Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Waltz and Jade the traitor can gently caress right off.

Medion's army is all about loyalty (to a fault) to your nation so they won't accept dirty traitors like Edmund or Jade :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Do the Dark Sword and Chaos Ring have any, uh, curse-based downsides? They sound like they ought to.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Glazius posted:

Do the Dark Sword and Chaos Ring have any, uh, curse-based downsides? They sound like they ought to.

Being cursed gives you a percent chance (probably 50, but I've never actually checked) to either fail at your attack/spell or take damage while you're doing it. The chaos ring negates this effect, but lowers your resistance to dark magic by 20% (not that dark magic is all that common) while taking up your accessory slot without conferring any other bonuses (the more important part).

Also, cursed items can only be removed by the church priest, if you're the type who swaps equipment around in the midst of battle.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Cursed weapons have better attack stats than mythril ones and most have unique special attacks. The downside is barring Julien item dupe shenanigans you get one chaos ring per army, oh, and giving up an item slot for it.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Ardeem posted:

Cursed weapons have better attack stats than mythril ones and most have unique special attacks. The downside is barring Julien item dupe shenanigans you get one chaos ring per army, oh, and giving up an item slot for it.

The Julian item dupe doesn't work in Scenario 2. I tried it with both my life rings and ended up having to redo the battle since I kinda wanted those rings.

Also, you can get another curse ring (or a first curse ring for the Synbios army) per army from the levelling dungeon in Scenario 3.

Oh, and does anyone else who has finished this scenario always forget the next battle? It always seemed like filler to me.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
Waltz and Bernard can get gone.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Does that include Robby still? If so, Robby and Waltz, and if not I don't care that much I guess.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Shitenshi posted:

And Domaric is apparently on Cenegenics or something. Why couldn't Benetram, Grantack, and Palsis be this tough?

Benetram was gonna fight, but Dantares said no. We got a look at Palsis's stats on the Fiale fight-I can't say why he's so foul.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Part 63: Double the forgettable bosses for half the price!

Medion and crew immediately head into Airo Village, hometown or General Jade, Garosh (RIP), and their older brother who doesn't even get a name (RIP).

This village houses the command center of the Headland army. We will be able to gather reliable information here, but we should try to conceal ourselves.

Let's try to learn the best way to get into the Republic unscathed.

Well, I heard that mud makes for good camoflauge.

Yeah, just blend in with the locals. They'll never suspect a thing.

Or we could dig up fabulous prizes. You should all know what's coming next.

Give me a break. Anyways, Penko joins at level 1 unpromoted just like Penn does, so we're kicking her to the curb until we can power level her in the final bonus dungeon.

Anyways, while the thread agreed to bench Waltz, there was a three-way tie between Jade, Robby, and Bernard for the second spot. I took executive action and benched Bernard, because beep boop machinery is cool.

Meanwhile, Hera is the only character in Medion's army who talks a drat bit of sense.

And we reward her properly.

:j: His wedding to her was right around the corner. Such promising futures... I won't be able to stop crying.

:v: But, I'll never forget the day the pigeon brought the news that I had lost them both in a battle with Synbios.

:j: Both his brothers, whom we all loved very much, were killed in battle.

Since this is Jade's hometown, the flavor chat of the most interest is naturally from his house. If we had saved Garosh in scenario 1 and recruited him in scenario 2, Jade would have been the (pathetic) boss, and all the dialogue here would be mourning his loss instead. However, let's get something straight: Nameless older brother and middle brother Garosh both joined a second-rate private army. On the other hand, Jade is the youngest of the three, rose to the rank of general, and is still married on top of that. Even if Jade is a turncoat, I think we saved the right son here.

:j: This flower is beautiful, don't you think? I'm glad you showed me, but it needs water.

We could be a dick about this, but the dialogue for saying no isn't that amusing and we need the item she gives in return anyway.

:j: For this beautiful flower, I shall present you with this old treasure map. This flower will always hold a place in my heart, Prince. This proves you were raised a gentleman. You showed me you polite affection by presenting me with a flower.

Whoever was editing this script slept on this line, since that sounds nothing like what a little girl would say. But I'm forgetting the important part.

OMGHSH Counter: 11

To finish up, we pick up a new shell for Robby, so he can finally get extended range. There's also a venom blade, a mithril claw, and a black ring in the shops' special deals, but those aren't items we really want. Finally, theres two mithrils of each type, a quick chicken, and 900 coins to grab in town.

And then we head out for the Republic.

Everyone stay on your guard.

The peace agreement between Governor Garvin of Saraband, Lord Dakka of Headland, and myself took too long to formulate to be obstructed now. However, I have realized from the actions of the Empire that it will stop at nothing to deny us our freedom.

You should reconsider that decision, Lord Cyos.

That voice, I'll never forget it! Emperor Domaric!

You're one to talk of betrayal! We, who are born to nobility, have a duty to serve the people, but you deprive them of everything. My new kingdom is free of all your evils.

And how is your control of authority? As a lord, you're a man of great power. I doubt you and Dakka are any different than I.

You know better, Domaric.

Our success during the civil war should have shown you that. However, sacrifices had to be made. We've turned away from an aristocratic life in elegant Destonia and kept to this sober, small town life for these past 20 years.

You claimed that land against my will, Dakka. It is now time for reclamation!

-groan- As long as you exist, so will the Empire. Cyos and I have made our decision, Domaric. We will not allow our lands to be annexed by Destonia again. Your ruin is at hand. You will die.

We must do what Emperor Domaric orders. Judging by the terrain and the position of the enemy, they are confident in their strength.

We must not allow the enemy to target Emperor Domaric directly.

Prince, keep the armies of Lord Dakka and Lord Cyos away from the emperor. If he is their target then their forces will be focused on him.

