Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

No, not slow, anything but slow. How dare they.

Well it picked up actually but I don't think I'm a horrible monster for not being particularly fond of slow burns. But you go back to watching Mad Men at 1/5th speed or whatever if that offends you so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Never seen it.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

MentholsNBeer posted:

Was House of Lies season 3 any good?

No better than the first two.

It did have a dream sequence where Rosco was pop and lockin' in a post apocalyptic LA and a car got dropped on him looney tunes style though.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
That sounds awesome. Yea I liked the first 2 mainly because of Don Cheadle.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Man Nathan for You is super weird.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Fooz posted:

The best episodes are when the person he's trying to "help" are so much weirder than he is that he's visibly baffled by them. The best example of this is the end of the gas station rebate episode.

http://www.cc.com/episodes/z5sar1/nathan-for-you-gas-station-caricature-artist-season-1-ep-103

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

MentholsNBeer posted:

Was House of Lies season 3 any good?

If you liked the first two (I did) then absolutely it is.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Fooz posted:

Not really weird- it's an "anti" reality/business improvement show. I don't think I've seen a single show play down every aspect of it- and include so many awkward and dead air exchanges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvqcoR2AGMw&t=61s

It's the earnestness (or at least his facade) of Nathan which sells this show.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
The AV Club had a real good point in their recent review that what makes that show so bizarrely fun is how Nathan deliberately creates a conflict of tone. People expect the business support person to come in, be a brash, abrasive guy, and just declare that they know what's gonna happen, and so on. Instead, he comes in as the most sincere, awkward dork that this person has ever seen, and they're not sure whether to play to the camera or to be nice to the harmless person in front of them.

It's absolutely awkward cringe humor, but Nathan Fielder has mastered how to extract it from random people. It's fantastic.

It doesn't hurt that at least once a season he manages to create a buzz with an idea before the show even airs. I can't wait for the Dumb Starbucks episode.

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 5, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CaptainHollywood posted:

Not really weird- it's an "anti" reality/business improvement show. I don't think I've seen a single show play down every aspect of it- and include so many awkward and dead air exchanges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvqcoR2AGMw&t=61s

It's the earnestness (or at least his facade) of Nathan which sells this show.

"Scissors?"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I thought everyone were actors? I mean the people that ask for his help.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Mu Zeta posted:

I thought everyone were actors? I mean the people that ask for his help.

The show is mostly genuine from what I've seen and read through his interviews. Even the deli shop owner's daughter and the caricature artist have posted comments on his youtube channel saying what happened was real. It has the most "unmanufactured" drama I've ever seen in a reality show.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

The best episodes are when the person he's trying to "help" are so much weirder than he is that he's visibly baffled by them. The best example of this is the end of the gas station rebate episode.

http://www.cc.com/episodes/z5sar1/nathan-for-you-gas-station-caricature-artist-season-1-ep-103

Well this show seems pretty ok. I had assumed all CC was doing these days was hot garbage like Workaholics.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IRQ posted:

Well this show seems pretty ok. I had assumed all CC was doing these days was hot garbage like Workaholics.

Amy Schumer, Nathan For You, Key and Peele, Jeselnik Offensive, Broad City... it's practically a renaissance for the network.

e: Drunk History, Review...

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I can vouch for Review and Nathan for You at least. Get on it.

The second to last episode of Nathan for You might be one of the most audacious things I've seen on TV.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Even Workaholics has its moments. Like the Juggalo episode.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

IRQ posted:

You're hot garbage.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

People have been talking about how awesome Comedy Central is these days for what, a year? More?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

IRQ posted:

I had assumed all CC was doing these days was hot garbage like Workaholics.

Pretty much still the same, but there's a couple good bits in most of the new shows. They at least seem like they're trying, which hasn't been the case in ages.

IFC's been picking up the slack lately in moderately funny shows.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

What channel does Billy on the Street come on? That's a show that almost never fails to keep me laughing constantly but I can never remember when it comes on or what channel and my dvr seems to dislike recording it.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

raditts posted:

What channel does Billy on the Street come on? That's a show that almost never fails to keep me laughing constantly but I can never remember when it comes on or what channel and my dvr seems to dislike recording it.

It's Fuse, I think.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Bown posted:

People have been talking about how awesome Comedy Central is these days for what, a year? More?

Maybe everybody is just super high all the time, I don't know.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
....not all the time okay

Nah, the amount of awesome new series' that have premiered on CC since the beginning of 2013 has been really impressive when you consider that before then it pretty much had became the Workaholics/roasts channel (that also had Key & Peele).

