Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
The real experience comes from being a silver and MMing with the double-AK and above goons. You learn a lot, very quickly. Goonmans have (had?) a small pool of players, so there was a limit to how much you could learn beyond the basics.

Plus (some?) goons are (were?) sensitive about their precious MM rank and will be quick to let you know how you can stop screwing up their match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I got kicked because I didn't have a mouse and was using a xbox controller. :(

e; of course my name WAS Xbox 420 Funtroller

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Yeah I think it's pretty difficult to over-state just how wide the skill gap is from silvers to eagles.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

NTT posted:

I got kicked because I didn't have a mouse and was using a xbox controller. :(

e; of course my name WAS Xbox 420 Funtroller

congrats

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

NTT posted:

my name WAS Xbox 420 Funtroller

More like xbox 420 funTROLLer, amirite?

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Necc0 posted:

Yeah I think it's pretty difficult to over-state just how wide the skill gap is from silvers to eagles.

I think it's wider than that tbh.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

More like xbox 420 funTROLLer, amirite?

You guys are so mean to me :qq: :gonk:

I need a moderator!

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

VelociBacon posted:

So just was playing a competitive match, we were losing around 14-6 or so, and then someone admin slayed everyone on the other team immediately when the round started until we won.

Anyone seen this before?

Was this in matchmaking? Share the MM demo link please. The console errors are normal/unrelated to admin slaying and I've seen them in my own games sometimes.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Yeah it looks like you pasted the log after the admin kills happened.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

8bitlawd posted:

So I thought that because I sometimes scrubbed people in my Silver lobbies that I was actually half-way decent if not pretty good... but as luck would have it playing some goonman has quickly made me realize that I'm actually not. That in reality, I'm just a newborn tadpole swimming into a sea of hardened, jaded, serving triple life sentences in a max-security aquarium before breaking lose by strangling the attendees through a coordinated push through long, sharks.

It's thrilling to sometimesbutnotoften kill one, and some of them on my team gave me some good advice too soothe my suffering... but yeah, long story short I had good fun (seriously not having a team as dumb as me was super enlightening) and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who hasn't played goonman yet.

...and maybe one day I'll become one of those sharks. :unsmigghh:

Yeah I played one yesterday before I had to ditch and I was awful. But it was a really good time, everyone was really helpful and we had a chance to win, probably would have if I had played any better. I'm looking forward to playing more and getting better!

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.

Wezlar posted:

Yeah I played one yesterday before I had to ditch and I was awful. But it was a really good time, everyone was really helpful and we had a chance to win, probably would have if I had played any better. I'm looking forward to playing more and getting better!
You guys that have only played a game or two should post the name you play in game with so (the regulars) can know who you guys are, that way if there's something more constructive to elaborate on we/they can match name to tag.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Coleman posted:

You guys that have only played a game or two should post the name you play in game with so (the regulars) can know who you guys are, that way if there's something more constructive to elaborate on we/they can match name to tag.

Oh yeah, I play as Pretty Falco.

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
I'm HonchoBoncho, same steam avy as this one. And yeah if im in a lobby feel free to tell me stuff to improve.

One thing I've noticed are that some of you guys are pretty good with grenade placement... is that something that came with experience or is it a matter of memorizing the right spots to throw or whatever?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

8bitlawd posted:

One thing I've noticed are that some of you guys are pretty good with grenade placement... is that something that came with experience or is it a matter of memorizing the right spots to throw or whatever?

Mostly the latter. But knowing how the grenade physics works is always helpful.

Google 'de_dust2 smokes', 'de_interno flashes' etc and there will always be some youtube videos which can help.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

8bitlawd posted:

I'm HonchoBoncho, same steam avy as this one. And yeah if im in a lobby feel free to tell me stuff to improve.

It's 50/50 I'd say. Half of it is situational in having the timers / distances / physics down to reflex for random situations while the other half is knowing really advantageous and specific spots that you play regularly. The second type grenades are usually your opening smokes / entry flashes and there are TONS of videos out there demonstrating them.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grenades are awesome because if you know where the enemy is, you can really wound the poo poo out of them without any danger to yourself.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Larry Parrish posted:

Grenades are awesome because if you know where the enemy is, you can really wound the poo poo out of them without any danger to yourself.