Fairly straightforward map. It would be dangerous if the first cluster of enemies used their elevation to their advantage (i.e. being able to descend on us, whereas we have limited ability to climb up against them), but they don't.

This is a funny dual-boss map. However, as a result, both Cyos and Dakka are pretty wimpy. Not much to this map other than getting the bonus dungeon that, I'll warn you now, I completely gently caress up.

The first order of business is to always knock down those mega loaders on top of the cliffs. Since Hazuki, Robby, and Jade all outrange them, this isn't too much trouble. They absolutely need to go since Zero still has awful defense and risks getting 95% of his HP knocked off if he gets hit by one.

There's a giant armor and a pair of Baersol soldiers waiting past the bottleneck, but they crumple pretty easily.

Zero is the only character who can hop on top of the cliffs without having to take a long, roundabout path, hence why getting rid of the enemy archers is so important.

Hazuki's new mithril weapon comes with a critical that bestows instant death. It's hard to tell from the screenshots, but she summons a giant Destructo Disc shuriken that looks like it's straight out of Naruto and blasts the enemy with it.

I'm honestly surprised that this Tornado 4 didn't kill Zero in one hit, since he has negative resistance to wind.

Dakka wastes no time in jumping off his cliff and messing up some of Domaric's guards. However, he's using a mace, and Zero's got the dark sword. Bad times incoming for him.

Might as well give Domaric a defense boost, since if he somehow dies, it's back to the start.

Jade is a traitor, and he's a bad one at that. Being rank 0 in arrows really puts him far behind everyone else.

A hill giant comes down to smack Domaric, and surprisingly he wins the exchange. I like to think that if Benetram had been allowed to fight, he'd have been an amazing mage with Blaze, Freeze, and Spark 4.

Dakka finishes off a white knight, which is actually nice because it's just less AI turns for the game to cycle through before I get to do things.

Hera tests out her new kicks, and they're not very good.

That's more like it.

And Jade proves that he's really angry over his brothers. That's one boss down, with much more trouble than necessary. I could have smeared him in two turns with my mages, but I wanted to save my MP for Cyos. I don't know why, because after two spells, they would have had more than enough MP to smash Cyos in two spells also.

Domaric has defeated me... I left the Empire 20 years ago... and now it is... my time to die? Cyos... Cyos... Strike our enemies down. Avenge me!

Goodbye filler trash boss. You will be forgotten.

One of Robby's shell criticals involves firing a laser. This game really likes lasers for some reason.

Bonus dungeon time!

I send in Arthur, Campbell, and Hazuki, all of whom have 7 movement. There's a small but easy gimmick to this map.

See that door? See that blip on the ground?

The blip opens the door. Dungeon solved.

On the outside, two more enemies spawn. This is specifically to punish you for being stupid enough to send your entire army into the bonus dungeon.

This is where I screw up. The button is not a one-time press. You have to keep somebody on it, or the doors close. As soon as I move Arthur into the room with Campbell and Hazuki, the doors close, trapping them inside. :saddowns:

I manage to get Zero in there to unlock the doors three turns later, but it's too late. When he pops the doors back open, the thief instantly escapes, depriving me of a goddess tear and a god rapier. The first one is no big loss, but the second one would have been +7 ATT for Medion. Oh well, it's not a big enough deal that I'm going to restart the map for it.

All that's left is to tackle Cyos. He has two mega loaders, and when you get close, a hill giant and a high priest spawn.

The enemy has finally figured out where the true threat is, but it's too late for them.

With the Shiva Sword, Cyos gets Thunder Shock just like Wilmer did. It knocks 39 HP off of Uryudo's 40, which is not good.

The rank 3 criticals for rapiers is Centurion, which makes Medion split in two and stab the enemy hundreds of times. He only shows up on one side because my emulator is poop. It also instant kills, which is great.

Zero takes care of the extra hill giant, and then all that's left is to knock down Cyos.

But not before he crits Uryudo twice in a row.

The game is feeling really repetitive by now, what with Medion's Angels taking care of literally everything. And no, Hedoba did not just stop 1 short from killing Cyos. He's hard-coded to survive at 1 HP no matter what.

Why should I let you live, Cyos?

I am defeated... you can see that... Let's put the past aside...

What? You set a trap for me and plan my destruction, only to suffer a crushing defeat and now you plead for your life?

I want to return to Destonia, back to Imperial law. I promise to quietly spend my remaining years there.

So much for Cyos avenging Dakka.

It amuses me to see you squirm like a bug, Cyos. You had the emperor under your thumb, but now that your bid for victory has failed, you can only beg for mercy.

Silence, Fiderit! I am talking to the emperor, and I have a question to ask. Usually you have the Rainbloods with you, Domaric. Why would you not bring them to this battle?

The Rainbloods were not needed to overcome this ambush.

So the Rainblood assassins aren't with you? Why? Are they wiping out some other poor sacrifice elsewhere? Why wouldn't they be here? They would have killed me before I could've laid a finger on Emperor Domaric. Murdered me like a dog.

Dispose of Cyos, Medion.

We'll have none of that, Prince Medion... Do not reject the emperor's order. Do you not have unconditional loyalty to the Empire?

Don't let him get away, Medion! I will not permit this resistance. If you will not act, then... Campbell, dispose of Cyos.

Obey your emperor, Campbell! Since the prince hesitates, you will carry out the duty instead.

Campbell starts to step up, but Cyos runs away.

But not before he's knocked back into the cave by a mysterious force.

Okay, somebody remind me why we're here? No matter what we chose, Yasha is going to deus ex machina this poo poo anyway. The guy doesn't even say anything. loving scenario 2.

Before you can become a great leader, you must learn to act when necessary, Medion.

