Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eternal Volfogg
Feb 13, 2012

BOMBER!!!!
I really enjoy the OG games, the robot designs tend to be very over the top, which is my preferred style. Shura bots forever :swoon:. However, I go into an OG game with a different mindset than a mainline game. I typically tend to treat OG games as more of crazy nonsensical fun and not care as much about the story line. In the case of mainline games, I usually become much more invested in the story line and interested in how they change the canon storylines of the shows themselves.

Basically, they fulfill different roles for me.

Alpha 3 Forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Slouch
May 8, 2008

Hokuto posted:

Not to mention that they have complete creative control over the story in OG and can take it in whatever direction they want. The wild west days of Master Asia being an alien from outer space are gone now.

What's different about what they're allowed to do with licensed series in SRW nowadays compared to before? Genuine question, I don't know enough Japanese to read the majority of the story in the games (and generally don't bother looking it up), so I wouldn't know. Did Bandai just arbitrarily hand down an edict in the 2000s saying "no more doing out-there things with our stuff"?

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
They used to do things like put licensed characters in original units (like... Shapiro in Valsione happened once IIRC), vice versa (Cobray goes through like an MP Nu Gundam, Arado originally started in a Zaku in his game) and sometimes you get licensed characters as final bosses like Kaworu in the Eva-03 instead of having some kind of "super powerful force of nature which is an original creation because using a licensed character in that role would be biased or something" all the time.

Wish we could bring back the craziness of those old days with better gameplay.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davzz posted:

and sometimes you get licensed characters as final bosses like Kaworu in the Eva-03 instead of having some kind of "super powerful force of nature which is an original creation because using a licensed character in that role would be biased or something" all the time
Anti-Spiral is the boss of Z3, isn't he?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Davzz posted:

They used to do things like put licensed characters in original units (like... Shapiro in Valsione happened once IIRC), vice versa (Cobray goes through like an MP Nu Gundam, Arado originally started in a Zaku in his game) and sometimes you get licensed characters as final bosses like Kaworu in the Eva-03 instead of having some kind of "super powerful force of nature which is an original creation because using a licensed character in that role would be biased or something" all the time.

Wish we could bring back the craziness of those old days with better gameplay.

Scirroco pilots the Valsion Kai in SRW3 for a certain ending, doesnt he? Shapiro is in SRW4 I think. (Valsione is the lady robot by the way).

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Endorph posted:

Anti-Spiral is the boss of Z3, isn't he?
2nd last, I believe. The real final boss is an Original character, as usual.

KoB posted:

Scirroco pilots the Valsion Kai in SRW3 for a certain ending, doesnt he? Shapiro is in SRW4 I think. (Valsione is the lady robot by the way).
Yeah, I'm probably mixing names up.

Also, could be a bad memory but I believed Gosterro (sp?) from Layzner in a Devil Gundam was a boss (maybe final?) in a game, so that's one licensed character piloting a unit from a completely different property.

Seriously, when the story does jokes like putting Heero in Bonta-kun for Z3-1 or something, I would love to actually be able to use it in gameplay instead of it just being a cutscene thing.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Davzz posted:

Yeah, I'm probably mixing names up.

Shapiro also has a Valsion in F so you're right either way.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Davzz posted:

2nd last, I believe. The real final boss is an Original character, as usual.

That guy is an epilogue. He'll probably be the final boss of the full Z3 experience, but the Anti-Spiral is considered the final stage of Z3.1. The game's original final boss is a speedbump on the way to that guy, too.

Z3.1 is awesome.

Rand and Crowe are both off type and I can't wait for either of them to crash the OG party. Setsuko is probably going to have some OG dude step in to comfort her, though.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
SRW4 had Koros and Don Zauther piloting Guest mecha. Both in Liege Geios, I believe. Why not let you fight their Meganoid forms? Who knows.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Caphi posted:

That guy is an epilogue. He'll probably be the final boss of the full Z3 experience, but the Anti-Spiral is considered the final stage of Z3.1. The game's original final boss is a speedbump on the way to that guy, too.

Z3.1 is awesome.

Rand and Crowe are both off type and I can't wait for either of them to crash the OG party. Setsuko is probably going to have some OG dude step in to comfort her, though.

Kai and Denzel would totally hit it off over a glass of beer.

I'm gonna go with him, Lat, Seolla and Arado being her closest friends on account of him being that similar to Denzel and them having gone through similar losses of dear friends.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Super Hero Generation announced for PS3/Vita. Ultraman/Kamen Rider/Gundam cross-over SRPG thing, probably a follow up to that Lost Heroes 3DS game?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Policenaut posted:

Super Hero Generation announced for PS3/Vita. Ultraman/Kamen Rider/Gundam cross-over SRPG thing, probably a follow up to that Lost Heroes 3DS game?

I hope we get ridiculous combo attacks again, if so. Kamen Rider Den-O and W having a combo attack in the original is one of my favorite things. Also God Gundam and one of the Ultramans (I don't really know much about Ultraman) had a double burning finger attack which is, of course, fantastic.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 8, 2014

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

Is that just going to deal with giant robots and monsters and stuff, or somehow the human-sized units too (i.e. the MS pilots)?

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Historically they've shrunk down the Ultramen and Gundams to human size, I expect it'll be the same here.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Policenaut posted:

The first (and likely only) time that Gundam AGE will ever be acknowledged outside of Gundam Vs and SD games.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

TARDISman posted:

The first (and likely only) time that Gundam AGE will ever be acknowledged outside of Gundam Vs and SD games.
Outside of Terada and co. getting permission from Hino/Level 5 to take a sledgehammer or twelve to the plot in a future SRW, probably.

Then again, they're using the Memory of Eden movie instead of the TV series, so...who knows?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Why isn't G Gundam in that game? The one game where we might get Master Asia punching a robot.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

AradoBalanga posted:

Outside of Terada and co. getting permission from Hino/Level 5 to take a sledgehammer or twelve to the plot in a future SRW, probably.

Then again, they're using the Memory of Eden movie instead of the TV series, so...who knows?

The big thing with AGE is it'd take like... 3 games to tell unless you just say "gently caress it" and do just one generation. Hell, they could do it alongside Gundam, Zeta, and CCA, so people can compare them side by side.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

TARDISman posted:

The big thing with AGE is it'd take like... 3 games to tell unless you just say "gently caress it" and do just one generation. Hell, they could do it alongside Gundam, Zeta, and CCA, so people can compare them side by side.

It could start in generation 2 and have a W-esque timeskip to gen 3 or something.

Honestly, I'd expect them to just start at gen 3 and have it match up with Nadesico or something.

I kinda just want more Nadesico.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Nadesico's only interesting unit is the Nadesico itself.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

It and Escaflowne can hang out together.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

Yes, but it gives me like 6 units that I can use to fill out my roster with shows I actually like instead of having to use Kira or something.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

The black selena and super aestivalis would like a word with you.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

One day, Nadesico will return.

And then everyone will wonder how in the hell Yurika is their top ace by the 25% completion mark.

KoB
May 1, 2009

AradoBalanga posted:

One day, Nadesico will return.

And then everyone will wonder how in the hell Yurika is their top ace by the 25% completion mark.

Everyone talks about how the Nadesico is a beast but it never gets a chance for me when its long side Kaiser, Great Mazinger, Tekkaman, GaoGaiGar, Granteed, etc etc.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

KoB posted:

Everyone talks about how the Nadesico is a beast but it never gets a chance for me when its long side Kaiser, Great Mazinger, Tekkaman, GaoGaiGar, Granteed, etc etc.

In J, which is what most people are talking about, you get it before any of those bar Tekkaman Blade and the enemies never attack him, so she kills everyone on the counter. Plus she has a MAP attack. And the Nadesico is so much better than the Archangel.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

KoB posted:

In my case, it's because grunts like to attack the battleships, and the Nadesico is good enough I can let it handle all of those on its own, especially with its barrier. I did the same thing with the Mother Vanguard in @2.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Caphi posted:

Setsuko and Rand meet Katina and think having a sphere that makes you angry all the time must suck. Sorry she's just like that. And Ryusei's just like that about robots? Yup. Crowe and Excellen has the potential to be the worst poo poo, though all the OG ladies are probably one dimensional/honest enough for him to be fine with them.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

TheManSeries posted:

The black selena and super aestivalis would like a word with you.

I dunno, the Black Serena pretty much just rams things with its face. It's pretty loving boring.

Prism posted:

In my case, it's because grunts like to attack the battleships, and the Nadesico is good enough I can let it handle all of those on its own, especially with its barrier. I did the same thing with the Mother Vanguard in @2.

Alpha 2 was the only game that actually did battleships right because every single one of them was excellent. Basically every other game has only one good battleship or no good battleships.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ahahahaha. They're using Memories of Eden instead of Age itself. That's loving fantastic

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kanos posted:

Alpha 2 was the only game that actually did battleships right because every single one of them was excellent. Basically every other game has only one good battleship or no good battleships.
Z2.2 has the Ikaruga and the Shin Getter Dragon, does that count?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Kanos posted:

I never really understood their insistence in giving some battleships terrible aim. In original generations you would consistently get 30% chances to hit. That just makes me never use the battleships for anything. It is not like their attacks are super power and one shot the bad guys.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Ethiser posted:

I never really understood their insistence in giving some battleships terrible aim. In original generations you would consistently get 30% chances to hit. That just makes me never use the battleships for anything. It is not like their attacks are super power and one shot the bad guys.

That's a function of the size modifiers.

Though I've had decent hit rates with the Z3 battleships so far. 70-80 to hit reals is pretty good.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Endorph posted:

Z2.2 has the Ikaruga and the Shin Getter Dragon, does that count?

You would have to be a crackhead to not use Zero in the Shinkiro(jesus christ, that MAP) and Ougi is extremely whatever, so the Ikaruga is bleh. If Shin Dragon wasn't 3L it would be a straight worse version of the Shin Getter with a mediocre MAP weapon bolted on.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Kanos posted:

You would have to be a crackhead to not use Zero in the Shinkiro(jesus christ, that MAP) and Ougi is extremely whatever, so the Ikaruga is bleh. If Shin Dragon wasn't 3L it would be a straight worse version of the Shin Getter with a mediocre MAP weapon bolted on.

"Worse than Shin Getter" applies to every unit that lacks a great MAP attack in Z2.2. Besides, Shin Dragon makes Shin Getter even better by giving it access to Shin Shine Spark, the strongest attack in the game and that's worth a deployment slot, especially given how lackluster the other battleships are.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Ethiser posted:

It was the era of pre-accuracy stat. Also both battleship captains have terrible Hit stat the last time I remember.

I think the gameplay design reason is that battleships are actually in a sense supposed to play a supporting role in battle because they're the enemies' win condition. If battleships are too strong then the enemy would basically never ever win through killing the player (Hello J's Nadesico).

But then I think at some point they realized that the AI in SRW never wins through that method anyway so now it's OK to make good battleships and focus the "difficulty" on either Battle Masteries or encouraging the player to play more efficiently.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Davzz posted:

Also both battleship captains have terrible Hit stat the last time I remember.

Oh yes. Daitetsu has a horrifically bad accuracy stat, being even worse than generic EFA soldiers. Even without the size modifier accuracy penalty, he'd be the least accurate unit in the game. Lefina is better, but not by a whole lot.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Daitetsu drinks too much to be able to aim straight.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

First Super Hero Generation screenshots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010
Did anyone end up doing one of those lengthy plot summaries for Z3-1?

• Locked thread