Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I haven't really played Arkham City's challenge maps all that much, so I stand firm in the belief that Shock and Awe Extreme is the most annoying thing ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Well, there are the non-Batman predator challenge maps for one...

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Catwoman's Top of the World Extreme was the absolute worst. I had to look up a guide video.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I haven't really played Arkham City's challenge maps all that much, so I stand firm in the belief that Shock and Awe Extreme is the most annoying thing ever.

It still is the most annoying combat map in the series that I've played, but I never did any of the Arkham Origins ones. It's still a miracle I managed to actually beat it.

Discendo Vox posted:

Catwoman's Top of the World Extreme was the absolute worst. I had to look up a guide video.

Catwoman seems to be the least fun character to play as by far.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Catwoman's really great in most stealth maps because she can move so drat fast- Top of the World is just agony because it's a perfect combination of challenges and the map layout blocking all of the tools normally at her disposal. A tiny map with nasty sightlines and no clear spaces to run in, a disruptor goon you have to hit last, and two challenges requiring loud takedowns to put everyone on alert. All with the Top of the World norm of 8 well-equipped goons in the space. All it needs is Strange watching the upper level to completely screw you over.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Well, for starters the AI in predator maps is easy to abuse but also easy to break at a certain point, which is kinda why the sonic batarang exists ... only for Batman (and even then at a certain point it doesn't work reliably, as intended). Granted, 4/5 times you need to get a medal you can probably do them all by the first 3 minutes but that's not really an excuse to not balance predator maps for the non-Bats characters. Well, other than resetting the map and trying again, I guess.

Or throwing more batarangs/bolas on the ground.

Well, I guess if you don't want medals it's generally alright to do whatever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really don't enjoy Predator challenge maps because they are so strict. It kind of has a puzzle feel to it but that isn't the fun part of Predator modes.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I really don't enjoy Predator challenge maps because they are so strict. It kind of has a puzzle feel to it but that isn't the fun part of Predator modes.

Yeah, especially the Extreme variants. Most of the normal maps you can gently caress about in, but in Extreme if you don't do almost every little thing right, you're hosed. It's really not fun at all. Combat maps, on the other hand, are great.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Shock and Awe Xtreem is the worst thing. You gotta get mad combos! But if you don't do it fast enough, you automatically fail! And the room is full of dudes with knives and stun batons!

S&WX is precisely why Disarm & Destroy became a thing. It's not a challenge room. It's a torture chamber.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

At least Shock and Awe Extreme is usually a guaranteed three-medal if you can complete it. Pretty sure that last round is impossible to get through if you gently caress up your combo more than twice.

EDIT: Got the platinum trophy in Arkham City. Go meeeeeeee.

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 4, 2014

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

I honestly never had problems with Shock & Awe Extreme. Just combo variation the poo poo out of everyone ASAP and remember the combo instant takedowns are your friend.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I've completed the achievements on AA 3 times and Shock and Awe Extreme is not that bad, honestly. (once GFWL, again for the GOTY on GFWL, then once more when they added Steam achievements).

I find it hilarious that the predator challenges are much harder in AA because they always had the "3 of something" medals on each map. (3 explosive gel takedowns without a proximity indicator :smithicide:)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I've never had problems getting 3 medals on combat challenges. Wrecking enemies fast enough to get a 3-medal score is easy, it's getting a high score beyond that which gets more involved. (Although kinda pointless considering how worthless leaderboards are.)

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
I didn't run into any bugs when I played Origins. I do have the counter timing issue and that made a lot of the fights really frustrating, but the game was fine otherwise.

But I had some kind of need for more Arkham before Knight. So I picked up Blackgate in the Steam sale.

It is just really pissing me off. I'm having a lot of bugs in combat where the targeting just wonks the gently caress out and Batman flies past the three dudes in front of him and punches the dude with the taser. I had a bug where it wouldn't let me drop off a ledge with keyboard controls, and I had to switch to a controller to get past it. And don't...get me started on the loving analyzer. The game would be a hundred times more bearable if you didn't have to analyze every goddamn thing before you could actually use your gadgets on it. Hm, this wall looks exactly like other destructible walls, but I need to scan it just to make sure so I don't waste my infinite gel launcher ammo. I climbed to the top of the lighthouse not having a clue what to do before realizing I had to have scanned a door at the beginning before it would let me proceed. I finally got to the fight with the Penguin and the controls spazzed out and made Batman hop up and down a gargoyle while getting shredded by the gatling guns. Three times in a row.

I only paid 5 bucks and I still feel like I got ripped off.

