Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Im going back to my original stance of Travolta being mostly poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I've only seen Battlefield Earth once, with RiffTrax, and I could barely get through it even with RiffTrax.

I saw it when it came out. There were like 4 people in the theater and by the end there were some stray chuckles but it wasn't the So Bad It's Good experience I naively hoped for.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Coffee And Pie posted:

You guys are forgetting the Travolta masterpiece that is Swordfish.

Swordfish is dumb garbage, but it is dumb garbage that just happens to own so hard.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

I don't like Rifftrax, I think they're p lame.

Like, I saw Avatar: Last Airbender with the Rifftrack and the jokes were all "Wow this dialog/acting is bad hahaha!" or "Zoku said he doesn't have time to date girls, he must be gay hahaha!".

Kramjacks fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 5, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

DNS posted:

I saw it when it came out. There were like 4 people in the theater and by the end there were some stray chuckles but it wasn't the So Bad It's Good experience I naively hoped for.
Yeah, it's not the funny kind of bad like Birdemic or The Room, it's just agonizingly bad.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Alright, I'm trying to narrow down which really unpleasant looking foreign film I watch tonight. I've got it down to:

Bullhead
A Hijacking
Mother
Pieta
A Touch of Sin

Help me decide*

*I'm probably gonna watch the one I feel like watching anyway, but feel free to try and sway me otherwise

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Yeah, it's not the funny kind of bad like Birdemic or The Room, it's just agonizingly bad.

Honestly I found Birdemic even harder to sit through than Battlefield Earth. It's kind of funny in brief moments but overall it's just dull and dumb.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Alright, I'm trying to narrow down which really unpleasant looking foreign film I watch tonight. I've got it down to:

Bullhead
A Hijacking
Mother
Pieta
A Touch of Sin

Help me decide*

*I'm probably gonna watch the one I feel like watching anyway, but feel free to try and sway me otherwise

Mother owns and is unpleasant as all get out.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

The only thing worthwhile that came out of Battlefield: Earth,

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Fat Lou posted:

Swordfish is dumb garbage, but it is dumb garbage that just happens to own so hard.

This is true. It's trashy fluff in the best way.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Bullhead
A Hijacking
Mother
Pieta
A Touch of Sin

Help me decide*

Watch Pieta and tell me how it is. I missed a chance to see it in a theater last year.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Kramjacks posted:

The only thing worthwhile that came out of Battlefield: Earth,

Nah, there's a lot of great stuff in Battlefield Earth. I's a masterpiece of comedy filmmaking.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Beyond sane knolls posted:

Mother owns and is unpleasant as all get out.

A Hijacking is alright, but really it is nothing special.
Mother is pretty drat good.
A Touch of Sin kinda let me down. It is one that I want to revisit, but it just did not do it for me and I am not 100% sure why.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Unpleasant movies are dope.

The movies that have made me the most uncomfortable are Antichrist, Trash Humpers, Salo, Cannibal Holocaust, Repulsion, Eraserhead, Pink Flamingos, Come and See, Only God Forgives and Possession and those are basically the top 10 movies of all time.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 5, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Unpleasant movies are dope.

Obv.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

DNS posted:

Watch Pieta and tell me how it is. I missed a chance to see it in a theater last year.

It's visually stylish, the set is awesome, but the twist is lamer than the original premise. I feel like a lot of Korean movies are that way.

A Touch Of Sin is the best and bleakest on that list.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
I will say that sometimes you never know how funny a movie really is until you see it with the right audience. Bloodsport is a film I've always loved but I was amazed at how much I was laughing when I saw it with an appreciative crowd. (Other thing that amazed me - how visually striking a film it was, projected in 35mm. The HK texture is awesome, and there's one shot where JCVD's doing the splits over a sunrise that made everyone gasp)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

axleblaze posted:

So what I think you're saying is that in ten years the world will be a Scientologist Theocracy where disliking the movie is an executable offense.

That is the only scenario in which I can see Battlefield Earth being considered a good movie.

That's exactly right.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Unpleasant movies can be dope, but frankly if there's nothing there but unpleasantness I can't get behind it.

Like, I love Eraserhead, Only God Forgives, Possession, and Come and See (which I really need to take off of my shameful list), but I somewhat dislike Salo and Antichrist and I've really soured on Cannibal Holocaust, because with all three they come off like the filmmakers were thinking "I want to make a movie that shocks people!" rather than just telling the story they wanted to tell and having it coincidentally be super uncomfortable.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Wake in Fright is a pretty great unpleasant movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Skywalker OG posted:

Wake in Fright is a pretty great unpleasant movie.

I really wanna do it on a double feature with Deliverance one of these days. Even the color schemes kinda compliment eachother.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

DNS posted:

I never thought O&A themselves were funny or likable but they used to have so many funny dudes on that I didn't really care.

Yeah the comedians they'd have on all the time made the show really listenable until they lost their poo poo when Obama was elected.

I haven't listened in years, and this news doesn't surprise me but this thread is the last place I expected to hear about it. Going to echo that the Face/Off bit is funny even though they're totally wrong; Face/Off rules.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

CloseFriend posted:

Saturday Night Fever is a good movie, but it has a really hosed up attitude about rape. I know it was a different time, but still.