Yeah, like stabbing your rear end in a top hat dad.

To re-capture the Republic, I must always take the proper course of action, whether you agree or not. Cyos was lord of Swampland. There could be danger for us there, Fiderit.

Yes, Emperor. We will have to keep watch for any threats.

Time to go, Medion... -chuckles- Let's not waste any more time here... We head for Swampland Castle.

As we get closer to Aspia... in a delicate operation like this one, the Medion army will need to carry out its orders to the letter.

If the prince's army offers passive resistance to Emperor Domaric's plans... I understand we must follow orders, but what about the consequences?

Prince Medion, if you refuse to carry out his orders, the emperor will hold you back.

Prince, even if you don't agree with this invasion, I believe you must yield to your father and do as he says!

I understand, Sir Campbell. Simple, sometimes, I do not see what he sees.

Now, we can pass through this cavern to Swampland... Then we will have to get past the eastern mountains. Let's hurry, Prince Medion.

The Emperor was rescued, but Garvin and Arrawnt escaped. The Medion army pursued them, but were intercepted by Lord Cyos and Lord Dakka. Prince Medion was victorious, but resented Emperor Domaric's treatment of the defeated.

NEXT TIME: Will the filler ever end?

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I was going to say that Cyos and Dakka act noble but they're probably just as corrupt fuckfaces as Conrad was, but wow, those portraits. These guys really are fuckfaces.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Wow, this story basically makes you play as a spineless little worm. That's impressive.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

This is getting bushido as gently caress - which is to say "it doesn't matter if you serve under an rear end in a top hat king, as long as you serve" - but then you look over at Jade, having no qualms about selling out his fellow man to a despot in the name of petty revenge.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 7, 2014

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

quote:

god rapier. The first one is no big loss, but the second one would have been +7 ATT for Medion.

I think that Rapier also grants Thanatos.

EDIT: Yes, here. http://jumesyn.celestialdamnation.com/guide/weapons2.html

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 7, 2014

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
The Republic might be run by a bunch of greedy backstabbers, but man, listening to Domerik talk and they're still a step up.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
It really is disappointing when Medion is saving your rear end all the time in Scenario 1 and you think he might turn on you at anytime since he is an imperial but he's not, making him come off at least, as a cool anti-hero deuteragonist type if only because he's fighting on the side of the bad guys. Still when his story is cookie cutter "But thou most!" bullshit, it's disappointing especially coming high off Synbios, who's your typical JRPG hero archetype with a by the numbers save the world plot and never got dull or cliched.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Ardeem posted:

The Republic might be run by a bunch of greedy backstabbers, but man, listening to Domerik talk and they're still a step up.

One of the things that frustrates me about Shining Force 3 upon playing it again is just how much more interesting everything outside of the main plot is compared to everything inside of it. The relationships between Benetram and Edmund or Conrad and Fafhard or Franz and Spiriel or Domaric and Cyos all seem like they're stories worth telling, but we only get glimpses of it as one person or the other bites it shortly after meeting Synbios or Medion. It's the first and last time Shining Force ever had an involved plot, and they dropped the ball pretty badly. :argh:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Kind of tremendously hypocritical there, Medion. You're willing to strike what might be a killing blow but then you cheap out when it doesn't work?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Part 64: They're going to start laying it on thick

Your husband decided his own fate when he defected from the Empire.

Your father is dead my children. His murderer stands before us!

Look at the faces of these children! Have you no compassion for the families you render fatherless with every life you take on the battlefield? You're a monster who kills without hesitation!

I give no thought to those who betray the Empire! Their lives are forfeit regardless of whether they are a father or a husband!

Of course! Those who do not yield allegiance cause civil unrest.

Yes, all rebellions that oppose Destonia must be quashed in order to maintain peace within the Empire.

Oh come on. Not you too, Grantack!

My policy is necessary. Swampland's rebellion started a useless war that ultimately accomplished nothing.

This war wouldn't be happening if Domaric weren't so hellbent on reclaiming Aspia. Domaric's lack of self-awareness is pretty staggering at this point.

So inexperienced. Medion, once you have gained authority and rule over a country, you will come to understand my policies.

What the gently caress? Medion's the third son. He's not getting a drat country! Also, even if we try to suck up to Domaric and answer yes, we're given nearly the same answer:

You claim to agree, but in your eyes I can see your true feelings. To forgive people who revolt against authority... is to negate authority itself.

:psyduck:

Okay, back to our normal script.

All that is left now is to put these vestigial nobles to death to serve as an example of the consequences to those who would consider opposing Destonia's might.

Your pathetic pleas for mercy only make your deaths more dishonourable. Emperor Domaric has made his decree!

To take the lives of my dear innocent children, Jason and Romaterra, you are a brute Domaric! A savage!

Ilia and her kids bolt out of the room.

Supposedly Medion is saying something here, but it's equally possible that he's stunned silent at the realization that his father is going to execute a pair of children just because he can.

That goes without saying, Campbell.

Then it is decided, the children will be executed as well.

My lord, Prince Medion's objections may be sound. The execution of these nobles will almost certainly cause further opposition to the Empire.

Explain, Fiderit.

By executing the nobility, we risk enraging the people of this land even more. We could make martyrs out of them.

...wait a second, that might not have been the best answer.

The death penalty will stand. I don't wish to hear any more demands! I have already postponed the execution against my better judgement.

On behalf of Prince Medion and I, we thank you for being so generous, Emperor Domaric.

There have been rumours in the government district of Swampland that Aspia is going to be invaded. If this is due to my immature son, Arrawnt, we can't stay here for long anyway.

Then make preparations, Medion, to traverse the marsh. We can go through the volcano. That will take us to Aspia.

