Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This is the version I grew up with. It was taped when I was six by my parents one night, and they missed the beginning. While I had seen the whole movie a few times by then, I went years and years having not watched the opening part with Alice that much, despite how often I saw the rest of the movie. There was also "What a knockabout-great fun THAT was!" when Peter emerges from the ballroom. Also, I'm pretty sure they cut out the ghost sex.

I still sort of expect to see the commercials that were played before or after certain scenes. Like right after "That wasn't such a chore, now, was it?", there was always a local jeweler's ad. Right after Stay Puft blows up, there's a commercial for In the Heat of the Night.

Ghost sex never made it anyways. Closest it gets is Ray's pants being opened and him going crosseyed

Unfortunately the commercial thing covers every movie that was ever recorded from TV (ie all of them during the VHS era)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

CaptainHollywood posted:

According to what I posted- a lot of that "scarier stuff" was added in AFTER.

I kind of wonder how true that is, the article says that they were stuck trying to straddle a line between wanting scares and wanting to entertain a new audience who for the last few years had been watching the cartoon, but has that been stated anywhere? The reshoots for me just seem like a last grasp attempt to get something in the film. It's clearly a mess of a script and for various reasons poo poo just wasn't working. It wasn't made because people 'cared' about the product, if they did they would never have picked up a camera, it was made because they threw money at them.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DrVenkman posted:

I kind of wonder how true that is, the article says that they were stuck trying to straddle a line between wanting scares and wanting to entertain a new audience who for the last few years had been watching the cartoon, but has that been stated anywhere? The reshoots for me just seem like a last grasp attempt to get something in the film. It's clearly a mess of a script and for various reasons poo poo just wasn't working. It wasn't made because people 'cared' about the product, if they did they would never have picked up a camera, it was made because they threw money at them.

Yeah, that AICN article has a ridiculous amount of editorializing in it, with next to no sourcing.

The only reason Ghostbusters II was made was because Columbia was making loving bank from toy sales from the cartoon. Aykroyd always wanted to do another one, but he's a crazy bastard -- Reitman and Ramis took a lot of convincing (and significantly higher paychecks), and Murray waited until an ungodly amount of money was offered to him.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

SocketWrench posted:

Ghost sex never made it anyways. Closest it gets is Ray's pants being opened and him going crosseyed

Unfortunately the commercial thing covers every movie that was ever recorded from TV (ie all of them during the VHS era)

I meant the unzipping / crosseyed part was never aired on tv.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Timby posted:

Yeah, that AICN article has a ridiculous amount of editorializing in it, with next to no sourcing.

The only reason Ghostbusters II was made was because Columbia was making loving bank from toy sales from the cartoon. Aykroyd always wanted to do another one, but he's a crazy bastard -- Reitman and Ramis took a lot of convincing (and significantly higher paychecks), and Murray waited until an ungodly amount of money was offered to him.

It could have worked too, if they didn't try to put the drat thing in a summer release for a movie set on New Years Eve. This also brings up it's biggest failure: It went up against the juggernaut known as Batman '89 which just wrecked poo poo for months. GB2's release date hosed it over more than any terrible script.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CaptainHollywood posted:

I still think with a little script tweaking beforehand Ghostbusters 2 could have worked.
It did, and is still awesome. :colbert:

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

MrJacobs posted:

It could have worked too, if they didn't try to put the drat thing in a summer release for a movie set on New Years Eve. This also brings up it's biggest failure: It went up against the juggernaut known as Batman '89 which just wrecked poo poo for months. GB2's release date hosed it over more than any terrible script.

It was common to do stuff like that. For example, Die Hard. A Christmas movie that came out in the middle of summer, TWICE! The sequel opened on July 4th of 1990. It's a lot more common than you realize. It happened with Batman Returns. Takes place at Christmas, yet, it came out in the summer. Basically, they want to sell these as big-budget action movies, which do well in the summer, since holiday movies have a pretty short shelf-life. After all, who's going to see a Christmas movie in January (aside from the Eastern Orthodox people...)? Really, it was Ghostbusters. New Years Eve was just the trapping they used.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Gremlins was a Christmas movie too, and came out in June (same day as GB1)

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Cemetry Gator posted:

It was common to do stuff like that. For example, Die Hard. A Christmas movie that came out in the middle of summer, TWICE! The sequel opened on July 4th of 1990. It's a lot more common than you realize. It happened with Batman Returns. Takes place at Christmas, yet, it came out in the summer. Basically, they want to sell these as big-budget action movies, which do well in the summer, since holiday movies have a pretty short shelf-life. After all, who's going to see a Christmas movie in January (aside from the Eastern Orthodox people...)? Really, it was Ghostbusters. New Years Eve was just the trapping they used.

