Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Huh, that bit about Marlowe and Hitch being from the 104th has to be a mistake; why were they not in the Top 10 of that class? Not to mention they look older than the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Oh man, I hadn't expected those two to join us, that's great, I like them both. Can't wait for them to die! The chapter itself wasn't as good as last month's, but really, I don't think we'll be getting something that beats that one for a looong while.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Huh, that bit about Marlowe and Hitch being from the 104th has to be a mistake; why were they not in the Top 10 of that class? Not to mention they look older than the others.

What do you mean?

The top ten were Mikasa/Reiner/Bertoldht/Annie/Ernie/Jean/Marco(Dead)/Conny/Sasha/Christa.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Terper posted:

Oh man, I hadn't expected those two to join us, that's great, I like them both. Can't wait for them to die! The chapter itself wasn't as good as last month's, but really, I don't think we'll be getting something that beats that one for a looong while.
Last chapter was some drat good action, but this chapter was more about dealing with the consequences, which is what I find more interesting. I've always thought Jean was probably the most interesting character in the main cast, and this was his chapter. From Armin hesitating the least by far, making him the least humane of the three in the cart in his mind, leading to Jean's remorse at not being as inhumane as he needs to be... leading up to the end of the chapter where Jean can trust and recruit these guys only because they're both humane. "Good thing we're both people who can't be ruthless." That whole dimension, even if it is kind of simplistic, is why I like Attack on Titan more than just another action/horror story with less introspection.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Maybe not. The MP can't maintain it's numbers just from getting the top 10 every year (there are 2,000 MPs, but with 10 recruits every year for 104 years that gives them 1040 max, most of whom would be retired). Presumably you can get in by applying normally, the top 10 just gives you a guaranteed position. Since only one of the top 10 applied this year then more of the normal guys got in than usual. Though that's not taking into account the possibility that there is more than one school.

redneck sushi
Aug 5, 2013
Good stuff. I'm looking forward to see Annie again. I predict she'll be the titan designated to eat Eren and get the cordinate ability from him

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

And now Armin has finally peaked with his descent into darkness. Straight up killing someone without hesitation. Soon this will lead to a spin off series called "Attack on Titan: Death Wish" where Armin becomes Charles Bronson and murders the scum of the city in a vigilante style.

Okay, silliness aside, nice to see Marlowe and Hitch back. I liked the nice touch of Hitch saying she still has Annie's stuff in their room. And I'll echo the sentiment that this was Jean's big growth chapter. Much like how Marco's death changed him, nearly dying to Kenny's squad has also changed him. Let's just hope recruiting Marlowe and Hitch doesn't come back to haunt him.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

The top 10 have instant access to the MP without having to go through other means, meaning they can say "I want to join the Military Police", and there in just like that. Hitch is heavily implied to be where she is because she slept with a ranking (and corrupt) MP officer, while Marlowe probably got through whatever extra method(s) are needed for someone who didn't graduate in the top 10 of their class. It's also possible they were in the 104th because remember, 15 is the minimum age someone has to be to join any of the military factions. You could easily be in your 20s or 30s and join the military for whatever reason. We've just been focusing on a core cast that is very young (and in typical shonen age ranges) outside of a few people like Levi and Erwin.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

redneck sushi posted:

Good stuff. I'm looking forward to see Annie again. I predict she'll be the titan designated to eat Eren and get the cordinate ability from him
Why? I don't think the King and the Wall-breaking faction have any connections. If the shadow government that rules the Walls wanted the Walls gone, it'd be done. But I would definitely like to see what Annie's up to. She's been out of things for a very long time...

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Squidster posted:

Why? I don't think the King and the Wall-breaking faction have any connections. If the shadow government that rules the Walls wanted the Walls gone, it'd be done. But I would definitely like to see what Annie's up to. She's been out of things for a very long time...

I think it's a safe bet now that Marlowe and Hitch are along for the ride. I also think there's a good chance that Jean will die before this arc is through; too many time spent on him and not nearly enough on Sasha/Connie.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Doflamingo posted:

I also think there's a good chance that Jean will die before this arc is through; too many time spent on him and not nearly enough on Sasha/Connie.

That's like every arc except for the arc about their villages

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

welcome marlowe and hitch

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Shirtless Levi. Prepare for a thousand girls splooshing.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I can't stop seeing Marlowe as Joshuu from Jojolion

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Regarding the 104th questions, Isayama answered this. Every city has their own cadet division. Marlo and Hitch are 104th graduates from another city.

Edit: Hitch even says, "You were part of the southern trainee squad right?"

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 6, 2014

redneck sushi
Aug 5, 2013

I learned a new word today :(

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I don't see Marlowe and Hitch lasting more than a couple chapters. Which is a shame, because they've got great names to say as a pair. "Marlowe and Hitch."

redneck sushi posted:

I learned a new word today :(

This means you haven't watched Archer. You ought to fix that if you have, like, the Netflix or something.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Regarding the 104th questions, Isayama answered this. Every city has their own cadet division. Marlo and Hitch are 104th graduates from another city.

Edit: Hitch even says, "You were part of the southern trainee squad right?"

Ah, I see.

On another note, I still can't shake off the feeling that the attack on the Central MP HQ is going to bite them in the rear end again, much like the whole "capture Djel Sanes and his buddy and then start a rebellion" thing did

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
I spent a solid minute trying to figure out who 'disarmed' Jean only to realize he did it as part of the test.. I was looking at the panels in confusion.

milktwice
Feb 15, 2012
I didn't enjoy this chapter, I thought it was pretty boring, but then again I haven't really enjoyed any of these chapters repeating Eren's kidnap because I find the political intrigue really uninteresting. At least in comparison to all the stuff outside the walls that hasn't been being explored.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I REALLY don't like Jean's expression in the very last panel. I think the gang got some bad intel.