So just to recap: Domaric is executing a pair of children because he personally hates their already-dead father and he's afraid other people will think his dick is small. He's gone from merely power-hungry to full on cartoon villain. Jesus christ, even when this game goes back to mirroring the good parts Synbios' half, scenario 2 manages to gently caress everything up.

:v: I don't care about that. -sniff- If daddy comes home, we can all be together. I... I don't wanna die.

Basically, the beginning of this chapter is holding nothing back in telling us that we're supporting the villain. And we have no choice but to go along with it because Medion has a backbone made of jelly and will do anything anyone tells him to.

At this point, people in Medion's army start to grumble about Domaric's bullshit. Not that anyone does anything about it.

Not even Zero, who would be completely justified in leaving right now, considering he's on loan from Synbios.

In fact, it just dawned on me that Zero committed treason alongside Jade in the last two fights. Zero doesn't even get a crappy plot excuse like Jade does. :psyduck:

There's an exit in the castle, and not much to do in town anyway. In town I picked up a few mithrils, a new lance for Campbell, and yet another mithril axe for Rock. Rock currently has my highest attack power at 77. Zero is second with 70. God drat.

I'm more concerned about the violent worms, Uryudo. Everyone in town was talking about them. I hate worms! They're gross!

Poisonous worms are known to inhabit the marsh of Swampland. My primary concern is that we may have to deal with a queen worm as well.

You must be Priestess Basanda of Bulzome.

Ah, so the Medion army has not forgotten me! I am honoured! Yes, I am one of the four high priests. From what Dessheren has told me, there is much you have to answer for.

It is you who has to answer to us, priestess!

Since the Synbios army has taken something precious from me, I shall take something of great value from them!

Synbios killed her husband, so she's going to kill his... sort of friend who he may or may not be manipulating for his own ends? Or maybe she means Algernon. Yeah, that makes a lot more sense, though that would mean this upcoming fight makes no sense at all.

If you can hold out, Prince Medion, you may even get to see dear Dessheren again. HA HA HA! Ta-ta!

So the son of Lord Conrad has reached Aspia! Prince Arrawnt may be battling him as we speak!

Once Aspia returns to the hands of the Empire, all of Aspinia will be easily annexed. Medion, we must hurry to Aspia and reclaim it from Arrawnt!

The map is as simple as it can be. The catch is that it's mostly marsh, so only Jade and Hazuki are going to have an easy time moving around.

Several new enemies. Hell snipers are of the highest concern since not only do they have the most attack, but they also have long range and can take advantage of our poor mobility.

They also look weird as hell.

The map is really just trudging through heavy terrain in narrow passages, trying to wipe out enemies as quickly as possible. Domaric will always keep moving forward, so we can't take our time on this one. Otherwise, it's just another filler fight with not much to say about it.

Somewhere in the chaos, Campbell gets nailed by two snipers in the same turn, and it's lethal.

Since having two aggressive snipers near each other is no good, it's time to do some gambling!

:toot:

This is from a critical hit and I'm realizing that Syntesis has better defenses than Campbell.

As I said, Domaric's AI runs ahead and more or less dictates the pace of the fight.

I have to run into some pretty aggressive positions to keep Domaric from getting dogpiled, and Arthur gets killed as a result.

Domaric gets nailed by a harpy critical anyway and gets confused as a result. It would have been hilarious and still fitting if Domaric had turned to kill Medion as a result.

I do kind of like the image of Domaric having a giant question mark attached to his crown, though.

God dammit, if only.

Syntesis and Hedoba take out the weaker of the two bosses.

And then Rogan jumps in on the other boss, offering entirely unneeded help. He does something like 50 damage over two turns, kind of ruining the whole “Medion's Angels tear every boss apart limb from limb” thing I'm running with.

The queen worm hits back with acid breath, and it's not too pretty. Thouugh I believe Syntesis, Hedoba, and Hazuki all have better defense than Rogan anyway.

At least Hedoba does.

There's also a missing screenshot of Hazuki attacking for 19 damage. With some clever math, Hedoba could have easily used Wendigo instead of Freeze on her last turn, meaning that I could indeed have killed the queen worm in two turns, even though Syntesis had run out of mana.

Because Synbios was such a nice guy who didn't kill the baby dragon in scenario 1.

The dragon will destroy you! You will not make it out of the volcano. Even if... by some chance you do... Aspia will have strengthened its defenses by then. Medion... Domaric... You will be stopped soon enough! Gwaah!

There's no time for preparations! We must get to Aspia!

Prince Arrawnt and the Bulzome forces have slowed our progress a great deal.

If our goal is Aspia then the encounters to come will be much more difficult.

Very true, Grantack. It would be unwise to rush in against a prepared enemy.

The emperor has given you a choice, Prince Medion. If you feel it necessary,we can return to Swampland to prepare before continuing on to Aspia.

Actually, no we can't. We have to move on to the next fight and egress in order to go back to town.

So Medion, for someone who has never supported war... That cave leads to the destiny of Aspia and Destonia. There is, and never has been, any turning back. If you don't support this invasion, Prince Medion, now is the time to let your feelings be known.

At least this time the game doesn't pretend to let us have the option of picking

NEXT TIME: Baby dragon!

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Obligatory 'CK2 does similar, if not worse' reference.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Jesus gently caress this is getting dark. Would be great to see Medion become the calculating anti-hero he was in Scenario 1, attempt assassination, and then Domaric decides for shits and giggles to force him to kill the traitorous Arrawnt as punishment since they are still brothers, and then when Synbios beats him to it, puts his friend's head on the chopping block to make it even worse. Just anything to make this storyline anything but one sided grimdark.

That swamp reminded me of the Prism Flowers in SF 2 though. That's got to count for something positive right!

