Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Party Plane Jones posted:

Is there a way to change the viewstyle because the extremely long but very slim view of your surroundings is super disorienting for planning stuff.
I would try messing with the width/height settings in graphics, preferably on the SDL version which supports ASCII fullscreen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Party Plane Jones posted:

Is there a way to change the viewstyle because the extremely long but very slim view of your surroundings is super disorienting for planning stuff.

Are you using a square font?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Strumpie posted:

There was an upcoming 'sanitised' mod that would've removed the more suspect items in the game like maid outfits, bondage suits, fur suits etc. which was nice. Until one of the main contributors threw a fit about it being hatred against women and ruining the 'core' game. (Open source drama and contributor entitlement :toot:) Luckily Granade was a voice of sanity in this instance and made it himself for those who want it, here. There's a list of items that it removes, mostly things like fedoras, et al. You're also free to change the list how you like to add/remove things.

The community for this is so ridiculous, the discussion thread for the mod got into a prolonged derail about whether a police nightstick should be considered a japanese weapon because its proper name (and ingame name) is 'tonfa'. No, of course we can't just rename it to 'nightstick' even though that's what everyone calls it!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I don't even loving know anymore how to make sense of all of that stuff.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TOOT BOOT posted:

The community for this is so ridiculous, the discussion thread for the mod got into a prolonged derail about whether a police nightstick should be considered a japanese weapon because its proper name (and ingame name) is 'tonfa'. No, of course we can't just rename it to 'nightstick' even though that's what everyone calls it!

Couldn't you just make two, one for each, and put tonfas in dojos and nightsticks on cops?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
No, because GLORIOUS NIPPON.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
I just picked this up again, and on my first run I found a NPC who had a Diamond Machete and some other rare poo poo. I then went and found a "Grenade" only instead of exploding it yells "Merged" then thousands of bees spewed out of it. I had to abandon the character because his pain was in the 2000s.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Richey posted:

I just picked this up again, and on my first run I found a NPC who had a Diamond Machete and some other rare poo poo. I then went and found a "Grenade" only instead of exploding it yells "Merged" then thousands of bees spewed out of it. I had to abandon the character because his pain was in the 2000s.

That sounds like a "Granade" which is actually a reference to Kevin Granade (who is the main developer anymore and who merges changes from contributors). Not that this will make things any better in your case.

Akoogly Eyes
Apr 27, 2010

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
So, uh, has anyone else ran into zombie bio-operators in the latest experimentals? They're pretty scary. :stare:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Akoogly Eyes posted:

So, uh, has anyone else ran into zombie bio-operators in the latest experimentals? They're pretty scary. :stare:
Yeah, they're brutal. Killed a character shortly after I found power armor for the first time. Thankfully, they only rarely spawn near military wreckage/dead soldier groups and usually only spawn in military installations.

shabbat goy
Oct 4, 2008

Has anyone messed around with Cataclysm 2? I finally got it to compile on OSX and started up a game, but only for a few minutes. There doesn't seem to be much discussion about it nor are there any LPs on youtube that I can find, which leads me to believe that I'm not going to get very far before some massive bug breaks the game. The concept seems interesting, here's Whales continues developing it.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Cataclysm owns, but I always put-off returning because there's so many god drat keys to memorize.

Living in the woods and just raiding towns for essentials was sweet though.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Diabetes By Sundown posted:

Has anyone messed around with Cataclysm 2? I finally got it to compile on OSX and started up a game, but only for a few minutes. There doesn't seem to be much discussion about it nor are there any LPs on youtube that I can find, which leads me to believe that I'm not going to get very far before some massive bug breaks the game. The concept seems interesting, here's Whales continues developing it.

The original didn't garner much notice either until there was a ready-made windows download.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.

TOOT BOOT posted:

The original didn't garner much notice either until there was a ready-made windows download.

I haven't personally looked, but is Whales using a framework like libtcod this time around, or is he doing something stupid like writing it all from scratch again*? If he's using libtcod or a similar framework, his work should be easily portable, at which point I don't see any reason for him not to self-build a Windows version. If he really wants his game to reach a wide audience, he needs to include as many people as possible, not exclude them. Sometimes it isn't possible without a lot of work, other times there's no excuse.

* There are many reasons to do stuff from scratch, but with console emulation and other basic systems that go into making a Roguelike, Whales isn't doing anything that wasn't already done better by others, and is freely available.

Edit: I've been reading the Cataclysm 2 blog, and it seems that Whales is sticking hard to the 80x25, real deal console limitation. Maybe he really, really likes playing on an IBM 3270 terminal and maintaining an old mainframe? I know one thing for sure, that certainly lowered my expectations for Cataclysm 2. I guess we're (or at least I'm) stuck with hoping DDA development keepss on a less weeaboo development path.

The King of Swag fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 27, 2014

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Hmm, wonder what's new in the latest build....

quote:

Experimental z-level buildings
:woop:

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

AceRimmer posted:

Hmm, wonder what's new in the latest build....

:woop:

I just took (a very fast) look at the code, and I wouldn't get my hopes up quite yet; although what I saw seems like some progress. Again, this is just from a very cursory glance of the code (5 minutes looking for relevant changes). From what I saw, it looks like the map system now supports more dynamic loading of one map level at a time, and the ability to travel between levels through tiles other than staircases (such as falling through a hole in the ground). Given what I saw, it looks like the current iteration of the z-level code is more like Brogue, with maps that are single discrete z-levels, but you can freely move between them (where there's an opening). It's less like a map with actual multiple levels that allow direct interaction between the levels.

