Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Almost forgot this thread existed and that I posted in it.

Started Six Feet Under and after watching the pilot im pretty excited to see how it all pans out. I had no idea it was going to be a dark comedy. "Were putting the FUN back in FUNERAL" had me lose my poo poo. Definitely too early for me to judge, but I'll definitely give a quick review once I finish the first season. Glad I chose this show for a toxx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ravane posted:

Currently on episode 5 of season 1 of LOST. It's actually really good! My favorite characters are Saayid, Locke, and mentally challenged guy from Hannibal.

Bravo! (I can't be bothered to look up the smilie how do people even remember the smilies on here anyway?)

Dude from Hannibal doesn't show up until season 4.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Bown posted:

Bravo! (I can't be bothered to look up the smilie how do people even remember the smilies on here anyway?)

Thought that dude was Charlie the musician. :doh:

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
7 seasons of Tales From the Crypt, Week One.

I'm up to episode 6 of Season 2 (12 of 81 episodes done). I'd have been much further along but I ended up writing a short 300-500 word...thing on each episode. I'm having lots of fun and based on OP's advice I'm considering starting a thread about it. I'm also debating whether said thread should be on Tales From the Crypt or 90's horror anthologies (Tales From the Crypt/Goosebumps/Are You Afraid of the Dark) or just anthologies in general. And should I criticize an episode's faults when it's based off of comics from the 40's that didn't try very hard in the first place?

Also I never realized how many big name actors were on this show. Demi Moore, Jeffrey Tambor, William Sadler, Joe Pantoliano, M. Emmet Walsh, William Hickey, Lance Henriksen, Kevin Tighe, Miguel Ferrer, Teri Hatcher, and it just goes on and on.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Bown posted:

They're generally pretty easy to guess. Like, the one you're thinking of is literally just "Lost"

:lost:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I was thinking of the "Bravo!" one with the guy clapping or whatever.

Anyway for some actual content I'm five episodes into Shameless season 3 and I'm having a whale of a time. This show's ace. But the ending to the latest episode has me very worried for the future of our favourite family!

edit: :bravo: oh yeah ok that is easy. I just got annoyed last time I tried to do :shh: because it took me like four tries because who has more h's than s's in the world sssh honestly

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
Supernatural is especially bad at the pre-episode recaps giving away the monster of the week.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."
Welp, I'm now :toxx:ing myself the next two seasons of Avatar because drat. PEOPLE WERE RIGHT. This show is loving addictive and those 21 episodes went down so, so smooth.

There's a LOT to love about this series (Zuko and Iro! The animation! The fight scenes!) but what I loved most about this first season is the PACING. This show is absolutely miraculous in how well it conveys an epic tone and detailed world-building in short episodes. It also has an excellent, accumulative mythology that builds from episode to episode without jarring the (generally) episodic nature of Aang's adventures with Sokka and Katara. Like Zuko and Iro - yeah, they're the villains (so far), so they pop up nearly every episode to stir poo poo up, but we also get to learn more and more about them and their relationship.

The show's also pretty decent at screwing around with expectations. Like the episode where there are two clans who hate each other thanks to differing views on how their ancestors interacted, and I was kind of expecting the whole "it was a big misunderstanding!" reveal. Instead, Aang tells both clans a baldfaced lie about why their prejudice is nonsense because he's too tired of their bullshit to put up with it.

"The Blue Spirit" episode was also epic as hell. FANTASTIC fight scenes, great character interaction.

Seriously, there are hour-long dramas currently on television that do less with their time than Avatar.

I'm off to binge on the second season!

Fake Edit: Holy poo poo Zuko's sister is a loving psychopath.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

AnimeJune posted:

Welp, I'm now :toxx:ing myself the next two seasons of Avatar because drat. PEOPLE WERE RIGHT. This show is loving addictive and those 21 episodes went down so, so smooth.

There's a LOT to love about this series (Zuko and Iro! The animation! The fight scenes!) but what I loved most about this first season is the PACING. This show is absolutely miraculous in how well it conveys an epic tone and detailed world-building in short episodes. It also has an excellent, accumulative mythology that builds from episode to episode without jarring the (generally) episodic nature of Aang's adventures with Sokka and Katara. Like Zuko and Iro - yeah, they're the villains (so far), so they pop up nearly every episode to stir poo poo up, but we also get to learn more and more about them and their relationship.

