Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice

that does sound pretty hot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Many of us will perish in the next invasion of Iraq.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
And that's why I got DNR tattooed on my forehead in a swastika and flame based font.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Godholio posted:

Isn't that the VA hospital responsible for all the current bad press?

No, that's Phoenix, but if the stories coming out of even the Flight Med office at Kirtland are true, then godamn I'm not really surprised this happened

Edit: Matter of fact, I know a dude out of the Nellis hospital who ended up with two assholes due to a surgery infection

Military medicine, folks

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jul 10, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/iraq/10913275/Isis-storms-Saddam-era-chemical-weapons-complex-in-Iraq.html

quote:

The jihadist group bringing terror to Iraq overran a Saddam Hussein chemical weapons complex on Thursday, gaining access to disused stores of hundreds of tonnes of potentially deadly poisons including mustard gas and sarin.

Isis invaded the al-Muthanna mega-facility 60 miles north of Baghdad in a rapid takeover that the US government said was a matter of concern.
Isis has shown ambitions to seize and use chemical weapons in Syria leading experts to warn last night that the group could turn to improvised weapons to carry out a deadly attack in Iraq.

Hamish de Bretton-Gordon, a former commander of Britain’s chemical weapons regiment, said that al-Muthanna has large stores of weaponized and bulk mustard gas and sarin, most of which has been put beyond ready use in concrete stores.

(Emphasis mine)

quote:

Its most recent description of al-Muthanna in 2007 paints a disturbing picture of chemicals strewn throughout the area.

“Two wars, sanctions and UN oversight reduced Iraqi’s premier production facility to a stockpile of old damaged and contaminated chemical munitions (sealed in bunkers), a wasteland full of destroyed chemical munitions, razed structures, and unusable war-ravaged facilities,” it said.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Zeroisanumber posted:

I hate to break it to you homes, but odds are that almost everyone who posts in GiP will one day collapse and die while waiting to fill out paperwork at the VA. Best thing that you can hope for is that your last sight isn't some pimple-faced intern shoving his mouth over yours and trying to breathe chipotle-stink oxygen into your lungs.

pretty sure when i die, itll either be in a horrific car accident or with a bottle of cognac in one hand and a 1911 in the other, sat back in a recliner completely nude with my last cumshot mixed with my brain juice crusting over on my belly while wagner plays on repeat at max volume

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

pretty sure when i die, itll either be in a horrific car accident or with a bottle of cognac in one hand and a 1911 in the other, sat back in a recliner completely nude with my last cumshot mixed with my brain juice crusting over on my belly while wagner plays on repeat at max volume

died horny

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
All I got is a real sweetheart diagnosis of tinnitus and some sports injury poo poo. I ain't buying it on the floor of a VA clinic.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

Just like Robin Olds.

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

So you are telling me... Terrorists are building a safe haven in Iraq and they have WMDs? Wellp..

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Courthouse posted:

So you are telling me... Terrorists are building a safe haven in Iraq and they have WMDs? Wellp..

Didn't we literally JUST do this 12 years ago?

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Courthouse posted:

Listen I don't care if we've got video evidence of the legion of doom preparing to open the 7th seal, I'll never support another incursion into that loving place. We can bomb from afar, repeatedly. Crank up the tomahawk production lines and let's build some loving jobs and drop some freedom from afar.

There's nothing worth putting boots on the ground for that we can't negotiate with the natives for over CB radios and car batteries we'll drone into them once a month.

I'm not loving kidding at all. Let's see what indiscriminate air interdiction campaigns in 2014 result in. I guarantee you it would be the end of radical islam, because there'd be no doubt that the whole Allah thing is a sham in the face of the U.S. Essentially playing a high tech economically positive real time strategy game with your click click derp derp loving peoples blood and sand.

How loving beautiful would it be? Seriously. We just watch for them to set up their little humanitarian camps after we drive every living thing with legs outta the cities, then we airdrop in the CBs.. And the AK-47's to show on IR footage for the press that these are actually militant camps and not just loving temporary reprieve from gods indifference and Lemay's second coming.

God drat I wish we lived in that loving world.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
nuke em and let's be done with it

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
LINEBACKER III

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Mike-o posted:

nuke em and let's be done with it

Thats no fun.

Carpet bombing for weeks on end. Every hour on the hour erase another cluster of hovels and mud huts. When they are gone, go back and bomb the smoking craters again. Make them and the rest of this lovely planet understand we have not only the capability but the intent to be the most terrible and monstrous fucks in recorded history if pushed too far.

