Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
It's fitting the stage started in Ypres, this is a battlefield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Boom could pretty much sit up now, dude's killed them.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Contador has dropped from the main GC chase group, he's going to lose significant time on everyone today.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
A Dutch rider would cross the line looking like he's blacked up.

I was hopeful Nibali would turn £1 into £150 for me for a while there.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Withnail posted:

Sagan won't pull

He was taking pulls until it was clear they weren't bringing back Lars.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Excellent stage, GC should be amazing

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Bit of a shame that Cancellara couldn't do more, but that was an amazing stage regardless. I hope the Tour organizers don't get second thoughts about including cobbles, it really was the rain that did most of the damage.

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
Incredible stage, amazing Nibali and Astana, Contador is outside the Top10 for GC.

Purno
Aug 6, 2008

Whooo, after nine years finally another Dutch Tour win, what a great result for Boom. Amazing stage.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

carborexic
Nov 9, 2008

Contador has to attack at every opportunity now, and that always makes for some incredibly entertaining racing.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Hegay posted:

Jakob Fuglsang looking tight as hell. Bossing it for sure

He was looking huge, nice shoulders and traps

Clugg
Apr 21, 2005

To be fair, it seemed like there was a lot of nervousness in the peloton with riders not wanting to sacrifice places/time so they'd be in a decent position for the narrow cobbled stages. In the end, I thought the riders handled the actual pavés pretty well.

Pity about all the crashes though, in a way; in dry weather it still would have been a cracking stage. It would be a loss to the Tour if it were left out in future.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Damage was done by Westra today. He must have been maxed out for 10-20 minutes.

Tuiri
Jun 9, 2013
Amazing stage, great riding by Astana with Westra and Fuglsang.
Really glad that Boom won, made riding on the cobbles look relatively easy.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Astana was just murdering it all day, put pressure on Froome and Contador from the opening and cracked both. Brilliant stuff.

borapt
Jul 14, 2008
Oh man. Oooooooh man, that was good. <3 Nibali even more now. What a freakin' ride from him and Astana.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

African AIDS cum posted:

He was looking huge, nice shoulders and traps

and still best hairline in peloton

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Watching the replays of Contador on the cobble, he suddenly went into pussy mode and dropped a ton of speed.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

quote:

Thierry Gouvenou posted:
A stage riddled with dangers
The time has come for the famous stage and its nine cobbled sectors, which promise, dare I say it, a "battlefield". It all starts in Ypres, Belgium, a city notorious for the gas attacks launched in it. It would have been unacceptable for the Tour not to commemorate the Centenary of the start of World War I in its own way... However, we will focus on the race, which promises to be a spectacular showdown. I do not expect Froome to thrive on the cobblestones but, who knows, he may want to prove us wrong... For him and many others, this is a stage riddled with dangers. The cobblestones will be a hinge moment in the race.

No poo poo :staredog: :suspense:

Bolivar fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 9, 2014

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Couldn't pay a whole lot of attention here at work.

C/D: Froome slammed before he even rode a pave sector.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

glyph posted:

Couldn't pay a whole lot of attention here at work.

Confirm. He crashed twice before he got to the cobbles.

Clugg
Apr 21, 2005

glyph posted:

C

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Van Garderen a oval office in his interview with NBC today, bit of a drama queen crybaby

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
He was taken out by other riders both times. Poor race positioning.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

This some amazing week for Schadenfreude, first Brazil getting humiliated and now this, I'm going to OD!

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Pocket posted:

This some amazing week for Schadenfreude, first Brazil getting humiliated and now this, I'm going to OD!

Same my friend

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

French TV saying Froome's x-ray last night showed a hair line fracture, if true sending him out today was just stupid.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Pocket posted:

French TV saying Froome's x-ray last night showed a hair line fracture, if true sending him out today was just stupid.

I think they will go with this story to make Froome look like he toughed it out, but you could hear the team and riders telling him to go on and he just threw a fit and got in the car. I bet the most hurt thing is his feelings. Very mentally weak.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

That's a massive shame for the tour as a spectacle

What the gently caress are you talking about. With froome gone, there may actually be a race this year. The tour is the single shittiest race of the year, even moreso when there's a clearcut winner from day 6. Doubly so when that winner has no charisma and every interview translates to "I'm on poo poo you haven't banned yet; come at me"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I thought Froome was properly hurt, he looked like he wanted to cry on one of his team's shoulder like a Brazilian footballer.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

goatface posted:

I thought Froome was properly hurt, he looked like he wanted to cry on one of his team's shoulder like a Brazilian footballer.

He literally cried when people were tweeting about his asthma inhaler

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Speaking of twitter how's his GF fighting the good fight against the hordes?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Gibbo posted:

The tour is the single shittiest race of the year, even moreso when there's a clearcut winner from day 6.

spoiler: it's Nibbles and this just happened and it isn't poo poo at all hth

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Pocket posted:

Speaking of twitter how's his GF fighting the good fight against the hordes?

She deleted her account during the Dauphine lol

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
For the record, I don't think any of Froome's crashes were his fault.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Gibbo posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about. With froome gone, there may actually be a race this year. The tour is the single shittiest race of the year, even moreso when there's a clearcut winner from day 6. Doubly so when that winner has no charisma and every interview translates to "I'm on poo poo you haven't banned yet; come at me"

The dauphine was cool mate

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

I was thinking about that, it seemed that both contador and froome peaked too early.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

African AIDS cum posted:

I think they will go with this story to make Froome look like he toughed it out, but you could hear the team and riders telling him to go on and he just threw a fit and got in the car. I bet the most hurt thing is his feelings. Very mentally weak.

Actually France2 got interview with the TDF doctor and she said the x-ray was clear, he still had pain so maybe he would need better imaging if the pain continued, but that was nothing she could see in the x-ray.

African AIDS cum posted:

She deleted her account during the Dauphine lol

Fuckin lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Vando posted:

spoiler: it's Nibbles and this just happened and it isn't poo poo at all hth

Nibs at least has some charisma and entertainment value, and isn't hated by his teammates.