:negative:

...right?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I'm seriously amused by your entire army going "Wow this is pretty hosed up and wrong" and the player getting repeated chances to say "Hey this is pretty hosed up and wrong" but the game But Thou Musting you harder than any game I've ever seen, especially since Domaric is literally 100% dependent on your army to do anything at this point. Medion could drown Domaric and Fiderit in the swamp and I don't think anyone in his army would raise an eyebrow.

I guess it's somewhat understandable that the regular Imperial soldiers in your army go along with this stuff albeit uneasily, but the neutral people(Hedoba, David, Hazuki) and the actual Aspian guys(Zero, Jade) going along with the actual execution of children without going "welp i'm out" is, well...

Kanos fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 8, 2014

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

They all know that Domaric has a superpowered Deus Ex Plotninja that will end them if they so much as blink. Fear is a pretty good motivator!

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Kanos posted:

I guess it's somewhat understandable that the regular Imperial soldiers in your army go along with this stuff albeit uneasily, but the neutral people(Hedoba, David, Hazuki) and the actual Aspian guys(Zero, Jade) going along with the actual execution of children without going "welp i'm out" is, well...

Just think, at the same time Shining Force 3 was in development, Baldur's Gate was too! One of the games that pioneered party members with moral standards, who would say "welp, I'm out" if they disagreed strongly enough.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

KataraniSword posted:

They all know that Domaric has a superpowered Deus Ex Plotninja that will end them if they so much as blink. Fear is a pretty good motivator!

Remember, the reason Hazuki joined in the first place is get help to hunt down Yasha, which would actually make for even better reason for her to turn on Domaric.

All the others I can forgive, but Zero still being here with barely a peep of protest is completely inexcusable by this point.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
What the hell is up with Grantack fellating Domaric on a regular basis anyway? I can sort of understand Campbell being a noble knight loyal to the emperor, but we know jack and all poo poo about Grantack besides that he's a strategist. Campbell could fill in for him like Dantares in Sc 1 after Benetram bailed in Chapter 4, and nobody would notice.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is Domaric still killable on the battlefield or will the monsters not strike a killing blow on ONE OF THEIR OWN?!

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Shitenshi posted:

What the hell is up with Grantack fellating Domaric on a regular basis anyway? I can sort of understand Campbell being a noble knight loyal to the emperor, but we know jack and all poo poo about Grantack besides that he's a strategist. Campbell could fill in for him like Dantares in Sc 1 after Benetram bailed in Chapter 4, and nobody would notice.

As Katarani said earlier, it's probably a fear thing. Domaric has both a ninja that can appear at any time and kill anyone he wishes, and an assassination squad that absolutely slaughtered two of the High Priests without taking damage themselves at his command. I'd probably not want to anger that man too if I were just an old dragonman.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Hoss Corncave posted:

As Katarani said earlier, it's probably a fear thing. Domaric has both a ninja that can appear at any time and kill anyone he wishes, and an assassination squad that absolutely slaughtered two of the High Priests without taking damage themselves at his command. I'd probably not want to anger that man too if I were just an old dragonman.

Yeah. While some of our neutral or turncoat recruits have no reason to worry about - or are actively encouraged by, as inthesto noted with Hazuki - drawing attention to themselves, our original stable of imperial grunts still has no reason to get in the way of the invincible plot ninja or the invincible superguards.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Part 65: It's not like the alternate boss is much harder

The dragon is shaking with rage. He thinks you came here to kill him. We may have dropped a few hints to that effect. Neither the Bulzome Sect nor Prince Arrawnt want you to pass through this cave. If you try to force your way through, you will die. Whether you defeat the dragon or not, you will sink into the magma!

I see. How troublesome.

The volcano seems to be becoming less stable. There's a possibility that the terrain with separate our forces.

How do you intend to handle this, Medion?

This shall not even be a challenge for the prince, Emperor. Not allowing one's troops to be divided is one of the most basic leadership principles. There is no need to be concerned about the prince's abilities.

At this point the game isn't even pretending that Medion has agency anymore. At least Synbios would have had a fake text box.

How reliable, eh Fiderit? I'm counting on you, Medion. Do not betray my confidence!

So this map has a dumb gimmick. As implied in the first few screenshots, there's several platforms that lower and raise every turn. They act as elevators, as everyone except Zero can't hop the height difference. If you're not paying attention, it can isolate characters, which can bite you in the rear end. However, once you understand what's going on, it merely slows you down as you have to load and unload characters off of an elevator.

Our only new enemy for the map. Slightly weaker than the archers, and it's got a sword so it's ripe for picking off with Campbell and Arthur.

The starting area is annoying, as everyone except Zero has to walk around and take the stairs down. Remember, changing elevation also using up movement, so going down those stars takes a good two or three turns. This fight takes time for no good reason.

This indented space is the first elevator platform. It only contains eight spaces while our army has twelve characters. Zero can bypass it, but it still takes more than one spin to get past it. Basically what I'm saying is that this fight is annoying.

Going down.

Right after the first elevator, the team has to climb up another set of stairs and take the second elevator. This one is a trap though; if you load people onto it while it's up, the next turn it'll sink so low that they can't get out of it.

The one upside to this map is that the AI has absolutely no idea how to handle the moving platforms. This means Benetram and company just watch the elevators like idiots and run zero risk of stealing experience or getting killed.

Once you get halfway through the map, a special guest shows up. Since we spared the baby dragon in scenario 1, it shows up against here. If Synbios had killed it, a tougher mini-boss named the ark dragon would show up, and knock down a giant boulder in the process. Either way, they bring a wyvern along in the process.

The baby dragon and wyvern don't have anything special for stats, though they pack fire breath which can be trouble for Rock. In the end, though, it still flies and Medion has an overabundance of archers.

