Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

In a way, I'm reminded of the DS version of IV's final boss theme sounding worse than the original, despite being a total remix from the ground-up. Just about everything else was improved to some degree or another, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Endorph posted:

I don't know how you can call the FF12 audio good. All the voice actors sound like they recorded their audio in a bathroom and the music is a distant warble.

I'm weird but I find it endearing and memorable, even though it's objectively, y'know. Bad.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

Cake Attack posted:

Some of us played Baten Kaitos and learned what truly bad audio is.

This is what made me immune to bad voice acting in a game. Everyone should inoculate themselves by playing the original Baten Kaitos (although the prequel or whatever did much better).

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Endorph posted:

I don't know how you can call the FF12 audio good. All the voice actors sound like they recorded their audio in a bathroom and the music is a distant warble.

It has been a long, long time since I last played it. Might have to dust it off this week to see if it's just my memory being too generous on the sound, and also to remind myself why I ran out of gas before finishing it.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Speaking of FFXII, I threw in the towel about 10 hours in. I sort of liked the combat system and thought the voice acting was actually quite good, but everything except those two things stunk. It never felt like a Final Fantasy to me, and felt strangely like a Star Wars spin off instead. Might have been all the weird monsters hanging around a desert setting combined with the Knights of the Old Republic gameplay.

I read the original plan for the story was to have Basch be the lead character, but later in development the story was rejigged with Vaan as the lead. I cannot possibly express how bad a decision this was.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Not empty quoting this. I got a good ways into the original FFXII but got busy and never quite finished it. From memory it had better underlying textures than the PS2 was capable of displaying so it would hopefully look really great once done.

This is correct. FF12 looks gorgeous on an emulator with the resolution cranked up.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ozza posted:

Speaking of FFXII, I threw in the towel about 10 hours in. I sort of liked the combat system and thought the voice acting was actually quite good, but everything except those two things stunk. It never felt like a Final Fantasy to me, and felt strangely like a Star Wars spin off instead. Might have been all the weird monsters hanging around a desert setting combined with the Knights of the Old Republic gameplay.

I read the original plan for the story was to have Basch be the lead character, but later in development the story was rejigged with Vaan as the lead. I cannot possibly express how bad a decision this was.

That's probably also about the point where you really leave the desert settings behind for good, and that Vaan stops mattering to the story at all and everyone forget he exists. I really don't know why they front-loaded the game with ALL desert, all the time.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Fister Roboto posted:

This is correct. FF12 looks gorgeous on an emulator with the resolution cranked up.

Absolutely.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

That's probably also about the point where you really leave the desert settings behind for good, and that Vaan stops mattering to the story at all and everyone forget he exists. I really don't know why they front-loaded the game with ALL desert, all the time.

Alright, you've convinced me to play on a few more hours. So far it's been 10 hours of nothing but deserts, mine shafts or close ups of Fran's rear end.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Balthier looks as handsome as ever, I see.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

ozza posted:

Alright, you've convinced me to play on a few more hours. So far it's been 10 hours of nothing but deserts, mine shafts or close ups of Fran's rear end.

To be fair, there will be more close ups of Fran's rear end. But you do definitely get out of the desert eventually, and there are some really pretty areas with non-yellow/brown color schemes once you do.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

ozza posted:

You'd think that, but it was probably a good decision for the game's home country. I mean, look at how they reacted to NIER having a gruff, middle aged man as the protagonist (They hated it and made a version of the game with a pretty boy 18 year old instead)

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

e: misread something, dumb post

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
It's odd, Fran is the only furry trope in a game I didn't mind at all, mostly because her VA was good and I really enjoyed the setting around her home village.

Volt Catfish posted:

You'd think that, but it was probably a good decision for the game's home country. I mean, look at how they reacted to NIER having a gruff, middle aged man as the protagonist (They hated it and made a version of the game with a pretty boy 18 year old instead)

It ends up hurting the game's overall narrative because Vaan and Penelo drop off the script 10 hours in and are pointless baggage to a story they initiated. It's so weird.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jul 7, 2014

Silly Voodoo
Mar 31, 2011

There will be no clipping!

Cake Attack posted:

Some of us played Baten Kaitos and learned what truly bad audio is.

At least you can just switch to surround sound to get rid of the weird echo or whatever it was. I get why they did it, but it was still bad.

As for the actual voice work, it was...yeah. The acting in the intro was better than the acting in the game, so I can't help but think that there was a voice director switch at some point.

Dart
Jan 11, 2012

bloodychill posted:

It's odd, Fran is the only furry trope in a game I didn't mind at all

Are Viera furry? I always saw them as the result of some Japanese weirdo trying to justify putting playboy bunnies in a video game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They naturally have heels as their physical trait.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

bloodychill posted:

It's odd, Fran is the only furry trope in a game I didn't mind at all, mostly because her VA was good and I really enjoyed the setting around her home village.

Count me in for someone who loves Fran's voice acting, too. It's a really unusual sound. That said, put some pants on for god's sake. That goes for you too, every other character in the game.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
FFXII is Final Fantasy does Star Wars better than Star Wars ever could :colbert:

Even the score is an imitation of Star Wars, and it's all so loving glorious.

i really like Final Fantasy XII, possibly because it's the first console FF I bought brand new on release day

Fran is god tier character :colbert:

God if they make FFXIIHD I'll buy a vita in a heart beat.

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jul 7, 2014

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

ozza posted:

That said, put some pants on for god's sake. That goes for you too, every other character in the game.

