Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Professor Clumsy posted:

If I don't watch True Detective am I behind on the cultural conversation? Because I only just watched Breaking Bad.

I'm only just in the middle of Breaking Bad...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
You know, I feel like I shouldn't be saying this given its history, but fuuuuuuuck the Tangerine Dream score for Legend is good. I honestly like it better than the "real" score.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjyM2dS3X1I

I really wish Tangerine Dream and Vangelis would do film scores again, one of the best parts of GTA5 was the TD work on the score.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Professor Clumsy posted:

If I don't watch True Detective am I behind on the cultural conversation? Because I only just watched Breaking Bad.

I also just finished watching Breaking Bad, though I'm gonna watch True Detective next as a nice quick thing to get through before attempting to finally getting around to watching The Wire.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

axleblaze posted:

I also just finished watching Breaking Bad, though I'm gonna watch True Detective next as a nice quick thing to get through before attempting to finally getting around to watching The Wire.

How long is The Wire?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Professor Clumsy posted:

How long is The Wire?

60 one-hour eps (well, a couple run over that).

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Professor Clumsy posted:

How long is The Wire?

It looks like it's over 60 hours, and considering I'm pretty much only gonna be watching a few episodes once a week with a friend that also hasn't seen The Wire, it'll probably take me awhile.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Criminal Minded posted:

60 one-hour eps (well, a couple run over that).

Well, what else am I going to do? Lead a fulfilling life? Hardly.

Seriously, that's a lot of hours.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Professor Clumsy posted:

There are a lot of indoor kids here.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Professor Clumsy posted:

I watched it in less than three weeks. I also did not really do much else.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Professor Clumsy posted:

There's something to be said for not binging on a show. I tried to do that with X-Files and immediately regretted it, it's just not meant to be watched like that.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Apart from the money aspect, getting your wisdom teeth out is pretty dope. You get to sit around popping pain pills and eating mashed potatoes for like a week. Highly recommended.

I'm probably gonna need adult-rear end braces at some point though and I'm not looking forward to financing that poo poo.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Apart from the money aspect, getting your wisdom teeth out is pretty dope. You get to sit around popping pain pills and eating mashed potatoes for like a week. Highly recommended.

I'm probably gonna need adult-rear end braces at some point though and I'm not looking forward to financing that poo poo.

The weeks of spray-washing your tooth holes kind of sucks, though.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

The Wire is not on Netflix, so I probably won't be watching it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

morestuff posted:

The weeks of spray-washing your tooth holes kind of sucks, though.

A little bit, but I'm a body horror fan so I dug it.

Also I had to take some sort of steroid right after the operation and I got, like, cartoonishly angry about nothing for about an hour.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I distinctly remember my oral surgeon talking about how he went to juvie just after he turned the gas on. I've always wondered whether that was a hallucination or not.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Professor Clumsy posted:

Do you have Amazon Prime video in the UK? They should be adding that to it soon.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Professor Clumsy posted:

It is on amazon prime though

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Also I had to take some sort of steroid right after the operation and I got, like, cartoonishly angry about nothing for about an hour.

This was my reaction as well.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Criminal Minded posted:

This was my reaction as well.

It was hilarious in retrospect. Thankfully my girlfriend was a really good sport about it because apparently I was like "These painkillers aren't kicking in fast enough, this is bullshit! I can't eat ramen for a couple days? That's bullshit!" etc. But then like an hour later I was watching Godzilla movies and giggling.

As a Swans fan you might appreciate that I listened to Filth for the first time while really loopy on painkillers and basically had an out-of-body experience.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Slice if life: I have two more shifts left at the shop after tonight and it is disturbing how little if a gently caress I give right now. Like negative amounts of fucks. Other people are giving me fucks to compensate. It's great. I'm not doing poo poo. I'm tempted to close up and go buy a burger on the complete opposite end of the mall.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

As a Swans fan you might appreciate that I listened to Filth for the first time while really loopy on painkillers and basically had an out-of-body experience.

