Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Lurdiak posted:

I dunno, patriotism isn't the best reason to take such a huge risk, but it beats out greed.

Less greed and more ego. Reed Richards, First Man To Put Himself In Space instead of Reed Richards, CEO of Richards Aerospace. Another parallel with Doom, who's accident reinforced his hubris

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Mr. Maltose posted:

Less greed and more ego. Reed Richards, First Man To Put Himself In Space instead of Reed Richards, CEO of Richards Aerospace. Another parallel with Doom, who's accident reinforced his hubris

Yes. FF works a lot better if the accident was caused by Reed pushing things too far out of arrogance.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Skwirl posted:

Fantastic Four is probably the origin story that suffers the most from the sliding timescale. Peter Parker is fine, just change the word radioactive to genetically engineered, or don't, gently caress it. Tony Stark just requires changing the warzone he was captured in. Captain America almost works better as time goes on, he becomes even more a man out of time. And people are going to be experimenting with new ways to blow each other up forever, so The Hulk is good to go. But the FF really works best if their ill-fated rocket journey happens before we actually sent people into space and got them home safely. They originally met The Watcher in the blue spot of the moon 4 or 5 years before Neil Armstrong got there.

It's not so bad, especially since we've all but abandoned space in the last couple decades. You can just push their flight to Mars, or any of the sci-fi-favorite moons of Jupiter.

The origin story that I think suffers the most is Punisher. Him and his alienation is really a product of Vietnam. Current war vets are loved regardless of the war, and PTSD sufferers are sympathized with.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
My point was getting powers from "cosmic rays, while in a low earth orbit" makes a lot less sense when we have people walking around who've been to the loving moon (the FF didn't even get that far in their first trip) and came back fine. I don't know anyone who's been bitten by a radioactive spider or survived a close up experience with a nuclear weapon.

I bet the new movie is going to use the Ultimate FF version, a form of teleportation that involves traveling through parallel dimensions temporarily.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Skwirl posted:

My point was getting powers from "cosmic rays, while in a low earth orbit" makes a lot less sense when we have people walking around who've been to the loving moon (the FF didn't even get that far in their first trip) and came back fine. I don't know anyone who's been bitten by a radioactive spider or survived a close up experience with a nuclear weapon.

I bet the new movie is going to use the Ultimate FF version, a form of teleportation that involves traveling through parallel dimensions temporarily.

Honestly my problem with the FF origin needing an update isnt so much that people have been to the moon and came back fine (after all, other people have died attempting to get into orbit, so its not like its 100% safe), its that "He didnt put radiation shielding in the ship" now makes him look like a massive idiot. "There is a lot of radiation in space, and radiation bad" is literally high school science now. Of course it wasnt in 1961, but nowadays it hardly makes Reed seem like a supergenius.

I didnt hate the update of the origin for the movie to be honest. Admittedly every other part of the movie was loving dreadful, but they managed to update the origin okay.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Stop over-thinking the FF's origin and the whole sliding timescale thing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

To be honest I think the most dated super-origin of all is the X-men. They used to be "children of the atom", but even after they introduced the "x-gene", the idea of a single gene that has no real reason for appearing giving people so many ridiculous powers is pushing suspension of disbelief way further than is advisable. "Hey guys, I have a gene in me and now I can control gravity."

I wonder if that's part of why the Inhuman thing happened.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

That's really no more ridiculous than any of Lee's (or Kirby's or whoever) sciencey origin stories.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think the sheer scale of it makes it sillier.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

To be honest I think the most dated super-origin of all is the X-men. They used to be "children of the atom", but even after they introduced the "x-gene", the idea of a single gene that has no real reason for appearing giving people so many ridiculous powers is pushing suspension of disbelief way further than is advisable. "Hey guys, I have a gene in me and now I can control gravity."

Celestials put the X-gene as a sleeper thing in pre-humans to start awakening and activating later.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Oh poo poo, I totally forgot about that. That actually does make it easier to swallow.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Did they make that the official explanation or is it only an Earth X thing?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

They did it in the Apocalypse origin comic IIRC. He got his powers from a celestial and became the first mutant.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jul 7, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

Earth X, I thought. :shrug:

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Fantastic 4s origin just needs to be updated to them traveling to the negative zone instead of space. Isn't that what the Ultimate version was?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dacap posted:

Fantastic 4s origin just needs to be updated to them traveling to the negative zone instead of space. Isn't that what the Ultimate version was?

Something like that, it definitely wasn't a spaceship. Also, I'm pretty sure that recent mentions of their origin say that Reed built faulty radiation shielding, not that it was nonexistent.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
they don't really need to update the origins, I mean Marvel time makes no sense anyway so who cares how out of date the origins are.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

they don't really need to update the origins, I mean Marvel time makes no sense anyway so who cares how out of date the origins are.

Non-comic readers might be confused about someone in their 20s being alive during the space race.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

In UFF it was a teleporter to the negative zone. I think a spaceship still works better, but just make it so they're going through a wormhole or testing a warp drive or something

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Just have Reed's revolutionary new radiation shielding alter the radiation in such a way that, instead of just exploding their cell membranes, it gives them superpowers. You could have the first movie be about the Fantastic Four trying to keep the shielding technology out of the hands of Doom, who wants to use it to create an army of super-powered soldiers.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lurdiak posted:

Non-comic readers might be confused about someone in their 20s being alive during the space race.

If that stumps them then oh boy are they in for a ride.

