Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
So how exactly do you use Yahoo Screen? I can't seem to figure out how to watch full episodes of Burning Love. It's all those 20 second clips. Why do they make this poo poo so obtuse?

Tried signing in and following and everything.. idgi

Garfu fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Irish Gal
Jul 8, 2012

Your existence amounts to nothing more than a goldfish swimming upriver.

PS: We are all actually cats
Guys...

I just finished a full series binge wash and I just want to say...

I feel like I just met God.

Or I'm just really drunk right now and don't quite know whats going on

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

That Irish Guy posted:

Guys...

Your first time with Community? This is a special day and you are a lucky, lucky person for picking the right time to get into it.

Being a Community fan in real-time has been the hardest relationship I've ever had.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

El Tortuga posted:

Your first time with Community? This is a special day and you are a lucky, lucky person for picking the right time to get into it.

Being a Community fan in real-time has been the hardest relationship I've ever had.

Between Community and my brief stint with barely functioning alcoholism...Yeah, Community was worse. At least I *knew* when I would/could get more booze.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

McGann posted:

Between Community and my brief stint with barely functioning alcoholism...Yeah, Community was worse. At least I *knew* when I would/could get more booze.

Hopefully you had a good chaser for season 4. :v:

That Irish Gal
Jul 8, 2012

Your existence amounts to nothing more than a goldfish swimming upriver.

PS: We are all actually cats

El Tortuga posted:

Yup, I had only seen one episode, but decided the best way to watch this awesome show was all at once, and I can't think of a single episode I actually disliked-

ETB posted:

Hopefully you had a good chaser for season 4. :v:

Oh. I started drinking at season 4. Welp, that explains why I don't remember any bad episodes :v:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Mske sure you didn't leave your stove on.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Has there been any talk on a reduced show budget as a result of Yahoo picking it up, rather then an actual studio?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Babygravy posted:

Has there been any talk on a reduced show budget as a result of Yahoo picking it up, rather then an actual studio?

Yes, they've said that the budget will be along the same lines as Season 5.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

That Irish Guy posted:

Guys...

Can't it be both?

Production
Jun 11, 2001
It's just great to see an Irish who's too drunk to poo poo on every thread on the forum, for once.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Klungar posted:

Which means they'll have quite a bit less money to produce the show.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zeWmwjAy_U

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

Klungar posted:

That's not actually too then.. Any idea what the old budget was as a ration to season 5?

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

Klungar posted:

This doesn't make sense to me. If Community is supposed to be some kind of flagship for Yahoo, shouldn't they be prepared to actually spend some money on the show? They're not exactly poor.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Sakarja posted:

This doesn't make sense to me. If Community is supposed to be some kind of flagship for Yahoo, shouldn't they be prepared to actually spend some money on the show? They're not exactly poor.

Calling it a flagship is a little much. It's a lot more like what Arrested Development was to Netflix. It's an indicator to production companies that Yahoo is in the game, that they are a credible outlet for high level productions. When you think of Netflix series you think more about House of Cards or Orange is the New Blank now.

Yahoo is trying to buy credibility as a content provider, starting with Community.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

ashpanash posted:

Calling it a flagship is a little much. It's a lot more like what Arrested Development was to Netflix. It's an indicator to production companies that Yahoo is in the game, that they are a credible outlet for high level productions. When you think of Netflix series you think more about House of Cards or Orange is the New Blank now.

Yahoo is trying to buy credibility as a content provider, starting with Community.

You're right, flagship was the wrong word for it. What you said is what I was going for; they're using Community to establish and draw attention to themselves as a content provider. Maybe it's the wrong way to think about it, but to me it just seems strange to be cheap about it. It doesn't exactly signal confidence. But maybe that's beside the point.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Sakarja posted:

You're right, flagship was the wrong word for it. What you said is what I was going for; they're using Community to establish and draw attention to themselves as a content provider. Maybe it's the wrong way to think about it, but to me it just seems strange to be cheap about it. It doesn't exactly signal confidence. But maybe that's beside the point.

I'm sure Yahoo will do everything they can. You'll probably hear lots of complaints about the fourth season of Arrested Development - for many different reasons - but one thing I have never heard is anyone complaining about Netflix being hard to work with or detrimental in any way to the process.

Being a pain in the rear end or a stickler for things does Yahoo absolutely no good, because again, they're actually in a different marketplace, trying to attract production companies and creatives. We're just benefiting from the debris.

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

ong-time listener, first-time caller.