The show's also pretty decent at screwing around with expectations. Like the episode where there are two clans who hate each other thanks to differing views on how their ancestors interacted, and I was kind of expecting the whole "it was a big misunderstanding!" reveal. Instead, Aang tells both clans a baldfaced lie about why their prejudice is nonsense because he's too tired of their bullshit to put up with it.

"The Blue Spirit" episode was also epic as hell. FANTASTIC fight scenes, great character interaction.

Seriously, there are hour-long dramas currently on television that do less with their time than Avatar.

I'm off to binge on the second season!

Fake Edit: Holy poo poo Zuko's sister is a loving psychopath.

It only gets better. The final season in particular is some incredible television.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

It only gets better. The final season in particular is some incredible television.
And then there's Legend of Korra!!! :dance:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

AnimeJune posted:

Eh, don't set your expectations too high. Korra's first season is decent, the second not so good. It's nowhere near Last Airbender.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

AnimeJune posted:

Korra is not nearly as impressive as ATLA, sadly.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

AnimeJune posted:

Ahahahahaha sorry dude.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
If you liked the first season of The Last Airbender you will probably like Korra just fine.

This goes doubly so if you liked the third season of The Last Airbender.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I didn't realize this became an anime endorsement thread.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

AnimeJune posted:

R.I.P.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

computer parts posted:

If you liked the first season of The Last Airbender you will probably like Korra just fine.

This goes doubly so if you liked the third season of The Last Airbender.
That's my question - is it just *not as good* as Avatar? Or actually actively terrible?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

AnimeJune posted:

That's my question - is it just *not as good* as Avatar? Or actually actively terrible?

They didn't realize they were renewed for more seasons until halfway through production, so halfway through the first season the pacing gets really, really, really weird.

It's not actively terrible, though. Just a disappointment compared to Avatar.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Yes, let's blame everybody except the people directly responsible for making the show.

Its all Nickelodeon's fault!
Its all Studio Poirot's fault!
Its all because of the shortened seasons!

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

AnimeJune posted:

It's just not as good as Avatar for the most part (some episodes last season were, the early ones this season look very, very promising). The characters, setting and stories are simply not anywhere as good as they were in ATLA and they had to resort to a sub-par animation studio for many episodes because the usual one (that made ATLA) didn't have enough time to do everything.
Which all is of course very disappointing, but for some its bordering to be the biggest insult ever broadcast on TV because of the high hopes they had and they react very venomously online because of that.
Korra is still a show that's good and better than nearly all animation shown on screen, despite the faults. It just could have been so much more, the creators of ATLA had it in their hand to top it and they simply blew it, making "only" a mostly good series.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Today marks two weeks since we started this thing. To make this easy, everyone please check in within the next 7 days (before midnight PST a week from today) if you haven't posted an update yet, except KilGrey and Uznare who have a late start exemption.

Also, no more Korra / ATLA talk in the Korra thread except for checkin talk, please. :D

Annakie fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 11, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Other than the holiday last week I'm trying to keep to at least two episodes a day of Supernatural. Yesterday I watched the first two episodes of season 2. While I enjoyed the first season as a whole I did think it was kind of weird how often the person they were helping would be a young woman. I'm also not sure why/how normal people don't know about the various monsters what with all the demonstrable proof out there.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I am unpopular so I have no weekend plans, so reading and watching TV is on the top of my list :toot:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'll try to get through the first season of Twin Peaks by the end of the weekend, it's only five more episodes.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I'll probably watch Series (Season) 1 on Sunday and review it then, I've been busy with family and other stuff and haven't touched it past the first episode. This was partly why I picked a short show to watch.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
It's totally cool if your update is "I haven't started yet", this is just to know who's abandoning their Toxx early.

I should probably update to say I'm somewhere in the middle of season 3 of The West Wing right now. Still enjoying it, though it gets kind of overbearingly preachy sometimes, even for someone fairly liberal in my politics. I'll probably keep going after season 3 at least for awhile. :)

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
If you want to see Sorkin preachiness at its most horrifying you should check out The Newsroom (but no seriously don't do that).

I haven't started on The Wire S3 yet but hope to get going this weekend.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

hcreight posted:

If you want to see Sorkin preachiness at its most horrifying you should check out The Newsroom (but no seriously don't do that).

I haven't started on The Wire S3 yet but hope to get going this weekend.

To clarify: the Newsroom's very first scene is a rant about modern-day America that eventually turns into straight-up "millennials suck" generational resentment.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oh man I forgot how a baby boomer wrote another baby boomer to literally say that Millenials are the worst. generation. ever.