Screen capture did a poor job of it, but this is the baby dragon's fire breath knocking out half of Rock's HP in one shot.

And this is Hazuki knocking out a third of the dragon's hit points with a single critical, along with blinding it which removes all of its threat.

Almost all of its threat.

There's also a harpy hiding somewhere in the back, and it confused a white knight into killing another white knight. This is the most interesting thing that happened all fight.

That cave in the back becomes blocked off by a boulder if the ark dragon jumps into the fight. The fact that it stays open is literally the only reason we spared the baby dragon when Synbios ran into it in scenario 1.

One of the more amusing possibilities for cheese. Magic and arrows can fire over walls without a problem, and Syntesis and Hedoba blast that group of enemies apart with no problem.

Hazuki runs an important errand before we wrap up the fight.

Might as well, right?

Have I mentioned that this fight is annoying yet? Because it is.

The item that Hazuki is picking up that the screenshot missed is a mace that nobody is going to use because Rock already uses axes. The dragon rod is a decent weapon for Syntesis for a fight or two, but she's going to get an upgrade eventually too.

Also, Hedoba picked up Zephyrus 2. It does a lot of damage. I'm looking forward to Wendigo 2 when it rolls around.

That was indeed a splendid battle, my son.

They are dangerous indeed. Destonia may be in greater danger than we thought.

Remember, the proper response is to say yes.

When you return to the Empire, do you intend to leave Aspia occupied by Arrawnt? Whether we return home or continue on, enemies surely lie in wait. Our first priority is to defeat them.

What wonderful words from Emperor “literally everyone who does not submit to me is my enemy” Domaric.

NEXT TIME: Bulzome beatdown, round 2!

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

King Benetram seems to have snuck into the narritive just to remind us how much better he was as an advisor. Also woo, synch point.

I remember this game having a plot other than Emperor Dad bossing Medion around because he has no spine, I hope we get there soon.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I suppose the saving grace of this whole affair is that the Bulzome monks are crap at vulcanology. Sink into the lava my rear end.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I remember being a depressed 8th grader 15 years ago that was so depressed that Sc2 and Sc3 would never make it here, and that I didn't know Japanese.

Goddamn that was a blessing in disguise.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Part 66: I forgot what part this was

I knew we would encounter Bulzome monks again.

By Elbesem! These monks will not stand in our way!

Prince Medion, prepare for combat.

Wait...

High Priestess Dessheren has summoned you to Aspia. The Synbios army must be dealt with immediately.

Yes, and you are required. That is why you have been summoned.

Yasha! I need a report!

Hopefully the ninja Yasha can tell us what has happened with the Synbios army in Aspia.

I am here, Emperor...

Yes, what is the situation with the Synbios army and Prince Arrawnt's garrison in Aspia?

Yes, the rest of this scenario takes place after scenario 1 is done.

...and the Titan.

Arrawnt always was too bold for his own good, but the Titan is an invincible ancient warrior! How could it have been defeated?!

Notice how Domaric doesn't even flinch upon hearing that his son is dead.

A brilliant strategy by a man named Palsis. The Synbios army was divided in two. One battalion stalled at the castle while the other opened the dam. They used the force of the water to destroy the Titan.

Who is this Palsis?

A scholar of incredible ability. He, Conrad, and Benetram consorted to found the Republic. Although in recent years I've heard he has been living on the frontier.

Hahaha, holy poo poo Domaric can't even remember the leaders of the rebellion who beat him twenty years ago. The one he still holds a grudge over. This is just getting too stupid, and I'm really glad that Domaric is not the primary antagonist at the end of the game.

Prince Arrawnt kidnapped Conrad's grandchild, Algernon, and took him hostage. Being such a close friend to Lord Conrad may have fueled his determination as well.

What about Garvin?

Garvin is in Storich. He's preparing a plan and hoping for a miracle.

After losing Saraband, he may turn to Aspia in desperation. Medion, we must head to Storich now! There is much to discuss.

Emperor Domaric will probably command us to battle the Synbios army to avenge Prince Arrawnt. What will we do, Prince Medion?

Your loyalty is torn between Synbios and your father, but a decision will have to be made.

I know it has been painful losing your elder half-brother, and I hope I'm not out of line in saying Arrawnt took responsibility for his fate when he tried to invade Aspia. He was also in league with the Bulzome Sect who caused much upheaval on this continent. I wonder if peace can be restored to this land once more.

Harmony certainly will not be achieved easily, Prince Medion. Emperor Domaric has his own agenda as well.

I wonder... What else is to come? Arrawnt conspired with Garvin and he helped abduct the emperor!

If Arrawnt was my son, I would've disinherited him!

It's a surprise Domaric keeps any of his family at all, really.

Let us not forget the acts of the father! Emperor Domaric had to have known all along of his son's treachery.

You are right. It is possible Domaric allowed Prince Arrawnt's abduction plot.

That would be an ideal pretense for Domaric to invade the Republic.

I don't understand. Why would he do that?

Yeah, I would've thought the Rainbloods would come to his rescue! By Elbesem they're scary!

The Rainbloods only act under the emperor's order, or perhaps they did. Domaric is not stupid. He likely used the abduction to his advantage.

Normally I'd go with but the proper answer is yes.

If your suspicion is true, the death of Prince Arrawnt was Emperor Domaric's responsibility.

No matter how suspicious it may be, it is only conjecture at this point, Campbell. However, I believe everyone has their doubts about the emperor. If you want the truth, you will have to ask your father, Prince Medion.

Grantack... What is your opinion of Emperor Domaric?

If this was all a plan to invade the Republic, I think we have a moral responsibility. We shouldn't aid an invasion, Prince Medion.

