Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Dr Snofeld posted:

I only ever seem to play the same sort of high-int, low-strength character in Fallout anyway. Which is a shame cos I've never really managed to get much use out of sneaking, or survival or things like that. Also a whole bunch of perks I've never really tried.

Having done similar builds in FO3 and FNV, I can say doing the buffed up nincompoop build is a lot more fun than I thought it would be, and oddly a lot more efficient. Mainly because it's all melee and grenades or dynamite, but since you're dumb you just go wherever anyone tells you. "Go to New Vegas? Okay," proceed to run from Deathclaws and skirt along Black Mountain. Then I ended up having to do a bunch of quests I didn't know loving existed because I never needed to earn money to get to the strip, then like 4 hours later I have the chip and the smart tv-man in the shiny tower has his new robots. I just went where they told me, and beat in any faces along the way. Also Mr. Arcade is following me to make sure I don't hurt myself or something.

Play simple, and things are oddly simple. It's satisfying in a different way compared to runs where you do a bunch of quests, get distracted, gain influence, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
The first time I completed the game, I set out to do a cowboy survivalist type, one that might reasonably be expected to survive as a courier in the Wasteland, but he still ended up as a high-int guy with maxed science and power armour.

Actually, what might be fun is a big tough lug with 3 Int, which is the threshold for the stupid dialogue options, and then the Intelligence implant would raise him to be almost sort of functional. And I'd name him Algernon.

Dr Snofeld fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 7, 2014

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
My preferred build is 10 Int, Str, and Luck for skill points, carry weight, and gambling, 1 perception because ED-E is a thing that exists, and 3-4 in the other stats to get the points I need. It works pretty drat well and I don't even care if it wastes three implants.

It's also multipurpose, you can run any skillset viably on top of those attributes. Take Skilled to offset the initial low-attribute penalties and you're golden.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

razorrozar posted:

My preferred build is 10 Int, Str, and Luck for skill points, carry weight, and gambling, 1 perception because ED-E is a thing that exists, and 3-4 in the other stats to get the points I need. It works pretty drat well and I don't even care if it wastes three implants.

It's also multipurpose, you can run any skillset viably on top of those attributes. Take Skilled to offset the initial low-attribute penalties and you're golden.
Light Step and Better Criticals need 6 PER.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Playing on the computer has really made me realized how used to the PS3 controller I am; loving sucks in combat because my mouse moves too fast or slow. Now I have to go through all the hoops and ladders of getting the PS3 hooked up to the laptop, btw can someone tell me how that works?

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Paracelsus posted:

Light Step and Better Criticals need 6 PER.

I just keep an eye to the ground.

Being honest, I don't remember what Better Criticals does, but having 10 luck helps a lot with crits already.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

razorrozar posted:

Being honest, I don't remember what Better Criticals does, but having 10 luck helps a lot with crits already.
Crits do 50% more critical damage. If you're stacking +crit% effects, it's a huge boost in your damage output.

I think going over 8 on any stat at character creation is a waste.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Paracelsus posted:

Crits do 50% more damage. If you're stacking +crit% effects, it's a huge boost in your damage output.

I think going over 8 on any stat at character creation is a waste.

Eh, maybe so. I'll gently caress around with other options on my next playthrough. The build I posted above is just what happens to work for me.

I'll make a Case for starting with 10 Int though, the longer you have it the more skillpoints you have. I've actually managed to max every skill between that, Skilled, Educated, and Comprehension-boosted skillbooks.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
The best way to play NV is to go for what's fun. Then get an ending, start the game again, and try a different way, and get a different ending for the game.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Light Step was such a load off my mind when I took it for the first time. I used to disdain it, the same way I disdained Animal Friend. But when I stopped having my kneecaps blown off because I looked in the wrong direction while exploring I really saw the merit of it.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

OldMemes posted:

The best way to play NV is to go for what's fun. Then get an ending, start the game again, and try a different way, and get a different ending for the game.

