Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

The order of the last two doesn't matter so much because almost no one could lead both the mountains and the sprints.

Didn't Merckx do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
If a GC rider wins enough mountain finishes and the sprinters share the flat wins then it is definitely possible to have all 3 jerseys on one rider.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Sean Kelly is mad as heck about todays stage. Claims that it is a bad idea to have such a difficult stage so early in the tour and that it will be a nightmare for the GC riders because they risk losing upwards of 2 minutes on a hilly and technical stage.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

MrBling posted:

Sean Kelly is mad as heck about todays stage. Claims that it is a bad idea to have such a difficult stage so early in the tour and that it will be a nightmare for the GC riders because they risk losing upwards of 2 minutes on a hilly and technical stage.

I think it's a great idea, the usual first week boredom of dull flat stages leading to 5 minutes of excitement is the worst part of the tour.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

MrBling posted:

Sean Kelly can shut his whore mouth.

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
Talansky actually finished behind Cavendish yesterday, he was the last rider with the same time as winner, come very close to loose hope for podium/win, Majka lost 1'30.

Gibbo posted:

Didn't Merckx do that?

Yes, he won all the jerseys in 1969, there wasn't a white (young) jersey but he won yellow, green, mountain, team and most combative.

Tour de France 1969 - Le 1éme Tour d'Eddy Merckx

1. Eddy Merckx 116h 16'
2. Roger Pingeon + 17'54
3. Raymond Poulidor + 22'13

Edit Cavendish tour is over, he won't start today.

Mr.Nice fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jul 6, 2014

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I love Jensie.
http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/video/297252419745/jens-voigt-interview

I kind of hope he goes into commentary or something after he's finally done racing.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

The Deadly Hume posted:

I love Jensie.
http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/video/297252419745/jens-voigt-interview

I kind of hope he goes into commentary or something after he's finally done racing.

Everyone loves Jensie.

Presumably Cavendish got the leader time for crashing in the last 3k rather than for where he actually finished?

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Crash or mechanical in the last 3k, except for mountain top finishes or time trials and the rider(s) are given same time as the group of riders they were riding with at the time of the incident. So though it doesn't matter for him, he received the same time.

Spot the intruder:

Pocket fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jul 6, 2014

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Ah balls. Got the earliest train I could from Birmingham, but it got delayed so there's a long wait until the next train to Keighley. By the time I get there the race will be just going past - no chance of seeing them go up Oxenhope.

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

Watched from Clifton Green before the racing started. Great atmosphere, big crowds.

It owned

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I'm loving the amount of people crowding the road for just a 4th category climb. No-one being a twat and running a long side either.

Some utterly retarded bike riding by the peloton too.

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jul 6, 2014

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Intergortion posted:

Watched from Clifton Green before the racing started. Great atmosphere, big crowds.

It owned

Pro Tour Mullet is back in fashion?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Yorkshire really is a brilliant advert for England.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Crowds were good in Keighley - probably had time to walk further up and get up to the start of the hill but oh well. Found myself a spot right on the edge if the road just street after the hairpin. Lots of local businesses/charities out selling food and drink - good atmosphere.

Now drinking a pint and watching an old Yorkshireman try to get his dog to let go of a stick

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

Carpet posted:

Now drinking a pint and watching an old Yorkshireman try to get his dog to let go of a stick

:britain:

e; Purito looks really hosed, poor guy.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

French tv are really surprised by how many people have come out to see the tour. Lots of praise.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pocket posted:

French tv are really surprised by how many people have come out to see the tour. Lots of praise.

2 million yesterday they said. I bet more today.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Albinator posted:

The Tour has lots of sub-competitions, and the leader in each wears a distinctive jersey. The overall leader (ie, quickest time through all the stages so far) wears yellow. That will be Kittel tomorrow, since he came first today. The best sprinter gets a green jersey - there are set places to sprint throughout the course, and there's points for first, second and so on in those sprints. Similarly with King of the Mountains competition, there are points available at the tops of climbs for the first few riders, and the rider with the most points gets a polka-dot jersey.

