Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

PaintVagrant posted:

Going to crack open my beater e39 540i this weekend. Putting together a parts order, here's what I am ordering this week:

GDCS overhaul kit
Belts
Timing chain tensioner
Oil/ filter (crush washer?)
Spark plugs

Anything else I should throw money at while I have the front bumper/rad off? Front seal?

Do e39s have that leaky oil filter housing gasket/oil line to the VANOS? If so, that. Everyone else covered what I thought of. (Pulleys/tensioners, VCG, etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Breakdown & recovery cover is the best investment ever if you drive something even remotely likely to break. I pay £140/year in the UK , and that gets me coverage for breakdowns at my house, and towing home from anywhere in the uk for no extra cost. And I think in probably paying over the odds. In the past in my vehicles, work vehicles, and cars I've been passengers in:

Many, many recoveries for normal breakdowns (most 100+ miles from home).

Pulled out of a ditch I reversed into.

A car recovered from the side of a road which had obviously been towed there after killing its engine on a rally.

Taken 300 miles home when a £500 sight unseen eBay car shat it's engine an hour after we bought it.

Keys locked in my car outside the house.

Dead battery three miles up a dirt track (not me but somebody I work with).

Ran out of diesel in the middle of nowhere.

And this is all after first buying recovery cover while sitting in a broken down car, then immediately calling them out.

On a BMW note, my e46 handbrake mounting plates are gubbed, there is a fix using washers, but I think I'll just replace them, but it's a hub off job, and that means I might as well do bearings too since they are 173,000 miles old. Front brake dust guards are in the same situation, thankfully the bearing DIY doesn't look too bad :effort:

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

Lufiron posted:

Get a 02-03 745 with high mileage and tell me how that goes

beater7 would like to have a word with you, it has 156k miles now

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Nait Sirhc posted:

beater7 would like to have a word with you, it has 156k miles now

Quoted to save for the inevitable.

Damnit, this thread makes me want a beater7, though.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Viper_3000 posted:

Do e39s have that leaky oil filter housing gasket/oil line to the VANOS? If so, that. Everyone else covered what I thought of. (Pulleys/tensioners, VCG, etc.)

I have the joy of owning a pre vanos car, wootles

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
And the M62 doesn't have vanos issues too :smug:

(if it does its because its out of oil - in that case there is more trouble than vanos)

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

I'm back, and now I get to make sure I'm not missing out on any promises! Huzzah for setting myself up for annoying strangers in faraway places!

Sure thing. It's peeling, though.

Thanks. No need to ship. I can meet you somewhere and/or lend a hand too if you need it this weekend.

quote:

I'm either CAA-Saskatchewan's favourite or least-favourite customer.

Brings me back to the days of a 1983 civic that was almost flindstone style and driving in -40 with a carb. Got a tow or two in that.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

meatpimp posted:

Quoted to save for the inevitable.

Damnit, this thread makes me want a beater7, though.

People were doing this like 10 thread pages ago.

People who don't have a 7 series.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

Nait Sirhc posted:

How are your valve seals holding up? Heads haven't completely clogged up with carbon, throwing secondary air faults? Alternator bracket gasket? Transmission shifting okay?

So much poo poo can go wrong with those cars, and I've had the misfortune of fixing it all. You're crazy.

Lufiron fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 9, 2014

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

In that case I imagine Nait Sirhc will just sell it to some 18-year old popped-collar douchebag for a grand more than he paid for it.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Paging execudork to your SAMart thread. I don't have PM's get back with me at jwilliamshirley at le google mail please.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Nait Sirhc posted:

And it's still the right response? Suggesting that people on a low budget should buy an old 7-series as their primary mode of transportation is kind of a bad idea. If you're ok with lots of little (and sometimes big) poo poo breaking/being broken and only repairing the critical stuff then sure, go hog wild and be that guy driving around in the 7-series with a broken taillight and barely functioning dash.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

Lufiron posted:

How are your valve seals holding up? Heads haven't completely clogged up with carbon, throwing secondary air faults? Alternator bracket gasket? Transmission shifting okay?