Especially if they ask how marvel time works, well it doesn't but you know what I mean.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If you start applying real-world physics, chemistry and biology to comic books, the list of things that make no sense or are literally impossible is neverending and encompasses almost everything ever printed in a comic book. It is just not a path one should wander down. To enjoy superhero comics you have to suspend your disbelief and ignore anything you know about science or how the universe works.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SiKboy posted:

Honestly my problem with the FF origin needing an update isnt so much that people have been to the moon and came back fine (after all, other people have died attempting to get into orbit, so its not like its 100% safe), its that "He didnt put radiation shielding in the ship" now makes him look like a massive idiot. "There is a lot of radiation in space, and radiation bad" is literally high school science now. Of course it wasnt in 1961, but nowadays it hardly makes Reed seem like a supergenius.

I didnt hate the update of the origin for the movie to be honest. Admittedly every other part of the movie was loving dreadful, but they managed to update the origin okay.

A few things have used that revised version of the FF's origin and saying they got caught with their pants down by the worst onslaught of cosmic radiation ever is a good compromise.

If I was rebooting the Fantastic Four, I'd have Reed predicting a gamma ray burst that would boil off half the planet and he goes into space to try to shield the planet. No one believes him so he recruits his friends to help but it's a suicide mission where they knows the shielding for the passengers probably won't hold. Fill in the obvious blanks and you've got an origin that makes them worldwide heroes before becoming the FF. It helps bridge the transition a bit more cleanly, Reed isn't an idiot, and the Thing gets a bit more pathos ("Woe is me! People love me for saving them and reject me for my appearance! Why didn't I die in space?"). Poor Sue and Johnny are always going to be the loose end of the origin, though.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I disagree, I think Reed knowing that it is his fault that this happened to his loved ones is an important part of his character.
Sorry for the million pictures, had to take them from panel view off my phone.
From the first issue of Mark Waid's F4

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So the solution is, hire Mark Waid as a consultant right the gently caress now.

But then this would end up in the film.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

So the solution is, hire Mark Waid as a consultant right the gently caress now.

I understand they already have a Mark consulting for them...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Metal Loaf posted:

I understand they already have a Mark consulting for them...

Oh good, the Thing is gonna be a rapist and the Human Torch a pedophile.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Q: Why am I supposed to hate Rick Remender this time?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Some people think Black Jet is 14 for some reason? I'm getting this fourth-hand from Mark Waid's twitter though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I heard somebody write into the iFanboy podcast about her age when she hooked up with The Falcon in the last issue of Cap, but I, like the people on the podcast can't remember her being presented as a kid (e: at the end of the arc), though maybe there is something in there.
I know he was on the planet for ten years. Pretty sure the was 'adult' at the end of it.

Mr. Maltose posted:

She looked like 8~10 when Steve first broke out with the baby in Cap, but a major issue is that asking a comic book artist to draw a child is such a crapshoot she might have been 5 or 15.

That'd make her around 20 with the time that passed, right?

e: Oh man some of the linked stuff in here http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2014/07/falcon-jet-scene-in-captain-america-22-sparks-calls-for-remenders-firing/. Internet!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jul 8, 2014

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
She looked like 8~10 when Steve first broke out with the baby in Cap, but a major issue is that asking a comic book artist to draw a child is such a crapshoot she might have been 5 or 15.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mr. Maltose posted:

In the very issue in question she mentions being 23

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Senor Candle posted:

I disagree, I think Reed knowing that it is his fault that this happened to his loved ones is an important part of his character.
Sorry for the million pictures, had to take them from panel view off my phone.
From the first issue of Mark Waid's F4

The thing is that Waid is pretty much the only guy to approach the origin from that direction. It's a terrific idea and it works brilliantly, but if no one is going to use that characterization for Reed then you might as well let it go.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I'm reading Daredevil End of Days after finishing Bendis's DD run last night.

Does Milla Donovan get un-blind between these two runs? She certainly doesn't act blind in EoD.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Unmature posted:

I'm reading Daredevil End of Days after finishing Bendis's DD run last night.

Does Milla Donovan get un-blind between these two runs? She certainly doesn't act blind in EoD.

She's just very well adapted to being blind.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

In the very issue in question she mentions being 23

She's not exactly human and was vat-grown, she could be 2 and it wouldn't really be an issue, would it? Like, no one would argue a girl making out with Ben Reilly was a pedophile just because he's technically 5? It's not like she looks or acts like a child or even a teen.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lurdiak posted:

She's not exactly human and was vat-grown, she could be 2 and it wouldn't really be an issue, would it? Like, no one would argue a girl making out with Ben Reilly was a pedophile just because he's technically 5? It's not like she looks or acts like a child or even a teen.

Well they show her as a child when Ian was a baby, and time moves differently so she lived 23 years.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Well they show her as a child when Ian was a baby, and time moves differently so she lived 23 years.

I totally forgot about them showing her as a child. I kinda assumed she stepped out of a tube full grown. Still, if she's 23 now, I don't know what people are complaining about. It's not a Layla Miller situation where she went from 10 to 25 in a week from her lover's point of view, and I seem to be one of the few people who was even creeped out by that.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Wouldn't the most creepy one be the female Green Lantern who willed herself older so she could get with Hal Jordan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Madkal posted:

Wouldn't the most creepy one be the female Green Lantern who willed herself older so she could get with Hal Jordan?
Yeah, they've retconned that one up one side and down the other to cleanse it.