Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'm I misreading this or are they working on eventually adding new smoothstone variants like granite and such?

Also a few new types of dirt from the looks of it.

egg tats fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

senae posted:

Also a few new types of dirt from the looks of it.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'm I misreading this or are they working on eventually adding new smoothstone variants like granite and such?

1.8 has several new stones: granite, andesite, and diorite. They spawn in clumps in 1.8 generated worlds and have crafting recipes for worlds that are ported up to 1.8.

1.7 added a few new biomes that use either dirt that cannot be turned into grass or a new type of dirt/grass called podzol that is supposed to represent leaf litter found under pine trees and such. These blocks were added to help make biomes a bit more varied instead of just having grass for days. The dirt that cannot be converted into grass has a name in 1.8, Course Dirt, and can be crafted in 1.8 using gravel and dirt.

You should all take a peek at the 1.8 change log so far on the wiki which can be found here: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/1.8

Lot of interesting things, a lot of it back end changes and there is a ton more to come (Grum stated that "Between snapshot 14w21b and 14w25b in total 2651 files changed, 41995 insertions, 43425 deletions for a grand total of 285408 lines of diffs" and that his branch of the 1.8 build hasn't even been fully integrated yet because of how flipping massive the change is).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ultimately if I were programming the first thing that comes to mind on how to do a more intense overhaul would be to remove 'air' and 'water' blocks, and replace them with a single 'empty' block. And then give all blocks that aren't 100% solid a 'medium' piece of data, empty block obviously included, so that they can have 'medium=water' and 'medium=air' (and probably medium=lava) and some other data values to handle flow and direction, and then work from there. That'd allow all things like ladders and signs to be underwater. (And break every zombie elevator in existence in the process, actually)

That'd be a pretty big overhaul, though.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 20, 2014

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I tend towards the console versions of Minecraft, if only because there's no native Mac version and also because I like their crafting interface better, but this is all interesting stuff in the pipeline.

The stuff you can come up with is crazy. Adding just one new mob or one new block is like multiplying it by the rest of the blocks.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Speedball posted:

I tend towards the console versions of Minecraft, if only because there's no native Mac version and also because I like their crafting interface better, but this is all interesting stuff in the pipeline.

Uh... yeah there is. It's a Java game, it runs fine on PC or Mac.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

…son of a bitch, how did I get it stuck in my head that that wasn't the case?

Well. Anyway. Other point stands, I hate having to memorize poo poo to build poo poo.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

Speedball posted:

I have no idea. The fact that it runs on windows is more surprising to me than mac or linux tbh.

Also minecraftwiki.net man

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Speedball posted:

Well. Anyway. Other point stands, I hate having to memorize poo poo to build poo poo.

This is REALLY easy once you get going. Also, find a good goon server (I suggest WilsonSMP), multiplayer is amazing.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Speedball posted:

Run windowed, have the Minecraft wiki open.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
Speaking of MC 1.8, I've actually been updating MCEdit for a bit now since there really aren't any great editors, and thought you guys might want to know I've gotten it up to the 14w25b snapshot.

It's been a bit rough since I never actually learned python, but it's gone well so far. Started making my own builds because codewarrior disappears for such long periods so no changes can get added, they're only 32bit, but if you know how to run from source you can use 64bit.

Progress so far:

You don't want to know how long it took me to get that cactus right, but I'm drat proud of it.

Download
Source

Autoexec.bat fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 26, 2014

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Bloody hell, there was a priest in one of the villages on my map (JUST ONE) and now he seems to have despawned or something. Maybe he got killed by zombies one night? I've been skipping past the nights a lot but I don't know, for whatever reason he's gone. I needed that bastard, he was the only way I could get Eyes of Ender regularly and I was so close to finishing the End Portal.

How do I maximize my chances for the villages to restock with a priest? Kill a few villagers, make sure the rest have been traded with so they want to mate, make sure that every building has at least one door on it?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Just going to put this right here ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUyTje22J7k

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Familiar Foreigner posted:

Speaking of MC 1.8, I've actually been updating MCEdit for a bit now since there really aren't any great editors, and thought you guys might want to know I've gotten it up to the 14w25b snapshot.

Thanks, I'll track this. So annoying that it hasn't been updated. Hope you're throwing pull requests at him too.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
Yeah, all the edits are in pull requests, he just hasn't been around to commit them. Been going well except I have no idea how to load the new pocket level format, not exactly an expert programmer by any definition.

Also so everyone knows, snapshots 14w26a and b corrupt saves, so don't use them. c is fine.