I wish Knight was coming out sooner so I can wash that bad taste out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wild Knight posted:

I didn't run into any bugs when I played Origins. I do have the counter timing issue and that made a lot of the fights really frustrating, but the game was fine otherwise.

But I had some kind of need for more Arkham before Knight. So I picked up Blackgate in the Steam sale.

It is just really pissing me off. I'm having a lot of bugs in combat where the targeting just wonks the gently caress out and Batman flies past the three dudes in front of him and punches the dude with the taser. I had a bug where it wouldn't let me drop off a ledge with keyboard controls, and I had to switch to a controller to get past it. And don't...get me started on the loving analyzer. The game would be a hundred times more bearable if you didn't have to analyze every goddamn thing before you could actually use your gadgets on it. Hm, this wall looks exactly like other destructible walls, but I need to scan it just to make sure so I don't waste my infinite gel launcher ammo. I climbed to the top of the lighthouse not having a clue what to do before realizing I had to have scanned a door at the beginning before it would let me proceed. I finally got to the fight with the Penguin and the controls spazzed out and made Batman hop up and down a gargoyle while getting shredded by the gatling guns. Three times in a row.

I only paid 5 bucks and I still feel like I got ripped off.

I wish Knight was coming out sooner so I can wash that bad taste out.

Seriously, no lie, keep an eye on Shadow of Mordor. Comes out this year and I suspect at least part of why they delayed Knight is to avoid the overlap between two pretty similar kinds of games.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

I've just been replaying (and in two cases, platinuming) the current Arkham games already out. I've been playing them in release order and I started Origins earlier today. It's the first time I've played Origins on Normal, and while I still complain about the timing and stuff about counters, it's not as bad as I remember it being. What I really have to complain MORE about moving the quickfire buttons. I keep turning on detective mode when I try to throw a batarang at a dude.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

kalonZombie posted:

I've just been replaying (and in two cases, platinuming) the current Arkham games already out. I've been playing them in release order and I started Origins earlier today. It's the first time I've played Origins on Normal, and while I still complain about the timing and stuff about counters, it's not as bad as I remember it being. What I really have to complain MORE about moving the quickfire buttons. I keep turning on detective mode when I try to throw a batarang at a dude.

Yeah, that drove me bonkers. You'll be glad to hear that (at least when I played it) Knight on the PS4 is back to the City controls.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, that drove me bonkers. You'll be glad to hear that (at least when I played it) Knight on the PS4 is back to the City controls.

Is quickfire explosive gel still as useless as it was in City? I always forgot it was a thing, because whatever it could do, batarangs and cape stun could do, and in only one button press.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

kalonZombie posted:

Is quickfire explosive gel still as useless as it was in City? I always forgot it was a thing, because whatever it could do, batarangs and cape stun could do, and in only one button press.

I didn't get a chance to try it out, sorry. I was fooling around more with the new stuff.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

kalonZombie posted:

If by useless you mean able to control large portions of a map against any non-miniboss goon and can clear out a whole drat room when you get a high combo, then yes. Cape doesn't work from across the screen and batarangs don't work on armor. Gel does. It's probably the second most important quick fire gadget after batarangs.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

kalonZombie posted:

I'm pretty sure counters windows vary between enemy models because I replayed Origins not too long ago and though the same thing at first, only to start getting pissed later into the game when all those problems came back.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

You can spray explosive gel everywhere and knock a bunch of goons down with it and then use the multi batarang takedown to take them all out at once. It's not super practical but it looks cool as heck.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Sleepy Owl posted:

You can spray explosive gel everywhere and knock a bunch of goons down with it and then use the multi batarang takedown to take them all out at once. It's not super practical but it looks cool as heck.

It is super practical, just not in challenge maps. Really kick-rear end in the main game though.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

I dunno, I've never found much use for it outside building up a gadget variation bonus. Yeah you can use it and the multi-takedown to take down like three dudes at once, but you know what else you can do to do that? Punch three dudes. Bonus if you can multi counter and do that. Most I've ever knocked out at once is about five different guys.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There's something weirdly satisfying about simply pummeling everyone without the use of gadgets. Deathstroke was a god-send in that respect; feels justified in foregoing fancy poo poo. :v:

Incidentally, my copy of 'Becoming Batman' arrived. Despite a lot of the science stuff flying over my head, it's a really entertaining - and weirdly educational - read. Takes away the fantasy behind Batman, but it's written with a lot of respect and reverence for the character. Was expecting it to be a lot more cynically written.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

kalonZombie posted:

I dunno, I've never found much use for it outside building up a gadget variation bonus. Yeah you can use it and the multi-takedown to take down like three dudes at once, but you know what else you can do to do that? Punch three dudes. Bonus if you can multi counter and do that. Most I've ever knocked out at once is about five different guys.