This is why you release it in September or October. The problem was that the hype for Batman '89 was loving HUGE for like a year before hand and studios didn't seem to think "Well, that's gonna gently caress us over if it's any good." causing anything like GB2 or UHF to immediately be forgotten by Michael Keaton punching Jack Nicholson making a bizillion dollars. This isn't a bad thing and is kind of deserved since they weren't smart enough to think ahead. Just sucks that it prevented a trilogy of GB films.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

You'd think AMC playing Ghostbusters every day would make it old but nope!

Anyways, I just notice something in the scene where they meet the mayor. It's a neat bit of characterization. Peter is the sales man (or con-man) of the group and starts the pitch of biblical proportions, Ray jumps in to sell the point, and Egon has the face of OH OOOOH I get the idea here and jumps in and then Winston helps to the finish. They actually come together as a team in that moment because they have been working together and trust each other.

It's kinda cool noticing it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I need to ask you all a favour. When the GB2 blu-ray is released, can someone... anyone, PLEASE upload the deleted scenes to Youtube or somewhere? I don't have a blu-ray player, and it's unlikely I'll be getting one any time soon, since I'm expecting my first child in about a week. But I need to see these scenes. I need it. I don't know why, I can't explain it, but if anyone out there understands this need, I would think/hope it would be people here.

Also, will there be more deleted footage from the first film? If so, same goes for that, too.

I can't be the only one here who doesn't have a blu-ray player, can I?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Im sure someone will but you can get a used PS3 from like any pawn shop for like $50

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Mooseontheloose posted:

You'd think AMC playing Ghostbusters every day would make it old but nope!

Anyways, I just notice something in the scene where they meet the mayor. It's a neat bit of characterization. Peter is the sales man (or con-man) of the group and starts the pitch of biblical proportions, Ray jumps in to sell the point, and Egon has the face of OH OOOOH I get the idea here and jumps in and then Winston helps to the finish. They actually come together as a team in that moment because they have been working together and trust each other.

It's kinda cool noticing it.

A line I always liked from GB2 that I never see mentioned is from the scene in that movie where they meet the mayor. The scene starts with (I think) Ray trying to blow smoke up the mayor's rear end, saying that almost 50% of them voted for him in the last election, to which the mayor replies "thank you, I appreciate that."

There's only 4 Ghostbusters. There's no such thing as half votes. Almost 50% must mean 25%. Only one Ghostbuster voted for the mayor.

Don't know if I'm pointing out something obvious or not, but it's a line I never really paid much attention to, and only first noticed it was a joke on a rewatch a few years ago.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

A line I always liked from GB2 that I never see mentioned is from the scene in that movie where they meet the mayor. The scene starts with (I think) Ray trying to blow smoke up the mayor's rear end, saying that almost 50% of them voted for him in the last election, to which the mayor replies "thank you, I appreciate that."

There's only 4 Ghostbusters. There's no such thing as half votes. Almost 50% must mean 25%. Only one Ghostbuster voted for the mayor.

Don't know if I'm pointing out something obvious or not, but it's a line I never really paid much attention to, and only first noticed it was a joke on a rewatch a few years ago.

I always liked that joke, but I can't remember when I first noticed it.

Also, I really want all-you-can-eat ribs at The Sizzler *jazz piano riff w/harmonica*

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Also, will there be more deleted footage from the first film? If so, same goes for that, too.

I think the only deleted footage that has never been seen is the Fort Detmerring stuff ... honestly, I'm only interested in that for the design work. Everything else has been seen on the DVDs / Blu-rays.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I honestly don't feel this way towards deleted scenes in any other film. For reasons that probably amount to 'have watched it frequently since I was 4 years old' and 'it's my favourite goddamned movie', I just can't get enough of behind-the-scenes stuff from both films. I want to hear dialogue from Fort Detmerring, I want to see how it was planned out (I've read the script, and even typed out Richard Mueller's version of it in this very thread), I want to see everything, from both GB1 and GB2.

I'd love to get a full re-edit of the second film with the deleted scenes in, no matter what that does to the storyline. :allears:

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
A local hotel just opened up a Ghostbusters-themed room on its 13th floor.

Those tiles are filled with goo that ooze around when you step on them, and Vigo looms on the wall behind the toilet. It's pretty loving cool. I'll have more pics early next week.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Boomerjinks posted:

Those tiles are filled with goo that ooze around when you step on them, and Vigo looms on the wall behind the toilet. It's pretty loving cool. I'll have more pics early next week.