PowFu
Dec 31, 2010
Connie's got some awesome camouflage this chapter!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Neo_Crimson posted:

I REALLY don't like Jean's expression in the very last panel. I think the gang got some bad intel.

Kind of agree. I actually think the person hesitated to shoot Jean because he is actually an embedded MP agent but that is just a gut feeling.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

That would be a cool reveal...We've been in Jean's head before and he's never really made any overt or covert moves toward being disloyal. If you think back to the night they all chose to be Scouts it went into Connie, Jean, and Sasha's thoughts but completely ignored Reiner, Ymir, Historia, Berthold, and Annie. Going into their heads would have revealed too much.

Hitch will probably betray them if there is a traitor. She joined the military police deliberately to take advantage of the corruption. The Scout's victory would mean political reform.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Hitch will probably betray them if there is a traitor. She joined the military police deliberately to take advantage of the corruption. The Scout's victory would mean political reform.[/spoiler]

Despite this. Hitch appears to be a better person then she thinks she is.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Neo_Crimson posted:

I dunno, nearly everyone's face in that panel is hosed up.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

:geno:

CHANGE

*hands out gun stiffly*

of guard.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I just read my local library's copy of "Attack on Titan Junior High", and it's actually decently silly light comedic fluff! I was thinking "Oh man, what is this? This is gonna be cringeworthy!" but it's not bad. And the adaptation is really good too, it's more of a naturalistic localization than a word-for-word translation.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Ah, I see.

On another note, I still can't shake off the feeling that the attack on the Central MP HQ is going to bite them in the rear end again, much like the whole "capture Djel Sanes and his buddy and then start a rebellion" thing did

You're probably right, but it's not like they have much of a choice. They're outnumbered, outgunned, and are fighting the propaganda machine of the current regime, they have to take large risks if they want any chance at succeeding. Who knows what they could grab from the Central MPs base, high value captives, incriminating documents, maybe even some of the new 3DMG. It's also probably the last place that the MPs are expecting them to hit.

Does anyone else get the feeling like Isayama has been lying to us and Jean is actually the main character of this series? Sure Eren is more important, but Jean feels much more like the protagonist than Eren at this point. How many times and for how long has Eren been the MacGuffin/damsel in distress now?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Actually, this might be important than it seems. If Levi has a matching azns-only gangtag on his wrist like manga Mikasa does, this would prove that they're related. I still hope that this isn't a thing, though.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Was there ever any reason given for the tattoo being taken out of the anime? I remember that scene being specifically replaced by doing Asian embroidery or something like that.

It'd be awkward for the anime if the tattoo is actually important. My guess is that it wasn't, and maybe it got removed so animators wouldn't have to worry about it.

But it did get replaced with something else that involves a needle, so maybe it's :tinfoil: secret Grisha drugs :tinfoil:

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

The tattoo I figured was significant, but Isayama probably changed it. Mikasa has never been in a pose that shows her wrists, or her arm is covered by a shirt. So it got me thinking he's obviously hiding something.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-x9C0vHSu9zY/Un2Ty4qm7CI/AAAAAAAASlc/R6aidr9NTx0/005.png?imgmax=3000 That is the only shot of her right wrist I've ever seen that isn't obscured. You'd be able to see it. Kinda like how he changed Marlowe's last name this chapter, and Marcel- he probably changed his mind and that's why it's embroidery.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 7, 2014

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

I went back and checked, and Isayama never even showed the tattoo in the page when she received it. It's covered by bandages.

I agree with Nelson - it's probably either retconned out of existence or dickbutt.

\/\/\/\/\/\/
The panels I just posted are literally the only reference to it in the entire story. It's easy to miss, and I don't think its that important.

Squidster fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 7, 2014

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Squidster posted:

I went back and checked, and Isayama never even showed the tattoo in the page when she received it. It's covered by bandages.

I agree with Nelson - it's probably either retconned out of existence or dickbutt.

Was that in the side story about high school or something? I thought I was caught up in the main series but I don't remember tattoos.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Krinkle posted:

Was that in the side story about high school or something? I thought I was caught up in the main series but I don't remember tattoos.

That was in the flashback to her Parent's death during Eren's 'Death'

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

ATP_Power posted:

Does anyone else get the feeling like Isayama has been lying to us and Jean is actually the main character of this series? Sure Eren is more important, but Jean feels much more like the protagonist than Eren at this point. How many times and for how long has Eren been the MacGuffin/damsel in distress now?
Jean is Isayama's favorite character and he's a much more interesting one to boot.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Not that I don't love political intrigue but I'm starting to really miss the titans.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Note Block posted:

Not that I don't love political intrigue but I'm starting to really miss the titans.

I noticed that I was too when I was watching the dub. I miss Annie too.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
I gotta love that the first line in the chapter is "That tall guy called himself Mr. Military Police."

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

:stare: The proportions on the page are giving me the creeps. Levi's right arm is all hosed up and I don't even know what the deal is with Connie.

Viola the Mad fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 8, 2014

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

What do you expect? It's Isayama.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Viola the Mad posted:

I gotta love that the first line in the chapter is "That tall guy called himself Mr. Military Police."

:stare: The proportions on the page are giving me the creeps. Levi's right arm is all hosed up and I don't even know what the deal is with Connie.

Confirmed: Levi is the Monkey titan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Can't wait for Grisha to be monkey titan.