Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

My bad. It's been a while since I've played, so I forgot where the chapter breaks are. 3 still has some really good fights, and the best weapon in Jake's campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
The area after you reunite Jake and Sherry but before you get assaulted by the tank had some of the best PVP in the game back when people played Agent Hunt, and it makes me sad that the popularity of the game fizzled so quickly after the PC release, because anyone playing now just won't get the same experience.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Actually, since the summer sale I've consistently had agent hunt players joining in. What a cool idea it is, it raises the tension a lot to know a human player somewhere has your number.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Geight posted:

The area after you reunite Jake and Sherry but before you get assaulted by the tank had some of the best PVP in the game back when people played Agent Hunt, and it makes me sad that the popularity of the game fizzled so quickly after the PC release, because anyone playing now just won't get the same experience.

:respek:

That's the only place I play Agent Hunt, and I always run through and trigger all the enemy spawns and have a showdown in the bath.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I beat Jake's campaign and I just straight up can't handle the credit music I can't believe they wrote this

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Kaubocks posted:

I beat Jake's campaign and I just straight up can't handle the credit music I can't believe they wrote this

is this what i missed

is this how it feels to BELIEEEEEEVEEEEE

RE5 had a pretty weird credits song, too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdfIbkX2Wpg

But it also had Winds of Madness and Sad But True, sooo yeahhhh

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 2, 2014

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

So in Europe there's a pretty massive Japanese games sale on PSN tomorrow that this thread may be interested in, including a bundle of every single RE game on PSN for ~£40. The individual numbered games don't seem to be on sale, though.

quote:

Resident Evil Super Bundle (Not available in Germany) (Discount goes live Thursday 3rd July)
Was €69.99/AU$99.95/£59.99, now €49.99/AU$69.95/£39.99
Additional 15% discount for PS Plus members

Resident Evil Revelations (Discount goes live Thursday 3rd July)
Was €29.99/AU$39.95/£19.99, now €14.99/AU$17.95/£10.99
Additional 20% discount for PS Plus members

Resident Evil: Chronicles HD Collection (Not available in Germany)
Was €26.99/AU$40.95/£21.99, now €10.99/AU$16.45/£8.99

RESIDENT EVIL CODE: Veronica X
Was €19.99/AU$29.95/£15.99, now €9.99/AU$14.95/£7.99

Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles (Not available in Germany)
Was €14.99/AU$22.95/£11.99, now €6.99/AU$10.45/£5.79

Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City
Was €14.99/AU$22.95/£11.99, now €7.49/AU$11.25/£6.19

Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles
Was €14.99/AU$22.95/£11.99, now €6.99/AU$10.45/£5.79

Akuma fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 2, 2014

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Are the Chronicles games worth it on PS3? I have a Wii as well so not sure if that's a better option.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Convex posted:

Are the Chronicles games worth it on PS3? I have a Wii as well so not sure if that's a better option.

As someone who's played both, if you have a Move, there's no doubt the PS3 versions are superiour. Otherwise you may as well stick with the Wii versions.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I'd just get the Wii versions. They're most likely cheaper, and the HD versions don't really look any better besides running at 720p.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
All this Resident Evil 6 talk.. I never beat the game because when I finally got it none of my friends had already beaten it and didn't want to play it again. I should go back and finish. Heck, I'd even be down to play through 5 again. Anyone with Xbox360- my name is FastestGunAlive but I'm rarely idling on there so its better to hit me at doctorfunkenstein on steam if you want to set something up.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Think I'll hold off and pick up the Wii versions. Cheers

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Convex posted:

Think I'll hold off and pick up the Wii versions. Cheers

If you haven't already, I suggest picking up a pistol mod for the Wii controller. It makes playing Wii shooters like Chronicles and the House of the Dead series much more pleasurable.

The Nyko Perfect shot is a solid choice:

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

Anonymous Robot posted:

Actually, since the summer sale I've consistently had agent hunt players joining in. What a cool idea it is, it raises the tension a lot to know a human player somewhere has your number.

