Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Captain Foo posted:

Why would u use checkpoint

the base licence and hardware is inexpensive

personally i'd advocate just buying palo alto if you want poo poo that works and isn't going to be hobbled in the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

Linguica posted:

was this logo designed by the CEO's kid who then died of cancer or something

are you implying the logo gave the kid cancer?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

sure, yes

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

another day, another bad intermediate CA

quote:

The intermediate CA certificates held by NIC were revoked on July 3, as noted above. But a root CA is responsible for all certificates issued under its authority. In light of this, in a future Chrome release, we will limit the India CCA root certificate to the following domains and subdomains thereof in order to protect users:

gov.in
nic.in
ac.in
rbi.org.in
bankofindia.co.in
ncode.in
tcs.co.in

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Alereon posted:

outside of thought experiment land if you are frequently or unwittingly executing untrusted code you are already owned and just dont know it yet. the people reading this thread dont open strange pdfs in adobe reader or browse without any mechanism to prevent strange plugins from running, so malware isnt going to magically appear on your machine without you going "hmm, this is probably a virus, should i run it? gently caress it yolo" run it through virustotal if you actually care and are unsure.

has pay av software ever saved your rear end on your personal machine?

anything connected to the internet is going to be executing arbitrary code at some point, through some plugin or means you didn't think of, and while stupid user behavior may account for a lot of it your browser and email are constantly exposed to sources of content that are downright filthy, typically through ad channels, all while doing completely valid things on the web. and yes, I have personally seen numerous occasions where either the heuristic definitions or HIPS rules have caught and stopped 0-day exploits or viruses that have not had specific signatures written for them, mostly on the corporate network but once or twice on my personal machine as well. until windows fully mandates folder and registry integrity levels (a function of UAC) to keep individual applications isolated from one another, the entire user space of a windows system is open game for viruses and malware and anti-virus software will continue to be a necessary evil. This poo poo isn't OSX and MS's legacy choices have hosed us all over.

BangersInMyKnickers fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 9, 2014

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
isn't it going to be great when it's your fridge and window blinds executing arbitrary code!

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
but it's okay they can post about it on facebook

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

anything connected to the internet is going to be executing arbitrary code at some point, through some plugin or means you didn't think of, and while stupid user behavior may account for a lot of it your browser and email are constantly exposed to sources of content that are downright filthy, typically through ad channels, all while doing completely valid things on the web. and yes, I have personally seen numerous occasions where either the heuristic definitions or HIPS rules have caught and stopped 0-day exploits or viruses that have not had specific signatures written for them, mostly on the corporate network but once or twice on my personal machine as well. until windows fully mandates folder and registry integrity levels (a function of UAC) to keep individual applications isolated from one another, the entire user space of a windows system is open game for viruses and malware and anti-virus software will continue to be a necessary evil. This poo poo isn't OSX and MS's legacy choices have hosed us all over.

Run ad-block and no-script, hth.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

so many sites full on break when you run no-script and disable cookies and poo poo, it's kinda funny, people cant even web janitor properly

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Share Bear posted:

so many sites full on break when you run no-script and disable cookies and poo poo, it's kinda funny, people cant even web janitor properly

after you learn what to whitelist and what not to it works pretty good

mtv network and gawker and the like may have conniptions but who loving cares why are you even looking at that :ninja:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
i remember sniggering at a talk at infosec or something in about 2004 where they were saying the future was separate virtual machines for web browsing, games, w/e

now i'm actually beginning to think it's a good idea, just literally sandbox the entire browser

gently caress it why stop at a virtual machine, put it on a raspberry pi buried in the hardware and just have input in and video out

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

goddamnedtwisto posted:

i remember sniggering at a talk at infosec or something in about 2004 where they were saying the future was separate virtual machines for web browsing, games, w/e

now i'm actually beginning to think it's a good idea, just literally sandbox the entire browser

gently caress it why stop at a virtual machine, put it on a raspberry pi buried in the hardware and just have input in and video out

HTML SoCs, HTML5 Accelerators, JS Co-Processors

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

What if Dropbox was designed by waffle images?
https://www.symform.com

It doesn't actually sound too risky but it does sound very silly.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

goddamnedtwisto posted:

sandboxing an individual application, what a novel idea that no OS does

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

now i'm actually beginning to think it's a good idea, just literally sandbox every tab and plugin instance

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Linguica posted:

sandboxing an individual application, what a novel idea that no OS does

at this point you may as well consider BSD non-existent. there are 3 operating systems, osx windows and linux

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

doesn't linux support sandboxing?

