Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Did anybody watch masters of sex?
And was it worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Eating, America's pastime.
So I just finished Lost for the first time after giving up on season 4. I actually enjoyed the finale, though it was weird even by Lost standards.

I kinda want to watch a spinoff of Hurley and Ben being guardians of the most chill island paradise unknown to man. Like a The Big Lebowski of magical mystery islands.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

mrfart posted:

And was it worth it?

It was pretty good, yeah.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

mrfart posted:

And was it worth it?

My wife and I loved it. Everyone in the cast is amazing, but Lizzy Caplan, Beau Bridges, and Allison Janney are on a whole other level, and hopefully they will all take home Emmys for their work. The production design and period costumes are great, and you feel for all the characters, even the ones you will strongly dislike. Bridges and Janney's subplot is just heartbreaking. There is also plenty of much-needed comic relief from a pair of women (one of whom disappears too early in the show) and a prototypical Goon-like guy.

I also read the Masters of Sex book that inspired the show, and Bill Masters was such a piece of work in real life that you'll realize the writers softened his character a great deal for the show.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

There was one episode in season 2 where NBC forced them to talk about recycling. Do you recall it? It felt really shoehorned at the time. It was like NBC Green Week or something.

We've been going through it really quickly so the specific episode number escapes me, but yeah - I think it was something with Jason Street? It really came out of nowhere.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

PostNouveau posted:

Sweet. I like his character well enough in the normal flow of the show, but his direct-to-camera segments are just way too on the nose.

Get back to us with your impressions about what follows his departure.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Spartacus is great, no doubt about it. But I've seen every episode at least twice. PoI is a bit more subtle :)

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
So is Suits actually a good show, or is it just a bunch of good looking well dressed people saying clever things to each other? I've wanted to check it out but USA original shows seem like such garbage.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's typical USA except they say "poo poo" in it.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Pron on VHS posted:

So is Suits actually a good show, or is it just a bunch of good looking well dressed people saying clever things to each other? I've wanted to check it out but USA original shows seem like such garbage.

Louis Litt makes the show but yeah, other than that it's just pretty people being "clever."

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Pron on VHS posted:

Suits is a fun show. It's not grand drama or anything, nor are there twisting plot overarches that blow your mind, but I have watched it all and have been consistently entertained. Fun characters all around.

If you want a better lawyer show, watch The Good Wife. Seriously, I think that show is some great television. But I'd suggest you not pass up Suits because of the pretty people in it - give it the three-episode-jimmy if the first episode doesn't completely throw you off it.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 5, 2014

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Pron on VHS posted:

It's a decent show. The first season I'd say is the worst. Surprisingly- despite the initial premise, the show very rarely relies on it's main hook in order to resolve plots.

The show is essentially House with lawyers. Instead of trying to figure out what ailment a person is suffering from, they try to figure out how they can clear a person's name- where things usually go from bad to worse then--- "WAIT-- what about this!?"

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I enjoy Suits, but it does sometimes (often?) suffer from what I call Ally McBeal Syndrome, in that they don't seem to EVER lose a case. It's the only lawyer show I watch, and I don't watch cop/law/legal shows at all. But it does have a lot of 'pretty people talking to each other', which isn't all bad. I like Louis and Donna probably the best, and there are multi-episode arcs and throwbacks to previous episodes now and then.

We just started watching Orange is the New Black and it's surprisingly good. Only 3 episodes in now and we definitely like it - it's well-written, definitely not about 'pretty people talking to each other' and everything has an interesting ripple effect.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

CaptainHollywood posted:

It's a decent show. The first season I'd say is the worst. Surprisingly- despite the initial premise, the show very rarely relies on it's main hook in order to resolve plots.

The show is essentially House with lawyers. Instead of trying to figure out what ailment a person is suffering from, they try to figure out how they can clear a person's name- where things usually go from bad to worse then--- "WAIT-- what about this!?"