But punching three dudes just stuns them once to allow for a follow-up. Normal gel knocks down anyone. Armor, freeze, knife, baton, gun. Anyone. Works as a (terrible) dodge, and allows you to keep your positioning (the most important part of of Arkham combat) and control large sections of the map with one or two plants of gel. Combined with freeflow focus you can knock down 10 or more dudes really easily.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I finished Blackgate last night, and it wasn't so much terrible as it was mindnumbingly boring. That slog towards the end of the game where you have to hit five different points within a (by this point largely deserted) prison was one of the most tedious things I've done of late. Still, the final boss was pretty interesting once you figure out the gimmick - probably the one point in the game where you felt like Batman.

If I didn't have personal rule to complete every game I buy in a Steam sale I wouldn't have bothered playing through it, but I'd say it's worth the £3 I paid for it.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Okay, I will fully admit that my problems with combat in Arkham Origins before was due to either it being on hard (playing on normal this time) or I was simply bad at combat. I still do have a few complaints but overall it's not as bad as I remember it being.

The crashes though... holy poo poo. I've tried playing it twice on my PS3 today and both play sessions ended with my system freezing.

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.
Beat Arkham City for the first time last night. Basic opinion boils down to "it was more Arkham, but better, and the boss fights were actually fun this time". Not entirely sure if I should be smiling or depressed as hell from the ending though. I'll have to take a stab at the Harley Quinn DLC at some point and then move on to Origins since a friend also gifted me that during the steam sale.

I'm suddenly a whole lot more excited for Arkham Knight though!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I don't think the ending qualifies as sad, aside from Talia dying and possibly coming back crazier than ever. And even then, she's always been pretty crazy, if I'm not mistaken, so this will likely lead to Bruce finding a better relationship with Selina. Joker dying, despite meaning that we'll never hear Mark Hamill in the role again more than likely (unless he decides to do another Robot Chicken scene or something), is a pretty great thing!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

OH NO MAN posted:

At least I got a badass screenshot when interrogating one of the informants:

This is dumb because physics mean its pretty much impossible.

It would also mean that Batman can do 250lb dumbbell flys or front raises so uhhh

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

It would also mean that Batman can do 250lb dumbbell flys or front raises so uhhh

Oh no! Batman is unrealistically strong and defies physics? poo poo, someone should have told us. I was pretty convinced he was utterly realistic before this.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

AlternateAccount posted:

Not only do them, but talk calmly the whole time (not happening)

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Heh, do you guys even know about Batman? :rolleye:

This is the dude that has a backup bat-persona incase someone tries and succeeds in destroying him subconsciously.

I feel like what you guys are talking about would be infinitely easier to accomplish.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Its best just to not think about it. Joker would be locked away for a long time after the 2nd time he pulled some poo poo.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I don't think the ending qualifies as sad, aside from Talia dying and possibly coming back crazier than ever. And even then, she's always been pretty crazy, if I'm not mistaken, so this will likely lead to Bruce finding a better relationship with Selina. Joker dying, despite meaning that we'll never hear Mark Hamill in the role again more than likely (unless he decides to do another Robot Chicken scene or something), is a pretty great thing!

What got me was Batman's "you want to hear something funny?" It's like he knew the Joker was a psychotic monster who deserved to die, but he wanted to give him one last laugh before he went. It really showed how they understood each other in a weird way. He'd better not be back in Arkham Knight, though.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

doctor 7 posted:

Not only do them, but talk calmly the whole time (not happening)

It cracked me up in Origins when the first couple of guys he tries to interrogate pass out because he's crushing their wind pipe.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Batman has a retractable bar underneath his arm armor that is supporting the majority of the weight. He uses it to make his interrogations seem physically impossible, thus furthering the Bat mythos.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Batman has a retractable bar underneath his arm armor that is supporting the majority of the weight. He uses it to make his interrogations seem physically impossible, thus furthering the Bat mythos.

Or he just lives in a world of comic book physics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

MrJacobs posted:

Or he just lives in a world of comic book physics.

It's both.

What's the over-under on the Arkham Knight totally eclipsing Scarecrow as the antagonist of this game and/or having some stupid poo poo to do with the Joker? Because my gut tells me to feel pessimistic on this one, even though Arkham City was such a direct step up from Asylum with seemingly direct responses to criticisms about Asylum and I really really really want to believe Rocksteady won't poo poo the bed.

• Locked thread