Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I am so SO low on money right now, but I plan on picking up A Hard Day's Night when I get my check Friday, and then if I have enough spending money by the end of the sale, Life Aquatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Kart Barfunkel posted:

When Horror Came to Sonichu

Sonichu was already horrifying. :stonk:

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Sonichu was already horrifying. :stonk:

Oh god. I've been telling everybody about how I'm about to watch 4 Sonichu movies. My friends must think I'm crazy.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Why is Battle of Algiers $50?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

Why is Battle of Algiers $50?

The DVD edition takes up three discs because there's around 5-6 hours of supplements. The Blu condenses the 2nd and 3rd DVD discs into one Blu, with the first DVD disc being identical to the first Blu disc. Sort of like how Brazil, The Night of the Hunter, and The Leopard take up two discs due to content.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
For what it's worth, it's a terrific set and totally worth the money if you like the movie.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

Anonymous Robot posted:

Anyone else a B&N member and noticing that your discount isn't being applied to orders online? It should be 60%, to my knowledge the extra 10% applies to all sale merchandise, but I'm only getting 50% off.

Slate Action posted:

The 10% membership discount only applies to in-store purchases, doesn't it? Online purchases don't get the discount.

Also, for what it's worth, the combined in-store discount is actually 55% off, because you pay 90% of 50%.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
Anyone interested in getting the BBS box set and splitting it up? I really only want Five Easy Pieces, which is one of my favorites, but I can't swing the entire box for one disc. As far as I know each disc has its own digipak (think it's 7 discs + booklet), so it shouldn't be a problem if anyone is interested.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

robix smash posted:

Anyone interested in getting the BBS box set and splitting it up? I really only want Five Easy Pieces, which is one of my favorites, but I can't swing the entire box for one disc. As far as I know each disc has its own digipak (think it's 7 discs + booklet), so it shouldn't be a problem if anyone is interested.

I used to have the whole set, but sold it. Every film in it is good, but the only one I really regret getting rid of is Head. I too wouldn't mind splitting it up with someone...

Also, yes, most of the films have their own digipak, but a couple share cases... Pretty sure Five Easy Pieces has it's own.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I want to pick something up during the sale, which of these would you recommend for a blind buy:
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Repulsion
Night of the Hunter
City Lights
Breathless

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Toebone posted:

I want to pick something up during the sale, which of these would you recommend for a blind buy:
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Repulsion
Night of the Hunter
City Lights
Breathless

If only one then Night of the Hunter, not even a choice.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I blind bought Night of the Hunter and was extremely surprised. You can't go wrong with it. Though City Lights makes a close second.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You fuckers, making me go out and spend money.

I went to ye olde Barnes and Noble (gotta go in store for the extra 10% and the awesome older dude who knows what the gently caress he's talking about) and got:

On The Waterfront
Dazed and Confused
Repo Man
House
Thief
A Hard Day's Night
Life Aquatic
Broadcast News
Being John Malkovich

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Yoshifan823 posted:

You fuckers, making me go out and spend money.

I went to ye olde Barnes and Noble (gotta go in store for the extra 10% and the awesome older dude who knows what the gently caress he's talking about) and got:

On The Waterfront
Dazed and Confused
Repo Man
House
Thief
A Hard Day's Night
Life Aquatic
Broadcast News
Being John Malkovich

Nice haul - I already have the inferior releases of Thief & A Hard Day's Night and still need to check those out before I go blindly douple-dipping.

I wish I had a wise old man. This was a woman who claimed there's B&N Criterion sales 4-5 times a year, after having to ask me three times to say "Jules & Jim" and then spell it out. Maybe I just mumble my words?

I still have to pay the $4.50 toll there & back across the Canada/US border (which I think is cheaper than online shipping cost?) but not having to wait 3-4 weeks is definitely nice. I did end up buying Jules & Jim and Ace in the Hole online the next day.

BarryMantlesnorks
Nov 14, 2005
Man, it feels good to actually have money once these sales roll around now.

