Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh it's the whole block! I thought it was just the first IP that I couldn't use. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Here is what I found.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/dynamic-address-allocation-resolution/13711-40.html

I really don't remember seeing anything about IP Subnet Zero in the Netacad course for ICND1.

What review material are you using?

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Todd Lammle's CCENT Study Guide (where this question came from, Ch4 Review Questions) and Chris Bryant's ICND-1 Study Guide. Bryant's book has a weird composition to it and some errors but the last chapter on subnetting and finding host/broadcast/VLSM solutions has a lot of useful practice questions. Lammle's book has a lot of good practice questions in it as well. I'm going through that book again and taking notes this time, hoping it sticks so I can finally take this exam after dragging my feet for about 2 years or so.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

rock2much posted:

Todd Lammle's CCENT Study Guide (where this question came from, Ch4 Review Questions) and Chris Bryant's ICND-1 Study Guide. Bryant's book has a weird composition to it and some errors but the last chapter on subnetting and finding host/broadcast/VLSM solutions has a lot of useful practice questions. Lammle's book has a lot of good practice questions in it as well. I'm going through that book again and taking notes this time, hoping it sticks so I can finally take this exam after dragging my feet for about 2 years or so.

Coming in to pimp http://subnettingquestions.com/ again. Best way to study subnetting.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Are there any decent providers of certification video material that are DRM free?

CompTIA/Cisco/Red Hat stuff.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Xik posted:

Are there any decent providers of certification video material that are DRM free?

CompTIA/Cisco/Red Hat stuff.

INE cisco videos don't have any DRM on them.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Whats everyone's strategy for exam revision? I just looked at a video course provided by my employer and it was garbage. I took a practice exam and almost every question was something that wasn't covered (completely) in the video series. The videos were from PlauralSight which I think used to be TrainSignal but i'm not sure.

Should I try and get hold or access to CBT Nuggets? When I used to do Cisco exams there was a press eBook which everyone used to read? Is that just a Cisco thing or do MS do it too?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
MSDN posted a shitload of reference books for free download.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

deimos posted:

Fantastic!

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Yup, downloaded them all already! They're fine!

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Passed ICND1 today. Everything was going great with me taking my time and reading everything thoroughly. I was budgeting my time to maximize it, and on question 45/50 when suddenly it was a huge OSPF sim to diagnose adjacency issues (6 routers and 4 questions in the sim). Suddenly I was in panic mode. I couldn't remember anything, especially commands to do things like show hello timers. Half my commands weren't enabled on the sim.

Time was now at 6 minutes. I had to essentially guess rather than risk 5 unanswered questions.

Turned out ok, but still that was one hell of a curveball. I'll make sure to budget a 10 minute buffer next time.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

deimos posted:

Holy loving poo poo - most of those are terrible and introductory and stupid, but there is a PDF in that list which is worth its weight in gold. Technet has the ability to export articles to PDF or HTML. The problem is that it is limited to 200 articles, which seems like a ton, but often Technet articles are 3 bullets and a few links. So if you try to export something say, "DHCP in Server 2012", that's 250 articles even though maybe 20 of them are substantive. It's a nightmare.

Well sir, one of the free books they're offering appears to be a giant Technet dump of all Server 2012 and R2 content. 8,709 pages. Just the sexiest thing you'll ever see, especially since the 2012 R2 exam books which have been released aren't exactly thorough and you need to go to Technet anyway - well boom, there you go, all the content in one downloadable PDF.

Load the page and search "Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows Server 2012 TechNet Library Documentation"

Sidebar, does anyone know of the same PDF for 2008 R2? Would love to download all of that.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Holy loving poo poo - most of those are terrible and introductory and stupid

Yeah but there are a few goldmines, the powershell cheat sheets are also neat.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I'm being too tough on it and coming across as though I don't appreciate it - I do! :)

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'm being too tough on it and coming across as though I don't appreciate it - I do! :)

Oh I agree with everything you say, but gift horses and mouths, I haven't really done a lot of exploration of the list but I saw the windows 8 programming and the Petzold full books which are ~1K pages and guessed some guys here might benefit from having that link. That technet PDF is 100% going into my ohh poo poo USB.

edit: Another gem: TCP/IP Fundamentals for Microsoft Windows (2008)

deimos fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 8, 2014

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Well sir, one of the free books they're offering appears to be a giant Technet dump of all Server 2012 and R2 content. 8,709 pages. Just the sexiest thing you'll ever see, especially since the 2012 R2 exam books which have been released aren't exactly thorough and you need to go to Technet anyway - well boom, there you go, all the content in one downloadable PDF.