Autoexec.bat fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 27, 2014

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

I decided to try building a great big arcology in creative again, so I fired up 14w27b and made a new creative world, standard settings, with a seed of "Arcology II".

Spawn is here, on a small archipelago:

That grassy island in the distance has horsies and a hole.

A deep hole.

At the bottom of which is a mineshaft, connected in at least two places to natural cave systems.

Have fun!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Here's a thing. Playing SP survival with commands enabled on the latest snapshot, unable to locate a jungle anywhere on my expansive home continent, I switched to creative with /gamemode and flew around for an hour before I finally found one. After retrieving the jungle saplings I came for I did a quick /tp to get back home and... everything's gone.

Well, not quite *everything*. But...

* The dark oak planks I made my house out of remained, but the oak logs I built the supports from were gone
* All doors, stairs, ladders, windows, bookshelf, chests, railroad, crafting/enchanting tables were gone
* The stone brick I made my basement walls from was gone, but the stone I made the floor from remained
* All torches were gone, though underground caves where the torches were remained lit without the torches
* All trees, weeds and flowers were gone. Nothing but grass as far as the eye can see.
* Crops (including sugarcane) and livestock remained, but fences and pressure plates were gone
* Underground, the blocks that drop items when broken (coal, redstone, lapis, diamond) were gone, but those ores which only drop themselves (iron, gold) remained
* Water and lava remained intact

The effect stretched a significant but not infinite distance; it appears to extend over all loaded chunks centered on the point I /tp'd to.

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? I sure did learn my lesson about taking cheaty shortcuts, but, :drat:.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you want to cheat biome locations, just dig up a copy of Amidst. It's a little buggy with identifying specific features like villages, but even with the latest snapshots its accurate with the biomes.

(it currently crashes on customized world types though)

As for what happened to your home, I got no guesses. Obviously data got corrupted for those chunks but I've never heard of selective data loss.

I've noticed the newest snapshots are pretty bad about loading data, and instead of trying again it just gives up and leaves holes in the world that never fill in. Maybe that's what happened for certain block types when you teleported in.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

AMIDST locates where villages/strongholds/witch huts could possibly spawn but the terrain may make the spawns impossible.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So stupid question. Has this game ever gone on sale? I had a friend ask about it, but frankly I'm not going to recommend the game for $30.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

IUG posted:

So stupid question. Has this game ever gone on sale? I had a friend ask about it, but frankly I'm not going to recommend the game for $30.

The game was on sale during alpha and beta versions. :v:

Besides that there was a 2 for 1 deal they held on valentines forever ago to celebrate Notch getting married.

Don't expect the game to go on sale anytime soon as over 19,000 people bought PC/Mac copies in the past 24 hours alone according to their sales tracker as of this writing.

The game sells at an insane rate with a lifetime sales on the PC/Mac version having recently reached over 16,000,000 copies. So until they hit market saturation and sales drop way below average (they average around a minimum of 70,000 sales a week for the past few years now), don't expect the game's price to drop. I also wouldn't expect the game's price to drop because it is the only thing keeping Mojang afloat as their other game, Scrolls, only breaks about even after maintenance costs.

VVVV

Oh for sure, the income they rack in is insane, maybe I worded that wrong. Mojang stated earlier this year that the company could survive on saved profits for ten years from the day that Minecraft stops being profitable. :P But yeah, with the cash printing that MC does right now, there is no way in hell they will be doing a sale in a long rear end time.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 13, 2014

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Enzer posted:

over 19,000 people bought PC/Mac copies in the past 24 hours

(they average around a minimum of 70,000 sales a week for the past few years now)

it is the only thing keeping Mojang afloat

$27 x 19,000 is over half a million. In one loving day. I know they have taxes and various fees and hosting costs and poo poo, but half a million in cash gross income per day should do way more than keep the company afloat.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

sfwarlock posted:

$27 x 19,000 is over half a million. In one loving day. I know they have taxes and various fees and hosting costs and poo poo, but half a million in cash gross income per day should do way more than keep the company afloat.

