Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Godzilla is bullshit because Nevada will never allow Yucca Mountain to go operational in their lovely barren hell hole of a state. At least the finns are down as gently caress with nukes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
gayzilla attacks san fran!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

We haven't come up with a proposal metal enough to keep people away for 10,000 years.

http://www.damninteresting.com/this-place-is-not-a-place-of-honor/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Interference_Task_Force

The idea of an "atomic priesthood" is interesting. Somebody watched Beneath the Planet of the Apes too many times.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Bolow posted:

Godzilla is bullshit because Nevada will never allow Yucca Mountain to go operational in their lovely barren hell hole of a state. At least the finns are down as gently caress with nukes

Yucca will go online once Harry Reed dies, but not until then.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

We haven't come up with a proposal metal enough to keep people away for 10,000 years.

http://www.damninteresting.com/this-place-is-not-a-place-of-honor/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Interference_Task_Force

The idea of an "atomic priesthood" is interesting. Somebody watched Beneath the Planet of the Apes too many times.

We need to just encase it in a barrier with a single airlock-style entryway underground. Where there's no way anyone accidently goes in there. If they enter and cycle the airlock, they're flooded with the radiation from inside and can stroll around in there as much as they want until they start falling apart a few minutes later.

I'm calling it the Darwin Disposal Facility, and put a sign out front that says Republican National Convention.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Three of our lovely threads got more shitted up, so I'm getting back at you by posting content. :mad:

Seriously. Whip, why are you and Nice terrified of FYAD's rejects and a few GBS superstars?

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Booblord Zagats posted:

Seriously. Whip, why are you and Nice terrified of FYAD's rejects and a few GBS superstars?

Because they're not really doing anything offensive... yet. :shrug:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
cops just get fidgety around minorites, its a natural reflex developed in the line of segway duty

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

cops just get fidgety around minorites, its a natural reflex developed in the line of segway duty

Yeah but do we really want the alternative

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

smertrioslol posted:

Yeah but do we really want the alternative

People being alive? No, not really.

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Go ahead, I'll wait. :allears:

I'm probating you if your answer involves Chernobyl, Three Mile Island, or Fukushima

Like I said, I'm not sufficiently interested in energy policy outside national security/international relations to give it the effort it deserves. People will gently caress up, nuclear fuckups tend to be bad for stuff, but so is hydro power. And anyone who says any one of the options for powering a nation is not going to gently caress some poo poo up somewhere is a loving shill. Overall I'd think nuclear is one of the better options, and has killed far fewer than oil&gas. Fraking however poses special concerns, and I don't think we will be able to fully exploit the resources available without loving something we don't want hosed.

But just since I like you; Chernobyl, Three Mile Island, Fukushima, Godzilla.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Courthouse posted:

Like I said, I'm not sufficiently interested in energy policy outside national security/international relations to give it the effort it deserves. People will gently caress up, nuclear fuckups tend to be bad for stuff, but so is hydro power. And anyone who says any one of the options for powering a nation is not going to gently caress some poo poo up somewhere is a loving shill. Overall I'd think nuclear is one of the better options, and has killed far fewer than oil&gas. Fraking however poses special concerns, and I don't think we will be able to fully exploit the resources available without loving something we don't want hosed.

ban this sick filth

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Coal-fire power stations kill more people each year than all uses of nuclear power ever have (including the 2 bombs.) A quarter million a year in China alone http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/dec/12/china-coal-emissions-smog-deaths

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

Coal-fire power stations kill more people each year than all uses of nuclear power ever have (including the 2 bombs.) A quarter million a year in China alone http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/dec/12/china-coal-emissions-smog-deaths

If babies didn't want to breath smog, they'd learn to crawl earlier.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Courthouse posted:

Nuke him.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Courthouse posted:

drat. I even gave you the answer. Enjoy the probation, I guess.

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

drat. I even gave you the answer. Enjoy the probation, I guess.

