Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Thomas Brandt - Cabin Main Room

Thomas snaps back, "Yeah, and I don't give a poo poo! I know what I saw, man!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
Nick Currier

Nick stares at Thomas, dumbfounded. "A what now? No, it had to have been a bear, not something out of some prop book that the professor probably left for us. There's just no way... No. You're probably trying to rationalize it, make sense of what happened." God gently caress tabernac!" he exclaims suddenly, kicking the pile of furniture. He takes a few deep breaths, and then shudder. "Can't say I was too find of the man, but to die like that? This is just... bad." Nick lights a cigarette and takes a long drag before speaking again. "We ought to move his body. Cover it or something. I don't like the idea of just leaving out there for the bear or wolves or whatever else."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stanley Zubizaretta - Cabin Main Room

Some air hangs in the room as Nick finishes talking. Stanley looks him dead in the eye.

"I ain't going out there."

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Thomas nods at Stanley, "What he said. Not until it stops raining and the sun comes out!" Thomas didn't feel like arguing with Nick on the Bear vs. Wendigo debate. Debates like that rarely go anywhere worthwhile.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
Nick Currier - Cabin Main room.

Nick meets Stanley's gaze, and nods once. "I don't blame you one bit. It makes sense to wait until morning."

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Mark Morcott

"Damnit, isn't there a phone in this cabin? Do any of you have a signal?" Mark's phone is already in his hand as he tries to get through to emergency services. If he can connect at all, they should be able to eventually find out where he called from and send help... hopefully.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Thomas double checks his phone to make sure there's no service. Nope, no bars. "Sorry, man. I remember having no bars when I came in earlier too. Rowsdower had one of those fancy satellite phones that work anyway, but...". Thomas trails off. Where did that thing go? "It's uh, probably either with Rowsdower or in a puddle."

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Cabin Main Room

Everything but the storm goes quiet for a while as the four men sit for a while. An hour passes, and the storm is still raging. Nothing can be seen outside through the pounding rain. A muffled thump is heard by the men, coming from the dark bedroom.

When nobody does things, the GM has to do things, and that's bad news for player characters

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stanley perks up at the sound. Regardless of how he tries to rationalize what just happened, it won't leave his head. He's jumpy.

He slowly begins to stand up, carefully unslinging the rifle. Bringing it into a low ready position, ready to snap up to the shoulder, he pushes the safety off. He doesn't say anything, just listens.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Thomas's eyes go wide and he darts towards the cabin's food preparation area in search of the sharpest knife he can find. While he's there, he'll look for some hot sauce as well. Thomas also racked his brain over where the box full of strange jars Rowsdower found went.

Searching the cabin's main room for a knife and some hot sauce. Also looking through the box of jars if it ended up in the main room. Don't have any points in search, so it defaults to perception-5, which is 7.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Nick Currier - Cabin Main room

Nick jumps at the sound, and he peers towards the room it came from. Seeing Stanley get out his rifle, Nick holds up a finger to tell him to wait, and then uncases his own guns. He loads both of them, and then places the shotgun carefully on the table, glancing at Mark and Thomas and nodding towards it. Stubbing out his cigarette in the coffee cup he had been using as an ashtray, Nick then picks up his Lee-Enfield, closes the bolt quietly, and moves up next to Stanley.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stanley looks at Nick and silently, shakily nods. He thinks about the few games of backyard airsoft he played, and all the movies he's seen with special forces troops or Americans clearing buildings in Iraq. What do you do when breaching a room?

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Thomas had never even touched a gun before. Although he was scared shitless, he realized that nothing good could come of him using one right now. He could break it or forget to the safety off or worse. He motioned towards the gun, shook his head, and made a 'shooting myself in the foot' gesture.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Mark Morcott

Unarmed and unnerved, Mark silently sits in the corner of the room as his friends prepare to confront the source of the noise. The past few hours had gone from nightmarish to surreal. This couldn't really be happening, could it? They were just supposed to film horror movies, not take part in a real one.

"Guys... could... could Rowdowser be part of another movie team? One deciding to scare the hell out of us for their own filming? That would explain it, right? All this poo poo that happened? Rowsdower isn't really dead, he was just prepared to fake his..."

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Cabin Main Room

A quick look around by Thomas reveals a variety of foodstuffs that might be spicy(canned chilli and such), but no actual hot sauce. The jars are sitting on the wood stove, where there were moved from the table. No knives, however are found.

chitoryu12, FireSight: Something is moving around in the other room. Whatever it is, it's very quiet. You can barely hear the sound of something scratching wood.

Also, there is 0 cell reception in the area.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

"poo poo.", Thomas thought, "If there's no hot sauce in here, where the hell am I gonna get molten lead?" Thomas was pretty sure 'molt Pb' in the journal stood for molten lead, although he was also aware of the possibility that 'Pb' could stand for peanut butter, for all he knew. He also hoped that the slash in 'hotsauce/molt Pb' represented an 'or' and not an 'and'. He moved to search through the jars.

