Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Cross-Section posted:

Not to mention that there's now photos floating around of Ford already out and about (albeit using a prosthetic crutch/peg leg):

We're all fine here, now, thank you.

I never knew how much I wanted Han to have a peg leg until just now. Just let him act in that thing, CGI his leg out instead. All the characters can have various prosthetics. Luke has his hand, Han has his leg, Leia has a red Terminator eye, 3PO has a human arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
They absolutely should design a knee brace that has a Star Wars look to it and just write it into the story. Han's leg was crippled at some point in the past 30 years, big deal.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Chewbacca was mortally wounded so Han shot 3P0 and now Chewie's half wookie, half golden machine

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

In this continuity the planet missed Chewie and hit Han's leg, he got better because he's Han fuckin' Solo

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Rasczak posted:

In this continuity the planet missed Chewie and hit Han's leg, he got better because he's Han fuckin' Solo

Moon. It was a moon. Get your made up facts straight.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

tribbledirigible posted:

Moon. It was a moon. Get your made up facts straight.

That's no moon

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Cross-Section posted:

Not to mention that there's now photos floating around of Ford already out and about (albeit using a prosthetic crutch/peg leg):

He's more machine now than man.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Han refuses the mechanical leg ala Luke's hand because he doesn't trust machines. He welds a metal wrench to the bone. Or a blaster like in Planet Terror.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Maybe Han was tired of playing to lose in Holo-Chess and thought after all this time Chewie had learned to be less of a sore loser who tears his opponent's limbs off.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Bongo Bill posted:

Luke did the opposite of what all the Jedi in the Order would have done, but he still called himself a Jedi. The prequels were about how Anakin became the mortal enemy of the Order, and Luke also called him a Jedi.

Luke should get chopped in half with a red lightsaber in Episode VII, because all mentors must die, but I don't think it will happen due to being wrong about what it means to be a mystical guardian of peace and justice. Though if one of his students doesn't get it, that could be interesting.

Luke calls Anakin a Jedi, and it inspires Anakin to revert back to being the man he was before he became a mortal enemy of the Order, at which point he destroys the Jedi's arch foe and fulfills an ancient Jedi prophecy. Which is why at the very end (in the most recent Lucas cut) his ghost image reverts back to his former, younger self and is seen chilling with two old guard Jedi in Force Heaven. Luke's statement is an affirmation of his belief in the good man that still resides inside Vader, not an endorsement of every action Anakin took in opposition to the Jedi. I doubt Luke is endorsing the slaughter of children, for instance.

I'd be disappointed if Luke was killed off in the new movies, because at this point it's a cliche, and given that he's presented as having consummated Jedi philosophy in Episode VI, it would be a weird thematic statement. He's already renounced hate and violence. There's no reason he shouldn't be allowed to die peacefully in his sleep at an advanced age. That's the problem with sequels like this though. It doesn't seem like there's much else to say that hasn't already been said.

Anyway, are we even still allowed to argue about the old movies in this thread? I'd be glad to, personally, but my past posts on that topic apparently weren't received very well and led to the thread being temporarily shut down.

Terry Grunthouse
Apr 9, 2007

I AM GOING TO EAT YOU LOOK MY TEETH ARE REALLY GOOD EATERS
I came across this excerpt from a book written in 1983, about the tone of each of trilogies as Lucas had originally planned. While I know Lucas isn't in charge of the tone of the sequel trilogy anymore, it's at least interesting to see how, even in 1981, he had already planned on the prequel trilogy to be "Machiavellian and melodramatic, like a costume drama." So, with a grain of salt, it is possible we'll be getting a far more philosophical third installment of the trilogies. I personally think that sounds really intriguing, however with Abrams directing, I expect it will be even more action packed than the others (though it could still be thought-provoking at the same time). Rian Johnson could definitely take it in that direction (as an aside: Rian Johnson is the most exciting news ever, he was the director I was hoping for like 2 years ago or whenever they announced the sequel trilogy).

Worrell, Icons: Intimate Portraits, 1983 posted:

In 1980 Lucas revealed to Time magazine that the sequel trilogy would revolve around “the rebuilding of the Republic,” and in 1983 stated to that magazine that thematically it would be about “the necessity for moral choices and the wisdom needed to distinguish right from wrong,” implying perhaps a more introspective tone, which is consistent with Lucas’ implications that the three sets of films would all be stylistically different. The first trilogy is to be more Machiavellian and melodramatic, like a costume drama, as Lucas revealed in 1981, while the second is more action-packed and light-hearted, perhaps leaving the third to be more philosophical, addressing issues of ethical responsibility and moral ambiguity.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...

