Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jippa posted:

So he will be out in 2 years?

Closer to three, barring any ill health that gets him released on compassionate grounds - he is 84, so that's not too unlikely.

As one of his victims said, though, the sentence is not as important as the verdict. I just hope that when the judge asked the jury foreman if he was ready to deliver a verdict, he replied "Yes. Can you guess what it is yet?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

notaspy posted:

I expect this government to make a similar mistake as the last when they fired a nonce into space but put a child in there by mistake. Bloody nu labour!!!!

This government had an alleged nonce on staff in Downing Street. Cameron is such a wonderful judge of character.

Last time the Tory sleaze was all extramarital affairs, dodgy arms deals and cash4questions (we buy any question), this time it appears to be paedos, private eyes and private functions.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Jedit posted:

I just hope that when the judge asked the jury foreman if he was ready to deliver a verdict, he replied "Yes. Can you guess what it is yet?"

Altogether now.
Lock the paedophile up, m'lud,
Lock the paedophile up.
Lock the paedophile up, m'lud,
Lock the paedophile up.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

HortonNash posted:

This government had an alleged nonce on staff in Downing Street. Cameron is such a wonderful judge of character.

Last time the Tory sleaze was all extramarital affairs, dodgy arms deals and cash4questions (we buy any question), this time it appears to be paedos, private eyes and private functions.

I amazed just how bad labour have been capitalising on all the poo poo coming out of the Tory party.

It writes itself, just a constant dribble of raw sewage that should have killed any other government but this lot just get away with it

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

notaspy posted:

I amazed just how bad labour have been capitalising on all the poo poo coming out of the Tory party.

It writes itself, just a constant dribble of raw sewage that should have killed any other government but this lot just get away with it

Bit early for this sort of stuff, I think Labour are waiting to see the whites of their eyes. Use it now and the public will forget. Not to mention, unlike Cameron, Ed probably doesn't want to cause a trial to collapse by commenting on it before it is over.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

quote:

Rolf Harris jail sentence to be reviewed by attorney general
Rolf Harris's prison sentence has been referred to the attorney general for being unduly lenient, it has emerged.

A small number of members of the public were said to have complained to the country's top lawyer about the 84-year-old entertainer's jail term of five years and nine months for 12 counts of indecent assault of girls.

It only takes one person to make contact for the attorney general to have to consider the punishment. Dominic Grieve now has 28 days to decide whether any action should be taken.

Harris, a fixture of popular entertainment for six decades, was jailed for between six and 15 months for each of the 12 counts of indecent assault, dating between 1968 and 1986. A jury unanimously convicted him of the charges on Monday.

The judge, Mr Justice Sweeney, made some jail terms concurrent and some consecutive, giving a total which was less than some observers had predicted. With good behaviour Harris could potentially leave jail on licence in less than three years. (cont)
I can see arguments for and against this, especially in a case like this when they got away with their crimes because of their position in society.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Like I said before, it's the end of the beginning:

quote:

More News of the World staff may face phone-hacking charges

The Crown Prosecution Service is considering whether to charge more News of the World staff in relation to phone hacking, it has been confirmed.

Police files on eight suspects, who cannot be named for legal reasons, have been handed to the CPS for charging advice. The files emerged from a spin-off investigation from Scotland Yard's Operation Weeting, the inquiry that led to the conviction of Andy Coulson and four others at the Old Bailey last month. On Friday, Coulson was jailed for 18 months for plotting to hack phones while he was in charge of the News of the World.

Operation Pinetree was launched after a former reporter and self-confessed hacker Dan Evans pleaded guilty before the Coulson trial and became a crown prosecution witness against the former editor of the Sunday tabloid. He testified that Coulson had listened to a hacked message that was left by Sienna Miller on Daniel Craig's phone, in which she declared her love for the James Bond actor.

Evans was due to be sentenced along with Coulson on Friday but in a pre-sentencing hearing the crown decided to delay his sentencing until the CPS had made outstanding charging decisions on Operation Pinetree, the second investigation into the News of the World.

If anyone else is charged, Evans will have "a continuing obligation to give evidence", prosecutor Andrew Edis QC told Mr Justice Saunders on Friday.

Another investigation, Operation Golding, into allegations of hacking at the Sunday Mirror is also still open. "That is some way off a charging decision," Edis said.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

notaspy posted:

If there is one thing the Tories are better at, it is taking Labour criticisms and spinning them into a hypocrisy narrative. I mean pretty much every other week Labour highlights something then the Tory press finds out they've done exactly the same and beat them with it.

