Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Anatharon posted:

It's too bad that isn't the case for the Detroit roof boss.

Always making GBS threads on Detroit :(

(it was actually Denver)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
In Tomodachi Life, you can give the Miis that populate your island presents when they level up. They actually use the presents when they're on their own.

I gave a rent-a-cat coupon to one of my Miis awhile ago, and when I checked on him just now he was playing with a black cat in his apartment :3:

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

kazil posted:

Always making GBS threads on Detroit :(

(it was actually Denver)

I really liked that they used Denver in that game. It's not a place you'd expect Japanese developers to know about, and it even looks plausibly like a futuristic Denver. There's a conspicuous lack of mountains in the distance when you're on the rooftops but otherwise, well done

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I'm still waiting for a game to take place in Phoenix. Ideally something like Watch Dogs but I'd settle for a single level. We're not that bad.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

carry on then posted:

I'm still waiting for a game to take place in Phoenix. Ideally something like Watch Dogs but I'd settle for a single level. We're not that bad.

Make it like that scene in Chronicles of Riddick where you have to outrun the sun or be cooked alive.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Len posted:

I guess I got lucky because through the dozen or so GFWL games I've played I never had a single issue making it work so I've never understood all the rage people have for it.

Only GFWL issue I ever had was back with Bioshock 2 - it would install GFWL but wouldn't let me sign into my account. Also had issues downloading patches & DLC until I ended up removing the GFWL components & reinstalling via the MS website.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

carry on then posted:

Madden et al. :v:

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

swamp waste posted:

I really liked that they used Denver in that game. It's not a place you'd expect Japanese developers to know about, and it even looks plausibly like a futuristic Denver. There's a conspicuous lack of mountains in the distance when you're on the rooftops but otherwise, well done

It's also where you get in swordfights with the Colorado cyborg Highway Patrol.

I love Revengeance a lot.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

swamp waste posted:

There's a conspicuous lack of mountains in the distance when you're on the rooftops but otherwise, well done

That John Denver's full of poo poo, man.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

swamp waste posted:

There's a conspicuous lack of mountains in the distance when you're on the rooftops but otherwise, well done

In the future, mankind has Blade Mode'd all mountains into a million tiny chunks :colbert:

But on topic, in Splinter Cell Blacklist, I really like how the stealth AI will notice if say you leave a door open or sometimes if you take out a guy's buddy they'll realize they're gone and start searching around.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

OneDeadman posted:

But on topic, in Splinter Cell Blacklist, I really like how the stealth AI will notice if say you leave a door open or sometimes if you take out a guy's buddy they'll realize they're gone and start searching around.

Also in Blacklist, the Sonar Goggles, which have replaced the thermal goggles since Conviction, work pretty much as you'd expect the old SC thermals to work... but with sonar instead because :science:. There's a mission in London where the weather is kind of awful, and every time there's a thunderclap in the distance, your sonar goggles static out a bit because of the noise overload.

Despite this, they are weirdly unaffected by gunfire.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

SkeletonHero posted:

Are you saying he doesn't have lyrics kick in? Because he totally does, it's just possible (and for some people much easier) to accidentally beat him without ever triggering his second phase.

It's a joke.

Also, I was thinking of DEHR when I said Detroit. :v:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

kazil posted:

Madden et al. :v:

that's Glendale you fucker

Halifax
May 22, 2006

Technology Equals Might Want to Loot Instead
Nap Ghost
I'm not sure if this happened in the first game, but in the new GRID game, if you're driving from an in-the-car perspective and break a window/windshield, the crowd noise gets louder.

carry on then posted:

Apparently the followup to Euro Truck Simulator 2, American Truck Simulator, is going to be based in California with the first expansion being Arizona, so we'll have that at least. You can finally just plow through the traffic on the 60 without giving a single poo poo.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Kirby Triple Deluxe has some amazing facial animations for absolutely EVERYBODY in the game. Especially when they are getting sucked into Kirby :allears:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Alouicious posted:

that's Glendale you fucker

Phoenix is so lovely not even the Cardinals want to play there? My condolences.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Looks like someone doesn't know about the amorphous blob of suburbs that is the Phoenix Metro Area.