If there is one feature Capcom should keep from RE6 it has to be Agent Hunt, shame there isn't many sections where Agent Hunt happens I can only recall 6.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Vakal posted:

If you haven't already, I suggest picking up a pistol mod for the Wii controller. It makes playing Wii shooters like Chronicles and the House of the Dead series much more pleasurable.

The Nyko Perfect shot is a solid choice:

Are the HotD Hand Cannon shells no longer available? Those were the best.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Are the HotD Hand Cannon shells no longer available? Those were the best.

Those are now rare and valuable I'm afraid. :(

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!
Is there a trainer, pc version, or something to unlock everything on RE6? I just want to play mercenaries, not re-do the whole campaign

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The PC version starts with mercs and all campaign checkpoints unlocked unless they fixed that in a patch.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!
Oh? Really? I turned it off because I couldn't skip the whole dumb intro with Leon, might as well endure it.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Honest Thief posted:

Oh? Really? I turned it off because I couldn't skip the whole dumb intro with Leon, might as well endure it.

The worst thing for me is that it definitely isn't the same goofy, charming Leon from Resident Evil 4. Sure, the combat is still over-the-top, but it works even better if the character isn't so serious all the time, and makes one-liners and cheesy comebacks to the villains.

Chris and Sheva were never that interesting in RE5 either, just staring blankly at the villains while they describe their terrible plans, and constantly reminding each other how great it is to be partners.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I think that's part of why I liked Sherry/Jake's campaign most, since it was a bit goofier than the other two

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Yeah, Jake and Sherry are hands down the best campaign since they both act like actual people instead of the boring rear end Super Serial Dark and Angsty clones that comprise the other 4.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Started playing Dead Space 3 since it went free on PS+ and it's been scratching the RE4 itch better then 5 or 6 ever did. Too bad the plot is so dumb, they could have aped Event Horizon a bit more and it would have been the best.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The initial setting of a basically a haunted spaceship graveyard is great but they totally blow it. The graphics are weirdly worse than Dead Space 2 somehow too. I don't know if it's something with how they chose to do the lighting in it or what but I tried them one after the other to make sure when I noticed it. Is it that the framerate isn't quite as smooth?

The writing really is like beyond awful though. DS1 and 2 worked great because it was to the point and everything directly served the atmosphere so well. Still it does scratch the itch, I'd be real disappointed if I had spent $59.99 on it.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
Would Operation Raccoon City be worth it at low prices? do people even play the game online at all or would I be better off buying the outbreak games instead.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

The initial setting of a basically a haunted spaceship graveyard is great but they totally blow it. The graphics are weirdly worse than Dead Space 2 somehow too. I don't know if it's something with how they chose to do the lighting in it or what but I tried them one after the other to make sure when I noticed it. Is it that the framerate isn't quite as smooth?

The writing really is like beyond awful though. DS1 and 2 worked great because it was to the point and everything directly served the atmosphere so well. Still it does scratch the itch, I'd be real disappointed if I had spent $59.99 on it.

Yeah, I liked the gun crafting and the general atmosphere of the ship graveyard, but everything else about that game was awful. I reached the planet, stopped playing and never looked back. Just even the combat encounters were lazy and lovely - the previous games did such a good job of putting you into fights where you had to adapt to the various enemy types and combinations thereof, but it felt like 80% of the encounters in 3 were "here are a couple generic necromorphs". In my opinion Dead Space 1 excelled by being the game Doom 3 wishes it was, but then 3 is basically just Doom 3.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

SirDrone posted:

Would Operation Raccoon City be worth it at low prices? do people even play the game online at all or would I be better off buying the outbreak games instead.

No.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Kaubocks posted:

Also I'm pretty sure that's Troy Baker (Jake's VA) singing it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

SirDrone posted:

You'd only really be able to play with folks you set up to play with - finding random people online won't be easy since nobody's really playing it. Last time it was brought up a lot of people in this thread jumped up to defend it, but I couldn't stand O:RC.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Last time I jumped on on the PS3 which was about 3 months ago, there were people still playing versus. But they were all like max level Japanese players.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

SirDrone posted:

Get Painkiller: Black instead.
They are still selling Outbreak?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Dino Crisis 1 and 2 are on sale this weekend for 99 cents on PSN.