I can't hear you over the sound of the :smug: highly-engineered BMW 7-series :smug:

which is very surprisingy as you can hear a pin drop whilst riding inside the roomy cabin of a BMW 7-series.

Residency Evil posted:

And it's still the right response? Suggesting that people on a low budget should buy an old 7-series as their primary mode of transportation is kind of a bad idea. If you're ok with lots of little (and sometimes big) poo poo breaking/being broken and only repairing the critical stuff then sure, go hog wild and be that guy driving around in the 7-series with a broken taillight and barely functioning dash.

Oh I forgot this forum was entitled "Automotive Mediocrity"

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Nait Sirhc posted:

This guy gets it.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Driving any BMW on a low budget when you don't know much about cars seems like a pretty terrible idea
*drives an E30 with no service history while living in an apartment with nowhere to work on cars*

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Nait Sirhc posted:

Yes, if we could keep the posts limited to 1995 328's with broken taillights and barely functioning dashes, that would be nice.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

Nait Sirhc posted:

There's nothing insane about a E65 cept the driver and the repair bills.

Unless you have an Alpina B7

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Nait Sirhc posted:

I can't hear you over the sound of the :smug: highly-engineered BMW 7-series :smug:

which is very surprisingy as you can hear a pin drop whilst riding inside the roomy cabin of a BMW 7-series.

You can hear a pin drop because the engine doesn't run.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

You can hear a pin drop because the engine doesn't run.
this is true

engines in 7-series don't run, they stroll.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Haters gonna hate because they don't roll in a beater 7 :whatup:

The N62 is an incredibly quiet motor. My E60 just had faint valve train noise and the front fan kicking on now and then. The only problem I had with mine is the valve seals were starting to turn non existent. There was a claim of switching to a heavier synthetic would cure the problem, which it did help... but meh.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005
The valve seals are rubber and would turn into the same hard plastic as a valve cover gasket does over time. You can replace them on car without removing the heads if you know what you're doing and have the time to do so.

E60s might not have enough space though.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Yeah I read up on how to do it, but the car is now long gone.

All my stuff is now back to pushrods.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

Yes, if we could keep the posts limited to 1995 328's with broken taillights and barely functioning dashes, that would be nice.

Excuse me, my car is a 94 325.....with a brake light out and a shoddy dash.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Still searching for an E90, found this one with an m-sport package but it's pretty far away:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=375849813

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

On the same subject how much harsher is the standard sport or M-Sport suspension?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I don't see it being much harsher, especially if you end up ditching the terrible runflats.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Is there any way to tell if the anti theft system has been triggered? I've got an 01 323i that had been stored for a long time with a dead battery. I only have the valet key and when I try to start the car I get 0psi on the fuel rail. Any thoughts?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Is there any way to tell if the anti theft system has been triggered? I've got an 01 323i that had been stored for a long time with a dead battery. I only have the valet key and when I try to start the car I get 0psi on the fuel rail. Any thoughts?

Pull the fuel pump relay and see if there is voltage there. If there isn't, move onto the main relay (I am betting something security related, but always check the easy stuff)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

On the same subject how much harsher is the standard sport or M-Sport suspension?

The m sport suspension on my 135 with normal low profile tires feels about as stiff as my regular suspension 328 with RFTs did. The msport with RFTs was brutal. With normal tires, it's livable. There are still times where I regret going so fast over some bumps though.

S.W.G.
Jul 8, 2004
So a friend of mine took a new 2014 M5 home for a test drive over the weekend and promptly signed the paperwork Monday morning. Apparently it wont be at full potential until 1200 miles, when he takes it back to the dealer for it's "final tune". It already runs like a raped ape, let alone when they probably bump the boost a little bit.