I've actually got some pretty strong muscle relaxers on hand for my back and have been blasting Have a Nice Life. Might have to do Swans next.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Literally The Worst posted:

I'm tempted to close up and go buy a burger on the complete opposite end of the mall.

The complete opposite end?

Look at this badass over here.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

You can get the entire series of the Wire on DVD pretty cheap. I did that and watched basically 2-3 episodes per evening for a few weeks. Didn't get a lot of sleep but TV beats sleep.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is indeed on Amazon, as you say, Prime.

So is Barb Wire, Bird on a Wire and Live Wire.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Just about every library has the Wire in my experience. poo poo's the canon now.

Also Clumsy, don't front like you haven't easily watched 60+ hours worth of dogshit movies voluntarily.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Was it Prednisone?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LesterGroans posted:

The complete opposite end?

Look at this badass over here.

I feel like locking up and spending twenty plus minutes getting food would be frowned upon.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Just about every library has the Wire in my experience. poo poo's the canon now.

Also Clumsy, don't front like you haven't easily watched 60+ hours worth of dogshit movies voluntarily.

The Dogshit movies are canon.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

I feel like locking up and spending twenty plus minutes getting food would be frowned upon.

Do it.

Or, to tie the thread together, lock up and spend the next 60 hours watching The Wire.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Professor Clumsy posted:

The Dogshit movies are canon.

The Dogshit 95 Manifesto is such a load of crap

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Dickeye, it's been nice watching your feelings toward your job begin at "this is the coolest thing ever" and slowly descend into "my life is a hellscape".

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Lord Krangdar posted:

Was it Prednisone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miSP9YwhktQ

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Anonymous Robot posted:

Dickeye, it's been nice watching your feelings toward your job begin at "this is the coolest thing ever" and slowly descend into "my life is a hellscape".

It's still the coolest job I've ever had that I didn't pay your mother ten bucks for, it's just also a blasted hell scape of sorrow and misery and I never want to so it again unless that place in Charlotte is hiring

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Sounds like you give a gently caress about what's frowned upon.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kramjacks posted:

Sounds like you give a gently caress about what's frowned upon.

I would like to be allowed back in the store at some point.

Also it's great to answer "do you have" with "did you look" and not care.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and be the rear end in a top hat in the room who calls it the best dramatic television serial of all time.

I wish Subg was here right now to throw some shade.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
I currently have season 2 of The Wire out from the library. Second time, and a different copy, because the middle disc of the last one was scratched enough to make 2 episodes unplayable. That sucked.

Also from the library and which I spent most of this morning reading after checking it out yesterday, Linda Ellerbee's memoir "And So it Goes": Adventures in Television. I forget where on this forum I heard about it – might have been the Slimed!/Nickelodeon thread, along with the stories of her engaging with some chucklefucks on some Internet forum – but it's good poo poo.

effectual posted:

Had a crazy dream last night. It was like Goodfellas 2 or something. Some of the old mobsters were at war because their territory was shrinking from asian and latin gangs. Then the last few alive finally made peace, and for some reason there was a british gang as well, whose top 2 guys were Bowie and Brosnan. Weird.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0150488/

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Coffee And Pie posted:

Slice of life: after my first trip to the dentist in years, I've learned I need two wisdom teeth removed, multiple root canals, and a few cavities too.

Go to the dentist regularly, people. Don't be a goddamned idiot like I am.

After having a couple fillings put in today, my dentist asked me to come back next week to touch up my two older fillings.

"Oh, well those shouldn't be too bad, right?"
"No," she said. "We pretty much have to take them out and completely redo them."

gently caress.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

DNS posted:

I wish Subg was here right now to throw some shade.

It's a clownish claim and SubG would probably justifiably clown on me for it. I wanna clown on myself for it really, because "dramatic television serial" includes Scenes From a Marriage and poo poo. I just really, really liked True Detective.

I'll settle for "best cop show," but even that is gonna get penismightier on my rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Man True Detective would have been so much better if it turned out to be a secret occult Lovecraftian thing. So disappointing.

• Locked thread