Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Anders posted:

It makes me sad we won't ever see Thor Hushovd riding cobbles again.

I think Kristoff is a pretty good attempt at cloning him, so you're in luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Oasx posted:

Is there really any point to the cobbles, other than a gleeful audience watching riders fall? I just don't see the fascination with the winner of the tour being decided by which riders are lucky enough to avoid crashing.

They are the best riders in the world, why shouldn't they have a real skill test?

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

There were people saying the same thing the last time we had cobbles. To be considered a winner of the Tour de France one should be a complete rider. One who performs consistently the best in the mountains, time trials, flats, and this year cobbles. It's not like they didn't know the route before signing up, they could have focused on the Giro or Vuelta if they didn't want to ride the dreaded cobbles.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Cobbles are a huge test of bike handling, especially when wet. You've also got to be tough enough to stay alert and race while taking a pounding

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
Dangerous break with Gallopin, Acevedo, Clarke, Dumoulin, T Martin, Burghardt, Westra, Hayman & Taaramae.

Teams car order for the race (important for mechanical)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Does the team car order change day to day? It it chosen by lottery, or what?

carborexic
Nov 9, 2008

krushgroove posted:

Does the team car order change day to day? It it chosen by lottery, or what?

General classification decides it.

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
It's the general classification that matter for team car in the tour, for classics it's UCI ranking.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Does that mean the teams are ranked like tennis players at a major tournament, so the 'best' teams are at the front of the queue of cars?

Also, is anyone using Cervelo? I know they had their Test Team a while back but they don't seem to be directly involved as a title sponsor of a team.

Tuiri
Jun 9, 2013
Froome has fallen again.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
..and Froome is down again.

krushgroove posted:

Does that mean the teams are ranked like tennis players at a major tournament, so the 'best' teams are at the front of the queue of cars?

Also, is anyone using Cervelo? I know they had their Test Team a while back but they don't seem to be directly involved as a title sponsor of a team.

Garmin-Sharp has Cervelo Bikes.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Froome down again!

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Another stage, another fall and another bike for Christopher.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Sky mechanics wrapped Froome's right handle bar in 4 tapes, left side only doubled up. Looks like he's got some trouble holding the bar with right hand.

Sky are riding plan A to protect Froome but to also protect Porte in case Froome can't manage it as plan B.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I think Garmin-Sharp are the only ones riding Cervelos.

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
On his right side this team. His confidence must be terrible.

Garmin use Cervelo, UCI world tour : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_UCI_World_Tour

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Froome is hosed, can't zone out on painkillers and stare at your SRM all day in conditions like this.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Thanks guys, was just curious. I enjoyed their series of videos 'Beyond the Peloton' and got to 'know' Thor and the other younger blonde guy (can't remember his name but haven't seen him mentioned by anyone in the last year or two).

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

You may be thinking of Heinrich Hausler.

Should have picked Brad!

Tuiri
Jun 9, 2013
Tony Martin has fallen too.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Cervelos are for triathletes. Give me one of those sweet Cofidis Looks. Goddamn.!

Froome's left hand seems pretty strapped up.

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
45 min until the fist cobbles.

If there is a bunch sprint the finish could be dangerous, 50m from the line :

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I'm so goddamn hype for the cobbles I can hardly contain myself

lol, that's a nice run up to the finish

Tuiri
Jun 9, 2013

Mr.Nice posted:

45 min until the fist cobbles.

If there is a bunch sprint the finish could be dangerous, 50m from the line :

People are going to crash so hard there.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Pocket posted:

You may be thinking of Heinrich Hausler.

Should have picked Brad!

That's the guy, I found him on Wikipedia, seems he's still racing for IAM.

Thanks for putting up with the noob questions :) this is one of the 2 or 3 cycle races I follow every year!

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Froome reportedly down again.

e: or maybe not? Excellent commentating there.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Got Eurosport instead of itv :getin:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Shame about the cuts, they could have been entertaining, but there's not much to be gained having them ride a mountain bike track on road bikes.

Unless they included a bike swap station. That would be funny.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

goatface posted:

Shame about the cuts, they could have been entertaining, but there's not much to be gained having them ride a mountain bike track on road bikes.

Unless they included a bike swap station. That would be funny.

The bits they've removed looked like rivers this morning. Couldnt see the cobbles.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Messyass posted:

I think Kristoff is a pretty good attempt at cloning him, so you're in luck.

While that would be nice, and despite Kristoff being really really awesome, I don't think he'll ever be as good as Thor was on his best

mattah
Nov 9, 2003

Oh Pikachu!

Swink posted:

Cervelos are for triathletes. Give me one of those sweet Cofidis Looks. Goddamn.!

Have a friend with a Look 695. Nothing but hassles with those things.

The new Addicts .. :fap:

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

This looks miserable

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Got Eurosport instead of itv :getin:

Enjoy your boring monotone commentators

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad Yorkshire didn't look this cold and wet.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Swink posted:

They have some sweet rear end road bikes as well but I really know nothing about how top end bikes from various manufacturers stack up against each other. Their Rca frame looks nice though

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Froomes hanging around at the back. He could be done.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

serious gaylord posted:

Froomes hanging around at the back. He could be done.

Makes it fun for Australia if Porte usurps Team Sky leadership.

MacDougall fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 9, 2014

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Ah hes stopped loving around and got up the front now.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

GodDAMN this is crashy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
This is carnage and they're not even at the cobbles yet. Cancellara down now. And thomas i think for Sky.