For argument's sake, if you could only buy one of the two, which would it be?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

1redflag posted:

Dino Crisis 2 is the better game but it is way more of an action game. It is effectively Resident Evil 3's Mercenary mode pushed out into a full game. Dino Crisis 1 is a lot more horror.

As far as my answer goes, I bought DC2 as soon as it came onto the store and didn't buy DC1 until this sale.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

1redflag posted:

1 is far better, 2 is like some weird mercenaries hybrid and not as good.

Course I am a weirdo who prefers the old RE style and I am not a fan of what RE turned into after 3 so take it with a grain of salt.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Alteisen posted:

Course I am a weirdo who prefers the old RE style and I am not a fan of what RE turned into after 3 so take it with a grain of salt.

As someone who agrees with you, I had DC1 before but never got around to playing it and I bought 2 on the sale. I've been playing Dino Crisis 1 over the past couple of days and getting really frustrated with it because I've been trying to playing it like the old Resident Evils but even in the first game it's pretty combat-focused, the dinosaurs are obviously much faster than zombies and harder to dodge, and the starting pistol is basically RE's knife-- completely worthless unless your enemy is already trapped. I played through the first couple of areas of Dino Crisis 2 to take a break and it feels much better than Dino Crisis 1 gameplay-wise... the survival horror formula just feels like it doesn't really work with dinosaurs.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

That loving Sned posted:

The worst thing for me is that it definitely isn't the same goofy, charming Leon from Resident Evil 4. Sure, the combat is still over-the-top, but it works even better if the character isn't so serious all the time, and makes one-liners and cheesy comebacks to the villains.

Chris and Sheva were never that interesting in RE5 either, just staring blankly at the villains while they describe their terrible plans, and constantly reminding each other how great it is to be partners.

So wrong. The best part about 5's cutscenes is chris/sheeva being stoneface serious all the time, despite all the insanity going on.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

As someone who loves RE4 to death, I still prefer the first Dino Crisis. That game had some pretty scary atmosphere and the dinos were insanely powerful early on and you had to run from about every encounter. The only time I ever fought anything was to clear out dinos in main hallways that I used often, otherwise I didn't bother. The thing that bummed me out was that weapons were treated like hoses insomuch that you never had to reload. As long as you had the ammo you could continuously fire until you ran out of ammo - at least for the pistol. The grenade launcher was single-shot, if I remember correctly. Its been a while.

I did like 2 but I'd take the first game over it. Man, it needs to come back. Regina was a great character. I remember reading rumors upcoming new Guerrilla IP may be like Dino Crisis but that was before E3 so it was probably wishful thinking.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

1redflag posted:

Dino Crisis 2, mostly because it's the proof you can make crazy action with fixed cameras and tank controls (good tank controls though).

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I think I like them both equally. However, I would give the edge to 2 if only because Dino Crisis 1 has QTE's where you have to mash the button. But I think part 1 has a lot more personality and is much more atmospheric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graboid
Dec 16, 2013

I've been catching up with this thread, and I'm glad, because I've now watched those "Thanks" music videos dozens of times, and I laugh like an idiot every single time.

Also: my name is graboid, and I love Resident Evil 6. I actually liked the game upon release, but I started playing it again after watching some of Lunethex's LP and it's even better than I realized. Yeah, the constant barrage of set pieces is wearying, but the basic gameplay parts feel so goddamn good. It's honestly really weird to me every time someone describes the controls as "clunky", because I think they seem really responsive after years of tankin' it. (I love the old games/don't hate tank controls, but yeah.)

I think there's a place for the classic, old-school survival horror RE too...but I'd love for RE7 to be a full-on bioterror Final Fight, with more customization and upgrades, fewer gimmicks/QTEs, and going all in on "small time" action movie cheesiness. Chris and Jake team up to stop a mysterious new villain from using his secret Triple Umbrella M.A.D.G.E.A.R. virus to take over the world - then at the end the bad guy takes off his mask to reveal that he's really Wesker, and then after you fight him he takes off his Wesker mask to reveal that he's really M. Bison.

:hellyeah: (good stuff)

graboid fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 31, 2014