Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's really enjoyable to read thoughts on the character designs, I have to say.

It's also sort of weird looking at the Bayonetta designs and realizing they are pretty restrained and tasteful (for the concept.) Maybe that's the side effect of reading the Senran Kagura thread talking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It's really enjoyable to read thoughts on the character designs, I have to say.

It's also sort of weird looking at the Bayonetta designs and realizing they are pretty restrained and tasteful (for the concept.) Maybe that's the side effect of reading the Senran Kagura thread talking.

Bayonetta was fundamentally concepted by somebody whose root was fashion design. She's actually not very fetishistic by construction, but in production she ended up with a more leather suit design, the dude spent 5 million hours sculpting her butt and some of the cutscenes...

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's astounding the Bayonetta's not a visually unappealing character despite her ridiculous proportions and beehive hairstyle. Like the character should look overdesigned, but nah everything fits together pretty well.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Bayonetta 2 is really cool and all but maybe we should make a new thread for it and put this one out of its misery. Or just a general stylish action game thread.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There's already a Platinum thread lurking around somewhere.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

notZaar posted:

Bayonetta 2 is really cool and all but maybe we should make a new thread for it and put this one out of its misery. Or just a general stylish action game thread.

NO! We must convert all Platinum threads to FULL PLATINUM OPERATION

All games in all threads! Dogs and cats living together! Dinosaurs raising from the skies (?)!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

notZaar posted:

Or just a general stylish action game thread.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There's already a Platinum thread lurking around somewhere.

Ah, so there is. I thought it had died.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Whenever DMC5 gets announced at TGS we can make a new thread.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

SurrealityCheck posted:

Bayonetta was fundamentally concepted by somebody whose root was fashion design. She's actually not very fetishistic by construction, but in production she ended up with a more leather suit design, the dude spent 5 million hours sculpting her butt and some of the cutscenes...

The proportions are less... Weird in those! Legs not as ridiculously long and stuff.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Luisfe posted:

The proportions are less... Weird in those! Legs not as ridiculously long and stuff.

They really are just as weird! She's rocking a good 9-11 heads in all of those :D

My feeling is the proportions read a lot better in the fashion arty brushy style that she uses - but rendered out in a 3d model moving around it becomes a lot more apparent in the strangeness of some of her motions, particularly when she sits down!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Styilization tends to look a lot better with pictures than it does with 3D models. It isn't impossible to do good stylized models but it's remarkably easy to gently caress them up. Even a little off and the look you're going for becomes really unnerving.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I thought Bayonetta is supposed to look weird because she's a freaky witch lady who kicks guys and is also a video game character

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nothing ever looks intentionally weird with Kamiya. That man brought a bunch of kids in to give their opinion on Joe and they said "His head's too big", "His scarf is pink, I don't like it!", and "Sylvia yells too much, I hate her!" he then proceeded to tell those children to leave and kept everything as it was.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Beef Waifu posted:

It's astounding the Bayonetta's not a visually unappealing character despite her ridiculous proportions and beehive hairstyle. Like the character should look overdesigned, but nah everything fits together pretty well.

Really? She always looked too weird for me and that was the main reason I never was too interested on the game. Her design for 2 looks better though. :shrug:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Beef Waifu posted:

Nothing ever looks intentionally weird with Kamiya. That man brought a bunch of kids in to give their opinion on Joe and they said "His head's too big", "His scarf is pink, I don't like it!", and "Sylvia yells too much, I hate her!" he then proceeded to tell those children to leave and kept everything as it was.

Hideki Kamiya is the best.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

This is probably the right place to ask. I recently got DMC4 for PC, and I'm still pretty early on. However, I now noticed that the charge shot for Nero's gun can be charged while doing other moves, which would be handy, but it's kinda hard to keep your finger on X/square and do other stuff at the same time. This is a highly specific question, but what is the optimal button configuration for DMC4? I assume I'd want gun attacks on a shoulder button, but probably not R2 since it'd conflict with the lock-on button. I just really haven't found a setup that is particularly comfortable for charging the gun while attacking yet, and want opinions here.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

This is probably the right place to ask. I recently got DMC4 for PC, and I'm still pretty early on. However, I now noticed that the charge shot for Nero's gun can be charged while doing other moves, which would be handy, but it's kinda hard to keep your finger on X/square and do other stuff at the same time. This is a highly specific question, but what is the optimal button configuration for DMC4? I assume I'd want gun attacks on a shoulder button, but probably not R2 since it'd conflict with the lock-on button. I just really haven't found a setup that is particularly comfortable for charging the gun while attacking yet, and want opinions here.

There isn't really an optimal one except one that you find comfortable. You're right that you want Nero's charge shot to be somewhere you can comfortably hold. I find a shoulder button best for me but YMMV.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I switch it with the devil trigger button.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Infinity Gaia posted:

I prefer L2 so it balances with R1 as lock-on. The rev button is right beside it, but you should only be tapping rev on just frames anyway, not squeezing it.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I have shoot on L1/LB too, but it's also a good idea to move taunt from Select/Back to R2/RT. This is because Nero has a dropkick move that can be done by pressing taunt while sprinting, which is really hard to do with the original button placement. You can also enter doors while in the dropkick animation, so there's no reason to not dropkick every door.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rev is honestly the hardest thing for me to find a comfortable place for. You need it somewhere accessible since it's so crazy powerful but I really wish it was something besides its own dedicated button.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Infinity Gaia posted:

This is actually the secret to maximizing Nero.