It will never happen. But we should do that.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

Godholio posted:

LINEBACKER III

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Genocide Tendency posted:

Thats no fun.

Carpet bombing for weeks on end. Every hour on the hour erase another cluster of hovels and mud huts. When they are gone, go back and bomb the smoking craters again. Make them and the rest of this lovely planet understand we have not only the capability but the intent to be the most terrible and monstrous fucks in recorded history if pushed too far.

I'd honestly love to see that, because no way are nukes ever getting used. loving level that shithole.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Thats no fun.

They'd puss out and just use drones popping off lovely AP weapons that don't accomplish poo poo.

Shame, B-52s. B-1s and Hornets loaded for bear and just brutalizing every place ISIS dares to as much as step foot in would probably solve a whole lot of problems. We just need to be such a terrible force that Israel's campaigns in Palestine would look restrained and diplomatic in comparison. Stop being the great Satan and become the GREATEST Satan

brains
May 12, 2004

Godholio posted:

LINEBACKER III

how OIF should have started and ended

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

brains posted:

how OIF should have started and ended

Don't stop bombing until everything is glass

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Booblord Zagats posted:

Stop being the great Satan and become the GREATEST Satan

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Booblord Zagats posted:

They'd puss out and just use drones popping off lovely AP weapons that don't accomplish poo poo.

Shame, B-52s. B-1s and Hornets loaded for bear and just brutalizing every place ISIS dares to as much as step foot in would probably solve a whole lot of problems. We just need to be such a terrible force that Israel's campaigns in Palestine would look restrained and diplomatic in comparison. Stop being the great Satan and become the GREATEST Satan

Pretty sure that's what Afghanistan looked like in October, 2001. A bunch of people from the Everyone Who Isn't Pashtun club watching a few hundred dudes with radios turn the Everyone Who Is Pashtun club into puree with thunder from the sky.

Then we lost Osama for ten years. *cough*

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Zeroisanumber posted:

Pretty sure that's what Afghanistan looked like in October, 2001. A bunch of people from the Everyone Who Isn't Pashtun club watching a few hundred dudes with radios turn the Everyone Who Is Pashtun club into puree with thunder from the sky.

Then we lost Osama for ten years. *cough*

Fair enough, but Iraq doesn't have the geological/geographical advantages the Stan's do. Meaning there's no caves to hide in, just open desert for miles offering no cover

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Mike-o posted:

I'd honestly love to see that, because no way are nukes ever getting used. loving level that shithole.

I'd vote to just let them run things as they want and if a neighboring country doesn't like it, they'll do something about it. Let them hire from our security firms if they want someone from the US over there.

If we actually have a reason to send military over there, go in hard and finish hard but that's a stupid idea when we can half rear end things instead over and over.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I'm on board with this, but we need to bring back napalm, Big Belly B-52s wall to wall with Mk82s, and the really bad cluster bombs that leave UXO everywhere for future generations. Military version of throwback jersey night at the stadium.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Snowdens Secret posted:

That's gotta be some Indiana Jones Temple Of Doom warehouse poo poo to walk around in. Hanford in general is a pretty incomprehensible place.

Hanford's been in the news a bit recently for some unexplained illnesses that have been occurring in the workers doing remediation on some of the underground tanks that are leaking, also because they're fixing to start remediation on the room where the Atomic Man incident happened. Anyway, I came across this article that is pretty interesting...it discusses all the work that went into dismantling a glove box weighing several tons from the inside out, without any contamination. Here's a DOE page with some pictures of the work.

e:

I might be wrong on this but I believe napalm was outlawed, so the US renamed it incendiary gel and listed it only use is as a defoliant. It's a fuckin desert so unless we can convince the rest of the world that camels and scorpions are trees, napalm is off the table.

Cluster bombs and hellfire are still good though!