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

They had Review in the can for over a year. I can understand the frustration Daly and co. had with it being filmed and edited but not aired, but I think you can make a decent argument that had Review aired when it first could have (and not when also surrounded by other good shows that drew attention to the network in general) it would not have received the deserving praise and attention it got.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Shageletic posted:

I can vouch for Review and Nathan for You at least. Get on it.

The second to last episode of Nathan for You might be one of the most audacious things I've seen on TV.

Yeah Review was ok, it's like a poor man's Porkin' Across the USA. Nathan for You really does seem to have something to it though. Surprisingly dry for CC fare, which seems lately to opt for:

scary ghost dog posted:

You're hot garbage.

Oh, sorry, here let me tell you the funniest joke ever, Workaholics fan: LOL MARIJUANA!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope that helps soothe your feelings.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jul 6, 2014

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic
So yeah, a certain show ended for the season, so I've begun watching other well renowned series. I'm in the middle of season 2 of Dexter and I like it so far, but I've heard it takes a nosedive in the later parts. I'd rather remember the good stuff, is season 3 well off? 4?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

If you really must watch it, stop after 4.

Even better just stop now.

Even better go back in time and don't start it in the first place.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The best time to stop watching a show is when you're no longer enjoying it.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

If you really must watch it, stop after 4.

Even better just stop now.

Even better go back in time and don't start it in the first place.

I'd stop after 5. It has it's downs but it's ending is really the best way to end the series

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Pillowpants posted:

I'd stop after 5. It has it's downs but it's ending is really the best way to end the series

Are sure you don't mean season 4? Because season 4 would have been one hell of an end to a show. I can barely even remember even the end of season 5.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pillowpants posted:

The end of season 5 is terrible and only looks better in comparison to the later seasons since they managed to be even worse.

Just... just don't watch Dexter. It's real bad.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Book Barn/TVIV hybrid question: are there any good books about The X-Files out there? Not novelizations or whatever, but rather books about the show itself, the making of, how influential it was, maybe cool background info about the spoooooky stories?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

IRQ posted:

Yeah Review was ok, it's like a poor man's Porkin' Across the USA. Nathan for You really does seem to have something to it though. Surprisingly dry for CC fare, which seems lately to opt for:

Oh, sorry, here let me tell you the funniest joke ever, Workaholics fan: LOL MARIJUANA!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope that helps soothe your feelings.

I bet you think drunk history sucks because drunk people aren't funny.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

scary ghost dog posted:

I bet you think drunk history sucks because drunk people aren't funny.

Drunk History isn't funny because its just boring people ad-libbing poo poo about history. It reminds me a lot of that cartoon from a year or so ago that was written by the lead animator's 8 year-old child. Its premise was that a child doesn't understand story structure and makes crazy logical leaps, but that's not actually a sustainable premise for a tv show. Its an idea, a one-note joke. After the first episode, the wackiness randomness of a child's imagination becomes incredibly tedious. Drunk History is no different. The joke is that the narrator is drunk and mistelling history, but once you've seen one episode, you've heard the punchline and the "joke" the series is based upon stops being funny.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 6, 2014

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Irish Joe posted:

Drunk History isn't funny because its just boring people ad-libbing poo poo about history. It reminds me a lot of that cartoon from a year or so ago that was written by the lead animator's 8 year-old child. Its premise was that a child doesn't understand story structure and makes crazy logical leaps, but that's not actually a sustainable premise for a tv show. Its an idea, a one-note joke. After the first episode, the wackiness randomness of a child's imagination becomes incredibly tedious. Drunk History is no different. The joke is that the narrator is drunk and mistelling history, but once you've seen one episode, you've heard the punchline and the "joke" the series is based upon stops being funny.

...are you referencing Axe Cop??

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah, I think that's the one.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

hollylolly posted:

...are you referencing Axe Cop??

He's right about Axe Cop. The actual comic ran out of steam after a few issues, making a cartoon out of it and cramming it full of internet memes (Ron loving Swanson!) just made it even more tired.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Hey-o, 2014 TV IV Awards thread, finally.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Irish Joe posted:

The best time to stop watching a show is when you're no longer enjoying it.

Irish Joe posted:

Drunk History isn't funny because its just boring people ad-libbing poo poo about history.

I'm agreeing with Irish Joe a lot these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I like drunk history for the history not the drunks.

• Locked thread