Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

i guess this makes me sound like a republican rear end in a top hat but why not just seperate everyone entirely? jail isnt a social club and theres no reason to let the general jail pop socialize at all. why arent they just kept in their cells with food delivered at specific times? why do they get stabbing hours where they can stab people they dont like when you could just as easily run a jail where that is impossible?

do you have any clue what solitary confinement does to someones psyche? you have to let them out at some point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.

THS posted:

do you have any clue what solitary confinement does to someones psyche? you have to let them out at some point

why?

i mean i get that not every prisoner is a terrible dude. we arrest people for stupid things and also terrible things, and thats why we have prisons of different security levels. but for violent offenders and places where violence is a huge problem, isnt it a better idea to just keep everyone seperated? has it been tried in modern times?

educate me

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

there are a ton of people in solitary confinement. its actually a pretty major human rights issue. another reason why we shouldnt treat people like complete dogshit and make them crazy is our justice system is ridiculously unfair and some of these people are innocent

welcome to the republican party?

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

why?

i mean i get that not every prisoner is a terrible dude. we arrest people for stupid things and also terrible things, and thats why we have prisons of different security levels. but for violent offenders and places where violence is a huge problem, isnt it a better idea to just keep everyone seperated? has it been tried in modern times?

educate me

It becomes a point of simple punishment with no rehabilitation aspect to it if you have someone in solitary 23hrs a day for years at a time or w/e, might as well just shoot em

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Corey Plumper posted:

It becomes a point of simple punishment with no rehabilitation aspect to it if you have someone in solitary 23hrs a day for years at a time or w/e, might as well just shoot em

pretty much this, solitary is torture and turns crazy people even crazier.

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

THS posted:

there are a ton of people in solitary confinement. its actually a pretty major human rights issue. another reason why we shouldnt treat people like complete dogshit and make them crazy is our justice system is ridiculously unfair and some of these people are innocent

welcome to the republican party?

maybe ill just never understand why its better to go crazy being alone than to get stabbed to death for stepping on someones shoes

i mean, to me, it just seems like even if i was wrongfully imprisoned id rather go crazy in my own head than get stabbed for something stupid

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

why?

educate me

Cause it makes people go even more batshit than they were before

E: also most people don't end up getting stabbed in prison

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

the best way of understanding this is looking at other countries that focus on rehabilitation of even violent offenders. far lower recidivism, far lower crimerates, education and counseling for prisoners, etc. being Tough On Crime is a perfect example of violence begats violence. youre just reinforcing a lovely society where prisoners have nothing to look forward to, no real reason or incentive not to be uncooperative assholes

right now we have a terrible prison system that focuses on punishment, putting everyone in solitary would make the problem a lot worse. humans are social creatures and its pretty much the worst torture imaginable to be alone

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Most people that say "they like to be alone" are just people who spend most of their time socializing online. People will legit go crazy if they don't have human contact.

americong
May 29, 2013

I'm not sure why everyone is attempting a complex argument here when the fact is that keeping our incredibly large prison population in true solitary would be more expensive (and we sure as poo poo don't need that)

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

americong posted:

I'm not sure why everyone is attempting a complex argument here when the fact is that keeping our incredibly large prison population in true solitary would be more expensive (and we sure as poo poo don't need that)

maybe i dont really understand why it is cheaper. right now we keep people in cells and spend money to keep rec areas and mess areas running, why would it cost more to keep the cells but not keep the mess/rec areas?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

yeah consider that prisons are super loving overcrowded and a lot of them live like this

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

americong posted:

Most of us aren't jews who immediately think about the monetary consequences of a action

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

maybe i dont really understand why it is cheaper. right now we keep people in cells and spend money to keep rec areas and mess areas running, why would it cost more to keep the cells but not keep the mess/rec areas?

you do understand this is how prisons used to be and it was loving torture right?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

right now we keep people in cells and spend money to keep rec areas and mess areas running

ahahahahahahaha

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

THS posted:

ahahahahahahaha

lol if you dont think prisons are a moneymaking scheme in america

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

when did i say otherwise. for profit is a totally different can of worms

btw this is getting super fuckin off topic. if we want a prison thread someone should make one