Counterpoint: Team flashes.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
I'm kinda unsure what to buy on pistol rounds. Armor is good because it means I live longer, but that means I can't get another gun or a good grenade, just like a decoy, and I have $100 that gets wasted. Getting like flash + smoke + HE is kind of hard for me to use because encounters don't last that long. I could do either the $500 pistol and a grenade, or the $300 and two grenades, but that seems like a big waste if I die. Plus the thread's general advice seems to be to try to do well with the starter pistols. At my level, lots of people buy pistols first round, so armor doesn't help a huge amount and I'm at a disadvantage if I stick with the starter pistol.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
You aren't really at a disadvantage with the starter pistol because a headshot is still a 1hk. The only pistol you should really consider buying is a five-seven CT side. Also having an extra $100 or $150 left over when you buy armor isn't a bad thing.

edit: pistol round buys are personal preference, I like to just do armor T side, and kit+HE nade CT side.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
They all typed kill in console to lose rank and said wtf just to gently caress with you lmao

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Coleman posted:

Might be good to start a spreadsheet in Google docs or something to keep track of everyones names.

That way Shogunner doesn't embarrass himself with another meltdown over me slaying him at the end of a lovely match :unsmigghh:

Also, Insertion is entertaining as hell and is a cool twist on hostage maps. Black Gold is still horrendous.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

They all typed kill in console to lose rank and said wtf just to gently caress with you lmao

:lol:

I misread the post and thought that guy's team was getting slayed

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

astr0man posted:

edit: pistol round buys are personal preference, I like to just do armor T side, and kit+HE nade CT side.

I do armor CT side and Mac10 T side.

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone
New gun $$$ talk:

Now that dual berettas are 500$, I've been buying them CT side along with a flash or smoke to see if it works.

It doesn't, they are still such horrible guns I just get myself killed every time.

The scout @ 1700$ really is a great buy though. Of course it's map and position dependant, but even if you only get one hit off, you've done enough damage that round to atleast help your team out. A lot of players don't expect the buy either.

The XM1014 @ 2000$ just makes it even juicier, as you still get 900$ per kill. It really is a great money maker, and with the small boost to its spread, it is even deadlier. Remember that this is the best shotgun vs. armour, and you can very often out-duel riflers even at midrange unless they shoot your face first.

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

I'm kinda unsure what to buy on pistol rounds. Armor is good because it means I live longer, but that means I can't get another gun or a good grenade, just like a decoy, and I have $100 that gets wasted. Getting like flash + smoke + HE is kind of hard for me to use because encounters don't last that long. I could do either the $500 pistol and a grenade, or the $300 and two grenades, but that seems like a big waste if I die. Plus the thread's general advice seems to be to try to do well with the starter pistols. At my level, lots of people buy pistols first round, so armor doesn't help a huge amount and I'm at a disadvantage if I stick with the starter pistol.

I have a weapon guide by round in the OP, which isn't outdated....yet.

Generally you should just stick with the starter pistols, and aim for the head. Sounds like lovely advice but it's true, (almost) every pistol will OHKO faces without armour. There's no blanket correct answer on what to buy with it, since grenades and armour are map/position dependant, but if you are lower ranks I would honestly just buy armour everytime. Forces bad players to hit headshots on you, and gives you more time to hit them. Pistol rounds are the most important rounds in CS. And hitting heads with pistols is the most important skill. Plus if you manage not to get hit you can buy a helmet next round for a cool 350$.

Daeno fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 6, 2014

Ephedra
Jan 5, 2010

Fight

->Jump<-

Item

8bitlawd posted:

So I thought that because I sometimes scrubbed people in my Silver lobbies that I was actually half-way decent if not pretty good... but as luck would have it playing some goonman has quickly made me realize that I'm actually not. That in reality, I'm just a newborn tadpole swimming into a sea of hardened, jaded, serving triple life sentences in a max-security aquarium before breaking lose by strangling the attendees through a coordinated push through long, sharks.

It's thrilling to sometimesbutnotoften kill one, and some of them on my team gave me some good advice too soothe my suffering... but yeah, long story short I had good fun (seriously not having a team as dumb as me was super enlightening) and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who hasn't played goonman yet.

...and maybe one day I'll become one of those sharks. :unsmigghh:

And yet.. even if Goonmen are "Great White Sharks" there are much larger predators in the aquarium.

Burgo
Jun 1, 2008

Daeno posted:

New gun $$$ talk:

How does the nerfed tec9 now compare to what it was pre-patch?

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Daeno posted:

New gun $$$ talk:

Now that dual berettas are 500$, I've been buying them CT side along with a flash or smoke to see if it works.

It doesn't, they are still such horrible guns I just get myself killed every time.

I've actually been finding a lot of success with them, especially as backup pistols when I have extra money in full buying. I've gotten quite a few kills with them thanks to the extra bullets. You can just spam like crazy, and the recoil isn't that hard to manage.