This is correct. NV is definitely one of the games I enjoy just playing through over and over roleplaying different character builds in. Since all the DLC came out I usually just do DLC stuff and House's quests since the DLC is so awesome.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

OldMemes posted:

This is exactly what I do. There's a few things I always do, like take jury rigging and light step, but over all i try new stuff every time I play.

Use only pistols was was a pretty fun way to go.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

One of the brilliances of its design is that despite what some people may say there's no one true dump stat...at most, just a dump stat for your preferred method of play. Almost everything has a use and even stats or skills you don't directly use often may have powerful skill checks during conversations or can unlock incredibly useful perks (Them's Good Eatin, for example).

So yeah, you can roleplay who and what you are.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Modern gamers do often have a very Min/Max approche to every game, which is unfortunate, because most single player games give the player the ability to play many different ways.

Col. Roy Campbell
Dec 19, 2008

I would say you absolutely need at least 7 charisma in order to pass the checks with the Boomer children. They're just so adorable. :3:

I've been replaying this after a long time away and I have forgotten how insufferable Daniel is in Honest Hearts. It's plain disgusting how he wants to keep them "innocent" like they're children or some cuddly animals. He has some bitchin' clothes though.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I feel like Educated/Comprehension are unnecessary. My current character is like level 16, has 8 INT with no Educated/Comprehension, and I feel like she's already close to having whatever skill points I want her to have. Something along the lines of 100 Guns, 50 Sneak, 70 Repair, 75 Lockpick/Science, 80 Speech, 60 Medicine right now. Will be raising Barter next to 70 for Pack Rat and that's when my core build should be done. The rest (I'm playing with jsawyer so the level cap is 30) will be just a nice bonus.

Smol fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 8, 2014

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Smol posted:

I feel like Educated/Comprehension are unnecessary. My current character is like level 16, has 8 INT with no Educated/Comprehension, and I feel like she's already close to having whatever skill points I want her to have. Something along the lines of 100 Guns, 50 Sneak, 70 Repair, 75 Lockpick/Science, 80 Speech, 60 Medicine right now. Will be raising Barter next to 70 for Pack Rat and that's when my core build should be done. The rest (I'm playing with jsawyer so the level cap is 30) will be just a nice bonus.

90 repair for Jury Rigging, though.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

razorrozar posted:

90 repair for Jury Rigging, though.

Sure, I don't consider it essential, but it's a nice convenience (and a money maker) when you can afford it.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Plugging a PS3 controller into your pc is fairly difficult. The wired 360 ones are plug and play, but i dont know why youd want to.

KB/M like god intended. :pcgaming:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
What do you goons do when you've beaten the DLC and have maxed your characters? I find myself going around to a few spots with hostile NPCs and I kill off Legion assassin squads. Other than that I'm at a bit of a loss. In FO and FO2 random encounters kept things going for a while longer.

Smol posted:

Sure, I don't consider it essential, but it's a nice convenience (and a money maker) when you can afford it.

It's one of my favorite perks. Weapons degrade so quickly that it really makes maintaining them less of a hassle, especially while trapped in a DLC zone.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

LLCoolJD posted:

It's one of my favorite perks. Weapons degrade so quickly that it really makes maintaining them less of a hassle, especially while trapped in a DLC zone.

Not to mention you can pick up an almost-broken but valuable weapon dirt-cheap, repair it with its common variants, and resell it.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Jury Rigging is what I consider one of those most have perks no matter what your build is, it's just that good.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 8, 2014

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Starhawk64 posted:

Jury Rigging is what I consider one of those most have perks no matter what your build is, it's just that good.

Repair in general too. Since combat is not completely avoidable you want at least one skill that lets you kill things, and one skill that lets you replenish your weaponry in some way. After that you can go nuts with whatever build you want.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Speedball posted:

Repair in general too. Since combat is not completely avoidable you want at least one skill that lets you kill things, and one skill that lets you replenish your weaponry in some way. After that you can go nuts with whatever build you want.