As for plowing through traffic, I have to give Watch Dogs props for not having the police come after you for traffic violations. Nothing like barreling through Pawnee in the not-Firebird ramming everything on wheels off the road as you make your way to do donuts in the Blume parking lot.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I think the cops do care about moving violations, but only those they personally witness (a cruiser spawns naturally in the world, which is very rare, and you horse around in its line of sight). Once I switched to alert status out of nowhere while bombing down some backwoods road and that's the only way I can think of that it could have happened.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Persona 3 FES: If your teammates get critical hits sometimes they'll compliment or encourage each other. This is pretty generic for the most part but you do have a party member who is a dog, so it's possible to hear "Good boy! You deserve a treat!" :3:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

OneDeadman posted:

If enough go missing the last guys will panic and back off into a group, camping a doorway, or group together and refuse to separate. They'll also do something similar if you're murdering them in a straight out gunfight - freak out and refuse to advance on you because you've just killed a hundred of their guys holy poo poo. It's surprisingly reactive AI.

There's also 'heavy' guys who are in bulky armour and helmets, but you can shoot the latter off. If you do that then occasionally they'll stop and a double take at the fact their head is now vulnerable. It's so stupid. :3:

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

StandardVC10 posted:

Persona 3 FES: If your teammates get critical hits sometimes they'll compliment or encourage each other. This is pretty generic for the most part but you do have a party member who is a dog, so it's possible to hear "Good boy! You deserve a treat!" :3:

There's a similar line in FFXIII-2, Serah or Noel will say it to your monster party member, who can also be Sazh.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I blew through all 5 Blackwell games this weekend. There were many little moments I appreciated considerably. Something I thought was really funny was that the final part of the second to last game is basically peak Reddit: A creep in a fedora stuck in a platonic relationship drops negs on the woman to get her to break up with her new boyfriend and save the day. :allears:

Non Spoiler: The art quality increases exponentially over the course of the games, until the point in the final game where I genuinely am curious how they pulled it off. The screens in a particular shop in Epiphany are particularly impressively animated. Not bad for a game that runs on a tiny, tiny resolution.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

Sardonik posted:

I blew through all 5 Blackwell games this weekend. There were many little moments I appreciated considerably. Something I thought was really funny was that the final part of the second to last game is basically peak Reddit: A creep in a fedora stuck in a platonic relationship drops negs on the woman to get her to break up with her new boyfriend and save the day. :allears:

Non Spoiler: The art quality increases exponentially over the course of the games, until the point in the final game where I genuinely am curious how they pulled it off. The screens in a particular shop in Epiphany are particularly impressively animated. Not bad for a game that runs on a tiny, tiny resolution.

Ughh I need to play Epiphany so bad. Some of my favourite adventure games around. Each one gets exponentially better. Wadjet Eye is the loving best.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sardonik posted:

Dave Gilbert himself actually showed up in the thread of an ongoing screenshot LP of the Blackwell games (you'll need to go back a page to see him popping in to say hi), and apparently as cmndstab goes through Epiphany there's going to be some commentary from him about it.

quote:

Also, for those of you who have already played Epiphany (and I strongly recommend it, it's brilliant), there will be an extra reason for you to check out the LP when it arrives. In an extremely cool act, creator Dave Gilbert made himself available to answer a whole bunch of my spergy little questions about some of the more ambiguous parts of the series, such as individual character motivations, his thoughts on how the Blackwell universe operates and so forth. I will be including a little tidbit after each update, with roughly half of them discussing events from Epiphany while the other half discuss events from the previous games.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Ikaruga's first boss is a giant flying Gundam style mech called Eboshidori.

If you don't attack it at all, when 100 seconds pass it salutes you before flying away. :3:

According to the backstory, the pilot of it is the main character's archenemy or somesuch.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

carry on then posted:

Looks like someone doesn't know about the amorphous blob of suburbs that is the Phoenix Metro Area.

As for plowing through traffic, I have to give Watch Dogs props for not having the police come after you for traffic violations. Nothing like barreling through Pawnee in the not-Firebird ramming everything on wheels off the road as you make your way to do donuts in the Blume parking lot.

I remember reading I think in the booklet for the first Grand Theft Auto that their in game explanation was that there were so many murders and other bad poo poo happening in Liberty City that the cops didn't care about moving violations, I always figured that every other sandbox game like GTA took that approach if they ever had to explain it.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Metro: Last Light feels like it's constantly nudging you towards a stealthy approach, but it's really impressive when poo poo actually goes down and the alarm sounds. When you raise a ruckus in a Reich outpost, the moment when dudes in enormous riot armor come down an elevator and slooowly start advancing... the way their laser sights and headlamps sweep the darkness could be a 1-to-1 recreation from a movie.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I remember reading I think in the booklet for the first Grand Theft Auto that their in game explanation was that there were so many murders and other bad poo poo happening in Liberty City that the cops didn't care about moving violations, I always figured that every other sandbox game like GTA took that approach if they ever had to explain it.