Benedick Cuckold posted:

He's already renounced hate and violence. There's no reason he shouldn't be allowed to die peacefully in his sleep at an advanced age. That's the problem with sequels like this though. It doesn't seem like there's much else to say that hasn't already been said.

There's not much more to say about Luke, sure, I'd agree. I'm sure they could find something to say with Star Wars, though. My major concern for the sequels is that they will say nothing, though, not realizing the rest of the Saga was saying so much.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
You just have to give him a new conflict. Sure, he took care of the family drama and saved the galaxy, but someone's going to be in peril somewhere otherwise this will be a boring three movies.

I'm kinda guessing Luke's going to be Obi Wan here though, a mentor passing the torch.

It's like poetry...

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...

hhhat posted:

You just have to give him a new conflict. Sure, he took care of the family drama and saved the galaxy, but someone's going to be in peril somewhere otherwise this will be a boring three movies.

I'm kinda guessing Luke's going to be Obi Wan here though, a mentor passing the torch.

It's like poetry...

Well the argument is that Luke figured out conflict. Not just that one conflict. He figured out how to be in the galaxy. He surpassed his masters. He's enlightened. No new conflict should matter to that. However, trying to pass that on could be problematic.

The role of the living buddha. How to help others understand that.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Lunatic Pathos posted:

Well the argument is that Luke figured out conflict. Not just that one conflict. He figured out how to be in the galaxy. He surpassed his masters. He's enlightened. No new conflict should matter to that. However, trying to pass that on could be problematic.

While he was going Siddhartha his buddies blew up a space station... he might take the role of Yoda but they'll still be like 'dude you can do mind control and choke people over the radio stop being a jerk and help'

That in itself could be an interesting storyline. Although I'm not imagining him as the reluctant retiree. Who knows. Gonna be fun to find out.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Lobok posted:

Maybe Han was tired of playing to lose in Holo-Chess and thought after all this time Chewie had learned to be less of a sore loser who tears his opponent's limbs off.

Alternatively, maybe Han literally broke his foot off in Chewie's rear end for being such a sore loser

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Benedick Cuckold posted:

Luke calls Anakin a Jedi, and it inspires Anakin to revert back to being the man he was before he became a mortal enemy of the Order, at which point he destroys the Jedi's arch foe and fulfills an ancient Jedi prophecy. Which is why at the very end (in the most recent Lucas cut) his ghost image reverts back to his former, younger self and is seen chilling with two old guard Jedi in Force Heaven. Luke's statement is an affirmation of his belief in the good man that still resides inside Vader, not an endorsement of every action Anakin took in opposition to the Jedi. I doubt Luke is endorsing the slaughter of children, for instance.

Anakin frequently disagreed with the Order even before he decided to start killing them. He turned against the Jedi Order because he could see that they would "stand in the way of peace" (a line from Clone Wars), and that decision was how he was manipulated into doing the Emperor's bidding. The most iconic part of Darth Vader's costume is his mask, which prevents him from seeing anything "with [his] own eyes" - once Palpatine declares him Darth Vader, he sees only what his master wants him to see. (In The Empire Strikes Back, when he's acting on his own to try to unite with Luke, he takes his helmet off when he's meditating.)

Anakin came to the conclusion that the Jedi were evil all on his own, and he wasn't wrong. Palpatine's lesson only inspired him to destroy his enemy utterly, children and all, in contradistinction to Luke's example to fight by rejecting it and risking everything else to save those who've fallen under its influence.

The films don't show us much of Anakin's heroic side. They often depict him as uncommunicative, temperamental, unforgiving, and arrogant, all of which is true, but when they show him being selfless, idealistic, and kind, it's so stiff and unnatural that it comes across as insincere or creepy. Even if this did serve some thematic purpose, it's very much to the prequels' detriment, so I'm drawing a lot on Clone Wars with this. But that's okay because Clone Wars is good.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Cross-Section posted:

In Darkman there was a henchman with a prosthetic leg that was a machine gun. Han Solo should totally have something like that.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

Grendels Dad posted:

In Darkman there was a henchman with a prosthetic leg that was a machine gun. Han Solo should totally have something like that.

Do blasters autofire?

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Spoiler tags FFS!

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
So apparently the Daily Mail reckons Carrie Fisher's daughter Billy Lourd has been cast to play a young version of Leia in a flashback.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...pisode-VII.html

Or an old secret hologram message from young Leia or something, hidden deep in Artoo's electronic bowels, and only just discovered. Who knows.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Lunatic Pathos posted:

Even though Luke has "figured it out" and is acting in some combination of super-ambassador/Jedi-teacher, the direction that seems most interesting to me is how to maintain that degree of conflict solving. If we can assume that the Jedi were once of a similar mindset yet still reached the point we saw in the prequels, then Luke's era is doomed to the same conclusion...unless he can see the rot already starting and the story is to how to prevent the rot from setting in.

