Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Nuclear throne is the bomb. Very satisfying arena shooter, lots of weapon variety and enemies have enough differences that they change the tactical makeup of a level. Difficulty feels a bit uneven still (it's easy to find yourself in a terrible spawn position on the second miniboss, though they've tried to fix it) but it's clear it's on the right track.

Early access, but has enough content that it doesn't need to be. It's worth noting that the price will actually go down after release to 10 dollars since they want people to report bugs and play through the game but I consider it still well worth my money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

The 'Nuclear Throne' in the title has even been added in the past week or so, making it possible for characters to fulfill the game's journey and reach it.

TyreForHyre
Dec 22, 2011

Ask me about capital Ds and how disintegration is totally rad.
Steam Marines is hella fun. It's Spacehulk/Xcom mixed in with RL elements. It rewards good positioning and the dice roll aspect of it all can be mitigated mostly by using the correct dudes in the right places. It'll punish you, even if you are doing well by throwing what seems like insurmountable amounts of nasties against you, but it's all about learning their weaknesses, when to flank, when to bust down walls to gain better ground, and when it's a good idea to just go ham and beat down a robot. I highly recommend it.

Depressing Drawers
Dec 17, 2004
UR ALREADY DED
Tossed a coin whether I would post this since the thread is on the first page, turns out the coin said I should post this trailer I uploaded for Illuminascii tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K51GG__Xn2Y

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Depressing Drawers posted:

Tossed a coin whether I would post this since the thread is on the first page, turns out the coin said I should post this trailer I uploaded for Illuminascii tonight

This kind of owns. You should definitely keep the thread updated about this.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

And to round out the trifecta --

Helical Nightmares posted:

Edit: what is the consensus on Eldritch? Good/bad?

Meh. It's not terrible but I wouldn't recommend it. I mean, I got ~$1 of entertainment out of it, which is all I paid, but you have to weigh that against the opportunity cost of playing other, much better games.

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy

Anyone have experience with Nuclear Throne or Steam Marines?

Nuclear Throne: http://nuclearthrone.com

Nuclear Throne is tons of fun. It get's weekly updates with new enemies and animations and stuff and it's by Vlambeer who made LUFTRAUSERS and SuperCrateBox. It is pretty fast paced and there's a hint of conserving ammo, it's not EXTREMELY roguelike though you do get your choice of random passive skills at level up, the different characters have 2 attributes (an active skill and another passive thing) and the levels are procedural generated.

Rocking music, fast pace, good weapon variety, check it out! Watch a gameplay video and see if it would be for you.

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

looks legit sick dude

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

If you are looking for feedback you should change the hunger display from "Hunger: Hungry" to just "Hungry"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Better yet display it numerically or as a segmented bar like the other stats.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Anyone have experience with Nuclear Throne

Nuclear Throne is made by Vlambeer, which should tell you everything you need to know if you've played any of their games. If you haven't, then let it be known that Vlambeer makes games that are dope as gently caress. In other words, get Nuclear Throne.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Tollymain posted:

What? I can tell the difference between caustic and confusing gas and shadows easily. I just can't tell what the lighting is like in a square without stepping into it to see if my character symbol changes color :v:

They're not identical, just too similar for me, with those three purply shades. Perhaps the standard squares should be a lighter grey and the shadowed tiles could be black.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

New Dwarf Fortress is out:

Fuligin posted:

I came upon an encampment of sleeping goblins. Easily, I went from each to each, taking their heads as trophies. I bashed in the throat of their leader and watched him suffocate. When one awoke he ran screaming and calling for help from his comrades, helpless to stop me as I killed the rest. Finally, as I slowly approached him he tried to climb a tree. I slashed him open from behind and pulled him down by yanking on his intestines.

Release owns.

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

This feels how schizophrenia tastes!

Reive
May 21, 2009

Can someone recommend me a roguelike that doesn't over do it with mechanics?
I like traditional roguelike stuff like randomized/generated items and equipment and levels, and upgrading equipment with enchantments and +1s but I don't really care for the RPG heavy stuff with class systems and skill trees and individual stat points instead of auto-levels.

Basically I want something like an ascii version of what older console roguelikes do, deeper than rogue but not by much and with some unique flair to it.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Reive posted:

I like traditional roguelike stuff like randomized/generated items and equipment and levels, and upgrading equipment with enchantments and +1s but I don't really care for the RPG heavy stuff with class systems and skill trees and individual stat points instead of auto-levels.

Basically I want something like an ascii version of what older console roguelikes do, deeper than rogue but not by much and with some unique flair to it.

