Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Reive posted:

Thanks for the info guys!
I don't seem to be having any real difficulty yet so I'll just put off upgrading stuff unless I really feel I need it

Also is there like a cheatsheet for characters and mech names? Like a character select screen for a fighting game with just their face and name.
Literally the only ones I know is Ibis is that one girl and Granveil is the dragon-y mech.
I need to get a non OG game next so I sound like I know things.

Ok I just went through the libraries for mechs and characters and saved each thing in a picture with the name of the thing, I was going to put the name in the picture somewhere but all life and energy left my body before I could do that so someone else can do that and probably even make it look nice! Pilots includes both playable dudes and most major players in the story and the mechs are just things you have access to for most of the game. You can figure out multiple form things like the R1 and it's flying mode, but the Grungust type 3 actually splits into separate tank and plane parts rather than transform between tank/plane/robot like the Grungust Kai. SRX is made from R1, R2 and R3 combining and has a combo move with the R Gun (it shoots the gun).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/roz010x2sfw4ime/2ndOGsPilotsMechs.rar

Again, sorry I couldn't actually do it all the way and make you a super useful thing.

This is the wiki page for 2ndOGs with all the reference material you could need.

Go forth and enjoy anime robot games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Here is the only character that matters:

Katina Tarask (Blonde lady with the christmas light eyes)

Mech: The biggest thing the game lets you put her in

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
She also likes red. Unfortunately the biggest, reddest thing you can put her in is the Giganscudo and well...

I did a run with the melee Gespenst because judo throwing giant robots is very Katina, I also loved her in the Grungust 3 but Bullet kept force deploying in half of it cos he's awful.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

AS: Damned Abnormal Survivor. Not even you will be able to overcome the death, destruction and despair that lies ahead!
Chirico: …
AS: Accept it! For it to be avoided, you must all disappear!
Chirico: Even if you are a god…and even if the enemy’s fate itself…
Chirico: I will not obey.

:thurman::thurman::thurman:

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

EthanSteele posted:

I did a run with the melee Gespenst because judo throwing giant robots is very Katina, I also loved her in the Grungust 3 but Bullet kept force deploying in half of it cos he's awful.

Agreed on all counts.

I actually got the special edition version with the Red Gespenst Model, it's sitting on my shelf Punching an R-Gun right in the chest.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

EthanSteele posted:

While we're here, I'm on Z2.1 after doing Z and Will seems really slow to come by. Obviously it's because there's like 1/3 as many enemies throwing themselves on everyone, but it feels like the Will+ on X skills are way worse for it, or maybe they've always been bad and I'm only just noticing it now
They were almost always rather niche skills, but once you reach Z2.2 they decided to experiment by combining it into just one super Will+ skill which combines all of the old ones, which kind of solves that problem.

The best one is really Z2's version of Warring Heart though. Usually it sucks because it takes up a precious skill slot for only 5 Will but in Z2, it's 10. Will itself still wouldn't be that important in modern SRW damage calculations but it's mostly used to jumpstart the Continuous Action chain which requires 120 to activate.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Hunter Noventa posted:

Agreed on all counts.

I actually got the special edition version with the Red Gespenst Model, it's sitting on my shelf Punching an R-Gun right in the chest.

Nice, I'm very jealous. I keep thinking of a gunpla or whatever to Katina up but if you just make it red then it's a Char thing so you have to put actual effort in and I think the AGE-1 Titus is the most Katina Gundam already.

Davzz posted:

They were almost always rather niche skills, but once you reach Z2.2 they decided to experiment by combining it into just one super Will+ skill which combines all of the old ones, which kind of solves that problem.

The best one is really Z2's version of Warring Heart though. Usually it sucks because it takes up a precious skill slot for only 5 Will but in Z2, it's 10. Will itself still wouldn't be that important in modern SRW damage calculations but it's mostly used to jumpstart the Continuous Action chain which requires 120 to activate.

Yeah, that's what got me thinking actually. It's +10 Will for about the same cost as +1 (or 2) for X, and of course that means you need to attack 10 times whatever to get equal bonus and like you say, +10 is nuts for starting the Continuous Action cascade and helping kickstart Mars and Dancougar Nova before it gets the thing. I currently have Simon with his Ace Bonus equipped with Kamina's Sunglasses so he starts at 150 Will so he has +2 move from Dash and Continuous Action right out of the box. I've no idea how Will actually figures into damage calculations, all I know is more = better, is it even as much as 1% per point? All of the Will+ skills combined sounds way more useful than them separate, then you get a benefit no matter the situation and don't you have more slots in Z2.2 as well? As a last slot filler I might pick it up.

The only mystery to me is how Kallen always seems to have enough will to use the Radiation Wave no matter what.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

EthanSteele posted:

The only mystery to me is how Kallen always seems to have enough will to use the Radiation Wave no matter what.