There's also best young rider, who gets a white jersey, and the team leading the team competition wear yellow numbers.

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Most aggressive rider from the day before (one of the guys up front in the breakaway, almost invariably) gets red numbers.

Another interesting thing happens when someone owns more than one of the four leader's jerseys. All four must be worn by someone, so if rider A owns two, then the second place rider in the 'lesser' competition actually wears a jersey owned by someone else. I believe that in order of importance they go yellow (overall leader), white (young leader), green (sprint leader), polka dot (mountains leader). The order of the last two doesn't matter so much because almost no one could lead both the mountains and the sprints.

So, stage one was won by Marcel Kittel. He is thus the race leader, and so he gets to wear yellow. Peter Sagan leads the young riders classification (he was second on stage 1 and Kittel is too old), so he wears white. Kittel also leads the sprint competition, but he can't wear the green, because he has to wear yellow. Normally the second placed sprinter would wear green, but that's Sagan and he can't also. In this very special case, the third placed sprinter will wear green tomorrow, Bryan Coquard. Jens Voigt wears polka dots because he is the mountains leader at the moment and gets red numbers too because he was voted the day's most aggressive rider. Team Sky will have yellow numbers because they're the best placed team.

Most/all of these jerseys and awards will change tomorrow, but wearing a leaders jersey for even a day in a grand tour is an honor for riders and a really big deal in terms of their professional careers.

Thanks, that clears it up!

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

Yorkshire really is a brilliant advert for England.

This.

I was really nervous that the turn-out would be crap, the weather wouldn't co-operate, the bikes would literally disintegrate on our roads.....but no!

:britain:

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Garmin bro just slapping peoples phones to the floor.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Hah! A Garmin rider just repeatedly slapped peoples smart phones out their hands when they were shoved in his face.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The crowd were making a serious funnel, the peloton dropped from about 8 wide to 3 or 4.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

I too wouldn't be very happy if people were trying to take pictures of me in that ugly helmet :(

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The sky team are weak as piss. I can only see Thomas up with Froome.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Phone High Five!
Can't get it any clearer. I'm sure someone will have a GIF of it soon enough.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Huddersfield is amazing. :allears:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

serious gaylord posted:

The sky team are weak as piss. I can only see Thomas up with Froome.

They're going to end up dropping 2/3 the team to the rear to pull Porte back into it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

What happens if you drop out for a stage? Are you out of contention for the whole race?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

goatface posted:

They're going to end up dropping 2/3 the team to the rear to pull Porte back into it.

They've burned Eisel and some american I cant remember the name of but Porte is back to the group.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
That crowd is just ridiculous.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

TraderStav posted:

What happens if you drop out for a stage? Are you out of contention for the whole race?

If you don't finish a stage, you're out.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The peloton let them kill the speed to help it happen.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

peanut- posted:

That crowd is just ridiculous.

I like that there were police every few meters pushing the crowd back in. The French and Italians could learn something from that.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Paddyb posted:

If you don't finish a stage, you're out.

Great, thanks! How are the winners determined. Best overall time added up or number of yellow jerseys, or some other combination?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

TraderStav posted:

Great, thanks! How are the winners determined. Best overall time added up or number of yellow jerseys, or some other combination?

The yellow jersey is given to the person with the best overall time, so thats how its decided.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Yellow and White are total time, the Green is total sprint points, the Polka Dot is total climb points.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

TraderStav posted:

If you have the time check out this, it was based on last years route but it explains the history of the race and way the race works. All with a French accent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7wPa1Hl5ZA

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

The yellow jersey is given to the person with the best overall time, so thats how its decided.

I meant for the whole race, not the stage. Unless it's the same on the whole.

Pocket posted:

If you have the time check out this, it was based on last years route but it explains the history of the race and way the race works. All with a French accent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7wPa1Hl5ZA

Terrific. Appreciate the patience with the dumb questions. Never paid any attention before but got the itch now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

TraderStav posted:

I meant for the whole race, not the stage. Unless it's the same on the whole.

It is that for the whole race. The rider with the lowest cumulative time over all the stages wins.