I could have just gone through all that poo poo, but people can wikipedia it themselves. And I didn't want to blueball him with some uncharacteristic constructive posting. Also, I'm a minority and he'll get me eventually anyways.

Plus, there's nothing interesting worth posting about right now unless you count Kiev demanding Putin give back the Ukrainian navy's attack dolphins.

Courthouse fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 8, 2014

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

In other news, the former Soviet foreign minister that helped to herald in perestroika and later became a corrupt despot for Georgia passed away. How many old soviet leaders are still left, I can't imagine there's too many still hanging around.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Not enough, is the answer. Does Putin count as he cut his teeth before Yeltsin came and ruined everything.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I don't think Putin really counts, he wasn't a big player until he took over the FSB. I mean he was a Lt. Col. for the KGB but that's not really a big policymaker like a foreign minister is.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Those radiation waste articles are metal as gently caress

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Whip Slagcheek posted:

In other news, the former Soviet foreign minister that helped to herald in perestroika and later became a corrupt despot for Georgia passed away. How many old soviet leaders are still left, I can't imagine there's too many still hanging around.

Gorby's still around.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Zeroisanumber posted:

Gorby's still around.

Might as well pump 50k volts in Lenin's waxy rear end.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Might as well pump 50k volts in Lenin's waxy rear end.

Wonder if he will do the cossack dance

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

orange juche posted:

Wonder if he will do the cossack dance

simpsonssovietparade.gif

NTT posted:

Those radiation waste articles are metal as gently caress

That's gotta be some Indiana Jones Temple Of Doom warehouse poo poo to walk around in. Hanford in general is a pretty incomprehensible place.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/veteran-dies-waiting-for-ambulance-in-va-hospital-in-new-mexico/

quote:

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -- A veteran who collapsed in an Albuquerque Veterans Affairs hospital cafeteria, 500 yards from the emergency room, died after waiting 30 minutes for an ambulance, officials confirmed Thursday.

Officials at the hospital said it took a half an hour for the ambulance to be dispatched and take the man from one building to the other, which is about a five minute walk.

VA spokeswoman Sonja Brown said Kirtland Air Force Medical Group personnel performed CPR until the ambulance arrived.

She says staff followed policy in calling 911 when the man collapsed on Monday. "Our policy is under expedited review," Brown said.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Egon Krenz, the guy that was in charge when East Germany imploded spends most of his time these days hanging out at an ice cream shop in Dierhagen waxing poetic about the good old days and defending his regime to anyone who'll listen.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

The VA policy of waiting for an ambulance to take a guy two doors down is pretty much standard across the whole healthcare industry. Generally it leads to the best outcome because the last thing that I want is a clerk with zero medical training making medical decisions. That said, a 30 minute response time on a "person down, unresponsive" call is really dogshit, and I have no idea what the facility is like, but I'm surprised that they couldn't scrounge up a nurse and a wheelchair sometime within that half-hour.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Zeroisanumber posted:

The VA policy of waiting for an ambulance to take a guy two doors down is pretty much standard across the whole healthcare industry. Generally it leads to the best outcome because the last thing that I want is a clerk with zero medical training making medical decisions. That said, a 30 minute response time on a "person down, unresponsive" call is really dogshit, and I have no idea what the facility is like, but I'm surprised that they couldn't scrounge up a nurse and a wheelchair sometime within that half-hour.

I would think they are required to have a code team or a fast react team.

If not then what the gently caress... Its a god drat hospital. They should.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Genocide Tendency posted:

I would think they are required to have a code team or a fast react team.

If not then what the gently caress... Its a god drat hospital. They should.

It comes down to liability. While you do want to do the best that you can for anyone who needs help in your facility, you don't want there to be a legal presupposition that everyone who walks through your door is a patient. Also, there's a good chance that whatever's wrong with the patient might be better handled at another hospital, and your average paramedic is pretty good at figuring that out.