In either Vice City or San Andreas there is a little blurb in the manual about how a new law banning children and dogs had just taken effect, so don't expect to see either in the city. That always cracked me up.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Your Gay Uncle posted:

In either Vice City or San Andreas there is a little blurb in the manual about how a new law banning children and dogs had just taken effect, so don't expect to see either in the city. That always cracked me up.

Liberty City Stories also has a few mentions of an upcoming ban on Motorcycles, along with the shutdown of the ferry.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Your Gay Uncle posted:

On the Saints Row site before they put the SR4 material up, there was a short snippet regarding the setting stating that it was illegal for kids to be on the street in the city, or something like that. Savvy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

The first Mafia game had a whole thing where if you were speeding or running lights you could get pulled over by the cops. Turns out that mechanic is super not fun.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Len posted:

Not overly surprised gamers freaked out over literally nothing.

I can't really blame them for freaking when it seemed likely to be shut down. I have a few games that won't even launch without GFWL or a really bad coding job that tricks the game into thinking you have it (and makes the game crash constantly).

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Len posted:

Not overly surprised gamers freaked out over literally nothing.

Games For Windows Live straight up ate my Dark Souls saves. And that's with it working, at full capacity.

I have absolutely zero faith in Microsoft to gracefully ease out and shut down such an incredibly shoddy and hacked-together system, and I guess they don't either, judging by their decision to extend it 'indefinitely'.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Your Gay Uncle posted:

One of the first radio transmissions in Crackdown mentions that all air travel has been suspended due to the recent surge of gang violence. If I remember correctly, there isn't even an airport.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
In Batman: Arkham City's Catwoman DLC Catwoman is a playable character and is extremely sexy. One of her moves is a sliding attack where you run and then slide into enemies in order to knock them over. Functionally, Batman has the same attack, but Catwoman's is kicked up a notch.

When Batman does the sliding attack he does the kind of slide you see baseball players do when they slide for a base, it looks OK and it is powerful, but Catwoman's sliding attack is just as powerful and several times more sexy. What she does is; 1) she gets on her knees, 2) she leans really far backwards so she is almost lying down 3) she spreads her legs, all of which is sexy individually, but when put together and accompined with her battle moans is probably the single most sexy move in the Arkham Series.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I don't know man, I find that scene where Batman is forced to punch a shark repeatedly much sexier.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I like how the police shouts holy poo poo when you disarm them in Mirror's Edge.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I've been playing STALKER Lost Alpha lately, which recently had its 1.0 release. I highly recommend it to anyone with a remote interest in STALKER, FPS or RPG games in general, as long as you can handle the token jank that's still being ironed out. It's 100% free and doesn't require any previous STALKER games. For those not in the know, a team of modders took the alpha builds of STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl that were released by GSC and have been building an entire STALKER game out of it. There's so much content and features, it's glorious. It's quickly becoming my favourite STALKER game.

My favourite little thing however: Anyone that's played a STALKER game before knows how integral PDAs are to the universe, although they're typically only used for missions and objectives. In Lost Alpha you actually get the odd texts from random STALKERs in the zone, sometimes with a science joke, sometimes warning of a mutant hot spot, or even a rumor on a stash. It's a really nice distraction when running/driving long distances in the zone and adds a sense of life to the often desolate world.

Jehde has a new favorite as of 09:17 on Jul 10, 2014

Mr. Giggles
Nov 4, 2009

7u880y posted:

In Batman: Arkham City's Catwoman DLC Catwoman is a playable character and is extremely sexy. One of her moves is a sliding attack where you run and then slide into enemies in order to knock them over. Functionally, Batman has the same attack, but Catwoman's is kicked up a notch.

When Batman does the sliding attack he does the kind of slide you see baseball players do when they slide for a base, it looks OK and it is powerful, but Catwoman's sliding attack is just as powerful and several times more sexy. What she does is; 1) she gets on her knees, 2) she leans really far backwards so she is almost lying down 3) she spreads her legs, all of which is sexy individually, but when put together and accompined with her battle moans is probably the single most sexy move in the Arkham Series.

I went off in my pants when I finished my bat grappler upgrade trials so I'm right with you goonsire!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Alhazred posted:

I like how the police shouts holy poo poo when you disarm them in Mirror's Edge.

Maybe I'm childish but I really enjoy it when your enemies swear super loud. I fell in love with Condemned: Criminal Origins when my first interaction with any enemy went like

"Federal agent, come out peacefully or I will use force"
"gently caress YOU"