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Burgo posted:

How does the nerfed tec9 now compare to what it was pre-patch?

quote:

Tec-9

Pre Operation Breakout Update

InaccuracyCrouch 8.57
InaccuracyStand 11.43
InaccuracyFire 52.88
InaccuracyMove 13.81
RecoilMagnitude 29

Post Operation Breakout Update

InaccuracyCrouch 7.57
InaccuracyStand 9.43
InaccuracyFire 15.88
InaccuracyMove 3.81
RecoilMagnitude 15

Post-Patch

InaccuracyCrouch 7.57
InaccuracyStand 9.43
InaccuracyFire 52.88
InaccuracyMove 3.81
RecoilMagnitude 29

Basically it was hot-fixed back into oblivion.

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Ephedra posted:

And yet.. even if Goonmen are "Great White Sharks" there are much larger predators in the aquarium.

"Megalodon" is a funny way of spelling Mr. Pink.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

Daeno posted:

I see it now as a running HS machine

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Daeno posted:

It's such a weird mistake. It looks like they forgot to change RM and and had a bizarre typo on IM. Theres no way they meant to release either of those figures, realised it was OP, came up with new figures in a day and patched. Maybe a build or deployment problem ,it wouldn't have got through QA.

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Not entirely convinced CS:GO has any sort of QA, considering Valve's developer setup and their releases so far.

I'm sure there is a sticky note with hastily scrawed pencil markings by gaben on a fridge somewhere with something along the lines of:

"[b posted:

CS:GOz planz:[/b]"]

1) mak prety wapons
2) put comunity wapons in box
3) sometimes make weapon gud
b) if wapon too gud, make bad
4) add chickan
b) if too many chickan, take few out
5)???
6) profits

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Daeno posted:

Not entirely convinced CS:GO has any sort of QA, considering Valve's developer setup and their releases so far.

I'm sure there is a sticky note with hastily scrawed pencil markings by gaben on a fridge somewhere with something along the lines of:

if the few people who posted their total investments into csgo are anything to go by that final 'profit' should be massive 40ft concrete letters

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I don't know why anyone is surprised by hilariously terrible mistakes that Valve lets into their CS:GO patches. Please remember that this is the same dev team that accidentally pushed out a "patch" that actually downgraded everyone who owned the game to the pre-release beta 2 years after launch :allears:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

astr0man posted:

Was this in matchmaking? Share the MM demo link please. The console errors are normal/unrelated to admin slaying and I've seen them in my own games sometimes.

How do I get the MM demo link? I'm looking at it and right click menu doesn't seem to bring anything up for copying a link or anything.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

VelociBacon posted:

How do I get the MM demo link? I'm looking at it and right click menu doesn't seem to bring anything up for copying a link or anything.

On the watch page view the scoreboard for your match then click the button to copy/paste the sharing link from the bottom of the scoreboard.

Also grips is almost definitely right and if it was only the opposing team dying after they were up 14-whatever on you then they were all just suiciding on purpose to downrank.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

astr0man posted:

On the watch page view the scoreboard for your match then click the button to copy/paste the sharing link from the bottom of the scoreboard.

Also grips is almost definitely right and if it was only the opposing team dying after they were up 14-whatever on you then they were all just suiciding on purpose to downrank.

Thanks, here you go

steam://rungame/730/76561202255233023/+csgo_download_match%20CSGO-b9OBC-FD5DP-662HG-TA9Ab-JFSiA

Just the code: CSGO-b9OBC-FD5DP-662HG-TA9Ab-JFSiA

It just seemed strange to me because not everyone on that team were playing well at all, it wasn't like a smurf team or anything. It was mostly the top couple people doing all the work, and the admin_slay looking stuff was happening like right at the same time for all of them, seemed like a group command.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Hey everyone. I've recently started playing CS:GO again after picking it up on release. I played a ton of CS years and years ago, and it's still just as fun as I remember. I've been practicing on deathmatch trying to figure out how to properly shoot things and work on my reflexes/spatial awareness and if anyone wants an extra on their team I'm around pretty frequently. My steam ID is verisimilidude. Feel free to add/message me and maybe we can play together. :)

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Daeno posted:

The XM1014 @ 2000$ just makes it even juicier, as you still get 900$ per kill. It really is a great money maker, and with the small boost to its spread, it is even deadlier. Remember that this is the best shotgun vs. armour, and you can very often out-duel riflers even at midrange unless they shoot your face first

Gotta see if we can get your shotgun account up to DMG now....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Kinda OT, but what mice do you guys use? Is Razor Deathadder 2013 any good for this particular game (smallish hands, finger grip). My current one is awful and needs to be replaced.

• Locked thread