Keep in mind that it's still a huge improvement, considering that the old system had a hard-coded number of levels supported, with only a singular method to move between them.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The old system also had a pecularity where it supported 'ground level' and various degrees of 'below ground'. It was impossible to be higher than ground level, hence no multistory buildings.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I can't wait for multi-Z level vehicles so I can have a turreted tank.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

I can't wait for multi-Z level vehicles so I can have a turreted tank.

You would want the tank to do all the work for you.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
How do vehicle turrets work exactly? I had one superpowered character who happened to find a beat-up but servicable humvee. After limping home, it was restored to full condition, converted to an electric engine and had a .50BMG turret installed in the centerline and two flamethrowers on the sides. Hungry and tired, my character went to sleep.

And woke up to explosions as the car blew itself up with its own weaponry, setting fire to the evac shelter I'd converted into a fortress. Secondary explosions began as lockers full of chemicals and ammunition cooked off and my character died trapped inside a boarded up shelter, roasting amid the treasures he had looted from a dead city.

I'm thinking the flamethrowers were the culprit (probably setting off the multiple gas tanks in the humvee), though I've avoided any kind of vehicle weaponry other than blades ever since.

Wild T fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 3, 2014

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Vehicle turrets auto-fire at anything hostile within their range of sight. They're completely stupid, though, so they don't care about silly little things like obstacles and will happily try to shoot through your own vehicle to kill some black rat on the other side. They're pretty much never actually useful, except to disassemble back into weaponry, where possible.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Best use of turrets is to set them up so they can only see in a firing arc that's clear of the vehicle. So put them on the front, with boards behind them.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'd build a Baneblade.

acidia
Oct 31, 2012
I haven't played with npcs on much in the past but I was wondering what would actually make them worth leaving on? For me, I like the concept but until their equipment is made a little more sane I'm hesitant to keep them on during long games.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

acidia posted:

I haven't played with npcs on much in the past but I was wondering what would actually make them worth leaving on? For me, I like the concept but until their equipment is made a little more sane I'm hesitant to keep them on during long games.

They actually still cause fatal crashes in a number of cases (crashes that you may not be able to recover your save from). I'd hold off on activating them until NPCs get their own complete rewrite.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

The King of Swag posted:

They actually still cause fatal crashes in a number of cases (crashes that you may not be able to recover your save from). I'd hold off on activating them until NPCs get their own complete rewrite.
Well, that's good to know. I've had them screw things up before, but I've always been able to just kill them through the debug menu if they start glitching out. Does this not work in some cases? :ohdear:

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

AceRimmer posted:

Well, that's good to know. I've had them screw things up before, but I've always been able to just kill them through the debug menu if they start glitching out. Does this not work in some cases? :ohdear:

Unless it's been changed in the last month, it's possible for NPCs to spawn with invalid or undisplayable items, which cause a crash as soon as they appear or use the item.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
Sorry for the double-post, but I saw the updated NPCs in the commit log, so I just tried to play a new game with them on, and they caused a fatal error in the first 100 moves. NPCs definitely aren't anywhere near playable yet.

acidia
Oct 31, 2012
The experimental for the past day or so had a fatal error that caused a crash when someone tried to pick something up out of a stack. I think they fixed it now. I've played with the static NPCs a little but not the random ones.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
This thread seems to have changed since March. Have we reached the "I'll build my own videogame with blackjack and hookers!" part of watching game development yet?

Edit: Evidently there was talk earlier. State of this game sounds a bit like SS13, including the branch off game with a better design and aesthetic.

Spaceking fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 10, 2014

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Spaceking posted:

This thread seems to have changed since March. Have we reached the "I'll build my own videogame with blackjack and hookers!" part of watching game development yet?

Been and gone.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Lone Badger posted:

Been and gone.

Mostly no-one actually contributed to the new fork.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
Wasn't even aware there was a goonfork of this.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, it was when the drawer things was going on, I made a fork and posted about it here. No-one contributed and I didn't really feel comfortable trying to match the pace of the DDA team on my own.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
I don't think there'd be any need to match the pace of additions so long as you were making more meaningful content. Z levels, stealth, better AI; ironically everything the kickstarter was supposed to bring.

But yeah, I can see your point. Content-wise, you can't really match DDA, and if you focus too heavily on core rewriting, it'd probably be better to just rebuild the game from the ground-up entirely.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

Turtlicious posted:

Yeah, it was when the drawer things was going on, I made a fork and posted about it here. No-one contributed and I didn't really feel comfortable trying to match the pace of the DDA team on my own.

you did GDA?

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Cosmik Debris posted:

you did GDA?

He did his own fork that no one contributed to. The bigger fork (GDA) had been dead for a long time before that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, it kind of helped that the DDA devs more or less include everything halfway working that people shove at them. Makes forking have less of a point.

On the downside, a lot of the inclusions are arse.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cosmik Debris posted:

you did GDA?

esquilax posted:

He did his own fork that no one contributed to. The bigger fork (GDA) had been dead for a long time before that.

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, it kind of helped that the DDA devs more or less include everything halfway working that people shove at them. Makes forking have less of a point.

On the downside, a lot of the inclusions are arse.

Yeah pretty much all of this.

I'm trying my own hand at the 3D stuff, if only because I want that sweet 1.5k in cash money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
Wait, do you mean full 3D environment, or just rendering out sprites?