I'd bet that Labour have chosen to keep out of the Tory nonce stuff because they have no idea how endemic it was on their own turf. Look at how the Daily Mail spun the harmless Harriet Harman nonce association into a major story and multiply it by 1000x if they could find an actual Labour nonce.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
This incredible attempt at spin on c4 right now is amazing. No admission of guilt, no admission of a coverup, "mistakes" and all, "acceptance" of most of the general public not having sympathy. 18 months is "harsh".

And now Krishnan is pissed and attacking the deputy editor.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
That's Wallis for you. He did rather accurately say that he's been made the fall guy for News International at the start though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Brown Moses posted:

I can see arguments for and against this, especially in a case like this when they got away with their crimes because of their position in society.

It doesn't matter how long he's sentenced to, because we don't really like to let people die of old age in jail. They can make all the terms run consecutively and he'll still be out after three years or so on grounds of health. He's already lost the most important thing. Everything else is just posturing.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Brown Moses posted:

There are very good reasons to hand out sentences according to the laws at the time the crime was committed, and I'm curious as to why people think it shouldn't apply here (other than knee-jerk desire to punish, though I suspect/hope it's more than that).

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Each individual hacking event is a separate crime right? So theoretically can't they hit Brooks again on a different set of hacking events?

Or if nothing else, it came out that there was hacking against the royals that I thought wasn't known about before the trial, that has to hold some higher penalties, right?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

RevKrule posted:

Each individual hacking event is a separate crime right? So theoretically can't they hit Brooks again on a different set of hacking events?

Or if nothing else, it came out that there was hacking against the royals that I thought wasn't known about before the trial, that has to hold some higher penalties, right?

Not really, apart from her Maj in very specific circumstances the Royals have no more de jure protection than any commoner. (De facto protection is obviously a different matter).

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Sunday papers are reporting Leon Brittan has been questioned over a rape (of a woman).

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
I wonder if they're trying to pull another McAlpine and have people assume him guilty on twitter etc, denounce it as a malicious and false witchhunt and then try to denounce all reasonable suspicion and call for the public to let the police do their job and not to risk any of these important investigations with rumourmongering.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

More papers getting their 9 month back log of phone hacking related stories out, this time the Mail with Rebekah Brooks and a riddle over Met Police chief: Alleged attempt to interfere in appointment of London's top policeman.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

From the Indie tomorrow

Tom Watson has also started a Change.org campaign to support the Child Sex Abuse inquiry campaign Exaro has been running, which so far has 141 MPs backing it.

[edit] The Mirror is at it too

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Oh god, it's Paedogeddon tomorrow

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

This is probably the only tabloid paedo panic I can really support.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Brown Moses posted:

From the Indie tomorrow

Tom Watson has also started a Change.org campaign to support the Child Sex Abuse inquiry campaign Exaro has been running, which so far has 141 MPs backing it.

Tebbit kinda put his foot in it this morning on the Andrew Marr show - while I'm sure he was just looking to preemptively distance himself from any putative cover-up by waffling about the general Westminster culture he ended giving a pretty damning soundbite of "There was a culture that the Establishment had to be protected" which has been interpreted by a lot of reporters as "There definitely was a cover-up".

The genie is coming out of the bottle on this and we're rapidly approaching a point where - regardless of whether or not a cover-up existed/still exists - everything out of the mouth of every politician is going to sound like part of the cover-up. Like at this moment Labour can sit on their hands and make vague noises about maybe investigating something and it sounds like it's just Labour being their normal indecisive mealy-mouthed selves, but a few more days of this being at the top of the news agenda and people will start wondering just who they're trying to protect - there's already rumours of a "senior Labour figure" being involved in the Eighties.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Tebbit kinda put his foot in it this morning on the Andrew Marr show - while I'm sure he was just looking to preemptively distance himself from any putative cover-up by waffling about the general Westminster culture he ended giving a pretty damning soundbite of "There was a culture that the Establishment had to be protected" which has been interpreted by a lot of reporters as "There definitely was a cover-up".

The genie is coming out of the bottle on this and we're rapidly approaching a point where - regardless of whether or not a cover-up existed/still exists - everything out of the mouth of every politician is going to sound like part of the cover-up. Like at this moment Labour can sit on their hands and make vague noises about maybe investigating something and it sounds like it's just Labour being their normal indecisive mealy-mouthed selves, but a few more days of this being at the top of the news agenda and people will start wondering just who they're trying to protect - there's already rumours of a "senior Labour figure" being involved in the Eighties.

They are all up to there neck in it but I get the feeling that the Tories are the worst ones of the lot (for a change) but this'll all come down to which way the papers go. This is their turn to completely poo poo all over the political class after the shoeing they have just taken.

