Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Divinity: Original Sin, aka a great game.

EDIT: Welp, this was in response to Gyshall's question asking what game the thread was referring to. And now it's just the first post in the new page of the Pillars of Eternity thread. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

EDIT: Welp, this was in response to Gyshall's question asking what game the thread was referring to. And now it's just the first post in the new page of the Pillars of Eternity thread. :downs:

Awaiting the official "what I'm playing until Pillars comes out" thread.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Wittgen posted:

This tells you what you need to know about how good this game is.

Either that or this.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Selane posted:

Either that or this.

I'm kinda disappointed the girls' haltertops didn't have pumpkin bras as well.

Way to ruin my immersion, Larian.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Selane posted:

Either that or this.
... :stare: I think I'm sold.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Selane posted:

Either that or this.
... is that a pile of intestines with eyes on the table?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Raygereio posted:

... is that a pile of intestines with eyes on the table?

Yes.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

It's just delicious pre-sausage.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
So the guns are man-portable cannons that take forever to reload; can I make a renaissance gunslinger who brings like twelve loaded guns to a fight and just pulls out the next one every round? Or will there be some inventory-management stranglehold to prevent the apex strategy.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

You can switch between weapon sets in combat, but weapons have to be in sets when combat starts. You can't move items around while in a combat state.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

How's the combat? Would it scratch that "ain't got pillars of eternity" itch?

I just remembered I have IWD:2 and haven't started a run yet. poo poo.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

User0015 posted:

How's the combat? Would it scratch that "ain't got pillars of eternity" itch?

I just remembered I have IWD:2 and haven't started a run yet. poo poo.

It does for me. Lots of skills, lots of build diversity, several spell combos. Gameplay's fun overall. Awesome NPC pathfinding around hazards and obstacles. Fair bit of content. Some neat quality of life things, like being able to change appearance or builds mid-game.

Story, music, and UI are meh. Not offensively bad, but not amazing.

Level thresholds are unforgiving. Quest text is vague w/r/t direction. Some talents (Leech, Comeback Kid) are borderline overpowered.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
I really wish I could get IWD2 to run on Win8 instead of just crashing out, even in compatibility mode.

fake e: I guess I should try to see if I can get a windows XP VM up and running on it the way you could with Win7.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

LogicNinja posted:

fake e: I guess I should try to see if I can get a windows XP VM up and running on it the way you could with Win7.
Runs sweetly right off the discs for me on 7. You really have to go through setting a VM for it? Kind of sucks.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Runs sweetly right off the discs for me on 7. You really have to go through setting a VM for it? Kind of sucks.

I don't have disks, I have a Gog.com download, and it freezes as soon as I launch it, before it even shows up on screen. I wind up having to kill the process.

IWD1 ran fine, as did other older games. So it's pretty disappointing.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Huh, that's worse: the GoG editions should be more up to date than my old discs. They called out their updating games for more modern OSs as a selling point often enough. :crossarms:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

LogicNinja posted:

I don't have disks, I have a Gog.com download, and it freezes as soon as I launch it, before it even shows up on screen. I wind up having to kill the process.

IWD1 ran fine, as did other older games. So it's pretty disappointing.

Give this a shot.

quote:

uncheck the scaling and the "run as administrator" boxes in the shortcut

http://www.gog.com/forum/icewind_dale/icewind_dale_2_crashes_on_start_in_windows_8

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Huh, that's worse: the GoG editions should be more up to date than my old discs. They called out their updating games for more modern OSs as a selling point often enough. :crossarms:

They do; Win8 broke a bunch of games that work fine on Win7. Arcanum is another one. I imagine the issue comes down to some syscalls being reimplemented in Win8 in a manner that isn't bug-for-bug compatible with the old implementation, but who knows.

Mac Con
Apr 23, 2014

rope kid posted:

You can switch between weapon sets in combat, but weapons have to be in sets when combat starts. You can't move items around while in a combat state.