Kallen starts with the 'start with bonus to morale" skill IIRC, and gains further starting morale bonuses for being aced.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Radiation Wave only requires her to be at 115 morale. +10 from starting with Resolve, or whatever you wanna call it, and +5 from being aced. Also if you're using Todoh I believe his ace bonus is +2 to will to all allies every turn, so that could also be contributing to it.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

EthanSteele posted:

I've no idea how Will actually figures into damage calculations, all I know is more = better, is it even as much as 1% per point?
1 point of Will translates to 1 point in Melee/Ranged (and also Defense but that doesn't really factor right now).

It works out more like 0.5% per point. Relatively speaking, the higher your base stats you already have, the less added bonus damage you'll get from more Will.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I thought it was a straight % modifier with 100 as the zero?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The way the damage formula in modern SRWs work is [Stat +Will]*Weapon Attack/200.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Kitfox88 posted:

I thought it was a straight % modifier with 100 as the zero?

The old games did it this way, and as a result Will was a ridiculously good damage modifier. I think Alpha Gaiden was the first one where they toned it down to the modern Will+Stat average setup.

Reive
May 21, 2009

EthanSteele posted:

Ok I just went through the libraries for mechs and characters and saved each thing in a picture with the name of the thing, I was going to put the name in the picture somewhere but all life and energy left my body before I could do that so someone else can do that and probably even make it look nice! Pilots includes both playable dudes and most major players in the story and the mechs are just things you have access to for most of the game. You can figure out multiple form things like the R1 and it's flying mode, but the Grungust type 3 actually splits into separate tank and plane parts rather than transform between tank/plane/robot like the Grungust Kai. SRX is made from R1, R2 and R3 combining and has a combo move with the R Gun (it shoots the gun).

Again, sorry I couldn't actually do it all the way and make you a super useful thing.

This is the wiki page for 2ndOGs with all the reference material you could need.

Thanks, I used those to make this, I think all the names are correct:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
DyGenGuar, don't confuse the poor lad.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

I like what I've played of OG 2nd, but I really miss the GBA OG games for having more robots that aren't either character-specific or just blatantly so-and-so's robot no matter who you put in it. Sure, a lot of it was similar Gespensts and Huckebeins, but the feeling of freedom was nice and I hope they can bring that back a bit now they've created lots of sprites they can reuse in OG3.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

1st Stage Midboss posted:

I like what I've played of OG 2nd, but I really miss the GBA OG games for having more robots that aren't either character-specific or just blatantly so-and-so's robot no matter who you put in it. Sure, a lot of it was similar Gespensts and Huckebeins, but the feeling of freedom was nice and I hope they can bring that back a bit now they've created lots of sprites they can reuse in OG3.

It's probably not going to happen. Pretty much every Original these days has a locked-to-their-character plotline.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Broken Loose posted:

DyGenGuar, don't confuse the poor lad.

It's the one with the sword that cleaves and/or smites evil. That isn't the Grungust.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

ImpAtom posted:

It's probably not going to happen. Pretty much every Original these days has a locked-to-their-character plotline.

I miss running through three licensed mechs as Cobray. He didn't stay in any of them long, but it did a hell of a lot more to make the series feel more connected together.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Reive posted:

Looks mostly correct, although that's Wildraubtier Schnabel (regular Wildraubtier is in earlier games, though since it isn't in OGs2 it really doesn't matter much).

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Reive posted:

Hell yeah, glad you could make a thing that's useful!

1st Stage Midboss posted:

I hope some sort of Huckebeins make it back, if only so the AM Gunner isn't actually worthless garbage. My OG2 end run had every Huckebein and the blue, black and Gespy Kick Gespensts because goddamn I love them weird little guys.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Huckebeins are 100% dead and gone. They've been phasing them out for a while now. I assume the GM Gunner will either get to combine with the Exbein when it shows up or they'll give Ryoto and Rio a new mecha. (Which, frankly, is way loving overdue.)

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

The Huckebeins are 100% dead and gone. They've been phasing them out for a while now. I assume the GM Gunner will either get to combine with the Exbein when it shows up or they'll give Ryoto and Rio a new mecha. (Which, frankly, is way loving overdue.)

I just want the non-Kusuha Alpha originals to be relevant again. Like, have all of the A-listers get teleported away to another dimension and have the Earth be defended by Kai, Tasuku, Leona, Carla, Yuuki, Ryoto, Rio, Russel, and Katina. And Masaki, because he manages to wander back home before anyone else can find it, because Midorikawa would throw a fit if he weren't in this.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I totally agree. I think I was throwing Rio into the Wildraubtier and Ryoto into the Armorlion, but they didn't see too much screentime.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I'm still mad Yuki and Carla or Ryoto and Rio didn't get the pheonix/turtle robot. I mean come on it would have been the best way possible to make them relevant.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ethiser posted:

I'm still mad Yuki and Carla or Ryoto and Rio didn't get the pheonix/turtle robot. I mean come on it would have been the best way possible to make them relevant.

Yuuki and Carla got the Raven upgrade in OGG at least which made them a lot more viable.

I think Rio and Ryoto are the only characters who have gotten a straight-up downgrade.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Yuuki and Carla got the Raven upgrade in OGG at least which made them a lot more viable.

I think Rio and Ryoto are the only characters who have gotten a straight-up downgrade.

They got those in OG2 if you got the secret, mind.

