Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
And it still doesn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
After Marvel, DC and Image, what's the next-biggest company, IDW or Dark Horse?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

After Marvel, DC and Image, what's the next-biggest company, IDW or Dark Horse?

I actually think Dark Horse is bigger than Image, or at least they used to be before they lost all the Star Wars licenses.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

I actually think Dark Horse is bigger than Image, or at least they used to be before they lost all the Star Wars licenses.

Oh no way. Image has much more of an industry presence and a bigger profile.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

http://www.diamondcomics.com/Home/1/1/3/237?articleID=149729

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm kinda surprised IDW is as big as Dark Horse now, although I guess they did aggressively move in on a lot of properties.

That reminds me, has Transformers vs. GI Joe started coming out? The Free Comic Book Day issue was loving awesome.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

I totally forgot about them showing her as a child. I kinda assumed she stepped out of a tube full grown. Still, if she's 23 now, I don't know what people are complaining about.

I remembered them showing her as a child, but I thought she was supposed to be a toddler and like 2 or 3 years old. Then I had no loving clue how old she was supposed to be later and just kind of assumed she was a badly-drawn teenager, because lord knows some comic artists can't draw teen girls right half the time.

Then I realized Romita Jr just sucks at drawing kids and she was supposed to be a bit older than that.

I think a lot of people pegged her for younger because it wasn't clear how old she was in the initial appearance, nor how old she was after the ten year time skip thing. They figured the "23!" thing was a lovely last-minute retcon, rather than something intended all along but obscured by inability to draw kids' ages.

Edit: Also, a bunch of people hopped on a Twitter/Tumblr bandwagon where they heard one person who'd assumed her age incorrectly rant about it, and then got all mad about a comic they'd not even read. So that's where some of the complaining came from also.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

brother
sister

If the first one is a 12ish year old. The second isn't close.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 9, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

There were a few months in 2013 where IDW took the #3 spot. The loss of SW will further push DH down a few more steps. IDW Allegedly has something huge to announce at SDCC that will take them up to a whole new level.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
ROM ongoing. Calling it now.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Literally The Worst posted:

If it's not Marvel ROM I don't want it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Literally The Worst posted:

Chris Ryall has been trying to get a new ROM series going since IDW signed their Hasbro deal. But since 90's of the Rom property is Marvel owned it's not worth it and Hasbro won't license it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If they can get MiracleMan figured out enough to run reprints they can do anything

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Opopanax posted:

If they can get MiracleMan figured out enough to run reprints they can do anything

That was the outright purchase of the character, Hasbro isn't budging, neither is Marvel and reason to push for it. Eventually Hasbro will cave in and Ryall will launch his new ROM series sans everything that made the original special.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
ROM's problem isn't a labyrinthine rights tangle, it's that the two parties who hold the rights aren't willing to pay one or the other for what is honestly a pretty cold property.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Has Hasbro ever explained why they care so much about Rom?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this? posted:

He was very popular when he had his own book and so much love and care went into that series. And they've sprinkled what they can throughout their cosmic line very frequently to keep the memory alive. Everybody loves ROM. They still feel they can bank on that nostalgia in some way.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Has BSS?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I'm still holding out for Disney to buy Hasbro. For many reasons.

Mostly I want to go to Tatooine and then Cybertron in Kingdom Hearts III.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

And Spider-man can get his robot back!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CapnAndy posted:

I'm still holding out for Disney to buy Hasbro. For many reasons.

Mostly I want to go to Tatooine and then Cybertron in Kingdom Hearts III.

They looked into it last year because of Transformers money. But Takara was all "gently caress that poo poo."

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Rhyno posted:

They looked into it last year because of Transformers money. But Takara was all "gently caress that poo poo."
I know, there were rumors right after the Marvel buy too. It's honestly a pretty logical buy -- Hasbro has the rights to Star Wars and Marvel toys, I bet Disney would love to bring that last revenue stream in, and they get a bunch of great IPs that fit right into everything else they own.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CapnAndy posted:

I know, there were rumors right after the Marvel buy too. It's honestly a pretty logical buy -- Hasbro has the rights to Star Wars and Marvel toys, I bet Disney would love to bring that last revenue stream in, and they get a bunch of great IPs that fit right into everything else they own.