I'm glad you agree. In any case, we must be off to Storich's west district where the emperor awaits. We will get to the bottom of this, Prince.

Before we check out Storich, let's check in with one important little guy.

I hope I will not have to fight them, Prince Medion. Please don't force me to.

Last I checked, Zero was on loan, not an actual defector. Zero could just flap away if he wanted to. Even inform Aspia of the incoming invasion.

God, scenario 2 is stupid.

Anyways, now we're in Storich, the final town of scenario 2. If you'll recall, Synbios visited the place in scenario 1, chapter 4. It was a small place, but that's because half the city was blocked off. Now Medion has free reign to pass through all of Storich. Any treasures Synbios looted is gone, but all the good stuff is in the new part of the city anyway.

I vow to help you, Prince Medion. I have the ability to charm all manner of wild beasts. Please allow me to join your force! I can only tame a beast if I defeat it in battle. I'm able to hold charms on 3 beasts at once, which I will put under your command.

In usual Shining Force endgame style, the last few characters are just random throwaways. Pappets' special ability is pretty useful, though.

This ramen is so good, I devour four helpings at once. Wanna try some?

And to think Irene walked not too far away from this guy not too long ago.

Some nice accessories in the deals section. The ninja equipment obviously goes on Hazuki, but I forgot who got the tiara because I capped this a month ago and am only now getting around to writing this up.

Hey, it's the switching point crew again! Nice to see them alive.

OMGHSH Counter: 13

Anyways, there's a lot of meandering around that I cut out, because expanded Storich is huge and I get lost a lot. Among the treasures in here are a mitra ankh (which will give Uryudo access to Thanatos), a goddess tear, a potion, a brave apple, a ruins map, and far more mithrils than I could possibly need. The plot progresses whenever you stumble into some room in some building that happens to have Emperor rear end in a top hat Dad Domaric in it.

We must discover what Garvin is planning. That is why I am asking you, Medion, to accompany me to Aspia.

So THAT is why you were waiting for us.

You know better than to interrupt Emperor Domaric! Emperor, please continue.

Don't be rude, Fiderit. Let them speak! I want to hear their concerns.

So, Domaric, you want to go to the capital. You want the Medion army to act as your guard. Am I correct? Well, the Medion army is the only Imperial army in the area. So, we shall join you on your journey to the Republic.

That's the right answer peasant. You should be honoured to be protecting the emperor.

Fiderit, quiet down and let Grantack speak!

The journey ahead will require the Medion army to engage in many battles. I want to know why we must go to the capital.

Mainly, Grantack, we need to see how the campaign is going. The occupation of Aspia is in danger as many Imperial soldiers have been lost.

We must go there, Grantack. We must reclaim our territory. The Medion army is strong enough to help me claim the land which belongs to me.

So that is why you need our army...

Prince Medion despises needless battles. I hope the emperor doesn't get upset with his refusal.

I have another question for you my son. Will you attack Aspia? Will you battle those who killed Arrawnt?

Um, he literally just asked that question, but okay go ahead and be surprised.

The Synbios army engaged Arrawnt in battle on the bridge in front of the castle. He had an ingenious plan to form two attack battalions, but they ultimately defeated his army. I know Arrawnt wasn't the best brother to you, but he was killed like a coward by Synbios. Surely you want to avenge him.

Actually, uh...

Really, the way he died was so embarrassing, Domaric is probably better off just not bringing it up.

I know you oppose Garvin, my son. And I know you will avenge Arrawnt for the Empire.

We have good reason. Prince Medion, it is our responsibility as Destonians to avenge our relatives. You have no choice in the matter.

There is no cause for concern, Fiderit. Prince Medion does not hide his trepidation, but he is the one man, more than anyone else in the Empire, that we can count on!

Jesus, why does the game even pretend we have a choice?

I knew you would make the right decision my son. Now we need information on Garvin. Yasha! Yasha, appear before me!

Yasha... here...

I need you to locate Garvin.

You wish to know where Governor Garvin is my lord? Garvin is in the ruins beneath Storich. He has something down there he plans to use in his march on Aspia.

Medion, I want you to go to these ruins. I know the Synbios army could defeat him if they arrived there early, but I want to see YOU destroy Garvin!

I believe you should leave immediately. It would be best to arrive as early as possible to intercept Garvin.

I understand you want us to defeat Garvin, but I don't care for your plan to take Aspia. The people will suffer.

We must follow orders, Campbell. I guess that means we must leave now if we are to have the chance to stop Garvin.

And now we're free to go run into the next battle. However, there's a few choice words to catch before we do so.

You don't say?

You must defeat Governor Garvin without fail. You must stop him! You must complete the final part of Arrawnt's plan, Medion.

Funny, considering the final part of Arrawnt's plan was to actually assassinate both Domaric and Mageron. It's like the entire plot of this disc is contingent on everyone being an idiot who doesn't remember what was said five minutes ago.

There's also a blacksmith in Storich. We're a bit short on cash now, but we snag a mithril shell for Robby because he needs it the most. Just about everyone else has a mithril weapon or an equivalent by now.

Next, we go underground to Storich's mining tunnel or something.

We've figured out the controls for the surface opening...

Then the mighty Juggernaut will soon see the surface!

We found the opening control, but it is rusted badly. We have all available men down there working it loose.

It hasn't been used since the ancient age...

Slowly but surely it is loosening.

Leave it to the Bulzome soldiers. We have another task.

It's the Medion army, isn't it?

Gracia's time has finally come, and those pests Medion and Synbios will meet their end here.

:hist101: I will inform General Garvin that the ancient tank will soon have an open path to the surface.