So my dream of playing a mage hunting monk who unloads a brace of pistols then proceeds to beat the poo poo out of them bare handed can be realized?

Actually, can you go guns akimbo with pistols? Might be an interesting trade off between accuracy and having another shot before having to reload. Mostly just want a pirate monk, though.

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I recall having to do some strange work-around from the Infinity engine thread to get my IWD2 working in Win7 previously. Just went to reinstall the other day and my discs won't even read anymore, so I got it from GOG, and that version is working fine in Win7 without the work-around, so it sounds like something funny in win8.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

isk posted:

It does for me. Lots of skills, lots of build diversity, several spell combos. Gameplay's fun overall. Awesome NPC pathfinding around hazards and obstacles. Fair bit of content. Some neat quality of life things, like being able to change appearance or builds mid-game.

Story, music, and UI are meh. Not offensively bad, but not amazing.

Level thresholds are unforgiving. Quest text is vague w/r/t direction. Some talents (Leech, Comeback Kid) are borderline overpowered.

How hard is it to screw up a build? Can I just kinda throw points at whatever looks cool and make it work?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Mac Con posted:

So my dream of playing a mage hunting monk who unloads a brace of pistols then proceeds to beat the poo poo out of them bare handed can be realized?

Actually, can you go guns akimbo with pistols? Might be an interesting trade off between accuracy and having another shot before having to reload. Mostly just want a pirate monk, though.
You can only wield one ranged weapon of any kind at a time. You could alternate between a pistol and bare (monk) fists, though.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

StashAugustine posted:

How hard is it to screw up a build? Can I just kinda throw points at whatever looks cool and make it work?

It can give you the feeling that you will screw up a build, despite the fact you can make almost anything work. I think the only way you could really screw it up is if you completely screwed up a main attribute with your skills ie have a high int and take melee skills and you end up not being strong enough to equip weapons. And even then you could just respec eventually or just take Telepathic and throw 60 pound vases at enemies.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

rope kid posted:

You can only wield one ranged weapon of any kind at a time. You could alternate between a pistol and bare (monk) fists, though.

What's the reasoning for this limitation?

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

verybad posted:

What's the reasoning for this limitation?

You need both hands to reload I would wager.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

SoggyBobcat posted:

You could just double the reload time?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Wezlar posted:

You could just double the reload time?
Uhh... aremt we talking powder-pistols? Youre lucky you get to reload in combat at all after your single shot.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

SoggyBobcat posted:

Maybe I understood ropekid wrong, but I thought he meant that you can only ever have one ranged weapon in your set of weapons.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

But I have so many other games I need to play! :cripes:

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

verybad posted:

Maybe I understood ropekid wrong, but I thought he meant that you can only ever have one ranged weapon in your set of weapons.

That would seem like a strange limitation if that were true.

e: can you have more than two weapon sets?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

verybad posted:

No. One ranged weapon in a weapon "set".

SoggyBobcat posted:

e: can you have more than two weapon sets?
Currently a Talent can increase your number of weapon sets.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Backer beta release date announced.

That's sooner than I was expecting.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Can one weapon occupy multiple weapon sets?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Happy birthday to me :toot:

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Is the beta gonna be a random chapter/mission or will it be like BG's Chapter 1+2 CD demo?

'Cause I'd like to be able to have access to the full character creation beforehand so I can instantly play the game when it comes out instead of spending hours thinking up a dude.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

It's the day after Gen Con so the gameplay video will probably be revealed at Gen Con, with a "backer beta tomorrow" announcement or something.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

If my smile were any wider the top of my head would come off :haw:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Ahh, a month and some change from now. Perfect timing for when this latest spot of employment runs out and I'm back to working on a more sparse schedule.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Hurray my birthday. The day I become a 23 year-old loser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Disco Infiva posted:

Happy two days after my birthday to me :toot:

• Locked thread