Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

LiquidRain posted:

Same board here - according to a quickly shot, commentless Youtube video, our boards can now overclock, including the Pentium Anniversary Edition and Devil's Canyon. Guess that means it's an i5-4690k for me, yay! I plan on buying at the end of the month with my paycheque. Want me to let you know what happens?

Ohh crazy, guess they just dont mention it in the bios notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Pentium GOTY Anniversary Edition overclocking
Spoiler: It's very fast when overclocked.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Haha the fps in Crysis rules

I mean its living up to what we imagined, but its nice to see charts and graphs about it. 4.8 ghz $75 cpu :snoop:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

mobby_6kl posted:

I've been talking up these Pentiums to friends for budget gaming and HTPC builds. Well, I put my money where my mouth was, lets see how this thing does. I got that Pentium + an MSI Z97 motherboard for $99 together. I think this might be the best $100 I've ever spent towards computer building. This Microcenter deal is only being advertised during their email list and apparently I was the first one at my store to use it, the cashier couldn't understand how a $110 motherboard and $70 CPU ring up together under $100.

http://www.microcenter.com/site/brands/G3258Bundle.aspx

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Jesus. Report back if the motherboard bursts into flames.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Alereon posted:

Jesus. Report back if the motherboard bursts into flames.

That's what I'm expecting, with how cheap this was I'm going to aim for 1.45V because I don't really care if it dies. I've always overclocked really conservatively, this is new and exciting.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Delid it like you don't give a gently caress before you even power it on :P

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

... Wow that is quite a deal. gently caress I want to buy it for no reason at all

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
If we had Microcenters around here I would already have one for everyone I know.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Heh, I've actually been pondering that deal too. I've been holding off on buying the 4790K + Maximus VII GENE because all the CPUs my local MC has were L3 batch units (that and my co-worker who I'm selling my 2500K system to hasn't taken it yet), and I'm tempted to just getting one of these and see how far I can take it. The main reason that I haven't is that I don't know what I would do with it once I actually do get the 4790K - I already have an i3 3225 + H77N mITX board that I have have to invent a use for (turn into a dedicated HTPC instead of just using my gaming PC that's already hooked up to the TV).

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Yeah I'm buying it just to buy it. I'm sure someone I know has a use for it

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That deal is nuts. I'm going to stop at Microcenter tomorrow to pick one up. I don't even know what I'm going to use it for.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I feel retarded. I just bought everything I needed:

- 430 watt xfx
- xfx 280
- 8 gb (2133 gskill was the cheapest thing I can find? :wtc:)
- 1 TB blue
- that motherboard + pentium tomorrow

It's going to come out to $500 flat since I have an antec 300 to throw all this into. I have zero need for this computer. I didn't get a cooler but I'll pick one up after seeing how well it does on the stock one

So for gaming, this computer will probably look just as good at 1080p as mine does at 1440p, at less than the cost of my video card

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 10, 2014

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Wowzers. It really gave the boots to the 8350 at that price.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

El Scotch posted:

Wowzers. It really gave the boots to the 8350 at that price.

To be fair a Core 2 Quad that's been overclocked probably does

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Already sold the whole build before I got a single part :snoop:

I'll use it for one day and overclock it and see how it runs. Gives me an excuse to buy my GPU AIO too so I can use it on the Pentium

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Ignorant speculation: I think a version of the Pentium AE with Hyper-Threading would have smoked the FX processor even harder and would have been a revolutionary standard for price-performance in the mainstream, too much of a value for Intel to allow to happen :tinfoil:

basically i wanna overclock an i3

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Ignorant speculation: I think a version of the Pentium AE with Hyper-Threading would have smoked the FX processor even harder and would have been a revolutionary standard for price-performance in the mainstream, too much of a value for Intel to allow to happen :tinfoil:

basically i wanna overclock an i3

I have no idea if it really costs money for a processor to be hyperthreaded or not, but this is definitely within reason I'd say.

Got the last one :coal:. It is almost unbelievable I got this at a store for $100. The kraken cost exactly the same - lol

By the way, thank you Twerk from Home :)

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 10, 2014

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

1gnoirents posted:

Got the last one :coal:.