Man, I've just gotten through the first 6 or 7 episodes of the first season and I'm hooked, so if it only gets better from here...:neckbeard:

I think it's more than people being clever, it really focuses on the law more so than other standard law dramas (I'm exempting The Good Wife, because that's way better than standard). I feel like I'm learning something. Plus, the characters really are great, and each actor plays his/her part perfectly and they all have great chemistry.

I mean, it's not like top-tier ground-breaking television, but it's smart, fun, and entertaining.

E:

:swoon:

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 5, 2014

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I just finished Hemlock Grove and holy poo poo, holy shitballs. After watching five episodes I pretty much thought this show was American Horror Story's retarded little brother, but man did they bring it in the final two of the series. Sure, it's not the best show I've seen, but it's still awesome.

And gory. Goddamn gory. So much gore.

And so much unrequited gay monster love. Could Roman be in more love with Peter? No, no he could not.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Can anyone recommend a good, current hospital show? I loved ER, House and quite enjoyed that short-lived Monday Mornings joint with Lee Adama and Alfred Molina, but would like something that's basically the opposite of Private Practice where the medical stuff takes a backseat to the doctors banging each other. I like the parts of Nurse Jackie where she's actually being a nurse too, but that's kind of fallen by the wayside on that show.

Is Chicago Hope any good? Is there some British or Australian analog to ER that I've missed?

mystes
May 31, 2006

flashy_mcflash posted:

Can anyone recommend a good, current hospital show? I loved ER, House and quite enjoyed that short-lived Monday Mornings joint with Lee Adama and Alfred Molina, but would like something that's basically the opposite of Private Practice where the medical stuff takes a backseat to the doctors banging each other. I like the parts of Nurse Jackie where she's actually being a nurse too, but that's kind of fallen by the wayside on that show.

Is Chicago Hope any good? Is there some British or Australian analog to ER that I've missed?
It may not be exactly what you're looking for, but have you seen The Crimson Field?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

mystes posted:

It may not be exactly what you're looking for, but have you seen The Crimson Field?

I haven't, but I'd prefer something more present-day. That does sound neat though and I'll probably check at least an episode or two. Thanks!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Just finished season two of The Following. I like Kevin Bacon in this, but he's no Jack Bauer.

Also, so many knives. :stare:

Kimo3
Mar 14, 2014
It's a miracle that they're making a third season of that show.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Finished with this season's Walking Dead. They really don't like little girls, do they.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mister Kingdom posted:

Finished with this season's Walking Dead. They really don't like little girls, do they.

Only Danny Elfman and Aatrak like little girls.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Did aynone else really not like Masters of Sex very much? I tried it for 3 or 4 eps and just couldn't get into it. It was too "network TV" for me, if you get what I mean, especially since I loved Lizzy Caplan from Party Down and seeing her in a sort of network TV show with cheesy dialogue just made me cringe.

EDIT: You know, I'm currently doing an on-again-off-again rewatch of the Wire and these big HBO Game-Of-Thrones level shows have basically ruined regular TV for me, even shows that seem to be well regarded like The Shield just seem to goofy and contrived by comparison.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jul 17, 2014

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
You know what owns?

Tales from the Crypt owns.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Throatwarbler posted:

Did aynone else really not like Masters of Sex very much? I tried it for 3 or 4 eps and just couldn't get into it. It was too "network TV" for me, if you get what I mean, especially since I loved Lizzy Caplan from Party Down and seeing her in a sort of network TV show with cheesy dialogue just made me cringe.

I'm finally finishing season 1 after dropping it about seven episodes in last year and it gets a lot better. It's a Mad Men-esque slow burn, which is part of it, but also Michael Sheen actually starts to emote and such. Despite the fact I've used the "feels like network TV" criticism a lot, and use it currently for The Leftovers, I'm not sure I see how it applies to this show. I'd be interested to hear more.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Drifter posted:

Only Danny Elfman and Aatrak like little girls.

