Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

Tonight's Tuesday Nitro is the final ever Clash of the Champions so come check it out in 20:

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/badmoviesworsewrestling

I hadn't seen the nWo dinner with a movie segment in forever.

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I can't believe those bastards joined the NWO.

I also can't believe the Dinner and a Movie guy actually took a Diamond Cutter! Truly and unironically the greatest moment in the history of our sport. Truly, the Clash of the Champions went out with a... bang.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I'm just getting to the new back issue now and there is a factoid in it that shocked me. I knew most of the other stuff but I had no idea that WCW's overall cable ratings were lower in the 1st quarter of 97 than they were in the first quarter of 96. That's really surprising. Obviously they are much higher than the WWF's and kept rising from that point.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Luigi Thirty posted:

I can't believe those bastards joined the NWO.

Not Annabelle Gurwitch, though!

Seriously that was awesome. You could tell when the reveal was coming and it was perfect.

Why did they stop doing Clash of Champions, anyway? Was it just replaced by Thunder?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Not Annabelle Gurwitch, though!

Seriously that was awesome. You could tell when the reveal was coming and it was perfect.

Why did they stop doing Clash of Champions, anyway? Was it just replaced by Thunder?

Yep, Thunder starts in January and by 97 they were only doing two Clashes a year, one in January and one in August.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Dave has to tell us who sent this letter:

quote:

Thanks for translating those interviews. Even working for WCW, most of us can't figure out what is being said or done.

Name withheld for obvious reasons

quote:

If you're wondering why Meng is being pushed as this killer singles wrestler, and then on the Saturday TBS show did a quickie submission job to Lex Luger, it's because the TBS match was taped on 4/16 and between 4/16 and 4/21 they decided to give Meng the new push and it was simply forgotten by all that he had just been taped days earlier during a squash job on television.

quote:

Roddy Piper wanted to do a live debate on television with Kevin Nash, but was wisely talked out of it.

quote:

At this point, even though it appears they are shooting, both sides pretty much know ahead of time what is going to be said in the interviews building up the six-man. It's one of those deals where it started off with guys out of control (and some would say they still are) but now they're trying to use it for business. The only concession is that Hall, Nash and Syxx are not supposed to call Flair & Piper "old."

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Goldberg appears to be having a stroke.

Del Raminos
Feb 13, 2012

Found Pac, I'm happy

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Stevie "Kidman" Richards

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I can't find Goldberg, he's so well hidden!

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

They captured my favorite Kidman gimmick so well. Smiley Kidman.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The last Clash of the Champions is hilarious. I could go for some Macho Gazpacho and N.W.Okra.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Endorph posted:

I can't find Goldberg, he's so well hidden!

My favorite wrestler's here, Qpon!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Golden Bee posted:

My favorite wrestler's here, Qpon!

I was hoping Cena would be on there.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Of all the stupid poo poo WCW did, I'm watching The Giant light up a cigarette on the way to the ring and I'm thinking it's right up there

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

triplexpac posted:

Of all the stupid poo poo WCW did, I'm watching The Giant light up a cigarette on the way to the ring and I'm thinking it's right up there
I think you mean awesome.

He squashed Disco Inferno with one hand while smoking.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Didn't someone get in trouble at one point for lighting up in a ring in London after they instituted an indoor smoking ban then tell everyone to gently caress off?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Luigi Thirty posted:

Didn't someone get in trouble at one point for lighting up in a ring in London after they instituted an indoor smoking ban then tell everyone to gently caress off?

R-Truth did this, not sure how much trouble he got into though. The crowd chanted "That's il-le-gal *clap* clap* *clap-clap-clap*" at him.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Memento posted:

R-Truth did this, not sure how much trouble he got into though. The crowd chanted "That's il-le-gal *clap* clap* *clap-clap-clap*" at him.

Best heel turn ever.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'm not sure how it is in London, but in a lot of the US you can smoke inside, if it's part of your act, even if it's illegal in that state. Mitch Hedberg used it as part of his standup routine.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Regrettable posted:

I'm not sure how it is in London, but in a lot of the US you can smoke inside, if it's part of your act, even if it's illegal in that state. Mitch Hedberg used it as part of his standup routine.

Hedburg has been dead for almost ten years. Things have changed since his delusional sunglassed rear end told jokes before he ODed.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Kevin Greene was excellent at GAS 1996. Especially considering how green (hahaha) he was.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Hedburg has been dead for almost ten years. Things have changed since his delusional sunglassed rear end told jokes before he ODed.

Whoa, did Mitch Hedberg gently caress your girlfriend or something when he was alive? This seems irrationally angry.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Whoa, did Mitch Hedberg gently caress your girlfriend or something when he was alive? This seems irrationally angry.

while that guy does seem to have a bug up his rear end, smoking has been way more vilified in the years since his death.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Mitch didn't gently caress his girlfriend, just a girl who'd get really mad if she heard him say that.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Mitch Hedburg hosed my ex-wife. After he died. I'm still sore about it.

Goddamn ghosts...

wizardstick
Apr 27, 2013
Doug Stanhope mentioned the smoking ban when he did stand-up in London a couple of years ago, as far as he saw it you were allowed if you were doing a theatrical production but because stand-up wasn't 'theatrical' he couldn't. I could see wrestling being classed as 'theatrical' in the UK....that or no one really cared.

EDIT:- It amuses me that the 'wrestling questions' thread is also discussing smoking/wrestling/Big Show at the moment.

wizardstick fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jul 5, 2014

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Also, they make fake cigarettes.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Out of candy

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Nah, I mean you can use prop cigarettes that glow and produce smoke and everything.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Wrestling Is Real

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

coconono posted:

Wrestling Is Real

People Are Fake

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
The biggest heel turn in history happened 18 years ago

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Scott Hall mugging at the camera annoys me so much, he almost ruined that whole speech

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

St Evan Echoes posted:

Scott Hall mugging at the camera annoys me so much, he almost ruined that whole speech

Not that the incoherent Hogan ramblings were doing much to help matters either.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Whatcha gonna do brother when the New World Organization runs wild on you?

I didn't know Scott Hall was physically capable of doing anything but :q: at the camera.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 7, 2014

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
I put on Bash at the Beach 2000 yesterday since I remember hearing how bad the Hogan/Jarrett segment was. I knew that WCW was a clusterfuck at the time, but it still amazes me by how much the crap seeped down through the whole card.

Going back to the original point of this post, what was the alignment of the Flithy Animals and the Misfist in Action? The show starts off with a Chavo vs Juventud match where both stables come out, get kicked out, and then proceed to come out and act like jackasses. I genuinely could not tell which stable were the heels because both of them were idiots. The only signal I got was that Mark Madden seemed to be cheering for Juvie, so I take it the Filthy Animals were heels?

Also, were all the heel/face alignments muddled during 2000 for WCW? Whenever you look at a card, it is always packed with big multi man matches from all kinds of stables. It really feels like a 15 year old's wet dream for booking with 10 different stables all going on at once.

The Juvie/Chavo match was horrible by the way. Juvie literally spent the first 5 minutes of the match selling an atomic drop/inverted atomic drop combo from Chavo. He was just walking around clutching his own rear end while Scott Hudson and Schiavone went on about how great of a match this was.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
The answer to all of this is "Vince Russo"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

MIA were always faces and at the time The Filthy Animals were supposed to be heels but the entire stable was exciting luchadores who were over as faces for years so