Also remember how in season one of the newsroom there was that trolling side plot that involved getting permission to make fun of Olivia munns body to get into a secret troll enclave, that had levels of trolling like they were fuckin Freemasons or some poo poo

Christ that show was fuckin garbage

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Newsroom is hilarious and I eagerly await the third season in hopes of more ridiculous stupid crap.

People shouldn't be giving it awards though.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I kinda started? I decided to finish Farscape. I made it through a few more episodes into season 3 and I swear I was gonna write something but I forgot. Yes, I even have Peacekeeper Wars to do too after all this.

All I can remember is season 3 is pretty drat amazing, I'd probably mistake it for something that aired in the last few years and there was maybe one not-so-great episode.

MrAristocrates posted:

To clarify: the Newsroom's very first scene is a rant about modern-day America that eventually turns into straight-up "millennials suck" generational resentment.
something something something bootstraps something something

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I finished my toxx.

Hooooooooooooray

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I'm nearing the midway point of my 5 season commitment to It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and kicking myself for not checking this show out sooner. The show so far has been consistently hilarious. It reminds me a lot of Seinfeld but taken to extremes that show couldn't get away with. I was a bit iffy on the the retooling season 2 went through when they brought Danny DeVito on as a regular, but his character integrates well within a few episodes.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Up to 307 with Shameless. There was a moment in the sixth episode that made me wish a hundred kinds of death on a certain character and I'll be really sad if that doesn't happen before I finish. This show is really great.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Update #1: First Series (Season) of Spaced

Outside of the unusually dark plot of Colin's kidnapping for illegal animal testing, I thought that the episodes were good although a few bits haven't aged well at all like the rave scene.

I liked that they actually wrapped up various bits like Tim's lingering feelings for his ex although shooting her new beau's nutsack probably helped there and his guilt for Mike's injury even though it wasn't the reason for his ousting from the TA. Daisy seemed to be trying a bit too hard to be the wacky roommate in these episodes but that subsided by the end. The rest of the cast had their turn although Brian's arc was the most pleasing to see. Hopefully the 2nd batch of episodes will be the same quality-wise as the first.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Ok, here's an update:

Farscape season 3 episode, "Scratch and Sniff"

Honestly I thought this was a hilarious sort of one-off in a season that was pretty much going full-speed serial. I suppose it's supposed to be in the same vein as a previous season 2 episode, "Crackers Don't Matter". In the same way that it kinda wasn't your typical Farscape episode, it really messed with your head and all that (just absolutely bonkers poo poo happens that isn't typical Farscape fare, which is hard to explain). It's also somewhat of a frame story, being told by Crichton to Pilot about why they can't stay on the planet any longer and they need to leave. So basically, the crew head down to a pleasure planet on shore leave and the two girls (Chiana and Jool) get kidnapped (in a sense) because some guy wants to milk them dry of some super-potent natural aphrodisiac. It's hilarious as Crichton and D'Argo basically have to break them out when their plan to buy them back in an auction goes awry. There are plenty of hilarious character moments between Crichton and D'Argo (up to and including this point of the season) that are fantastic. It's a kind of goofy/lighter tone episode that shouldn't really work but in the end I thought it was fantastic and really fun to watch.

Next up is a 2-parter. I might update it with that because I'm assuming something deadly serious and important happens and I want to tell you all about it.

I remember bits and pieces of this episode when I watched it years ago on TV, but seemingly out of order, so it was fun to see it now. Actually S3/S4 of Farscape is kinda the part where I mostly missed it (even when it was in syndication/repeats/something on a sci-fi channel in Canada) and I wanna see what happens next.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Haven't even had time to start yet, but I promised myself I would get one in tonight so I will.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

For real now I have an actual toxx.

I am going to watch three Netflix Original shows. Orange is the New Black, House of Cards, And Hemlock Grove.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Can we do show-for-show with people? Like, say I'll watch a show that someone else picks for me if they watch a show I pick for them?

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Jamesman posted:

Can we do show-for-show with people? Like, say I'll watch a show that someone else picks for me if they watch a show I pick for them?

We've done this a few times among the IRC crew and it worked pretty well! Zaggitz and I traded Pretty Little Liars/Person of Interest earlier in the year, and I have Utopia queued up to watch so that whowhatwhere will finish season 1 of The L Word.

• Locked thread