By the way, thank you Twerk from Home :)

Sure thing! My store still had 6 of the motherboards and 8 of the CPUs, I've been letting my friends know and we are slowly but surely cleaning them out.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

The thing sure feels like a $100 motherboard just taking it out of the box. But if it works it works

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Rough overclock on my $100 mobo/cpu deal

Sacrilege

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 11, 2014

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Pic of computer is too big and desk top pic is too small. What water cooler is that?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

It's a Kraken X40 I bought at the same time for the GPU in the pic, just used it on the Pentium to test this mobo/cpu out. I'll see how it does with the factory cooler later and box it up. From my very short time with this setup I have a strong feeling the motherboard is the limitation here. Unless it's particularly responsive reporting voltage changes it varies a lot above 1.30v. Also I had to update the bios to even be allowed to go above 1.299, and it turned into very angry red text when I did. I guess I'm not surprised since this motherboard is probably going to be in the $80 range

I'll be settling on probably around a 1.250 vcore and seeing what I can get out of that. I promised the guy 4.4 ghz and I don't think that will be a problem. Overall I'm impressed. Can't think of anything else that performs quite this well (for games) for this cost even at nearly fully price. For $100 I am blown away

I am also very pleased with the BIOS and update utility from MSI. Just kicks Gigabyte's rear end, at least my generation. So pleasing to use.

Also:

edit: If you count rebates you can get this from newegg for $69 right now and the processor for $72, I think it's probably worth every penny if you had a need

Also I dont want to seem too gushy about this, it is a 2 core processor and I did notice immediate downsides to this in general desktop use. Plus at near full price you can be approaching i3 range. And despite running 200mhz faster here than my 4670k, it is slower at single threaded benchmarks (superpi) than it. Maybe cache? I have no idae. However it runs very cool and overclocks easy as hell so I think this really does have a niche (wasn't very sure about this a week ago).

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 11, 2014

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Still cant read the cpuz screenshot.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

r0ck0 posted:

Still cant read the cpuz screenshot.

Click on the top left corner twice. I was crazy tired and didn't resize it in a way that SA doesn't have a two step process to make it big. It's 4.7 ghz and 1.373 volts, not great, but it was stable. I had to really push some vcore above a certain point which I believe is the motherboard's issue more than anything. A very nice part about this processor is how cool it runs at these voltages. It runs almost exactly as well (I mean, degree for degree almost) at this voltage as my delidded 4670k

Also I wasn't clear, but literally everything in that picture cost the same as or (much...) more than the CPU/mobo. Even the ram cost the same lol. It's the weirdest thing I've personally put together for sure

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 11, 2014

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
I decided to use this cheap Pentium combo as an opportunity to hold off on buying a 4790K (since they don't seem to be universally great OCers and playing batch lottery is annoying) and just get one of them and see how far I can OC it to tide me until Haswell-E, at which point I'll revisit and either get the entry-level unlocked model of that, or continue waiting for Broadwell (or even Skylake). Since I upgraded my workstation to an i7 4770K, the lower multi-threaded CPU performance for my gaming PC won't matter too much (though Civ: Beyond Earth might change that).

Will pick it up tomorrow and see where I get with it.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
What does everyone think of the 4690, and do I need a z97 board if i am not overclocking or getting a k version of the 4690?

wargames fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 12, 2014

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

wargames posted:

What does everyone think of the 4690, and do I need a z97 board if i am not overclocking or getting a k version of the 4690?

It's a good cpu and no you don't.
PC Building, Upgrading, and Parts Picking: Everything is pretty fast now (except AMD)

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

too much of a value for Intel to allow to happen :tinfoil:

The unwashed masses weren't the only ones that learned from the Celeron 300A many, many moons ago.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

GokieKS posted:

I decided to use this cheap Pentium combo as an opportunity to hold off on buying a 4790K (since they don't seem to be universally great OCers and playing batch lottery is annoying) and just get one of them and see how far I can OC it to tide me until Haswell-E, at which point I'll revisit and either get the entry-level unlocked model of that, or continue waiting for Broadwell (or even Skylake). Since I upgraded my workstation to an i7 4770K, the lower multi-threaded CPU performance for my gaming PC won't matter too much (though Civ: Beyond Earth might change that).

Will pick it up tomorrow and see where I get with it.

I'm very impressed for gaming. The main downside I've seen so far is a little screen tearing. I don't know why that'd be. The fps is generally a bit lower online but it's nothing to be worried about considering the cost.

It's actually pretty drat embarrassing how well this does compared to my main cpu. I'm not a huge fan of the motherboard I guess, but again, at the cost...