You just described Brogue. It's well designed and minimalistic, without being too shallow.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Love how this is shaping up, dude!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Reive posted:

Besides Brogue, DoomRL is good for this as well. There are some light class elements but mostly it's just slight improvements to your toughess/movement/favorite weapon.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Guess I'll play some Borgue then, I tried it in the past but I guess I just forgot about it.
Would I be missing much by playing 1.7.3 instead of the new version? There's a neat mod for the previous one that adds sound effects to everything doomrl style.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

The new version has some very nice improvements. I didn't like 1.7.3 much for various reasons, but the new version fixes those.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Reive posted:

Grab a Genesis/MegaDrive emulator and get ye some Fatal Labyrinth!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFqFVMTgnKw&t=180s

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
One thing I dislike about Brogue now is that allies never naturally level up and you have to luck out and find a wand of empowerment. I understand they were completely broken before and lots of weekend contest wins came from people tediously manipulating their D:1 monkey ally, but now you've got a situation where a lot of allies (particularly early goblins and monkeys) are completely worthless and not even worth rescuing.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

madjackmcmad posted:

Holy poo poo a Genesis game had a paperdoll system

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Reive posted:

POWDER
http://www.zincland.com/powder/?pagename=about

Best coffee-break roguelike I ever played. It's simple, it's got graphics and you can play it on any platform including your grandma's microwave.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Jack Trades posted:

POWDER
http://www.zincland.com/powder/?pagename=about

Best coffee-break roguelike I ever played. It's simple, it's got graphics and you can play it on any platform including your grandma's microwave.

POWDER has almost unrivaled portability, but I found it too hard and complicated! I didn't think it was very simple, but then I expect to grasp every possible mechanic before I feel comfortable with a game. There are just too many objects, object properties and player actions for my brain to think of it as simple.

That, and I found it to be pretty brutal. In a good way for some, a bad way for me.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Thug Lessons posted:

One thing I dislike about Brogue now is that allies never naturally level up and you have to luck out and find a wand of empowerment. I understand they were completely broken before and lots of weekend contest wins came from people tediously manipulating their D:1 monkey ally, but now you've got a situation where a lot of allies (particularly early goblins and monkeys) are completely worthless and not even worth rescuing.

This still really bothers me. I don't think I've ever used a wand of empowerment because weapons are forever, allies are temporary. I've even had trolls fall to pieces within a level or two, and shepherding allies past every eel pond is just a pain.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
I've been playing a lot of Cardinal Quest 2 lately. Lots of things to unlock and lots of achievements to work towards.

I really like how low all the stats are. It makes gaining 1 defense or attack feel like something significant. It just seems easier to wrap my head around than games that add 24 to armor stat whenever you level or whatever. Almost has a boardgame like feel.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

madjackmcmad posted:

Laughing my rear end off at this guy talking poo poo to the enemies in this game. It looks pretty loving awesome though! Looks like it would be cool to have on your phone.

Gooch181 fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 8, 2014

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Bouchacha posted:

does this really happen in game though, or is it someone taking liberties with what happened?

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Danith posted:

does this really happen in game though, or is it someone taking liberties with what happened?

That sort of stuff certainly happens, just in a turn-based fashion. Climbing trees might be new to the latest DF, it's been a while for me.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Bouchacha posted:

I see Adventure Mode is still completely incomprehensible. I'd really love to stomp through a dungeon with Dwarf Fortress style combat, but always just end up wandering through the wilderness trying to figure out where I am or what I'm supposed to do until either I get crushed by the first creature I see, or I just get bored and quit. Then I tell myself it will have more direction in the next release.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

doctorfrog posted:

POWDER has almost unrivaled portability, but I found it too hard and complicated! I didn't think it was very simple, but then I expect to grasp every possible mechanic before I feel comfortable with a game. There are just too many objects, object properties and player actions for my brain to think of it as simple.

That, and I found it to be pretty brutal. In a good way for some, a bad way for me.

Powder is hard as balls but it's still the best phone/tablet/gameboy roguelike out there.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

andrew smash posted:

Powder is hard as balls but it's still the best phone/tablet/gameboy roguelike out there.

Brogue actually works quite well on phone/tablet, though the guy who distributes it charges money and is not the original author. You could probably compile it yourself for free.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Farquar posted:

I see Adventure Mode is still completely incomprehensible. I'd really love to stomp through a dungeon with Dwarf Fortress style combat, but always just end up wandering through the wilderness trying to figure out where I am or what I'm supposed to do until either I get crushed by the first creature I see, or I just get bored and quit. Then I tell myself it will have more direction in the next release.

Unless the undocumented features are really cool (which, in fairness, they might be) this release looks like total rear end. Tons of new stuff for Adventure Mode, which remains nothing but a weird curiosity that gets boring after half an hour if you've ever played a traditional roguelike, crippling FPS issues for fortresses, all utilities and mods broken as per usual... oh, but we get big trees. :geno:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
If you want a portable roguelike download Hoplite.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

madjackmcmad posted:

That sort of stuff certainly happens, just in a turn-based fashion. Climbing trees might be new to the latest DF, it's been a while for me.