Wait... I recently took the first Server 2012 test and... well I didn't get the score I wanted. Are my books that I bought only a few months ago already out of date?

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
It depends, what do they say on the front? Both the exams and textbooks were updated "recently" - But we'd need more info to find out whether yours were.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

It depends, what do they say on the front? Both the exams and textbooks were updated "recently" - But we'd need more info to find out whether yours were.

I didn't think any R2 books were out yet?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

What version would it be from this:
Exam Details:
Program Name: Microsoft (070, 071, 074, MBx)
Exam Name/Description: Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012
Exam Number: 070410
Exam Language: U.S. ENGLISH

Test date 11 JUN 2014

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Wait... I recently took the first Server 2012 test and... well I didn't get the score I wanted. Are my books that I bought only a few months ago already out of date?

The Microsoft books aren't great for actually getting you prepped for the test as they should be. The people who write the books obviously have nothing to do with the folks who put together the test and vice versa. I feel that the books emphasis things too much that won't even be in the test and the test still has too many trick questions and poo poo that doesn't matter.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

AlternateAccount posted:

I didn't think any R2 books were out yet?

Here's one as an example: Here

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Frankly - almost certainly. There's I think 3 of the 5 MCSE R2 books released so far, and 2 of those just came out. I think the only one that's been out as far back as March was the 70-410 book.

Microsoft has changed how they write their exam books. For the 2003 and 2008 series books, the book was basically all you needed. Reinforcing concepts on Technet and self-study would give you an extra 50 or 100 points, but you could prooobably pass by rote memorization. For 2012, the exam books are now just a head start on your studying. A photographic memory for each exam book probably only gets you to 500/1000 at this point. You've got to go above and beyond the books now, which is why that Technet PDF I mentioned is going to be so critical, that's a wonderful resource.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Thanks for the PDFs, especially the one MCFS suggested. I've taken 70-410 and 70-411, but got burnt out before I buckled down on 70-412. I guess I've got to do that one of these days!

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
I am hitting ICND1 pretty hard for the last 2 weeks. Took my first practice test from the new Odom book, 45 questions, needed 800 to pass, scored 800. Much better than I was expecting, but no padding so to speak. Bombed most of the NAT stuff as that is the chapter I haven't really gotten into yet. Wonder if I am close enough to schedule and take it in the next 2 weeks now.

Zaii
Nov 6, 2005

Check it out, I downloaded a little dance!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I bought the books, I swotted up on CBTNuggets, Udemy and as many resources as I could find. All proved nearly useless. I only passed due to severe luck / guessing.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Microsoft certs are kinda just... Odd, they're not even comparable other Vendors.

Why Microsoft doesn't add the needed polish beats me.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

OhDearGodNo posted:

Passed ICND1 today. Everything was going great with me taking my time and reading everything thoroughly. I was budgeting my time to maximize it, and on question 45/50 when suddenly it was a huge OSPF sim to diagnose adjacency issues (6 routers and 4 questions in the sim). Suddenly I was in panic mode. I couldn't remember anything, especially commands to do things like show hello timers. Half my commands weren't enabled on the sim.

Time was now at 6 minutes. I had to essentially guess rather than risk 5 unanswered questions.

Turned out ok, but still that was one hell of a curveball. I'll make sure to budget a 10 minute buffer next time.

I'm taking ICND1 on Friday. Good to know that my extra study of OSPF commands may pay off.

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.

OhDearGodNo posted:

I got my INCD1 last week, and I hit the same question roughly, except it was in the first half of the exam. That's a kick in the nuts to get the sims at the end. Honestly the sims took the majority of my time as the rest of the questions were pretty clear with the answers after 30 seconds of reading and re-reading the question (DO THIS). I ended up finishing with 20 minutes to go but at least a good 30 minutes of the exam I spent checking and double checking on the sims. Also, yeah the fact that they lock out commands threw me for a loop as they want you to use specific commands to get the info they ask for, even though there's often simpler and quicker ways to get to it that anyone actually working in an real environment would use.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

QPZIL posted:

Thanks for the PDFs, especially the one MCFS suggested. I've taken 70-410 and 70-411, but got burnt out before I buckled down on 70-412. I guess I've got to do that one of these days!