Always
Be
Charging!

I do R1: Lock, L1: Gun because this allows me to basically keep that jammed down for every major fight and just keep lobbing fat lazers at people. I don't think you can beat Dante Must Die Mode without maximizing the gun and the frames.

Some helpful tips for Dante include:
Practice style swapping forever until it becomes second nature
Try to find out all the neat ways you can use Guard Break because it basically breaks the game open.
Pandora seems like a joke but this thing is the bizness. Learn it well.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

Ah, so there is. I thought it had died.

I did too

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Don't worry it'll be dead when no one plays Bayo 2.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Beef Waifu posted:

Hahaha Kamiya you loving own.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Beef Waifu posted:

Don't worry it'll be dead when no one plays Bayo 2.

You say that as if every single Wii U owner won't buy it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Having both Bayos vaults the Wii U over the competition pretty soundly in one fell swoop.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

BottledBodhisvata posted:

You say that as if every single Wii U owner won't buy it.

So that's what, like 12 people?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I might buy a Wii U just for the Bayo collection and W101. When the price is right.

Mister Xenophobe
Feb 2, 2008

Beef Waifu posted:

So that's what, like 12 people?

To be fair, the SM3DW LP has, like, doubled the number of Wii-U owners.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

ImpAtom posted:

Rev is honestly the hardest thing for me to find a comfortable place for. You need it somewhere accessible since it's so crazy powerful but I really wish it was something besides its own dedicated button.
Before my current pad I had a 3rd party one that had 2 buttons on the back where your ring/pinky rest. That was perfect for chargeshot.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mister Xenophobe posted:

To be fair, the SM3DW LP has, like, doubled the number of Wii-U owners.

No, that's Mario Kart 8 that did that. With the 2 million copies sold worldwide, it's very impressive that the game did that much business on what many people perceived to be a dead console. That being said, the idea that even half of those people are going to buy Bayo 2 is very silly.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Playing DmC on PC again and the mod site for it seems to have problems with downloading the mods now. Had to go elsewhere to get most but I can't find an alternate link for the all weapons damage colored enemies mod. Can anybody help?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bayonetta 2's dev blogs have just updated to talk about a little, subtle feature new to the game that adds a decent amount of character. The small attention to detail things in games like this always make me happy.

http://platinumgames.com/2014/07/04/figuring-out-damage-motion/

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Can someone tell me what was so bad about DMC2? I got the HD collection because I'd never played the first game and only ever rented the third. I'm getting close to the end of DMC1 and I'm just wondering what was so bad about 2. I'd rather not play it and find out if it really was as bad as I keep hearing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DoubleDonut posted:

Can someone tell me what was so bad about DMC2? I got the HD collection because I'd never played the first game and only ever rented the third. I'm getting close to the end of DMC1 and I'm just wondering what was so bad about 2. I'd rather not play it and find out if it really was as bad as I keep hearing.

It was designed by a different team and is just really badly designed.

There are no alternate weapons, just variations on the same sword. The guns are overpowered as gently caress. The scoring system is lovely. The enemy design is terrible and boring, but the enemy HPs are over-inflated which makes fights tedious and sloggy. The level design is terrible. The combat mechanics are just bad. It's pretty ugly and has lovely art design.

Like the only good about it is that it is the only game you can play as Trish.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Beef Waifu posted:

No, that's Mario Kart 8 that did that. With the 2 million copies sold worldwide, it's very impressive that the game did that much business on what many people perceived to be a dead console. That being said, the idea that even half of those people are going to buy Bayo 2 is very silly.

Sounds like somebody's being a Negative Nancy. :colbert:

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

ImpAtom posted:

It was designed by a different team and is just really badly designed.

There are no alternate weapons, just variations on the same sword. The guns are overpowered as gently caress. The scoring system is lovely. The enemy design is terrible and boring, but the enemy HPs are over-inflated which makes fights tedious and sloggy. The level design is terrible. The combat mechanics are just bad. It's pretty ugly and has lovely art design.

Like the only good about it is that it is the only game you can play as Trish.

the weird part is that she plays like Dante from the first DMC.

doesn't fix the rest of the bad things in DMC2, though.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.
As much as I wish Bayo 2 would come out on other systems, I am hopeful at the Korra Avatar game coming out soon. PLEASE be good!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/25/platinum-games-the-legend-of-korra-coming-in-2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

You should probably keep in mind that the Korra game is planned as a small downloadable title. At a possibly reduced price. Some sites have gotten to play some of it and they seem pretty impressed and it sounds a lot like a platinum title.

I'd figure this would be better then Anarchy Reigns at least.

• Locked thread