Either way, they're mechs are quite bad...at least Rio and Ryoto are bound to get their new Exbeins but what do Yuuki and Carla get?

Hell, Yuuki pretty much disappeared after the team left La Gias in OG2nd.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

ImpAtom posted:

What about the Excellence team? Sure, being in a three-seater mech makes them a high-quality repairbot, but c'mon.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ImpAtom posted:

but the gunner frame lives on!!

A gunner+Exbein combo would be the next step in ultimate fan fiction. Make it a three seater robot too.

maou shoujo posted:

What about the Excellence team? Sure, being in a three-seater mech makes them a high-quality repairbot, but c'mon.
That thing is broken as poo poo - but I do admit it was a bummer.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ImpAtom posted:

They've already gotten new Red Exbiens in Infinite Battle, so when OGs3 comes they'll probably have those.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
There are a lot of people they should honestly just leave out for a game, so they can come back in the next game after that and feel fresh and new, same as they do in the main line games sometimes.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Basically they aren't going to let you do the Gunner+Boxer combo like in the anime, so gently caress it. Get rid of the mechs.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

EthanSteele posted:

reminds me, what ever happened to Gate of Magus?

dude just straight up abandoned that site

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

There are a lot of people they should honestly just leave out for a game, so they can come back in the next game after that and feel fresh and new, same as they do in the main line games sometimes.

My secret dream is that the couple with the baby from the first game show up at the grand finale of the series to save the day.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Ethiser posted:

My secret dream is that the couple with the baby from the first game show up at the grand finale of the series to save the day.

As long as their mech has sweet mecha dreads I am on board.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ethiser posted:

One of their babies grows up into Basara and he shows up to play GONG after some space-time shenanigans.

Either that or the kid teaches Axel how to handle a guitar (could've easily sorted out Perfectio if you had one, man)!

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Brunom1 posted:

One of their babies grows up into Basara and he shows up to play GONG after some space-time shenanigans.

Either that or the kid teaches Axel how to handle a guitar (could've easily sorted out Perfectio if you had one, man)!

OG really needs a music character in the vain of Basara or Mic Sounders.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

maou shoujo posted:

Supposedly, the Excellence Rescue wasn't even going to happen in 2nd OGs, and the R team wasn't going to appear. They were a last minute addition for...whatever reason, and the Rescue was basically all that could be added for them to use due to time constraints.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Which leads me to this post. I support this idea. If the best option to bring back a character/set of characters is to throw in a hastily cobbled together compromise (i.e., what the Excellence Rescue basically is, if the rumors of the R team being a last minute addition are true), then they shouldn't have been used. And if Coffin of the End is really going to turn into "Tale of the Byston Well: Banpresto Original Edition", then there would be an influx of La Gias refugees (because Midorikawa ain't letting Masaki and co. die so easily) to the surface world after that game ends, making a growing OG cast get even larger and reducing the presence of a lot of characters even more than they already are in 2nd OGs.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

AradoBalanga posted:

Supposedly, the Excellence Rescue wasn't even going to happen in 2nd OGs, and the R team wasn't going to appear. They were a last minute addition for...whatever reason, and the Rescue was basically all that could be added for them to use due to time constraints.

Terada has the weirdest loving hate boner for the R cast. Their entire plotline is crammed into like 4 stages of one of the most awful and lovely SRWs in modern history(bookended by 15 stages of setup for the goddamned MX plotline of all things on the front and the Shura plotline on the back) and then the very next game they were at serious risk of being dropped altogether, only making it in in a slapped together repair-bot with the worst animations in the game. Because he "wanted to give other people time in the spotlight". They didn't get any loving time in the spotlight, god drat it! Look at the multi-game love letter that the A originals got or the fact that OGs2nd might as well have been the SRW D show and compare it to what the R cast got.

The R originals are some of my absolute favorites and it absolutely infuriates me that they're never going to get a proper showing ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

Terada has the weirdest loving hate boner for the R cast. Their entire plotline is crammed into like 4 stages of one of the most awful and lovely SRWs in modern history(bookended by 15 stages of setup for the goddamned MX plotline of all things on the front and the Shura plotline on the back) and then the very next game they were at serious risk of being dropped altogether, only making it in in a slapped together repair-bot with the worst animations in the game. Because he "wanted to give other people time in the spotlight". They didn't get any loving time in the spotlight, god drat it! Look at the multi-game love letter that the A originals got or the fact that OGs2nd might as well have been the SRW D show and compare it to what the R cast got.

The R originals are some of my absolute favorites and it absolutely infuriates me that they're never going to get a proper showing ever again.

The problem is that the R Original plot is honestly pretty barebones, even in its original game. The big gimmick it has is time travel and how that time travel impacts things which loses a lot of its luster in the Original setting where they can't fool around with it in the same way. Heck, there is even only one of the originals in the original game, it's more of a gender pick than anything.

That said, I don't think Terada hates it considering one of the big selling points of OG2nd was the inclusion of the R Originals in it, including their own stages. It just isn't something that offers a lot to work with.

(And honestly, in terms of characters being poo poo on, the R cast doesn't come close to Kusuha.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 6, 2014

• Locked thread