The Life Aquatic
Like Someone In Love
Revanche
Metropolitan
Jules & Jim
Babette's Feast
The Great Beauty
The Devil's Backbone
Thief

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

Daveski posted:

I used to have the whole set, but sold it. Every film in it is good, but the only one I really regret getting rid of is Head. I too wouldn't mind splitting it up with someone...

Also, yes, most of the films have their own digipak, but a couple share cases... Pretty sure Five Easy Pieces has it's own.
Anyone else down to join in?

Terrifying Effigies posted:

If only one then Night of the Hunter, not even a choice.
There is a choice since Night of the Hunter is more expensive I guess. Personally, I'd take City Lights out of that list.

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

I have partaken in the BN Criterion sale before, but this time my hunger was more severe... savage.

I had no intention of buying this much when I walked in the store, but I walked out with:

Eating Raoul
The Thin Red Line
Shallow Grave
Rififi
The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou
Harold And Maude
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Seconds
Slacker
The Night Of The Hunter
The Wages Of Fear
Shoah

And I still plan on getting Insomnia and The Big Chill later this month. I'm gonna be feeling this for weeks. Eating Raoul, Seconds, Rififi and Shoah are blind buys. I feel more comfortable with that than I would expect.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Eating Raoul is probably one of the most fun movies in the collection, so I don't think you'll regret that one.

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

Honestly, 80% of the reason I bought Eating Raoul was because of the shared actors (and characters?) with Night Of The Comet and Chopping Mall.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I hope you can get through Shoah. I couldn't.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Hibernator posted:

I had no intention of buying this much when I walked in the store, but I walked out with:

Eating Raoul
The Thin Red Line
Shallow Grave
Rififi
The Wages Of Fear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_IlNbsILLE

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Swagger Dagger posted:

I hope you can get through Shoah. I couldn't.

Why not? I had to break it up into 3 or 4 viewings (more due to outside commitments than anything else), but other than that I found it mesmerizing and emotional. The running time was not near as intimidating as it seemed it would be

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Dr.Caligari posted:

Why not? I had to break it up into 3 or 4 viewings (more due to outside commitments than anything else), but other than that I found it mesmerizing and emotional. The running time was not near as intimidating as it seemed it would be

I just got really, really sad.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
Bit the bullet and placed an order. All blind buys except for one.

Night of the Hunter (only non blind buy)
Branded to Kill
Judex
Thief
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Kuroneko
Walkabout

I'm pretty excited.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Grabbed To Be Or Not To Be and All That Heaven Allows, I can cry and then cheer myself up :v:

When Scanners comes out I'm going to pick it up and probably snag Persona and maybe the David Lean/Noel Coward boxset if I have extra monies.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'm really glad A Hard Day's Night is selling so well, because I gotta assume it increases the chance of a Criterion release of How I Won The War.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
How is the Robert Downey Sr. Eclipse set? I know absolutely nothing about it, but it looks really interesting and at only $20 I was tempted to blind buy it this weekend.

Ended up grabbing blus of The Uninvited, Godzilla, and Eyes Without a Face. I had a really hard time limiting myself to just those three, but I'll make another trip to the store later this month and pick up another few titles.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Toebone posted:

Picnic at Hanging Rock
Repulsion
Night of the Hunter
City Lights
Breathless

City Lights forever.

Daveski posted:

How is the Robert Downey Sr. Eclipse set? I know absolutely nothing about it, but it looks really interesting and at only $20 I was tempted to blind buy it this weekend.

It's a ton of fun but Putney Swope is probably the only one you'll ever watch twice.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

boom boom boom posted:

I'm really glad A Hard Day's Night is selling so well, because I gotta assume it increases the chance of a Criterion release of How I Won The War.

It'll be either Twilight Time, Criterion, or Kino. MGM owns most of his 1960s and early 1970s output. I wouldn't mind Criterion eventually doing Help! even though Apple released their own version already.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Egbert Souse posted:

It'll be either Twilight Time, Criterion, or Kino. MGM owns most of his 1960s and early 1970s output. I wouldn't mind Criterion eventually doing Help! even though Apple released their own version already.