Incendiary munitions (Napalm or otherwise) aren't in any way illegal...the only restriction against them is in the CCW, which prohibits their use against civilians and military targets in civilian areas. The US is a signatory to the CCW but we included a reservation when we signed that we reserve the right to utilize incendiary munitions in civilian areas if doing so would cause less suffering than other munitions. Mk 77s are still in the inventory as far as I know...and that's not even getting into thermobaric weapons which are really what we want to be using anyway if the point is to cause as much suffering as possible to people in cities.

e2: From a DIA report on incendiary munitions...

quote:

The [blast] kill mechanism against living targets is unique–and unpleasant.... What kills is the pressure wave, and more importantly, the subsequent rarefaction [vacuum], which ruptures the lungs.... If the fuel deflagrates but does not detonate, victims will be severely burned and will probably also inhale the burning fuel. Since the most common FAE fuels, ethylene oxide and propylene oxide, are highly toxic, undetonated FAE should prove as lethal to personnel caught within the cloud as most chemical agents.

Also

quote:

Another Defense Intelligence Agency document speculates that because the "shock and pressure waves cause minimal damage to brain tissue…it is possible that victims of FAEs are not rendered unconscious by the blast, but instead suffer for several seconds or minutes while they suffocate."

So yeah, if our point is to gently caress up as many people as possible in as painful a manner as possible, thermobaric weapons are the way to go. I'm also on board with the oldest crappiest cluster bombs, just to cause as much suffering for as long as possible after we leave. Bonus points if we throw in some of the ones with submunitions that look like the humanitarian rations (the BLU-97s in CBU-87s I think).

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 11, 2014

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm on board with this, but we need to bring back napalm, Big Belly B-52s wall to wall with Mk82s, and the really bad cluster bombs that leave UXO everywhere for future generations. Military version of throwback jersey night at the stadium.

I might be wrong on this but I believe napalm was outlawed, so the US renamed it incendiary gel and listed it only use is as a defoliant. It's a fuckin desert so unless we can convince the rest of the world that camels and scorpions are trees, napalm is off the table.

Cluster bombs and hellfire are still good though!

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
if we're going to cause as much suffering as possible and bomb that shithole into oblivion then i don't think we're going to give a flying gently caress what the rest of the world thinks.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Middle East right now:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

As mentioned, napalm and WP are still totally legal, as long as you don't use them on civvies. Some of the confusion stems from an incident where we dropped incendiaries on Iraq and some reporter asked if we'd used napalm. The official response was, "Nope..." without adding, "...napalm is gasoline, benzene and polystyrene. The Mk 77 contains JP-8 and a special thickening agent." The other part is from a bunch of peaceniks trying to get incendiaries, WP, and FAEs classed as chemical weapons because both the fuel and the combustion byproducts are toxic.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dead Reckoning posted:

As mentioned, napalm and WP are still totally legal, as long as you don't use them on civvies. Some of the confusion stems from an incident where we dropped incendiaries on Iraq and some reporter asked if we'd used napalm. The official response was, "Nope..." without adding, "...napalm is gasoline, benzene and polystyrene. The Mk 77 contains JP-8 and a special thickening agent." The other part is from a bunch of peaceniks trying to get incendiaries, WP, and FAEs classed as chemical weapons because both the fuel and the combustion byproducts are toxic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmRASCHJe2Q

FAEs own :fap:

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
:eyepop:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Remember it's not the explosion that kills you, nor the shockwave, it is the sudden vacuum that causes your lungs to come out through your mouth.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
CHEMICALS!?!?!?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The Russians did that poo poo right. How would you like a man-portable thermobaric weapon?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPO-A_Shmel

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

The Russians did that poo poo right. How would you like a man-portable thermobaric weapon?

Somewhere on liveleak, one of those is going off 10 feet from the launcher. :supaburn:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

We haven't come up with a proposal metal enough to keep people away for 10,000 years.

http://www.damninteresting.com/this-place-is-not-a-place-of-honor/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Interference_Task_Force

The idea of an "atomic priesthood" is interesting. Somebody watched Beneath the Planet of the Apes too many times.

poo poo, it's not like we need to. Run that loving hot waste through a breeder reactor, burn it again, repeat until we have the half-life of remaining radioactives down to something nice and manageable. You know, like the French already do.

The US nuclear regulation system is loving amateur hour because of NIMBY fear pushed by conventional energy barons.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Liquid Communism posted:

The US nuclear regulation system is loving amateur hour because of NIMBY fear pushed by conventional energy barons.

This needs to be shouted from the rooftops.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

The SMAW has had thermobaric warheads for awhile now as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

poo poo, it's not like we need to. Run that loving hot waste through a breeder reactor, burn it again, repeat until we have the half-life of remaining radioactives down to something nice and manageable. You know, like the French already do.

Doesn't plutonium have the capability to spontaneously ignite for pretty much no reason at all?

• Locked thread