I was talking to my dad about this whole clusterfuck and it all stems from the guardian do their job and not giving up on a story. It really is one of those storied that a journalist gets into the business for; it shows how incestuous the powerful have become. Take a bow Nick Davies.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

notaspy posted:

They are all up to there neck in it but I get the feeling that the Tories are the worst ones of the lot (for a change) but this'll all come down to which way the papers go. This is their turn to completely poo poo all over the political class after the shoeing they have just taken.

I was talking to my dad about this whole clusterfuck and it all stems from the guardian do their job and not giving up on a story. It really is one of those storied that a journalist gets into the business for; it shows how incestuous the powerful have become. Take a bow Nick Davies.

Ah? What was the Grauniad's particular contribution to all this, then?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Tebbit's statement blew me away. "Yeah, of course we covered up anything that would reflect badly on the Establishment, par for the course".

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
Do you think we need a dedicated paedophile thread on here then? (Yes, that sounds a bit weird).

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Gambrinus posted:

Do you think we need a dedicated paedophile thread on here then? (Yes, that sounds a bit weird).
I don't think there's been one since Aatrek was around

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

notaspy posted:

I get the feeling that the Tories are the worst ones of the lot (for a change)

Haha, for a change?

Did you miss the entire 80s and 90s?

Now there's the possibility that Thatcher's government covered up a paedo ring, and one of her Home Secretaries is a rapist.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Kinnock Knew

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The Milk Snatcher's lot wasn't just symbolically loving children, it seems.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gambrinus posted:

We did actually have a paedogedden thread when Yewtree started up. This seems like an appropriate place to revive it given this sort of long-running but mostly slow-burning story doesn't really suit the monthly format of the UKMT.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

It does seem odd to lump phone hacking and paedogeddon together unless there's some connection I'm missing.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

shrike82 posted:

It does seem odd to lump phone hacking and paedogeddon together unless there's some connection I'm missing.

All British institutions are either metaphorically or literally loving children.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Hypothetically if it is revealed all three parties were covering up paedophilia and/or had paedophiles in their ranks what the hell happens? Where does Britain go from there domestically or regarding its international standing? Are we heading for a thousand year Farage (assuming nothing connects to Hamilton or other ex-Tory kippers)? Or do the Sun's sales figures in the aftermath of phone hacking suggest that as long as none of the paedophiles were immigrants or helping the unemployed the public wont care?

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
There have been a fair few apologisers for the celebrity paedophile hunt (it's a witch hunt, it was a different time, but he was so nice on TV! He's old now what's the point?) but I don't think politicians would get off so lightly. To be fair though, I think there will just be a lot of noise, maybe some of the older members getting their P45 and a lot of talk about moving forward.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I'm of the mind that paedo stuff would have stayed covered up if the wider hacking and corruption hadn't been exposed. This is where the guardian cones in. They didn't go along with this one rogue hacker line and kept digging which uncovered the Milly dowler story. It was this that blew the whole thing open and put the institutions of the land against each other.

You could argue the paedogeddon was on the cards once the newsnight report was buried but we'll never know.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

HortonNash posted:

Now there's the possibility that Thatcher's government covered up a paedo ring, and one of her Home Secretaries is a rapist.

Its a LOT worse than that if whats been alleged for over 2 decades is true. Hell there is one former male Tory Prime Minister (now deceased) who has been implicated in it, and its possibly his 'tastes' that caused the whole cover up of them all to happen.

It all stinks yet they have good form for hiding it in plain sight, take Lord McAlpine, who was before his death the largest collector of pedophile artist Graham Ovenden. People can now happily say this as hes dead so you cant be sued for slander, even though the fact he had the largest collection of Ovenden's work is on public record and therefore not slanderous.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

I don't think there's been one since Aatrek was around

:golfclap: nice

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Obviously it was all down to Nick Davies, but the point is that the Guardian let him do his job, don't interfere, and trust him. That's their role in this. They will bankroll his work and just know that he'll get the work done.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

notaspy posted:

I'm of the mind that paedo stuff would have stayed covered up if the wider hacking and corruption hadn't been exposed. This is where the guardian cones in. They didn't go along with this one rogue hacker line and kept digging which uncovered the Milly dowler story. It was this that blew the whole thing open and put the institutions of the land against each other.

You could argue the paedogeddon was on the cards once the newsnight report was buried but we'll never know.

I think it's a lot more to do with Yewtree et. al, with Ore (flawed as it was) being the initial spark. People are realising that something was/is deeply, deeply wrong in society and that sex offenders don't necessarily lurk in the shadows and leap out of bushes, they can be people who you see on television every day.

The only real contribution of the phone hacking scandal is making people realise just because it sounds like a ludicrous conspiracy doesn't mean it's not actually true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

shrike82 posted:

Milly Dowler.

• Locked thread