Please post more photos of my future living room. Now someone figure out how to make a containment unit that is actually a mini fridge and we're set.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Boomerjinks posted:

Well, most of the original staff knows about the 13th floor, but it's been quiet for years!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Well, most of the original staff knows about the 13th floor, but it's been quiet for years!

One of my favourite jokes is, not a minute after Janine says 'oh they're totally discreet...' Peter busts into the lobby with 'Hey, anyone see a ghost?'

And then there's that long stare he gives to the woman in fur.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

One of my favourite jokes is, not a minute after Janine says 'oh they're totally discreet...' Peter busts into the lobby with 'Hey, anyone see a ghost?'

And between those two moments is the introduction of their car, a gleaming white beast with flashing lights and screaming sirens, racing right up to the hotel's front door.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Lobok posted:

And between those two moments is the introduction of their car, a gleaming white beast with flashing lights and screaming sirens, racing right up to the hotel's front door.

I'm really surprised they got parking :allears:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm really surprised they got parking :allears:

Doorman: Hey boss, what can I tell ya. If an ambulance from the future pulls up, I open the doors. And I ain't never had no paramedic tip me like the one guy did, too.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Boomerjinks posted:

Dude yes! Holy poo poo. I live by here too! I have to find a way to stay here for a night.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

CelticPredator posted:

Dude yes! Holy poo poo. I live by here too! I have to find a way to stay here for a night.

They are doing a big unveiling party on Tuesday night. Complimentary "Slimer" jello shots, smores cocktails, and lots more. 530-730pm!

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I just watched it again, it's a good movie. Thank you thread for making me decide to pick it on netflix.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
The way he says it seems like a toss off. But still.

http://www.today.com/entertainment/ghostbusters-alert-dan-aykroyd-promises-new-film-kick-next-spring-1D79949644

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
In case you're new to Dan Aykroyd, GB3 is in pre-production EVERY spring, since 1996.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, Proton Charging, on FB, posted this link, basically saying (and I'm paraphrasing), "Ok, fine, we'll post your link that you want us to post about GB3, but please know that we here at PC have heard this about a million times before."

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
So my wife and I are on top of a mountain road in Rocky Mountain National Park in October 2009. I'm standing outside the car snapping pictures of the sunset when a van rolls up and a mom sticks her head out the window asking if her son can get a picture with the car. Out pops this developmentally-challenged dude in his twenties, and he is just pumped as can be. His mom explains that Ghostbusters is his absolute favorite thing in the world and he loves Dan Aykroyd talk about it. He gets his photos, offers a hug and like three high fives, and jumps back in their van. The next bit, I'll never forget. I'm getting back into the car when he hangs almost completely out the window and shouts "Ghostbusters Thwee, coming thoon!"

Every time I see a GB3 article or comments by someone totally wrapped up in GB3 rumors, I read it in his voice.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Do you drive an Ectomobile or something?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Please tell me that's him in your avatar. Looks like he could have played Janosz.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

roffels posted:

Do you drive an Ectomobile or something?

Depends on how low your expectation of a ectomobile is

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

zVxTeflon posted:

Depends on how low your expectation of a ectomobile is

Pretty much this.

Data Graham posted:

Please tell me that's him in your avatar. Looks like he could have played Janosz.

No, that's Frankie McDonald screaming about the weather.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

The man can't help himself. Basically every time he's asked the question he answers the same way "It's totally starting soon guys. I mean there's no script and no director but trust me, it's happening"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I sort of wish he'd let it go. With no change of Egon, I wouldn't want to see it even if it happened. :colbert:

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I sort of wish he'd let it go. With no change of Egon, I wouldn't want to see it even if it happened. :colbert:

Maybe this time they'll have to acknowledge Ernie Hudson!

(They won't)

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Thanks to the Star Wars Prequels and Crystal Skull I don't worry at all about a new Ghostbusters film coming out and ruining things for me. It can be bad and the original will still be one of my favorites of all time. I want them to do it - even if Dan is just trying to fish for public support, I'm all for it. Heck just him and Ernie could carry it pretty far - who you gonna call? HE MAN HE MAN HE MAN

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

hhhat posted:

Heck just him and Ernie could carry it pretty far - who you gonna call? HE MAN HE MAN HE MAN

The rest of the film is just them going to the bar. Definitely would watch that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

The rest of the film is just them going to the bar. Definitely would watch that.

The lawsuit after destroying the Statue of Liberty ruined them

• Locked thread