Oh, they're not hurting for money. At the same time, they clearly have no need to put the game on sale, since it's still selling incredibly well. And let's face it - it still costs less than half than a normal game release these days.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

19,000 a day for a game that was available in 2009, and "done" in 2011. AAA dev studios can't even imagine getting that kind of momentum, their games usually drop off the face of the planet after 3 months.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Don't forget Realms subscriptions.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
Don't forget cross-platform sales either; Wikipedia has Minecraft listed as selling 54 million across all platforms, putting it as the third-best selling game of all time. While a lot of those are probably 360 port downloads, the sad thing is that a pretty significant number of them must also be of the Pocket Edition (I think it's still in the top 5 top-selling in the Android store and has been since release), which is a horribly gimped, pain-in-the-rear end to control game that I don't think has been updated to work worth a poo poo in months, although maybe I'm unintentionally exaggerating.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Heavy Lobster posted:

Don't forget cross-platform sales either; Wikipedia has Minecraft listed as selling 54 million across all platforms, putting it as the third-best selling game of all time. While a lot of those are probably 360 port downloads, the sad thing is that a pretty significant number of them must also be of the Pocket Edition (I think it's still in the top 5 top-selling in the Android store and has been since release), which is a horribly gimped, pain-in-the-rear end to control game that I don't think has been updated to work worth a poo poo in months, although maybe I'm unintentionally exaggerating.

I think Mojang has said that the Pocket Edition is the highest selling version of the game. Yeah I don't get it either.

It has, however, just updated (like on the 10th) to version 0.9.0 Beta that adds a poo poo ton of content to that version (biomes, "infinite" worlds, cave generation, mobs, blocks, villagers etc) that brings it up almost to par with the PC 1.7 version which is pretty cool. The only thing major missing from that version I think is redstone and of course the nether and the end which they will probably not include because of platform limitations (world size and cave generation were already hard enough to pull off as is).

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Pocket_Edition_version_history#0.9.0

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pocket edition sells well because parents let their kids buy it and play it freely on their iPads without having the whole internet to worry about on the computer.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Even more than that, it gets kids to shut the gently caress up when their parents take them somewhere.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Back in my day the back of my parents hands were all we needed to keep us quiet on a long trip. :argh:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All I needed was a box of AA batteries and my gameboy.

So you know, just like today's kids only with fewer colors and fewer games (I had like four, tops).

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

xzzy posted:

All I needed was a box of AA batteries and my gameboy.

So you know, just like today's kids only with fewer colors and fewer games (I had like four, tops).

I hate you all. I got such major motion sickness I can't read in a car. I was reduced to begging for Walkman batteries to "read" books-on-tape, which were always frustrating because I read *much* faster.

Meantime, on topic, I made a thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rYt9mZRez0

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I get super motion sick these days, but as a kid I had no problem. :iiam:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

At the risk of derailing this further (but really, we barely post in this thread lately), you can minimize and possibly avoid motion sickness if you keep all outside movement completely out of view.

Apparently, it all has something to do with your brain trying to reconcile you doing a normal activity like reading or watching, and the whole world around you moving. I think.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

At the risk of derailing this further (but really, we barely post in this thread lately), you can minimize and possibly avoid motion sickness if you keep all outside movement completely out of view.

Apparently, it all has something to do with your brain trying to reconcile you doing a normal activity like reading or watching, and the whole world around you moving. I think.

The last part yes, the first part, the exact opposite.

It's the dissonance between your inner ear saying "we're moving" and your eyes, looking at a book/stationary object saying "nope, not moving."

Looking out the window helps, because then your eyes and "ears" agree.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

This is the reason in-car entertainment systems are mounted in the back of the front headrests or dangle from the ceiling, you can't help but look out the windows when you look at them.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Boat posted:

The last part yes, the first part, the exact opposite.

It's the dissonance between your inner ear saying "we're moving" and your eyes, looking at a book/stationary object saying "nope, not moving."

Looking out the window helps, because then your eyes and "ears" agree.

Ah ok, my mistake.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ah ok, my mistake.

Bringing it back around to video games, it's also why the Occulus Rift makes some people motion sick. Eyes say you're moving, inner ear says nope.

That said, Minecraft is one of the bigger reasons I'd like the Rift to get to market. It's a ton of fun to explore the world and being able to just look around naturally (plus the whole 3D thing) would just be awesome.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Boat posted:

Bringing it back around to video games, it's also why the Occulus Rift makes some people motion sick. Eyes say you're moving, inner ear says nope.

That said, Minecraft is one of the bigger reasons I'd like the Rift to get to market. It's a ton of fun to explore the world and being able to just look around naturally (plus the whole 3D thing) would just be awesome.

Only if it requires one of those body shock suits. You know, to make you really FEAR creepers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Get one of those omnidirectional treadmills too, run those three thousand meters yourself you fat bugger!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Get some simulated weight feedback on the suit too, so it simulates what it's like to pick up solid rock by the cubic meter.