Far more likely is that if they ever remake the game they'll name it "Final Fantasy XII HD Butts" and it'll surpass VII in sales. :v:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Only because people will erroneously think that there's some kind of FF5 remake included with it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The best part of FFXII is being able to do the thing that should have happened to Vaan long before the game started at your leisure.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really am kind of curious what they'd bundle in with FFXII HD. Square-Enix seems to think that bundled together games are the way to go and it'd be weird for them to put out FFXII by itself considering it's one of the ones least likely to sell on its own. Type-0 HD is the only one I can think of in recent memory that's gotten a solo release (well, one is announced) and that seems to be largely because they know they sell it as a new game in English-speaking countries.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Eh, they just need to let you play with the original license grid or the IZJS grid (you didn't have a choice in IZJS- you HAD to pick a class for each character). Maybe throw in a new superboss. Voila, new content.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

Eh, they just need to let you play with the original license grid or the IZJS grid (you didn't have a choice in IZJS- you HAD to pick a class for each character). Maybe throw in a new superboss. Voila, new content.

Well, I'd agree except both FFX and Kingdom Hearts are the Final Mix versions so the same applied for them!

I don't think it'd be the end of the world if they just put it out at $20 but it doesn't seem to be the way HD sets do things.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

In that case, they should bundle it with a console version of Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions. I still haven't gotten to play that version.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It would be amazing if they somehow incorporated all the Tactics game into a remade bundle but then I remember that Tactics A2 was made for the DS.

So was FFXII: Revenant Wings, actually.

Maybe if they rebooted and finished Fortress?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Also I think SE disowned Ivalice

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Also I think SE disowned Ivalice

They disowned Ivalice but not whatever the mess FF 13 and it's sequels take place in?
What the gently caress SE.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They didn't disown anything. They're still gladly republishing FFT and are pretty likely to republish FFXII.

They're not making new games in it but that isn't hugely surprising. The attempt to making it a 'marketable' worldsetting never really took off. The only reason FFXIII's worldsetting got so much attention is a combination of three games being announced at once (and then taking forever to come out) and attempts to recycle the overly-costly material to turn a further profit off it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jul 7, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hey guys, I heard Square Enix set a time-delay bomb in every copy of Chrono Trigger with the detonation time set to twenty years after its release! The combined force will be that of eleven nuclear bombs, wiping out all life as we know it! What the gently caress, square?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Endorph posted:

Hey guys, I heard Square Enix set a time-delay bomb in every copy of Chrono Trigger with the detonation time set to twenty years after its release! The combined force will be that of eleven nuclear bombs, wiping out all life as we know it! What the gently caress, square?

Square just keeps loving up. This is getting ridiculous.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Guys i heard se is gonna make a final fantasy moba

You have to pay to unlock each skill after you unlock a hero

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ivalice was always a directed by Matsuno deal, with Yoshida and Sakimoto on art and music respectively. (Yoshida wasn't main art on Tactics Advance, but was still involved.)

All three of them are freelancers now, so it's probably safe to assume that Ivalice is dead in terms of new games. All three of them are working on Unsung Story though, so it really ought to have echoes of Ivalice/Tactics Ogre.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

I want to pre-order Theatrhythm: Curtain Call. I go to the SQENIX EU store, (https://store.eu.square-enix.com/emea_europe/games/3ds/Theatrhythm-Final-Fantasy-Curtain-Call-Collector-Edition-EN.php) and when I try to pre-order, I get:

We are unable to process your request at this time. The customer support has already been informed about this situation and will get in touch with you if necessary. (Error ID: 5003)

Anyone here have any ideas? It's my first time trying to buy from them. I think it might be because I'm based in Ireland?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I dont think Vaan was a bad character, really, but he was a bad main character in a game where you have three people in your party who would make for a better lead. Maybe four if you count Larsa.

He probably would have worked better as the comic relief guy.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Fister Roboto posted:

The tech behind the game is amazing. It has a huge focus on texturing with a manageable polygon count/geometry. That was uncommon for a PS2 game but the standard for most 360/PS3 games. An HD remake should look great.

Aurain posted:

Ivalice was always a directed by Matsuno deal, with Yoshida and Sakimoto on art and music respectively. (Yoshida wasn't main art on Tactics Advance, but was still involved.)

All three of them are freelancers now, so it's probably safe to assume that Ivalice is dead in terms of new games. All three of them are working on Unsung Story though, so it really ought to have echoes of Ivalice/Tactics Ogre.

In spite of him leaving in the middle of FFXII's development, SE seems amicable with their split with Matsuno. Matsuno and the others were brought back as freelancers (where applicable) for the Tactics Ogre remake. I think if SE was serious about making a new Ivalice game, then they would hire the trio back to head the new title.

However, they're more focused on blockbusters and high growth mobile games. I can't see them new Ivalice game under current circumstances. Furthermore, a lot of the SE employees who worked on the PSP remake of Tactics Ogre ended up assigned to FFXIV: ARR and don't appear to be leaving anytime soon.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

If I'm not mistaken, Matsuno's soured on Ivalice since his time at SE and would really rather work on something else. Add onto that the fact that SE doesn't have any plans or interest to make another Ivalice game and we can assume that setting's been shelved for the foreseeable future.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Aurain posted:

That's what I meant :v: not that they literally disowned it but the main team responsible for the Ivalice and similar games are not at the company anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Final Fantasy XVI: Ivalice Reloaded: Return of the Balthier: Live Sky or Die Pirate.