I know what CPU I'd get on the cheap to tide me over if I break mine that's for sure

edit: Probably wasnt the best idea to drop a new chipset and CPU in my computer then reverting back to the old chipset and CPU. Looks like another reinstall ...

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jul 13, 2014

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
PIcked up the G3258 combo. I don't have a decent HSF for it (still trying to decide if I want to just build the custom loop that I can use with my next proper build, or just get a basic one like an 212 EVO) so decided to see what I could get with just the stock HSF. Easily reached 4.4 @ 1.2V, but would get above 85 C almost as soon as I started Prime95. Dropped it down to 4.2 @ 1.175V, and it maxes out at about 85, so it's usable enough for the time being.

I can't seem to get Speedstep to work though. Checked all the relevant settings I could find in the BIOS (EIST enabled, CPU ratio dynamic, C1E and C states enabled), but it never budges from the max frequency.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Fabulousity posted:

The unwashed masses weren't the only ones that learned from the Celeron 300A many, many moons ago.

The 300A was a CPU at a place where the planets aligned perfectly with insane Pentium II/III prices, Intel going overboard with revitalizing the Celeron reputation with integrated L2 cache, "crippled" stock 66MHz FSB breaking no sweat at 100MHz with the best chipset of all time: the 440BX.

2nd place will go to 3GHz+ E6300/6400 for $180/220, easily fast enough to last till Sandy Bridge.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I grabbed the G3258 bundle at Microcenter and I am super happy with it. It is replacing a Lynnfield i7 and ATi 6650 for a bedroom HTPC. It uses half the power and gives me a better video playback experience. :toot:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

mayodreams posted:

I grabbed the G3258 bundle at Microcenter and I am super happy with it. It is replacing a Lynnfield i7 and ATi 6650 for a bedroom HTPC. It uses half the power and gives me a better video playback experience. :toot:

Stock ?

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Yeah. I literally threw it in there with Intel HSF, ram, Windows 7, and drivers. Intel graphics are really good at MPEG2 at this point, and that is what you get out of a Cable Card tuner today. I use the Silicon Dust HD Homerun Prime that has 3 tuners, and then a HTPC in the living room running on a Kaveri A10 (love it!) and this one replaces the older one in my bedroom, which is just for live TV, recorded TV from the primary HTPC, and for XBMC for other file based content.

The Pentium G3258 / Z97 board with 8GB of ram and a Corsair SSD runs about 30W at idle and 35W watching tv, which is about half that of the i7 and discreet GPU. Even with the same SSD, this drat thing boots so fast it blew my mind. Easily 5-7 seconds verses 20-30 for the P55. Speaks about how much better the chipsets are now too I guess.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
You would probably get a better experience pulling the videocard and using the onboard video. Intel's video capabilities should be much better than an old low-end card.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I am using the on board gfx on the new build. My ramblings probably didn't make that very clear. :v:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I didnt even consider the fact that had integrated graphics as well

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

GokieKS posted:

PIcked up the G3258 combo. I don't have a decent HSF for it (still trying to decide if I want to just build the custom loop that I can use with my next proper build, or just get a basic one like an 212 EVO) so decided to see what I could get with just the stock HSF. Easily reached 4.4 @ 1.2V, but would get above 85 C almost as soon as I started Prime95. Dropped it down to 4.2 @ 1.175V, and it maxes out at about 85, so it's usable enough for the time being.

I can't seem to get Speedstep to work though. Checked all the relevant settings I could find in the BIOS (EIST enabled, CPU ratio dynamic, C1E and C states enabled), but it never budges from the max frequency.

I just read over this again and while I despise the Intel cooler it shouldn't be doing that badly at that voltage. Is it tight? I've run my 4670k pre-delid at 1.20 vcore and 4.2 with the stock cooler and was probably able to touch the 80's if I remember. But this CPU is seriously amazingly cooler running than that situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

1gnoirents posted:

I just read over this again and while I despise the Intel cooler it shouldn't be doing that badly at that voltage. Is it tight? I've run my 4670k pre-delid at 1.20 vcore and 4.2 with the stock cooler and was probably able to touch the 80's if I remember. But this CPU is seriously amazingly cooler running than that situation.

It's on there tight. But I didn't even replace the TIM on the stock HSF. I'm going to go pick up a Cooler Master Glacer 240L (upgraded Swiftech H220) tomorrow and see where that gets me.

And I still can't get SpeedStep to work, which is starting to bother me.