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
well there's not a lot of topic to cover. the guy did it and is being really obvious about doing it, to the point that his wife, having been told that she was under surveillance at the time, asked him "did you say to much?"

today it came out that while in jail he was using his phone time to try to collect on the insurance policies. sooooooo

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

yeah and he will be convicted and serve an extremely long prison term or life

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

THS posted:

yeah and he will be convicted and serve an extremely long prison term or life

well, you say that, but the south dont have a good track record with convicting white people

we will see

e: and i say this as a southerner who thinks the south is a decent place to live but drat we got some problems wrt convicting/arresting white folks

College Ruled
Apr 25, 2012

"It seems another associate has taken my friendly attitude as to insinuate desires that would exist outside the bounds of professional courtesy."

Courtesy of: 01001100 01001100 01001010 01001011 01010011 01101001 01001100 01101011
I wonder what that does to the resale value of that car.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

Don't prisoners kinda run those though? If you couldn't give prisoners jobs to do you'd have to pay salaries for other people to do them.

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

College Ruled posted:

I wonder what that does to the resale value of that car.

you just put "potential toddler ghost haunting back seat" and it becomes a huge hot thing on the internet, put up a kickstarter to get it sold and you're done

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

Shithouse Dave posted:

Don't prisoners kinda run those though? If you couldn't give prisoners jobs to do you'd have to pay salaries for other people to do them.

i wouldnt know, having never been to prison nor looked into how it is run. i literally dont know anything and am asking people to tell me why stuff wouldnt work, i dont have any power over the prison system so theres no reason to freak out over me having ideas that would be stupid in practice

Kombotron
Aug 11, 2011
goon roasted tot

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

i wouldnt know, having never been to prison nor looked into how it is run. i literally dont know anything and am asking people to tell me why stuff wouldnt work, i dont have any power over the prison system so theres no reason to freak out over me having ideas that would be stupid in practice

I don't really know either, but that's what they do on orange is the new black, and that one girl goon who was in arpaio jail had a prison job.

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

Shithouse Dave posted:

I don't really know either, but that's what they do on orange is the new black, and that one girl goon who was in arpaio jail had a prison job.

im glad we have a safe space on the internet for goons to post assiduously about things of which they have absolutely no clue of the reality of the situation

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Alexzandvar posted:

Most people that say "they like to be alone" are just people who spend most of their time socializing online. People will legit go crazy if they don't have human contact.

True. The only human contact I have is reading posts on GBS and without I would lock myself in a hot car.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Shithouse Dave posted:

im glad we have a safe space on the internet for goons to post assiduously about things of which they have absolutely no clue of the reality of the situation

lol u suck

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

Corridor posted:

lol u suck

penitentiary warden Corridor steps in to set the foolish goons straight on how his prisons are run

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013

you're incredibly thick!

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Titty Warlord posted:

you're incredibly thick!

and quite dumb as well! :stat: :wal:

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics

THS posted:

btw this is getting super fuckin off topic.

shut up

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

please dont be so mean

americong
May 29, 2013

we should totally have a prison thread but I do not care enough to make one

did we ever figure out how complicit the mother was in all this

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

Titty Warlord posted:

you're incredibly thick!

not just thick but long as well, the complete package

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013

not just thick but long as well, the complete package

lOL! :troll:

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

americong posted:

At best guilty of wanton and wilful stupidity

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

americong posted:

when the daycare told her that her husband had never dropped off her child, she said "he must have left him in the car!" when the staff said that there could be any number of explanations, she said, "no, he must have left him in the car."

she had googled how long it takes for a child/animal to die in a car, just as her husband had

she was told that she would be under surveillance while visiting her husband in the jail and literally the first thing she asked upon seeing him was "did you say too much?!" while her mother was present (standing next to her) at the visitation

so yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

americong
May 29, 2013

when the daycare told her that her husband had never dropped off her child, she said "he must have left him in the car!" when the staff said that there could be any number of explanations, she said, "no, he must have left him in the car."

she had googled how long it takes for a child/animal to die in a car, just as her husband had

she was told that she would be under surveillance while visiting her husband in the jail and literally the first thing she asked upon seeing him was "did you say too much?!" while her mother was present (standing next to her) at the visitation

so yeah

lmao I can't wait for the trial

• Locked thread