I had been wondering about the synthetic engine noise and until I experienced it, was pretty disappointed. Overall it didn't bother me, but I could see it being confusing or annoying when you put an exhaust on the car. I'll be working on getting him to install a real tune and shoot for 700HP vicariously.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Can you turn it off? I searched around the idrive of a 328 I had as a loaner and didn't see anything. I prefer the actual sound in my car.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

The m sport suspension on my 135 with normal low profile tires feels about as stiff as my regular suspension 328 with RFTs did. The msport with RFTs was brutal. With normal tires, it's livable. There are still times where I regret going so fast over some bumps though.

I've been driving BMWs with coilovers for 7 or so years now, I can't imagine it being too rough comparatively.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Cojawfee posted:

Can you turn it off? I searched around the idrive of a 328 I had as a loaner and didn't see anything. I prefer the actual sound in my car.

I think you can pull a fuse on some models. I saw this a couple weeks ago and thought it was funny:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

On my e36 when the fuel pump went out I was able to turn the key to accessory and then smack the backseat above the pump to get it to kick on a few more times before it finally went kaput. Might not tell you anything, but if it starts then it's a pretty good indicator it's your fuel pump.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Beater 5 series is being a real douche to me tonight :smith:

Tried to change oil, realized it has a bad oil pan gasket and has been spewing oil over everything under the car. No big deal, I can clean it up and order a gasket and take care of it later. I go to drain it, and the loving drain plug is stripped. Just spins, alternating less and more resistance.

Ok, lets maybe move to this huge pile of GDCS parts I have accumulated. Oh, I need a 32mm service wrench to loosen the fan clutch and no store in the area has one. Whoops.

Alright gently caress it, I can at least swap out these spark plugs right? Got to 4th plug in right bank (closest to firewall) and it was fouled with a good amount of oil. Every other plug I have pulled to this point is bone dry. I have the valve cover gaskets but I wasnt prepared for it this weekend, need a few other things.

I button it up and reverse off my ramps, completely forgetting I had an old tire under the car as a safety measure (hah) and didnt realize til I had turned off the car and almost walked away. I think it got pinned mostly beneath the frame thankfully and hopefully didnt break anything. It probably did.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
There's an SAE wrench size that's close enough for the fan clutch. Can't remember but look at a chart or something.

E: I think it's 1 1/4"

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

revmoo posted:

There's an SAE wrench size that's close enough for the fan clutch. Can't remember but look at a chart or something.

E: I think it's 1 1/4"

Yeah its 1 1/4". I'll see what I can find tomorrow.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Can it be a crescent?
I'm getting ready to tear into my 635csi and would like to rid myself of the weak fan clutch.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

mafoose posted:

Can it be a crescent?
I'm getting ready to tear into my 635csi and would like to rid myself of the weak fan clutch.

It actually has to be, there's no way to get a closed spanner onto it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

PaintVagrant posted:

Beater 5 series is being a real douche to me tonight :smith:

Tried to change oil, realized it has a bad oil pan gasket and has been spewing oil over everything under the car. No big deal, I can clean it up and order a gasket and take care of it later. I go to drain it, and the loving drain plug is stripped. Just spins, alternating less and more resistance.

Ok, lets maybe move to this huge pile of GDCS parts I have accumulated. Oh, I need a 32mm service wrench to loosen the fan clutch and no store in the area has one. Whoops.

Alright gently caress it, I can at least swap out these spark plugs right? Got to 4th plug in right bank (closest to firewall) and it was fouled with a good amount of oil. Every other plug I have pulled to this point is bone dry. I have the valve cover gaskets but I wasnt prepared for it this weekend, need a few other things.

I button it up and reverse off my ramps, completely forgetting I had an old tire under the car as a safety measure (hah) and didnt realize til I had turned off the car and almost walked away. I think it got pinned mostly beneath the frame thankfully and hopefully didnt break anything. It probably did.

geezy petes.

I have absolutely no inclination to work on cars ever again so I've decided to only buy cars that don't break.

:beater7: