Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

It's both.

What's the over-under on the Arkham Knight totally eclipsing Scarecrow as the antagonist of this game and/or having some stupid poo poo to do with the Joker? Because my gut tells me to feel pessimistic on this one, even though Arkham City was such a direct step up from Asylum with seemingly direct responses to criticisms about Asylum and I really really really want to believe Rocksteady won't poo poo the bed.

Well, he's literally the guy in the title of the game so odds are pretty good he's going to overshadow The Scarecrow.

He may have something to do with The Joker if just because the odds are pretty good he is either Jason Todd or a remarkably Jason Todd like character and the Joker is fairly heavily tied to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

It's both.

What's the over-under on the Arkham Knight totally eclipsing Scarecrow as the antagonist of this game and/or having some stupid poo poo to do with the Joker? Because my gut tells me to feel pessimistic on this one, even though Arkham City was such a direct step up from Asylum with seemingly direct responses to criticisms about Asylum and I really really really want to believe Rocksteady won't poo poo the bed.

The good news is that Paul Dini isn't writing this one so maybe the story will be at least bearable, unlike Asylum and City.

v *sharp inhale* ohhhhh.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 8, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

The good news is that Paul Dini isn't writing this one so maybe the story will be at least bearable, unlike Asylum and City.

Geoff Johns is involved with it so I wouldn't hold out hope.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ah gently caress. Geoff Johns. That guy has been largely poo poo for years. There's actually a decent analysis of him in the "Worst Runs" thread in BSS a few pages back-- no one can agree when exactly he went to poo poo but almost everyone there agrees that he did go to poo poo. My personal feeling? When he took over Teen Titans, although it took a few arcs before it became fully apparent.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Arkham Knight going to be a brainwashed Dick Grayson.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The Arkham Knight is going to be Joker 's cloned corpse of brainwashed Jason Todd, hypnotized by the Mad Hatter into believing he is Talia al Ghul, surgically planted in a HARDAC body replica of Barbara Gordon, enhanced with meditation techniques passed down by Lady Shiva(really a fake imitation created by Poison Ivy) that have rewritten its personality to mimic Damien, transformed by the Lazarus Pit and the treatments of the ghost of Professor Strange into a perfect copy of Solomon Wayne that believes he is the heir of the mantle of Batman's future Cadmus project clone-child's illegitimate ward, Man-Bat, only he's gone into a fugue state where he believes he is actually a retconned character from a previous version of the universe(before Ultimate Crisis), Red Hood, who has a secondary backup personality in the case of subconscious tampering by the Court of Owls, which has prepared for the situation by studying and perfectly mimicking the behaviors, tics and techniques of the Gray Ghost, which will be revealed to call himself the Joker.

What a twist! Geoff Jones is really pushing the edges of conventional narrative while staying true to the historic themes of the Batman mythos. I can't wait.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 8, 2014

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Discendo Vox posted:

The Arkham Knight is going to be Joker 's cloned corpse of brainwashed Jason Todd, hypnotized by the Mad Hatter into believing he is Talia al Ghul, surgically planted in a HARDAC body replica of Barbara Gordon, enhanced with nanomachines from Brainiac that have rewritten its personality to mimic Damien, transformed by the Lazarus Pit and the treatments of the ghost of Professor Strange into a perfect copy of Solomon Wayne that believes he is the heir of the mantle of Batman's future Cadmus project clone-child's illegitimate ward, Man-Bat, only he's gone into a fugue state where he believes he is actually a retconned character from a previous version of the universe(before Ultimate Crisis), Red Hood, who has a secondary backup personality in the case of subconscious tampering by the Court of Owls, which has prepared for the situation by studying and perfectly mimicking the behaviors, tics and techniques of the Gray Ghost, which will be revealed to call himself the Joker.

Somewhere a comic book writer is literally furious he didn't think of this poo poo first

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Don't quote it, please, I have another thousand words or so I need to add. It's all terribly symbolic and meaningful. I still need to work in smashing a costume case, Phantasm, a giant penny, Harvey Dent's wife, the Anti-Life Equation and/or Omega Beams, Black Glove, an ill-considered action by the last vestiges of the old organized crime families, and Ace the Bat-Hound. Ooh! and a crowbar! Gotta find somewhere to stick in a crowbar!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 8, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

The Arkham Knight is going to be Joker 's cloned corpse of brainwashed Jason Todd, hypnotized by the Mad Hatter into believing he is Talia al Ghul, surgically planted in a HARDAC body replica of Barbara Gordon, enhanced with nanomachines from Brainiac that have rewritten its personality to mimic Damien, transformed by the Lazarus Pit and the treatments of the ghost of Professor Strange into a perfect copy of Solomon Wayne that believes he is the heir of the mantle of Batman's future Cadmus project clone-child's illegitimate ward, Man-Bat, only he's gone into a fugue state where he believes he is actually a retconned character from a previous version of the universe(before Ultimate Crisis), Red Hood, who has a secondary backup personality in the case of subconscious tampering by the Court of Owls, which has prepared for the situation by studying and perfectly mimicking the behaviors, tics and techniques of the Gray Ghost, which will be revealed to call himself the Joker.

What a twist! Jones is really pushing the edges of conventional narrative while staying true to the historic themes of the Batman mythos. I can't wait.

Everything but the use of Brainiac has me convinced your post was actually pilfered from a draft somewhere in DC headquarters.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Sorry, my bad. That was a JLU plotline iirc. I'll fix it, one moment.

edit: fixed. Think DC or Rocksteady will give me a job?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 8, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You're half-right. Really though Batman writers would never "stoop" to using a Superman villain unless it was Lex or someone similarly "realistic" like Batman "is."

Also you need to work in Jonah Hex, Joe Chill, Clayface, and Dr. Arkham

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Give me some time to finish what I'm working on right now and I'll set up a google hangout. We can finish workshopping this draft script and send it to the developers direct.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I am quite seriously in stitches right now.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 8, 2014

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Email your treatment to Joel Schumacker.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Batmobile: Bruce, it's yours, all right! The baby is yours! And I'm keeping it!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 8, 2014

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I still always laugh at Comic Book's need to draw every single character buff as hell. I mean, when you have a loving 65-70 year old Magneto looking roided out as hell, something is wrong. Batman does the same thing by making every single villain known to man "expert marksmen".

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Eh, once you realize that most artists can only reliably draw one or two body types for each gender in a variety of poses and you realize what kinds of insane deadlines they're on it becomes a lot easier to forgive, even if in examples like Magneto it comes across as wildly inaccurate.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

blackguy32 posted:

I still always laugh at Comic Book's need to draw every single character buff as hell. I mean, when you have a loving 65-70 year old Magneto looking roided out as hell, something is wrong.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

His pecs were fake in that movie.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
I got 100% of the achievements in Arkham Asylum, 100% in Arkham City, and I completed every single-player achievement in Arkham Origins. Why did they have to add a lovely multiplayer mode that I have to deal with if I want 100%?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

l33t b4c0n posted:

I got 100% of the achievements in Arkham Asylum, 100% in Arkham City, and I completed every single-player achievement in Arkham Origins. Why did they have to add a lovely multiplayer mode that I have to deal with if I want 100%?

They were hoping for that sweet sweet microtransaction money.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

l33t b4c0n posted:

I'm sorry.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

l33t b4c0n posted:

How quickly did that half-assed multiplayer mode die off anyway? A week or two after release?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

l33t b4c0n posted:

Holy hell, even I'm not insane enough to do 100% achievements/ trophies for Arkham Origins (mainly because the game isnt anywhere near as good as asylum or city). Are you some sort of masochist or something?

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

kalonZombie posted:

Holy hell, even I'm not insane enough to do 100% achievements/ trophies for Arkham Origins (mainly because the game isnt anywhere near as good as asylum or city). Are you some sort of masochist or something?

I love both the combat and predator mechanics of the Arkham series as a whole, because it seems like they're just the right level of challenge for me without becoming insanely impossible. The achievement to beat Deathstroke without missing a counter made me feel like a goddamn sexual Tyrannosaurus, especially after doing it on I am the Night. I'm one of the few who disagrees with the complaints about Origins. I will agree that it's the weakest in the series, but it's still an immensely fun game.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

Mr. Flunchy posted:

How quickly did that half-assed multiplayer mode die off anyway? A week or two after release?

What few rounds I was able to play since release I thought were pretty fun. Being a goon was worse than being a hero, obviously, unless you were the one lucky enough to let Bane/Joker out of the closet and then run amok. I last tried to get into a game about a month ago and there was nobody (on 360, anyways). It's too bad because I like asymmetrical gameplay like that.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Playing as villains in side modes can be pretty fun.

I wonder if the Arkham Knight will be playable.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Man I'm playing through Origins right now (just got past the big climax) and I'm either just sick of Arkham-style Batman games or this is a more mediocre game than City. I'm kinda guessing the former as I can't quite put my finger on what's specifically "wrong" with the game.

One thing I will say is that the boss fights are much more well done than in the other two games, however.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Even though Firefly is basically just a redone version of the Poison Ivy fight without the random thugs, I still think he's the best boss from Origins.

Could just be because I really like Firefly, though.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

By the time I got to the end if Origins I just wanted it to be over too. Maybe it's terribly paced or something or maybe the encounters are really poorly designed so it feels like a slog.

RushJet
Aug 29, 2013

Barfk! Barfk!
:goatdrugs:
Origins just felt half-assed to me. The game honestly lost me after the whole "Who is... 'The Joker'?" line I understand this is an origin story, but when that is the best you could come up with it is clear your writing is heading into a dark, lazy, and poorly thought out place. I even gave the Freeze DLC a fair shot after beating the main story, and to no surprise it was a let down as well.

:iiam:

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

The story in Arkham Origins I feel is the best of the three, but the gameplay changed in minor little ways that I don't enjoy. Asylum and City are much better from a gameplay standpoint.

That said, Origins is a good game. Just not as good or polished as Asylum or City. Though it was interesting seeing the area in Arkham City all relatively intact in Origins.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, think it's a good game in a vacuum, the gameplay is just stale to me after two games of basically the same thing.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

mind the walrus posted:

His pecs were fake in that movie.

Nope.

quote:

Meyer has been repeatedly asked if Montalbán wore a prosthetic chest for his scenes, as his uniform was purposefully designed with an open front. Meyer replied in audio commentary for the film that Montalbán (who was 61 during filming) is "one strong cookie," and that no prosthetics were applied to the actor's sizeable frame.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
I feel the combat in Origins is sloppy compared to City, where it was perfected from Asylum. I was able to get all the medals in the combat missions in Asylum and City, but something was lost in Origins. Like I said, the combat's sloppy. Hits coming from nowhere, frequently punching the wrong goon, not acknowledging counters... it's like Rocksteady gave WB Montreal %90 of the code and told them to figure the rest out. I love the Batman games. I've finished Asylum a total of five times (twice on 360, twice on PC, once on PS3), City twice (360 and PC), but I can't bring myself to go through Origins again on ANY other system. And it's not fatigue I'm feeling; I'm cruising through City yet again on PC to pick up Steam cards after the GFWL disintegration.

Origins feels hollow. I'm looking forward to Knight, and I'm also glad it's intended to bring the story to a close (but I bet WB Montreal will be back to make another loving Bat game with Rocksteady's leftovers again).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really wish people would record their super-glitchy always-punching-the-wrong guy counters-not-working playthroughs if it's really so common. I asked before and people said it's difficult to replicate but other people are saying it happens constantly.

I just really want to see what this looks like so I can understand where people are coming from when they complain about this. :smith: Like the post above me said it happens in the challenge rooms but other people have said it doesn't happen in the challenge rooms and only in the main game.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

ImpAtom posted:

Geoff Johns is involved with it

This is indeed a disturbing universe. :smith:

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

I've never had any problems with Batman punching the wrong person in Origins, but I do have the problem of not knowing how far Batman will go to punch a dude at any given moment. It's like his range changes from punch to punch how far he'll go. Sometimes he'll jump something like a quarter of a street to hit a guy, when other times a guy four feet behind him suddenly turns into "whiff in the air because he's too far away". I still can pretty regularly produce an A or S rank in combat, yeah, but I honestly don't think that I'd get half as many B ranks as I do if I could understand how far Batman will go to whack a dude upside the head.

At least I've finally reconditioned myself to use the other trigger for quick gadgets.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

I don't think I've had any trouble with punching the wrong guy or whiffing, but my problem is that there's so many enemies that you have to use the beatdown on and it gets annoying really fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sleepy Owl posted:

I don't think I've had any trouble with punching the wrong guy or whiffing, but my problem is that there's so many enemies that you have to use the beatdown on and it gets annoying really fast.

You can take most of those out instantly with any given Takedown or basically instantly with the Shock Gloves.

• Locked thread