That said, if I'd been one of the jackoffs just standing around in line I'd probably have gotten a couple other dudes to help me carry him to the ED. At the very least it gets him on oxygen and shaves a couple of minutes off of response time.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
There's a kind of poetry in a veteran who dies because a vehicle wasn't dispatched.

They couldn't drive the ambulance. At the hospital.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Zeroisanumber posted:

It comes down to liability. While you do want to do the best that you can for anyone who needs help in your facility, you don't want there to be a legal presupposition that everyone who walks through your door is a patient. Also, there's a good chance that whatever's wrong with the patient might be better handled at another hospital, and your average paramedic is pretty good at figuring that out.

That said, if I'd been one of the jackoffs just standing around in line I'd probably have gotten a couple other dudes to help me carry him to the ED. At the very least it gets him on oxygen and shaves a couple of minutes off of response time.

I worked at a hospital as a security guard for a little while and they were pretty fanatical about having a procedure in place for these kind of situations. Alerts go off and people haul rear end. I guess I'm skeptical that there are professionals all over the place who give a poo poo that a guy who collapses in the cafeteria was only there for lunch and wasn't a formally admitted patient.

edit: Article is light on details and I dont have time to look into it right now- if the staff was instructed to call 911 I'm guessing there's more of a disconnect between the facilities than a mere "500 yards" physical one. My anecdote probably doesn't apply.

Victor Vermis fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 9, 2014

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Victor Vermis posted:

I worked at a hospital as a security guard for a little while and they were pretty fanatical about having a procedure in place for these kind of situations. Alerts go off and people haul rear end. I guess I'm skeptical that there are professionals all over the place who give a poo poo that a guy who collapses in the cafeteria was only there for lunch and wasn't a formally admitted patient.

edit: Article is light on details and I dont have time to look into it right now- if the staff was instructed to call 911 I'm guessing there's more of a disconnect between the facilities than a mere "500 yards" physical one. My anecdote probably doesn't apply.

It's not that they don't care, or that people weren't working to save the guy, it's just procedure. You don't want staff moving people or trying to render aid that they aren't trained to provide. So you keep it dirt simple (CPR) and tell them to call 911.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Zeroisanumber posted:

It's not that they don't care, or that people weren't working to save the guy, it's just procedure. You don't want staff moving people or trying to render aid that they aren't trained to provide. So you keep it dirt simple (CPR) and tell them to call 911.

If your code/react teams aren't able to move people by gurney or render aid to someone...

I guess if they had their own vehicle available 24/7 and a plan in place to always go to that option because the cafeteria is a separate facility I could see how the ball would be dropped on redundancy.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
To be fair the old guy probably had as much a chance at survival just being on the ground compared to having VA medical personnel try to help him.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Isn't that the VA hospital responsible for all the current bad press?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I repeat: the VA is skilcraft for medicine.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Like I get liability and procedure and poo poo but if calling 911 for an ambulance is the procedure you come up with for old-rear end people collapsing anywhere inside a VA hospital then you've really hosed up. I'm just shocked this hasn't already been happening every month.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Like I get liability and procedure and poo poo but if calling 911 for an ambulance is the procedure you come up with for old-rear end people collapsing anywhere inside a VA hospital then you've really hosed up. I'm just shocked this hasn't already been happening every month.

I hate to break it to you homes, but odds are that almost everyone who posts in GiP will one day collapse and die while waiting to fill out paperwork at the VA. Best thing that you can hope for is that your last sight isn't some pimple-faced intern shoving his mouth over yours and trying to breathe chipotle-stink oxygen into your lungs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Zeroisanumber posted:

I hate to break it to you homes, but odds are that almost everyone who posts in GiP will one day collapse and die while waiting to fill out paperwork at the VA. Best thing that you can hope for is that your last sight isn't some pimple-faced intern shoving his mouth over yours and trying to breathe chipotle-stink oxygen into your lungs.

I can only hope

• Locked thread