The rights situation on all the movies is a bit unclear from the Wikipedia articles alone. Shenson (the producer) had the rights to AHDN and probably still does (Janus/Criterion "acquired the rights from Miramax on behalf of the Shenson Estate" makes it a little unclear though).

Help! may also still be owned by Shenson with Apple as the "full rightsholders" and then released by Universal Music, presumably as home video sub-licensor, so Criterion getting Help! would likely depend on Apple pulling the sub-license from Universal to hand it to Criterion (which strikes me as unlikely given the Blu-ray release just happened last year)

What would be interesting would be if the favorable press from AHDN leads Apple Corps to sub-license Let It Be to Criterion for the first home video release since the early 1980s. This will, of course, never actually happen (since the consensus is that the Beatles and their heirs don't want to show the bad blood).

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

ComradeCosmobot posted:

The rights situation on all the movies is a bit unclear from the Wikipedia articles alone. Shenson (the producer) had the rights to AHDN and probably still does (Janus/Criterion "acquired the rights from Miramax on behalf of the Shenson Estate" makes it a little unclear though).

Help! may also still be owned by Shenson with Apple as the "full rightsholders" and then released by Universal Music, presumably as home video sub-licensor, so Criterion getting Help! would likely depend on Apple pulling the sub-license from Universal to hand it to Criterion (which strikes me as unlikely given the Blu-ray release just happened last year)

What would be interesting would be if the favorable press from AHDN leads Apple Corps to sub-license Let It Be to Criterion for the first home video release since the early 1980s. This will, of course, never actually happen (since the consensus is that the Beatles and their heirs don't want to show the bad blood).

Actually, A Hard Day's Night has always been owned by Walter Shenson directly until his death. When he died, the rights were purchased from his estate by Bruce A. Karsh. United Artists had a 15-year theatrical distribution arrangement. When that expired, Shenson licensed theatrical rights to Universal and video rights to MPI Home Video. The initial Criterion laserdisc was licensed from MPI. In 1998, Shenson licensed both theatrical and home video rights to Miramax. That's why Janus got theatrical rights and Criterion got home video this time... plus, they should have the rights for quite a while.

Help! was a joint production of Shenson's production company and what later became Apple Films (Subafilms). As with A Hard Day's Nights, Shenson's half of the rights were transfered to Karsh. Apple Corps has always owned the other half of the rights. Apple Corps fully owns both Magical Mystery Tour and Let It Be, though United Artists still had distribution of the latter as late as 1980 (which is why the Magnetic Video release happened). Of course, once UA lost the rights, Apple never issued it again. Yellow Submarine was a joint production of King Features Syndicate (now owned by Hearst Entertainment) and Apple Corps. United Artists apparently kept distribution rights for quite a while since all video and theatrical issues were through them (or successor MGM) until the 2012 DVD/Blu-Ray release. I'm guessing that either Apple Corps bought out the rights or they simply expired.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Kept it light this time...

Fantastic Mr. Fox
A Hard Day's Night
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
Tokyo Story

Any speculation on when Good Morning is going to get a US Blu release?

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

zenintrude posted:

Any speculation on when Good Morning is going to get a US Blu release?

That's the question I want answered - Good Morning is adorable.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Double post!

Bong Joon-ho just went through the Criterion closet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBgZQCkUp7E

I love the fact that Chan-wook Park 'borrowed' Bong Joon-ho's copy of Medium Cool and still needs to give it back. :3:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Internet strangers, should I get Grand Budapest Hotel or Anatomy of a Murder?

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Gonna go with Anatomy of a Murder on that one, because a) I've seen it b) Jimmy Stewart says "Panties" in it.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Picked up Repulsion and Blow Out today. Was hoping to get Night of the Hunter but I didn't see it on the shelves.

Both were blind purchases so which should I watch first?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

boom boom boom posted:

Internet strangers, should I get Grand Budapest Hotel or Anatomy of a Murder?

Grand Budapest Hotel is part of this sale?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Oh, I was just assuming it was a Criterion release, but I guess it's not. What happened there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

boom boom boom posted:

Oh, I was just assuming it was a Criterion release, but I guess it's not. What happened there?

Wes Anderson has regular releases first and Criterion releases a few years later.