Thomas is gonna look through the jars for anything that could be the following: hot sauce, chunks of lead, wendigo hair, orchre/ochre, human blood, and salt.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stanley takes stock of the situation. Two of them are armed, and hopefully one or two good shots will be enough to drop whatever beast is in there. But Thomas and Mark are way more vulnerable; even if they had the skills to take down a rabid bear, they don't have the equipment for it.

Stanley looks over at Nick and cocks his head toward the bedroom door in a "let's go" motion. He begins to very carefully and slowly creep toward it, staying low and keeping his rifle at the shoulder to be flipped up and aimed at a moment's notice. He figures that the best way to handle it is to make the first move, ambush the beast and overwhelm it before it can charge.

He's making this thing play by his rules.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Nick Currier

Nick nods slowly at Stanley and moves quietly towards the door, his rifle held low, ready to be brought to bear if it came to that. A detached part of him realized how ridiculous they must look, but he didn't have time to worry about that. As they approach the door, he strains his ears to hear what lies on the other side.

Per 12 to hear poo poo. Also sorry I took forever to post, I've been sick the last few days.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Cabin Main Room

Thomas's examination of the contents of the jars shows that one is indeed hot sauce, one is some sort of red dirt Thomas suspects may be orchre, one is a coppery-smelling red liquid that might be blood, and the fourth jar is just empty.

Nick and Stanley move to the doorway, ready to burst in with guns blazing at a bear that isn't a bear in a room with only two known entrances(both of which are too small for bears). Nothing can be heard from in the room.

Just as a reminder, everyone here has luck as a free advantage. It's refreshing the next page(along with a few CP for you all), so if you feel like doing something ballsy, now's the time. As an aside, being ballsy(brave, but not stupid) is something I highly encourage and reward.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Nick Currier

Nick meets Stanley's eyes, and then he moves towards the door. In one swift motion, he brings his rifle up and kicks open the door. He doesn't enter, but stands off to the right side of the opening, scanning the room for the source of the noise.

Per 12.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

As Nick kicks in the door with a loud bang, Stanley stands back and slightly to the left, rifle up at the shoulder and ready to let loose a .458 caliber bullet.

Per 10 to spot anything

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

No wendigo hair. Thomas rushs to find the nearest thing to use as a weapon that wasn't a gun. Maybe it left some hair outside? poo poo, what if there's more than one? Thomas elects not to run for it for now. That would just be a terrible idea. Instead, he finds something to hide behind.

Thomas is gonna look for an improvised weapon of some sort and then hide somewhere.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Cabin Main Room

Nick and Stanley see nothing out of the ordinary in the next room. Except for the bearskin rug having been moved aside to reveal an open trap door. Thomas grabs a heavy cast iron pan off of the wood stove, and then realizes there's nowhere to hide except under the table, right beside the door.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stanley is simultaneously relieved and terrified as the door opens. On one hand, there's no beast ready to bite his head off. On the other hand....something was just in there. And is probably underground.

He's had it. This fucker is going too far. Stanley is ready to bite its head off for scaring him and killing Rowsdower right in front of him. He's going to end it, and he's doing it on his terms. 300 grain terms.

"All right," Stanley says. "We need to go down there and get rid of it."

Is there a broomstick or similar long pole that can fit in the trap door handle nearby?

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 8, 2014

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

chitoryu12 posted:

Is there a broomstick or similar long pole that can fit in the trap door handle nearby?

It's less of a handle, and more of a hole to stick your hand into to pull the door up.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MohawkSatan posted:

It's less of a handle, and more of a hole to stick your hand into to pull the door up.

Is there anything hooked nearby that could let me pull the door without physically grabbing it?

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

chitoryu12 posted:

Is there anything hooked nearby that could let me pull the door without physically grabbing it?

I'm not sure what you're looking for here. The trap door is wide open. If you want to shut it, you could just kick it. Want to open it without using your hand? Anything you can fit in the (hand sized) hole will work

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MohawkSatan posted:

I'm not sure what you're looking for here. The trap door is wide open. If you want to shut it, you could just kick it. Want to open it without using your hand? Anything you can fit in the (hand sized) hole will work

Well, I totally misread that post.

"All right," Stanley says, turning to the rest of the group. "I need some duct tape."

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 8, 2014

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Thomas peeks his head out from under the table. "Duct tape? I'm pretty sure I have some in my bag. If you're gonna kill that thing, I think you're gonna need more than guns though. The book has a, um, process, but we need some of its hair first." Thomas goes over to where he dumped his backpack, fishes out his roll of duct tape, and hands it to Stanley.

Giving my duct tape to Stanley.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stanley takes the duct tape and begins looking through his vest.

"All right," he says. "This sounds like a lot of crazy bullshit, but let's assume you're right. That thing ain't going to let us get any hair while it's still breathing. No matter what it is, not a whole lot of creatures are going to want to stick around after feeling a forty-five-seventy round in them."