So does Patrick Stewart! Coincidence?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBZ5OLy2EDg

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Bown posted:

I'm finally finishing season 1 after dropping it about seven episodes in last year and it gets a lot better. It's a Mad Men-esque slow burn, which is part of it, but also Michael Sheen actually starts to emote and such. Despite the fact I've used the "feels like network TV" criticism a lot, and use it currently for The Leftovers, I'm not sure I see how it applies to this show. I'd be interested to hear more.

I'm obviously not very good at describing my feelings but the straw that broke me was when Michael Sheen was having some diner conversation with the hooker-with-heart-of-gold girl, who could have come straight off of CSI or some other such tripe. It was a jarring contrast to Lizzy Caplan's character, well, all the characters in Party Down who actually talk like real human beings, or I guess like real human beings with such colorful backgrounds, instead of a character from a 1960s comic book.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, I forgot about that character. I didn't like her at all. She hasn't been in it for a few episodes, but apparently she was upgraded to a starring role for season 2.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Just sped through all 3 seasons of Luther. Idris Elba is great in the title role, and the stories are both typical crime procedural fluff, but with enough character moments to make it a little higher quality. Really easy to just marathon season 2 and 3 in one sitting a piece, as there's only 4 episodes each.

I wasn't a huge fan of the Alice character, but overall I'd say that this is a show worth watching.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Is oz worth watching? What about house of cards? Mad men?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

The Duke posted:

I wasn't a huge fan of the Alice character, but overall I'd say that this is a show worth watching.

I liked Alice alright in Season 1 when she was a looming threat and/or there to verbally spar with him. I didn't like her later becoming his magic murder pixie that popped out of his pocket when he was in a jam.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

nwin posted:

Never watched Oz. House of Cards is a political thriller that's about manipulation and is light on the violence, it's pretty fun. Mad Men I haven't seen much of but it's very...tiring. By which I mean it's not something you can just binge.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

nwin posted:

Can't speak much for the first two, but Mad Men is one of my all-time favorites, as my gang tag may show.

The wife and I are working our way through House, which is both amusing (due to Hugh Laurie) and good background noise when we aren't paying attention. We're mid-season 4 right now, so the new cast has all been introduced. I stopped watching about mid-season 5, so everything after that will be new to me.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

House of Cards is a lot of fun, I definitely recommend it. No real artistic value, but a terrific popcorn thriller of a series.

I'd compare it to Breaking Bad, but absolutely stripped down to the core appeal of "constant twists + genius villain protagonist". Very lean, very mean, don't expect any profound emotional moments or reflections on the human nature. This show is Aaron Sorkin on bath salts.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Chamberk posted:

Can't speak much for the first two, but Mad Men is one of my all-time favorites, as my gang tag may show.

The wife and I are working our way through House, which is both amusing (due to Hugh Laurie) and good background noise when we aren't paying attention. We're mid-season 4 right now, so the new cast has all been introduced. I stopped watching about mid-season 5, so everything after that will be new to me.

The next two seasons are really weird but the last season is about as good of a sendoff as you can expect for it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

Oz is pretty entertaining, but it couldn't hold my attention enough for me to finish it.

It requires a huge suspension of disbelief though. If you can get through that and get used to the rapid-fire pace, then it's worth your time.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
Just binged through all three seasons of PoI and it was excellent. It really reminded me of Fringe in the way it becomes better and more serialised as it goes on.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Going through The Soup (there's just so many of them) and Tales From the Crypt as part of my Toxx.

The latter series is so interesting/fun/stupid that I think I might make a thread about it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MrSlam posted:

Going through The Soup (there's just so many of them) and Tales From the Crypt as part of my Toxx.

The latter series is so interesting/fun/stupid that I think I might make a thread about it.

You should do that. That show's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Been watching House of Cards and good lord the main character is a piece of work. Monster really. Kevin Spacey at his most terrifying since Se7en.

Farscape is a good scifi show. The great things about Farscape is Ben Browder's performance and the Jim Henson company. I think Pilot is my favorite character, and you wouldn't imagine that a 12 foot puppet would beat out human characters but he does.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jul 20, 2014