Yes, they're on their way here without a doubt. Tch, speak of the devil... The Medion army has arrived! After Prince Arrawnt was defeated by Synbios, I mustn't allow the Medion army to hamper Garvin.

The passage to the surface should be open shortly, but we must deal with the Medion army.

Medion army! I won't allow you to interfere! The Juggernaut will bring Aspia to its knees!

On the honour of the high priests of Bulzome, I'm counting on you High Priestess Dessheren.

Prince Arrawnt and Braff... We lost them because of Medion and Synbios. Don't be foolish, Medion. This weapon was created by the ancient civilization. You have no hope of standing against us while we possess its power. King Benetram, the one person who knew of the Juggernaut's existence, might have predicted we would use it for an attack, but... He knows it will be unstoppable when it reaches the surface. When those ramparts are assaulted by this weapon, they will crumble! Even if the Juggernaut hasn't been fully restored, our advance can't be stopped!Dessheren, you must hold them until the passage opens.

If that tank were to reach the surface, we would have no way of stopping it.

This map is little more than a giant clusterfuck of enemies.

Minotaurs are beefy, and Dessheren has returned with her full stats. Thanks to the wonky terrain, Dessheren is actually a somewhat threatening boss this time around.

There's also some doors back here. Bonus dungeon time!

Robby can do a little bit of work sniping from this high ground that the force starts on.

Hazuki picks up a mithril lance that is immediately going to Arthur due to its medium magic scaling. Arthur's old lance then gets passed down to Campbell who finally gets a much deserved attack boost.

The bulk of the enemy doesn't move until you go forward, which means...

Time to chase after them! Since this is the final bonus dungeon, there's some really nice stuff in there to grab.

This also spawns, as if it were to deter us from sending everyone but Medion in.

The room to the left has a set of stairs that only Zero can climb with a useless dark matter at the top. Everything else is located on that little network of bridges in the top-right, where Campbell, Hazuki, and Arthur will be chasing the thieves around.

+2 MOV! :toot:

This one loots nothing and is just there to bleed experience and money.

And a new weapon for Syntesis. She gets it over Hedoba because Hedoba already has two summons and Syntesis has dark affinity.

With that taken care of, it's time to beat down Dessheren.

All that's left is to push up the middle through wimpy enemies.

And get careless and lose a magic support rank. :smith:

Hmm, that wasn't as exciting as I was hoping. Stupid shared damage.

This is threatening enough that I actually have to bring in fighters to wail on Dessheren along with my mages.

Hell Dragon is nothing exciting. It has the exact same animation as Tiamat, just with different colors.

It takes quite a bit of firepower to bring her down, and the terrain makes it difficult to line up for spreading damage on her summons.

But we get there quickly enough. I believe it only took two or three turns of full beatings.

Yeah um. We don't really need these.

The passage from the ruins has opened! We're too late!

At least I kept my promise to Garvin! Ha ha!

That voice... You are...

I do not want to hurt anyone. I'm from the north, but I'm not part of the Bulzome Sect.

Not part of the Bulzome Sect? But the power you just displayed, it appeared to be dark power...

Please don't say that!

Your power's aura feels just like... the Vandal, Galm.

No! No!!!

Don't upset her... Jane is a good person... Please stop crying Jane. It will be all right.

Sister... my sister Dessheren...

It appears the Bulzome followers aren't the only ones who can use dark power. Jane's abilities are troubling, but our priority is the ancient tank.

So, you will let us go. Thank you. Sister Dessheren, You'll feel better soon. Just hold on...

I... can sympathize with her. Such a troubled girl.

What do you mean?

I saw a deep sorrow in her eyes. She's suffering a fate from which she can't escape. That's what I saw in her.

Now is not the time to get sentimental, Syntesis. We have an important task at hand!

A tank... Governor Garvin's...

Now that the tank has departed, if we don't stop it, all of Aspia will be thrown into chaos. We mustn't permit the emperor's ambitions!

You mean we're going to try to stop it? How do you stop something so huge?

The idea of a lifetime has just sprung to my mind!

The idea of a lifetime... What is it?

In order for this idea to succeed, we will need the cooperation of the entire Medion army. Let's return to headquarters and discuss our strategy.

NEXT TIME: Redemption Round! David comes pre-disqualified

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
Welcome back!

Now, excuse me while I bury my copies of scenario 2 and scenario 3, because this dialogue will make my brain explode.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There's a plot twist that hasn't happened yet that I could have sworn happened just after Domeric forced his way into the party and it's just massively confusing me, because I remember it being Medions motivation for putting up with all the poo poo getting heaped on him. :iiam:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

If it hasn't happened, it's probably coming. Because I distinctly remember the issue. Domaric's holding someone hostage.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh.

I understand that familial and political obligations override personal opinions and, given Domaric's tendency to not give a gently caress about the deaths of his children, Medion is basically volunteering for the chopping block if he actually refuses his father for reals, but seriously? The game is just rubbing it in our faces that it doesn't care what we think.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Able to take down Bulzome priests, I don't think even the Rainbloods and his ninja/secret personal sex slave, because seriously Yasha would have probably killed Domaric if he didn't have something on him too, would be able to stop Medion's army at this point. Curious if Hell Dragon ever becomes availble.

Get rid of Robbie, take in Pappets.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Lotish posted:

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh.

I understand that familial and political obligations override personal opinions and, given Domaric's tendency to not give a gently caress about the deaths of his children, Medion is basically volunteering for the chopping block if he actually refuses his father for reals, but seriously? The game is just rubbing it in our faces that it doesn't care what we think.

Shining Force 3: Scenario 2: "But Thou Must" The Game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Bloodly posted:

If it hasn't happened, it's probably coming. Because I distinctly remember the issue. Domaric's holding someone hostage.

It happens after the next storyline battle.

• Locked thread