This is from a while back, but Saturday Night Fever has a hosed up attitude about basically everything, and I think that's kinda the point.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

UnknownMercenary posted:

Yeah the comedians they'd have on all the time made the show really listenable until they lost their poo poo when Obama was elected.

Let's not forget Patrice O'Neal dying.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Holy poo poo, I just found out that the dude who directed Saturday Night Fever also directed Short Circuit and that makes me so happy.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Just went and saw A Hard Day's Night for the first time, in theaters, and that was just amazing. The entire movie I could not wipe the smile off of my face.
Definitely going to be my go-to "be happy" movie once I get the Criterion blu in.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/dgenerationass

At 8 EST I'm doing a double feature of Mr. Mike's Mondo Video and Maniac Cop with Heavy Metal Parking Lot in the middle as a sort of intermission.

As a pre-show I've got that There Will Come Soft Rains short and Lindsay Anderson's O Dreamland.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Kramjacks posted:

I don't like Rifftrax, I think they're p lame.

Like, I saw Avatar: Last Airbender with the Rifftrack and the jokes were all "Wow this dialog/acting is bad hahaha!" or "Zoku said he doesn't have time to date girls, he must be gay hahaha!".
Rifftrax has its moments. Part of me wants to say that my love for MST3k might be colored by nostalgia. But then I think of "Remember to believe in magic... or I'll kill you" and I just start laughing forever. Part of it is probably that MST3K had a bigger crew of writers and they probably spent more time crafting jokes. But I think a lot of what is lost between MST3K and Rifftrax is that they're not characters. I think having them play characters instead of being themselves actually allowed for a better group dynamic.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I Before E posted:

At 8 EST I'm doing a double feature of Mr. Mike's Mondo Video and Maniac Cop with Heavy Metal Parking Lot in the middle as a sort of intermission.

As a pre-show I've got that There Will Come Soft Rains short and Lindsay Anderson's O Dreamland.

Now there's a double feature. Make your intermission a DogLegs match.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Rifftrax has its moments. Part of me wants to say that my love for MST3k might be colored by nostalgia. But then I think of "Remember to believe in magic... or I'll kill you" and I just start laughing forever. Part of it is probably that MST3K had a bigger crew of writers and they probably spent more time crafting jokes. But I think a lot of what is lost between MST3K and Rifftrax is that they're not characters. I think having them play characters instead of being themselves actually allowed for a better group dynamic.

Nope, it's 100% the movies they choose. It's a lot lamer when it's something you saw in theaters last year.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

I Before E posted:

drat son, that's a hell of a lineup. I might try and tune in for Maniac Cop/Heavy Metal Parking lot.

I've never even heard of O Dreamland, but I really really love Lindsay Anderson.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Yeah, with a Rifftrax, I'm never not aware that they're just reading lines off a script in time to the movie. Which is, of course, exactly what they were doing on MST3K, but somehow it just felt more real because they were characters and not just Mike Nelson The Person Reading Lines.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I liked the Rifftrax of Return of the Jedi. I think it was the fact that it was a movie they (and I) liked but still had a lot of things you can poke fun at.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Let's not forget Patrice O'Neal dying.

I wish he was alive because he'd have hilarious things to say about what just happened.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

UnknownMercenary posted:

I wish he was alive because he'd have hilarious things to say about what just happened.

Right off the bat, he would've told Anthony to shut the gently caress up.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I ordered Face/Off on Blu-Ray from Amazon because of that discussion earlier :3: I've seen it a bunch of times already but it never gets old and I want to watch it again in all its high-definition glory.

Also a friend of mine hooked me up with passes for an advance screening of The Purge 2 next week, a week before it hits theaters :cool:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Hey this dropped without me noticing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQBMCyDQgQU
I'm not sure if I've mentioned this yet but this movie owns so god damned hard that it's ridiculous.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Nope, it's 100% the movies they choose. It's a lot lamer when it's something you saw in theaters last year.

The other thing is that on MST3K, Mike and the gang (and Joel, too) had a genuine love for low-budget B-movies. The weakest part of MST3K is when they did stuff like Godzilla vs. Megalon it just kind of falls flat -- but they also introduced me to a lot of lesser-known cult films I probably never would have seen, which is why stuff like The Brain That Wouldn't Die is so amazing to me.

It also helped that back then, Internet discussion wasn't as prolific outside of Usenet. In the day of Rifftrax, when they're primarily doing mainstream blockbusters like motherfucking Avengers, honestly half the jokes have already been made somewhere else.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I really wanna do it on a double feature with Deliverance one of these days. Even the color schemes kinda compliment eachother.

Deliverance loving pales in comparison to Wake In Fright though.

They're basically going full VOD these days, which I appreciate.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

I ordered Face/Off on Blu-Ray from Amazon because of that discussion earlier :3: I've seen it a bunch of times already but it never gets old and I want to watch it again in all its high-definition glory.

Also a friend of mine hooked me up with passes for an advance screening of The Purge 2 next week, a week before it hits theaters :cool:

Wanna just name other things that make me wish I was you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Deliverance loving pales in comparison to Wake In Fright though.

In terms of unpleasantness or in terms of just being a great movie?

• Locked thread