Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

CPL593H posted:

There's a series of these that are pretty great. It's a bunch of old thrift store paintings that people added silly creatures too.

http://twistedsifter.com/2012/04/adding-monsters-to-thrift-store-paintings/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

God drat, I want at least one of these framed and hung up in my house.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

So I was browsing OkCupid just now and came across a girl who had the following listed for her favorite movies:

"Movies: Lord of the Rings, School of Rock, Pocahontas, Mulan, Artistocats, Mean Girls, Chinatown, High School Musical, Titicut Follies, This is Us, The Hunger Games"

Mad props to the person who casually tosses Titicut Follies in between High School Musical and the One Direction movie.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TrixRabbi posted:

So I was browsing OkCupid just now and came across a girl who had the following listed for her favorite movies:

"Movies: Lord of the Rings, School of Rock, Pocahontas, Mulan, Artistocats, Mean Girls, Chinatown, High School Musical, Titicut Follies, This is Us, The Hunger Games"

Mad props to the person who casually tosses Titicut Follies in between High School Musical and the One Direction movie.
:stare:

So you messaged her, right?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

:stare:

So you messaged her, right?

Yeah, we're talking about John Waters right now.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TrixRabbi posted:

Yeah, we're talking about John Waters right now.
This relationship is already going places :unsmith:

Keep us updated!

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Any of you ever have days where you want to watch a movie but you just can't find anything you feel like watching?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

God, I forgot how great Brian Blessed is in I Claudius.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

TrixRabbi posted:

Any of you ever have days where you want to watch a movie but you just can't find anything you feel like watching?

Ask your new ladyfriend. :getin:

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

TrixRabbi posted:

No because Robocop

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
Yaphet Kotto chat: Band owns. I think all their LPs are for sale on discogs for like $10 each. But no one buy them because I want them and have no money right now.

Shame the actor, who also owns, was in the worst Nightmare on Elm Street movie. It's pretty hosed up that the only movie he's been in in the last 20 years was a Larry the Cable Guy movie.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Speaking of crime shows, I kind of want to get the Hill Street Blues complete set, but I can't justify it despite it being one of the canonical works of TV- I just can't see it holding up particularly well despite me loving old TV.

It's weird that old TV comedy seems to hold up much better than old TV drama. Like, who the hell is watching Gunsmoke these days or whatever?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Speaking of crime shows, I kind of want to get the Hill Street Blues complete set, but I can't justify it despite it being one of the canonical works of TV- I just can't see it holding up particularly well despite me loving old TV.

It's weird that old TV comedy seems to hold up much better than old TV drama. Like, who the hell is watching Gunsmoke these days or whatever?

Watch Naked City.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Gunsmoke rules I suggest you watch it whenever you can.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think I'm going to watch a bunch of Barney Millers and pretend that counts as a gritty cop drama.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Naked City holds up better than the following shows:

- All.

It's a classic New York School acting paradise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI4T5j3rO80

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

penismightier posted:

Watch Naked City.

Yeah I was a bit too encompassing in that statement- stuff like that or anthology dramas (I did a watch of Route 66 a while back and loved it) are still interesting because they don't particularly resemble today's tv- HSB is probably like, the single most influential TV drama of the past, oh, forty years or so, which means that it's the sort of thing that's hard to appreciate because of how much the shows that followed it resembled it.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Uh better than Twilight Zone? No. I mean I know it's popular so it's automatically not as good as a less popular thing but no

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Also of the big three TV drama titans of the 80s, I get the feeling that my actual favorite is St. Elsewhere, which still doesn't have a proper release. (the other big one was LA Law, which, ehh, s'alright.)

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

FishBulb posted:

Uh better than Twilight Zone? No. I mean I know it's popular so it's automatically not as good as a less popular thing but no

Twilight Zone doesn't count because it is perfect. Now shut up.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Yeah I was a bit too encompassing in that statement- stuff like that or anthology dramas (I did a watch of Route 66 a while back and loved it) are still interesting because they don't particularly resemble today's tv- HSB is probably like, the single most influential TV drama of the past, oh, forty years or so, which means that it's the sort of thing that's hard to appreciate because of how much the shows that followed it resembled it.

What are some good Route 66 episodes? I couldn't get into it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

penismightier posted:

What are some good Route 66 episodes? I couldn't get into it.