Which in Star Wars terms, I see as one of his students/family falling to the dark side and the struggle to a) accept that someone so close to him is in this state and b) work to help them out of it. To me, it parallels the kinds of conflicts we see in our society (e.g.,a friend or family member becoming a drug addict or criminal).

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

So apparently the Daily Mail reckons Carrie Fisher's daughter Billy Lourd has been cast to play a young version of Leia in a flashback.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...pisode-VII.html

Or an old secret hologram message from young Leia or something, hidden deep in Artoo's electronic bowels, and only just discovered. Who knows.

Rumors also say it might be Leia's daughter.

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012
Could be both - she might have impregnated herself with her clone.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Rumors also say it might be Leia's daughter.

Let's hope so because I see next to zero similarity.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Outside of her mouth being bigger she could easily pass, especially if it's in the context of a blurry hologram recording.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

They can just CGI a smaller mouth.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Vintersorg posted:

They can just CGI a smaller mouth.

CGI a larger mouth on Leia in the OT and new movies.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Trump posted:

Why stop there? Just replace Leia with the daughter in all her scenes.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Vulpes posted:

Why stop there? Just replace Leia with the daughter in all her scenes.

Including the scene at the end of RotS!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Trump posted:

Just replace Leia with the Mouth of Sauron.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
A local theater is going to be showing a DCP of Star Wars: A New Hope and claims that it's the original version:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/75th-anniversary-opening-night-star-wars-episode-iv-1977-tickets-12157917659

This is what they're saying about it on social media:

Sounds like b.s. to me but it's already sold out so I won't be able to find out for myself.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Bongo Bill posted:

Anakin frequently disagreed with the Order even before he decided to start killing them. He turned against the Jedi Order because he could see that they would "stand in the way of peace" (a line from Clone Wars), and that decision was how he was manipulated into doing the Emperor's bidding. The most iconic part of Darth Vader's costume is his mask, which prevents him from seeing anything "with [his] own eyes" - once Palpatine declares him Darth Vader, he sees only what his master wants him to see. (In The Empire Strikes Back, when he's acting on his own to try to unite with Luke, he takes his helmet off when he's meditating.)

Anakin came to the conclusion that the Jedi were evil all on his own, and he wasn't wrong. Palpatine's lesson only inspired him to destroy his enemy utterly, children and all, in contradistinction to Luke's example to fight by rejecting it and risking everything else to save those who've fallen under its influence.

The films don't show us much of Anakin's heroic side. They often depict him as uncommunicative, temperamental, unforgiving, and arrogant, all of which is true, but when they show him being selfless, idealistic, and kind, it's so stiff and unnatural that it comes across as insincere or creepy. Even if this did serve some thematic purpose, it's very much to the prequels' detriment, so I'm drawing a lot on Clone Wars with this. But that's okay because Clone Wars is good.

Yeah, the prequels answer the question, "how could someone and some age so noble fall from grace?" with, "they were not so noble." It's like Shakespeare. :v:

But seriously, it is like Julius Caesar, where the very nature of the Republic leads its "noblest" citizens to destroy the Republic.

I don't think you give Palpatine enough credit. Anakin distrusts the Jedi, but he doesn't think they're evil until he sees one armed and standing over the pitiable form of the only person who treated him with respect. Palpatine is not as helpless as he feigns and shows no lingering effects from the ordeal aside from his change in appearance, which is as symbolic as it is physical.

PeterWeller fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 4, 2014

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

Grendels Dad posted:

Just replace Leia with the Mouth of Sauron.

Replace everyone with Boba Fett

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

DNS posted:

A local theater is going to be showing a DCP of Star Wars: A New Hope and claims that it's the original version:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/75th-anniversary-opening-night-star-wars-episode-iv-1977-tickets-12157917659

This is what they're saying about it on social media:

Sounds like b.s. to me but it's already sold out so I won't be able to find out for myself.

Yeah I knew it had to be bullshit: http://www.deadline.com/2014/07/georgias-oldest-theater-gets-oldest-star-wars-movie-anniversary-screening/

"Disney officials confirmed that the digital print being provided the Plaza will be based on the Special Edition version which got a wide release in 1997."

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

This makes me more excited than most leaked images for some reason.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Tatooine again!

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

kiimo posted:

This makes me more excited than most leaked images for some reason.

Is that a big IMAX steadicam rig?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I had a dream where I was watching the new Star Wars movie and it was so full of action and crazy space battles that I didn't care about anything else.

• Locked thread