What did you study to pass the first 2?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I would say the vast majority involved subnetting, after that base configuration and for switches a couple about access aspects of port settings.

Most importantly be able to subnet in under a minute and you should be set.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Thirteenth Step posted:

What did you study to pass the first 2?

At the time I had a membership to Trainsignal (now Pluralsight I think?) through my work. I think that's expired now, but they had pretty decent videos. I still had to do a lot of labbing and reading on my own though, but the tests weren't as bad as I thought they'd be.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

QPZIL posted:

At the time I had a membership to Trainsignal (now Pluralsight I think?) through my work. I think that's expired now, but they had pretty decent videos. I still had to do a lot of labbing and reading on my own though, but the tests weren't as bad as I thought they'd be.

I've got the same PluralSight subscription through work and i've done the whole thing and failed a practice test miserably. So now i'm working my way through some CBT nuggets videos to see if they're any better. When you say "reading" what did you read? Just poo poo you found on the internet or some sort of official documentation?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Thirteenth Step posted:

I've got the same PluralSight subscription through work and i've done the whole thing and failed a practice test miserably. So now i'm working my way through some CBT nuggets videos to see if they're any better. When you say "reading" what did you read? Just poo poo you found on the internet or some sort of official documentation?

Most just poo poo around the internet. I took each concept that Pluralsight mentioned and just labbed the hell out of it and learned it inside and out. But, it also helps that I've had a few years experience administrating Server 2008 R2, so some of the concepts carried over.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Here's one as an example: Here

Man, that gets some pretty rough reviews though.

Is there a consensus on which company provides the most "accurate" practice tests? Maybe I should just start there...

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Exam references prep you for the test. They need to ship proper Self-paced training kit. Certing up for exchange was sweet because there was a Self-paced and an exam reference.

I wholly suspect microsoft is not shiping self-paced because they want to increase the perceived value of the certs by making everyone take classes.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Red87 posted:

I got my INCD1 last week, and I hit the same question roughly, except it was in the first half of the exam. That's a kick in the nuts to get the sims at the end. Honestly the sims took the majority of my time as the rest of the questions were pretty clear with the answers after 30 seconds of reading and re-reading the question (DO THIS). I ended up finishing with 20 minutes to go but at least a good 30 minutes of the exam I spent checking and double checking on the sims. Also, yeah the fact that they lock out commands threw me for a loop as they want you to use specific commands to get the info they ask for, even though there's often simpler and quicker ways to get to it that anyone actually working in an real environment would use.

Oh man that sucks. I don't get why they would lock out commands. I just know they are going to want me to do it the way I'm not comfortable with.

Spambort
Jun 19, 2012
so just failed my ccna 200-120 test with a 547, the more detailed icnd2 questions ruined me and not being able to review my answers was a problem.
Paying outta pocket really added the cherry on top for depression. Since I'm unemployed i'm going to try getting a tech job (possibly NOC-related) and go for each test individually instead.

Don't skimp the lab work is all I can really add, get the commands beaten down.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Spambort posted:

so just failed my ccna 200-120 test with a 547, the more detailed icnd2 questions ruined me and not being able to review my answers was a problem.
Paying outta pocket really added the cherry on top for depression. Since I'm unemployed i'm going to try getting a tech job (possibly NOC-related) and go for each test individually instead.

Don't skimp the lab work is all I can really add, get the commands beaten down.

Dont worry about. Next time you take the test you will be more comfortable with it and have some idea of what you are in for. The biggest thing with those sim questions is to take your time and really pay attention to the details of the sim. Do you not have access to a lab or simulator to practice? Looked into Boson or GSN3 at all?

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
Yeah, I think the sim questions try to complicate really simple problems. Most things can be "fixed" or configured using just a few lines of config.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
What is the exact logic of locking out some functionality that every router/switch on the test, that in the real would would have available to you?

I have my 100-101 ICND1 scheduled tomorrow.