I'd say the first half of the third season was what I perceived as the series' peak, if that helps. It has, admittedly, been a while.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

At the end of The Shield I felt ridiculously satisfied. I hope The Wire does the same thing Breaking Bad and even True Detective failed to do in that regard.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

penismightier posted:

God, I forgot how great Brian Blessed is in I Claudius.

Yeah BRIAN BLESSED is the poo poo in that. Also everyone else in I, Claudius.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Tars Tarkas posted:

Gunsmoke rules I suggest you watch it whenever you can.

Seconding this. It's a good show to watch whenever you have an hour to kill because there are a loving boatload of episodes, continuity is non-existent or nearly so, and you'll recognize some actors in it. Each episode is basically a good Western movie, but shorter!

My favorite is the one which opens on some town where dozens of people are just fighting each other in the street in the middle of the night and the town safe is kept in the middle of the saloon.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Also if you're mainly hoping to get satisfying endings out of TV drama, you're in the wrong medium entirely.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Dissapointed Owl posted:

At the end of The Shield I felt ridiculously satisfied. I hope The Wire does the same thing Breaking Bad and even True Detective failed to do in that regard.

People give the last season a bit of poo poo for being unrealistic (or at least, tonally out of step with the previous seasons), but yes on the whole the finale is very satisfying. At least, as satisfying as you could expect from something like The Wire.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So, General Ironicus, I dunno if I agree with you about Michael Cera winning a Tony next year, if only because I think Kieran Culkin is much more deserving.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Krazyface posted:

People give the last season a bit of poo poo for being unrealistic (or at least, tonally out of step with the previous seasons),

What, like Oz?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
e: double post

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jul 10, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just watched Jodorowsky's Dune. Christ, that sounded like the most ambitious film ever :stare:

Fortunately some of its concepts were used in other movies and he got to make that comic series with Moebius, so it's not like all of his work in the planning stages was for nothing.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

TrixRabbi posted:

I'm pretty sure there's been at least one time where I spent more time trying to find a movie to watch on Netflix/Hulu/Amazon than I actually spent watching whatever it was I eventually settled on.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My roommate had never seen this clip before, so I'm gonna post it here because it's my single favorite Kanye West moment of all time. It's amazing for his barely being able to hold it together, and then his complete clarity when he says the now infamous quote.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

I always feel bad for Mike Myers when I see that clip

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I just feel bad.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm still kind if pissed that he apologized for saying that.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

morestuff posted:

I just feel bad.

that too

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
That clip is the best thing Mike Myers has done since Wayne's World 2.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TrixRabbi posted:

There's some amazing whiplash going on in those choices "Mean Girls, Chinatown, High School Musical, Titicut Follies, This is Us"

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Your matches are polyamorous for different movie genres, mine are just plain polyamorous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I always feel bad for Mike Myers when I see that clip

http://www.gq.com/entertainment/celebrities/201406/mike-myers

quote:

It's weird to think that for a certain generation the moment they may most readily associate you with in recent years is when Kanye West said "George Bush doesn't care about black people (YT: Kanye West Hurricane Katrina)Click to play video inline." on the Katrina telethon while you were standing next to him looking a little...well, I don't know how to describe you.
Surprised.

And a bit uncomfortable, maybe?
Yes.

Do you remember what you were thinking as he said it?
I don't do many things. And I remember watching the television and seeing, because I'm a citizen now, my fellow citizens on the roofs of buildings dying. And I turned into my father, where my dad would shout at the TV. My dad hated injustice. I've been called for many, many telethons, hither and yon, and I remember just being so upset and feeling, ironically, that if this was white people on roofs, the army would be there in five seconds. And these are my fellow citizens, who just happen to be people of color, sitting on roofs for multiple days. So when they called me I said, "Yeah, I'll do it." I went there specifically because I wanted to help the Red Cross. I was supposed to be by myself, and I was, like, "fine", then they said "Do you mind doing it with somebody else?" And I always remembered that Live Aid thing of "leave your egos at the door", so I said, "Sure, of course." And they said, "Would you do it with Kanye West?" and I said, "Uh, sure." I actually wasn't familiar with his work. And then he said he was going to take some liberties with the thing.

So he gave you kind of a warning.
Yes, but I didn't know that the liberty would be calling out the president.

[...]
I'm, like, super proud to have been next to him. The look on my face is...to be honest with you, I thought I handled it well. I was like "This is what's happening..." Because live TV is my milieu, and improv is my training, you know. It has been painful that the culture has at times meditated on my surprise, when it's really the message, dude.

• Locked thread