It made sense to everybody except Takara. Like, Disney can buy Hasbro. But they don't get any rights to the TF designs because Takara owns all that so they weren't interested.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Would Disney buying Hasbro out stop Michael Bay from making more Transformers movies? Because if so, we need to take this to the United Nations.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I know ROM isn't quite as big a deal, but I think after what Marvel's been going through trying to get their characters back for movies they'll be a lot more reluctant to let anyone else use their characters for anything.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Would Disney buying Hasbro out stop Michael Bay from making more Transformers movies? Because if so, we need to take this to the United Nations.

Bay is a license to print money, Disney would probably try to get him onto a Marvel film.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Michael Bay's Transformers Vs Avengers would be the ultimate summer blockbuster and I cannot even fathom how much money it would make.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
The ROM thing is a good example of something that baffles me about fandom. There's no chance a new ROM book would be anything like the old ROM book. Neither of the original creators would be working on it, which you think would be the draw for people nostalgic about the old book. But apparently that doesn't matter; just having the property back gets them all excited. It's weird.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't care at all about ROM.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senior Woodchuck posted:

The ROM thing is a good example of something that baffles me about fandom. There's no chance a new ROM book would be anything like the old ROM book. Neither of the original creators would be working on it, which you think would be the draw for people nostalgic about the old book. But apparently that doesn't matter; just having the property back gets them all excited. It's weird.

Let me tell you about a little thing called Doctor Who...

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What the hell is ROM? Aside from Quark's nephew and read only memory?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I agree completely. The original series was obviously a passion project of Mantlo and Buscema's. I think people really just want easy-to-buy Ultimate Editions of the original run.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

greatn posted:

Rom was Quark's brother. Quark's nephew was Nog. :spergin:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redbackground posted:

I agree completely. The original series was obviously a passion project of Mantlo and Buscema's. I think people really just want easy-to-buy Ultimate Editions of the original run.

Marvel should hire someone to trace over every issue and just give him a new name.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Marvel should hire someone to trace over every issue and just give him a new name.
I would be cool with ROB. He's hip! He's cool! and it's uh, short for robot!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redbackground posted:

I would be cool with ROB. He's hip! He's cool! and it's uh, short for robot!

They could also just replace every image of Rom with Conan and rename the book CROM.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

They could also just replace every image of Rom with Conan and rename the book CROM.
The ROM/Conan Team-Up King-Size Special would be the first drat issue I'd seek out in Morpheus' library.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Annihilators was a straight up sequel to ROM and it ruled.

greatn posted:

Back in the 70s Marvel got the license to do a comic about a toy robot called ROM. There was nothing to this robot except a name and a design, so they threw it to Bill Mantlo, who was also working on the much less popular but still very good Micronauts (another licensed property), to do whatever with.

75 issues and 4 annuals later ROM is a fantastic sci-fi story with this really overwrought, super formal dialog that works so well because he really pushed that idea of ROM being a Spaceknight and went with like that super stiff faux-medieval thing and it's so goddamn good read ROM Jesus Christ. Problem is, Hasbro owns ROM, Marvel owns all the things that made that book rule.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Marvel did a lot of great licensed comics in the 70s and 80s. Larry Hama's GI Joe and the original Transformers comics were great. They also did Godzilla, Planet of the Apes, Star Wars and all kinds of stuff.

IDW reprinted the original GI Joe and Transformers in these big beautiful collections. They hit some licensing snags like removing the issue of Transformers with Spider-Man, but they're mostly there. Check 'em out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Unmature posted:

Marvel did a lot of great licensed comics in the 70s and 80s. Larry Hama's GI Joe and the original Transformers comics were great. They also did Godzilla, Planet of the Apes, Star Wars and all kinds of stuff.

IDW reprinted the original GI Joe and Transformers in these big beautiful collections. They hit some licensing snags like removing the issue of Transformers with Spider-Man, but they're mostly there. Check 'em out.

David Gabriel (Marvel VP of Marketing)'s wet dream is to get all those licensed properties back. I know he was super excited at the prospect of Disney buying Hasbro.