I wouldn't look at keeping funding equal to the fifth season as "being cheap about it" - for moving from a broadcast network to a fledgling online content provider, not cutting the budget is probably the best scenario we could reasonably hope for. To me, pledging to fund the show at the current levels is a serious commitment for Yahoo. We'll probably never get back to the beautiful outdoor shots of the first two seasons, which is a shame, but I think we can mostly agree that many of Community's strongest episodes rely heavily on the characters' interactions, and very little on expensive production - e.g. the bottle episodes, D&D, My Dinner with Abed, Chaos Theory, etc. Besides, Dan Harmon has produced quality work with much smaller budgets before, so I'm confident it'll still be funny.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Will Mr Egypt appear in a crossover episode?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
How much does Yahoo Screen cost? Any plans to up the charge once Community hits?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

swickles posted:

How much does Yahoo Screen cost? Any plans to up the charge once Community hits?

It doesn't cost anything (but I think it has ads). I believe it's just available for those in the US (or appearing to be), though.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
US only? And they wonder why Australians pirate so much. As a country we were the biggest torrentors of game of thrones because it was hard to get here legit, you'd think that would show there is definitely demand for the content, its confusing why a company like yahoo who wants to make a name for themselves in the online distribution business wouldn't tap into a largely ignored market, especially when they are providing content for free anyway. They could even get away with charging a small amount, its not like the Australia tax hasn't become an accepted thing.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
You forgot to mention the only station that broadcasts it here us pay cable :(

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

There are usually issues with international copyright law which prevent broadcast companies from instantly making their properties available to other countries. I'm sure they'd like to do it faster and more conveniently if they could, but there are actual legal barriers involved, they don't just block viewers from outside their country for no reason.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Babygravy posted:

What, Game of Thrones? Being on HBO, isn't that the case everywhere?

There's a reason it's the most pirated show on earth.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jul 7, 2014

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
:ssh: pretty sure non-US users with a VPN will be able to watch it. I went on Screen just to test it out the other day and was watching the pilot for The Leftovers within about 30 seconds.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Babygravy posted:

That's the case in the US too. It's just that Australians aren't really used to pay cable the way the US is. And most of the really big shows from overseas go to the free-to-air networks.

Also the single monopolistic PayTV provider in Australia is terrible.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jul 7, 2014

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Can't Americans watch GoT on HBO GO? I know that's not free, but isn't it cheaper than a cable bundle?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

BreakAtmo posted:

Can't Americans watch GoT on HBO GO? I know that's not free, but isn't it cheaper than a cable bundle?

HBO Go isn't an independent service like Netflix is. You have to have a cable subscription WITH HBO to use it, because ComCast and its ilk are a shakedown racket.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

HBO Go isn't an independent service like Netflix is. You have to have a cable subscription WITH HBO to use it, because ComCast and its ilk are a shakedown racket.

Of course. Bow before the Benevolent Hand of the Free Market.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Rewatched season 5 and man, GI Jeff is a way better episode than I remembered. and Basic Story has a very funny script and then Basic Sandwich has maybe the weakest jokes of any Dan Harmon-era Community episode. and MeowMeowBeenz is still my favourite Community episode ever. Its sheer ambition outweights its messiness for me; it's the Synecdoche, New York of Community episodes.

Someone a few pages ago asked me why I thought the Hickey/son relationship in D&D2 was rushed and I have to admit it worked a lot better for me this time. I think it's just because of how quickly they introduce him and how they have to kind of pave over stuff they wrote already to make it make sense. ("no, that was my gay son, this is my other son who we've decided we need for this story").

Overall the season has its flaws and is probably weaker than the other Harmon seasons but for the fifth season of a network sitcom it's still insane and has at least 3-4 eps that rank up there with the best of em.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah I rewatched season 5 recently and it's astounding to me how well done the season is as a whole, besides the last two episodes there's no real weak spots (and even then I think it's the finale that's weak, basic story I really admire for its aims)

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I don't know how anyone could dislike MeowMeowBeenz when it has Koogler in it.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
My favorite joke of all time on this show has to be this one from Season 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGHNwrBLTfs

I was in stitches from the very beginning and could not stop laughing at the "North Cafeteria" joke.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Solvency posted:

My favorite joke of all time on this show has to be this one from Season 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGHNwrBLTfs

I was in stitches from the very beginning and could not stop laughing at the "North Cafeteria" joke.

Same here. I was almost in tears after this joke.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
I somehow missed the joke while watching the episode

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

This is rumored to be happening: http://www.hypable.com/2014/07/06/yahoo-planning-community-movie-after-season-6/

#sixseasonsandamovie

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

I've seen a bunch of websites reporting a Community movie, and they all have that one Sony guy's quote as their only source. He was almost certainly being sarcastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
He almost certainly meant it, what are you talking about? It doesn't come off as sarcasm at all.

• Locked thread