Pulling out his compact survival flashlight, he uses three layers of duct tape to secure the light to the magazine tube of his Marlin (looping the tape up and around the barrel). He leaves the activation button uncovered, so he can turn it on and off as long as he can reach the muzzle end of his rifle. He then flips open the pocket of his hunting vest and opens the cartridge wallet in it, leaving the ammo more easily accessible if need be, and pulls out 6 shells to insert into the buttstock loops on his rifle. Finally, he partially pulls the lever down to check the chamber for a loaded round before pulling it back up.

He turns to Nick. "You may want to use your shotgun down there. Enfields are neat and all, but we're in close quarters." He then looks at Thomas.

"You mentioned hot sauce and molten lead. Is that what that book says?"

Stanley currently has 4+1 rounds in his rifle, 6 rounds in his buttstock loops, and 4 rounds in his polymer cartridge wallet in his vest pocket. He still has 6 rounds in his duffle bag in the tent.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 8, 2014

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Thomas shrugs. " I...think? It's all written in shorthand. As far as I can tell, it says to trap it in circle made out of orchre or a combination of human blood and salt, no more than 3 yards radius, that you've scattered about a handful of its hair around. Let's see, um, it says to use blood for bait on that part. From there, I think you're suppose to cripple it, perhaps? It doesn't list any kind of special instructions for that part, so I assume shooting it will do. Then, you give it what the book calls 'fire in the belly', which it describes as hot sauce or molten Pb. I'm moderately sure Pb means lead, you know, because it's the chemical symbol and all."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"That....sounds like the craziest poo poo I've ever heard." He looks around at the rest of the guys. "But I don't know what else to do. At least you believe in it."

He takes a look at the jars. "I take it this is the stuff? That looks like blood, and that looks like that ochre earth, I guess. I'm not a.....soil scientist or geologist or whatever." He picks up the last full jar and sniffs it. "Whew, that's definitely hot sauce."

"Ummm, I know that you can melt lead over a campfire. Old soldiers hundreds of years ago used to do it all the time, and shooters nowadays reload their own ammo a lot. But all my rounds are jacketed at least partially, so I don't think they'll melt easily with all that copper on them. Maybe we could pull some of Nick's buckshot and melt it?"

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Nick Currier, Cabin Main Room

Nick looks at Thomas, slackjawed. This was crazy. They had come out here to film a horror movie, but it seemed like they were caught in one themselves. He sets down his Enfield and picks up his shotgun, and then roots around in his pack, pulling out his headlamp. At Stanley's comment about the lead, he pulls out a box f buckshot and places it on the table. There's 50 rounds there, A little over an ounce in each shell, so that's... a little over 3 pounds? Are we actually going to bother with all this voodoo bullshit? Maybe we should just go down there and kill the bear while we have it cornered."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stanley looks Nick square in the eye, his face as intensely serious as anyone can manage. "You didn't see what we saw, Nick," he says. "I've been trying to tell myself that I didn't see it, but I can't get that image and sound out of my head. If it's a bear, we shoot it. That's it. But if Thomas is right and my mind's not playing tricks on me, we're hosed if we don't follow that book."

Checking once more that the safety on his rifle is off, Stanley walks over to the trapdoor and shines his light down it.

What can he see aiming his light down the hole?

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Cabin Bedroom

Illuminated by Stanley's flashlight is a set of wooden stairs leading down into a dirt room, with wooden shelving covered in assorted cans and jars, the labels on which are long since faded. Not much else can be seen from above.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Thomas Brandt - Cabin Bedroom

Thomas peers over Stanley's shoulder into the basement. Lots of jars. Maybe there's some wendigo hair in there? There's probably also full blown wendigo in there. poo poo. He pipes up, "I'll, uh, go down there if you go down there."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stanley looks at Thomas and nods, trying not to let his growing panic and racing heartbeat show. "All right. Grab your lantern. When we get to the bottom of the stairs, plant it there so we can see the exit better."

Keeping the flashlight on and his rifle trained on the door, Stanley waits for Thomas to gather his equipment.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Nick Currier - Cabin Bedroom

Nick drops the matter. He still thinks that Stanley and Thomas are going way too far, but after all, they had actually seen Rowsdowser get killed, and if they wanted to justify it somehow, to block it out, then that was their business. Walking over to the trapdoor next to Stan, he peers down, his headlamp lit and his shotgun at the ready.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Mark Morcott

"Oh god. There is nothing there, right?"

The slim photographer finally stands up in the corner, the lack of any sign of a monster finally breaking him free from the panic he had been in. "Just... a trapdoor? Ok, ok. I think... I think our professor set us up. Look for cameras, I bet Rowsdower is in on this whole thing. Let me... let me grab my camera. I want to record this. We will probably look back at this and laugh, later."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Nick Currier

Nick glanced at Mark and shook his head sadly. "I saw Rowsdowser's body, Mark. I don't know if it was a whatever it's called, a wendigo that killed him, but he's dead."

He turned back to the trapdoor, ready to move on Stanley's signal.

I'm going to be spending the weekend larping, I won't be back until Monday. Don't kill the wendigo without me!

• Locked thread