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

OS X is BSD in case you windows fags didn't know

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
the more relevant examples are android and ios

neither are really at the point of "randomly download and execute stuff from the internet". you'd need to tighten down the permission system a lot

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

suffix posted:

neither are really at the point of "randomly download and execute stuff from the internet". you'd need to tighten down the permission system a lot

close enough
https://discussions.apple.com/message/21852771

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

np

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

suffix posted:

the most relevant example is the browser because 'randomly downloading and executing stuff from the internet' is just 'clicking on random links' and that's a security model they explicitly support

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Squinty Applebottom posted:

OS X is BSD in case you windows fags didn't know

lol

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

http://aboutthebsds.wordpress.com/2013/01/13/freebsd-jails-are-a-huge-security-danger/

i found this while searching to see if linux could do jails

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

The ability to launch the store from a bad ad is kind of scary, really. remember it would pop open with a specific app shown. because the ad didn't just launch the App Store, it told the App Store what to do.
While I'm not super familiar with ios security, I assume the App Store App can do more than a typical app. and here almost anyone on the Internet can go throw some data into it.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

this blog is the most shsc poo poo

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

The ability to launch the store from a bad ad is kind of scary, really. remember it would pop open with a specific app shown. because the ad didn't just launch the App Store, it told the App Store what to do.
While I'm not super familiar with ios security, I assume the App Store App can do more than a typical app. and here almost anyone on the Internet can go throw some data into it.
isnt that just a registered URI handler or the equivalent? you can do the same thing with steam:// links. on most platforms the user would get prompted if they want to open the app, does android if you use the google browser or does it just open the apps page in the play store?

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
android asks if you want the play store app (or the youtube app or the awful app or whatever) the first time you select an appropriate url, and you have the option of saying "always open the app from now on", which most people do

it can't auto install anything, all it can do is take you to the app listing

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
a second snowden has hit the tower

quote:

http://www.wired.com/2014/07/greenwald-q-a/

WIRED: But you did tweet that it seems clear there is a second source.

GG: Exactly, and I stand by that. I mean the reason I said it seems clear—even that’s like a little amorphous—is because of the way both the Der Spiegel article and this latest article said nothing about the sourcing.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Alereon posted:

isnt that just a registered URI handler or the equivalent? you can do the same thing with steam:// links. on most platforms the user would get prompted if they want to open the app, does android if you use the google browser or does it just open the apps page in the play store?

Remember when a security thread got nuked because we used a img tag thing?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Alereon posted:

yes, the same handler gets invoked on desktop to take you to mac/iTunes App Store pages if you have those installed

I think the same thing works for chrome App Store and Play store on desktop (although I guess for play store it's just a regular old URL)

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

ultramiraculous posted:

a second snowden has hit the tower

hasn't this been a known thing for a while though, that someone else had leaked to der spiegel about the new toys and the targeting of TOR users?

ed - greenwald is probably just grumpy that they didn't come to him so he could keep up his self-aggrandizement campaign.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

uncurable mlady posted:

hasn't this been a known thing for a while though, that someone else had leaked to der spiegel about the new toys and the targeting of TOR users?

ed - greenwald is probably just grumpy that they didn't come to him so he could keep up his self-aggrandizement campaign.
it's been murmured about for a while and now it's a slow news day people are focusing on it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

uncurable mlady posted:

considering the last few days it wouldn't surprise me if it was the BND

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

uncurable mlady posted:

well yeah but the only things I've seen leaked are some scraps of fairly generic code which people have decided means that the nsa are going to kill them all for searching for tor

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

well yeah but the only things I've seen leaked are some scraps of fairly generic code which people have decided means that the nsa are going to kill them all for searching for tor

That or rape their children.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Zombywuf posted:

That or rape their children.

:black101:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

yeah and realistically anyone could have made that code, so we don't even know of it's from the nsa

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

spankmeister posted:

yeah and realistically anyone could have made that code, so we don't even know of it's from the nsa

I wondered about this, is there a reason this 'leak' gets so much credibility?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

What if Dropbox was designed by waffle images?
https://www.symform.com

It doesn't actually sound too risky but it does sound very silly.

so wait i can get loads of free cloud storage and all i need to do is leave a computer running somewhere with all of these lovely old IDE maxtors in it? Sign me the gently caress up

• Locked thread