Climbing trees is now in, along with other movement options like jumping and such. The trees are really pretty looking and give a million logs when you cut them down now which is really nice. Adventurer mode is shaping up to be really awesome and a lot of neat little additions to how worlds are shaped have been added which impacts the lives of fortresses tremendously, including the ability to retire forts peacefully and officially reclaim old forts if you choose to. Mostly it's all paving the road for Toady to branch off of what he's added and do some really cool poo poo, so the update in general is really good.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

uPen posted:

If you want a portable roguelike download Hoplite.

I like hoplite a lot but it's very unconventional, sometimes you just want a dungeon crawl.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Thanks for all the opinions on Nuclear Throne, Steam Marines and Eldrich.

In the spirit of reciprocity I'll add what information I can.

Sigma-X posted:

What's the general gooncensus on The Pit?

http://sots-thepit.com

I bought it on a steam sale for cheap and have enjoyed it and just bought the expansions during the last steam sale. I am not a huge fan of ASCII based games and enjoyed this for the ease of entry and solid controls/art/usability, which is something most rogue likes seem to actively hate.

If I remember correctly the general consensus is to get The Pit-Gold and the Mindgames dlc.

I really like The Pit and find myself coming back to it despite its flaws.

I have all the expansions including the most recent Pilgrim dlc. The Pilgrim dlc makes everything a bit easier if you use the Zuul Shepherd character. For reference, I could only get to level 10 with the Marine on Easy, but I have been able to survive to level 20 with the Shepherd. Granted, some of that success was due to tripping more than one wormhole trap but the Shepherd is a very solid character and I was able to survive the denizens at that depth long enough to find the level 20 blue room and descend a few more levels after that.

The Pilgrim dlc's most salient change is the replacement of most 'easy' enemies (bats, scorpions, rats) are by M'kkose the myconids totally original fungus species that can merge and do some annoying poison at later levels, but are still easy to kill glass cannons. M'kkose slightly increase your general survivability because they will occasionally drop food that can be used as an ingredient in more nourishing recipes.

Also the Shepherd is a pretty drat powerful character. With a starting brains of 80 I can at least decipher 3 computer messages per run (and about half the time, decipher them fully). The Shepherd is very psionically capable and starts with the special Domination (War Mind) ability. Domination allows you to turn a Zuul enemy into an ally (if the Zuul enemy is a 'female' which I am guessing is a 50/50 chance). This ability alone dramatically increases survivability. In addition, the Shepherd's psionics start at Telekinesis 10/War Mind 50, meaning that within 5-7 levels you should be able to acquire the godly Paralyze technique and then get Manipulation so you can practice your Telekinesis up to 40 and get the ammo saving TK fist ability.

The Shepherd starts with the Paingiver melee dagger (Dura 15/Acc 30/Dam 7/Pen 40/Attacks 2), Shepherd's Habit armor (Armor 40/Dura 70), and the Snub Pistol (Dura 45/Acc 55/Dam 16/Pen 25/Attacks 1/Magazine 6).

The Snub Pistol is an amazing starting weapon and I have never had to worry about it breaking. It does require the uncommon High Explosive Rounds, but the Shepherd starts with a Foraging of 81 and in my experience most ammo crates will cough up a package of common ammo and High Explosive Rounds.

Ammo management is, as always, an issue though. This is compounded because while the starting melee weapon, the Paingiver, is very effective,it has very limited durability. When it breaks you have to rely on your starting might of 25 which is not a good situation to be in.

As if that wasn't enough, the Shepherd has three actions per round. Plenty of room for maneuverability.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jul 9, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

doctorfrog posted:

Donate to the guy and you get useful "cheats" that can help you master some of the higher level mechanics without having to worry about death right away; and also an interesting stress-test mode where the game plays itself at ffull speed as long as it can until it crashes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Farquar posted:

I've been playing a lot of Cardinal Quest 2 lately. Lots of things to unlock and lots of achievements to work towards.

I really like how low all the stats are. It makes gaining 1 defense or attack feel like something significant. It just seems easier to wrap my head around than games that add 24 to armor stat whenever you level or whatever. Almost has a boardgame like feel.

Board game. Yes, I can see it.

I do wonder, though. Melee seems to get it in the neck. It can be very difficult to get enough speed to catch up to things actively trying to get away from you. And HP recovery itself is very, very low. Not in terms of the amounts the orbs give, but from the orbs showing up at all.

Of course, I also wish I could be a summoner without the hassle of 'Blocked by EXP'. It seems odd to have EXP be a resource that needs managing. It seems weird that your class skills have to share space with 'free skills'. It seems very easy to end in a situation where you have zero options(From what little I've seen of rogue-likes, this is rarely the case).

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 9, 2014