You need 90 for JR though so it's kind of a moot point by then. I usually max it anyway but it's probably not vital to do it.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

Starhawk64 posted:

Just out laziness I guess, sure. But money is so extremely easy to come by and the best equipment is easy to find other pieces in shops to repair from, so there's really little point. And once you have dead money you can get like 60 repair kits every 3 days.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

One of my favorite archetypes to play is "old timey gentleman". near max int and charisma, low per/str, medium end/luck. Get a mod that allows for more than 2 companions and get your posse while you drink fancy wine dodging bullets. Any fighting you do will be bareknuckled boxing. You cannot equip any weapons or military armor/power armor, monocle mod optional.

What is the closest build to "John Wayne" I can make? Revolvers only, high PER, low int? high luck?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

Just out laziness I guess, sure. But money is so extremely easy to come by and the best equipment is easy to find other pieces in shops to repair from, so there's really little point. And once you have dead money you can get like 60 repair kits every 3 days.

If I didn't pump up repair I'd just end up pumping the less useful barter skill to get more money for sales, etc. To me, not having a character with repair skill is just a type of self-imposed hard mode.

Mortimer posted:

One of my favorite archetypes to play is "old timey gentleman". near max int and charisma, low per/str, medium end/luck. Get a mod that allows for more than 2 companions and get your posse while you drink fancy wine dodging bullets. Any fighting you do will be bareknuckled boxing. You cannot equip any weapons or military armor/power armor, monocle mod optional.

As much as I like your style, I fear that the solo runs through DLC content would be difficult.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

LLCoolJD posted:

If I didn't pump up repair I'd just end up pumping the less useful barter skill to get more money for sales, etc. To me, not having a character with repair skill is just a type of self-imposed hard mode.

You can get repair skill without wasting a perk on jury rigging...

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Mortimer posted:

What is the closest build to "John Wayne" I can make? Revolvers only, high PER, low int? high luck?

Do Jeff Bridges from the remake of True Grit, be a drunk one-eyed fat man!

only use a .44 revolver

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

I play with a perk each level mod, plus user-made perks, so no probs there. What can I say, I love Fallout perks.

By the way, what bigot gave you that hateful red text under your name? I thought there were forum rules against attacks based on race or sexual orientation...this one even goes to gender. Prejudice hat trick?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

Jury Rigging is hardly a waste, though. It lets you convert bad, broken guns into durability status for better weapons or repair rare gear. Cleaner inventory, better gear condition, and cash. Not a waste.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Jury Rigging also lets you repair unique/rare armors with more common armor, which is arguably more important-if your YCS/186 is low on durability, you can just use a WRK, but there's no equivalent item outside of mods for repairing, say, Joshua Graham's armor.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Speedball posted:

Repair in general too. Since combat is not completely avoidable

Yeah it is

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Ehh, not in a totally enjoyable way.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

quote:

Repair in general too. Since combat is not completely avoidable

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Yeah it is

A guy with maxed stealth and speech could conceivably go through the entire game without firing a shot, but it would be an incredibly convoluted and gimmicky run. (and, IMHO, not much fun)

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
It's really not that hard to just not piss anyone off until you hit the point of no return for the NCR/House/Legion split. I suppose animals, but you just need to avoid those till you get the Animal Friend perk. After that it becomes harder due to hit squads but not impossible. There are a lottttt of non-violence options in the game, although a pacifist run by necessity requires a lot of background knowledge so that you know which quests to avoid and where to stop certain ones. And now I need to do a pacifist run, bye.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Pacifist Run is amazing. You'll use so many perks you never bothered with before and come up with new and inventive ways to complete quests no sane being would comprehend.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I did a pseudo-pacifist run... 10 charisma, ran around with companions, let them do all the work. I managed Old World Blues with just the cyberdog you could make killing everything, did Dead Money with Dog, ED-E wracked up a ton of kills in Lonesome Road, and the various helpers in Honest Hearts all got a turn.

It was certainly easier than a 'true' pacifist run.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Combat isn't really 100% avoidable without specific knowledge of things like the locations of Viper Gunslinger attacks, or poo poo like that. In general, though, if you stay near the main roads, and civilized areas, you should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

KittyEmpress posted:

I managed Old World Blues with just the cyberdog you could make killing everything

Roxie can't leave the lab you make her in, though. :crossarms: