Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cirrial
Oct 24, 2012

Aurium posted:

I must be weird, but I love walking laser turrets into bases.

It feels very Creeper World. Wonder what the overlap is like between people who liked any of those games and Factorio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Cirrial posted:

It feels very Creeper World. Wonder what the overlap is like between people who liked any of those games and Factorio.

Never heard of that game before, but whatever the overlap was before, it's +1 now.

My save games are getting to be nearly 100 MB on account of the replay feature, which I never use. I discovered that if I disable the Scenario mod (I paid more for the extra content) it disables the replay. I'm sure there must be a dummy mod that doesn't do anything that you can use to disable replay saving, because the way the game saves the game is just awful.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

FISHMANPET posted:

Never heard of that game before, but whatever the overlap was before, it's +1 now.

My save games are getting to be nearly 100 MB on account of the replay feature, which I never use. I discovered that if I disable the Scenario mod (I paid more for the extra content) it disables the replay. I'm sure there must be a dummy mod that doesn't do anything that you can use to disable replay saving, because the way the game saves the game is just awful.

You can go to the wiki and make a dummy mod in a second, it's just a text file. Here, why not:

The whole process is case sensitive, and kinda picky on details so this is the minimum of things.
1) Make a new folder: .../factorio/mods/DummyMod
2) save the below as info.json

pre:
{
  "name": "dummy-mod",
  "version": "1.0.0",
  "author": "Evilreaver",
  "title": "Dummy Mod",
  "contact": "evilreaver@gmail.com"
}
I think that should do it. If not, make a new file, data.lua

pre:
data:extend
{
}
I'm 95% sure that will do it. Too lazy to check tonight :effort:

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I'm kind of surprised at all this talk of using AP ammo to clear out biter nests.

If you go -real- early (before they start spitting back at you), you can take 'em out with iron armor, shotgun, smg, two turrets, and regular ammo.

I don't even try to set up the turrets within firing range of the spawners, i just set them back a bit so I have someplace to rest.

The four things you need to do: unequip the regular pistol, aim closer to you than the hive so the targeting takes out any threats charging at you, and walk close enough that the shotgun does some real damage, and switch back to the SMG every time something small runs at you. Even if the entire spread hits the hive, distance seems to have a dramatic output on that shotgun damage.

Of course, I might just be misreading where exactly in the biter evolution cycle you're talking about. My most recent 'fresh' base has one big nest, but there are a lot of smaller nests I can easily clear out to limit the avenues of attack, as long as I don't get them spitting back at me.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
AP ammo is just easy. Pump some Steel and Copper into an assembler, and voila. You can just spacebar your way through waves of small biters, no fuss.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I while ago I posted about making a main bus that was just the basic building blocks i.e. every component that couldn't be manufactures by an assembler, or that it would be impractical to manufacture on demand due to how much of them are used (i.e. green circuits). I also posted about leaving a 2-square gap between belts, as this would let you branch components off the bus without worrying about having to alter the belts of any other components.

Its. So. Orderly.

Left to right is steel, iron, copper, green circuits, plastic, batteries, red circuits. I'm manufacturing almost everything in assemblers rather than by hand, and can put down 48 accumulator/24 solar panel groupings and 8 turret & wall groupings using blueprints only. My research/science production is infinitely expandable, as is circuitry and smelting. You can just see where raw copper/iron plates enter the factory at the very bottom.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002

Breetai posted:

I while ago I posted about making a main bus that was just the basic building blocks i.e. every component that couldn't be manufactures by an assembler, or that it would be impractical to manufacture on demand due to how much of them are used (i.e. green circuits). I also posted about leaving a 2-square gap between belts, as this would let you branch components off the bus without worrying about having to alter the belts of any other components.

Its. So. Orderly.

Left to right is steel, iron, copper, green circuits, plastic, batteries, red circuits. I'm manufacturing almost everything in assemblers rather than by hand, and can put down 48 accumulator/24 solar panel groupings and 8 turret & wall groupings using blueprints only. My research/science production is infinitely expandable, as is circuitry and smelting. You can just see where raw copper/iron plates enter the factory at the very bottom.

Hey thanks, I was waiting for someone to post things like this. Standardized design "best practices" type ideas. What is this bussing you speak of?!

Anyone have good ideas for building from the ground up?

Belasarius fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jul 10, 2014

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
See the series of seven parallel conveyors bringing the primary components to the various assemblies? That's the bus. Basically the main artery of the factory from which all of the other items are manufactured.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002

Breetai posted:

See the series of seven parallel conveyors bringing the primary components to the various assemblies? That's the bus. Basically the main artery of the factory from which all of the other items are manufactured.

Yes I thought so but I don't think I've heard the terminology before.

Belasarius fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jul 10, 2014

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
There's no need to keep plastic flowing past the advanced circuit assemblers. It has no other use.

Personally, I like to make plastic right at the advanced circuit section, as I find it simpler to bring petrol and lube to the solids area than to send various solids over to the liquid area.

I've been using a bus with 2 belts per 4 rows to save a little space, but I don't think it's worth the hassle of the extra tunnels you have to build.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Belasarius posted:

Yes I thought so but I don't think I've heard the terminology before. Err how is it fed?

Fullscreen the pic and look closely. Down the very bottom there's only conveyors for iron and copper (and plastic, but that was added later in the game). All of the other lines are created by branching off basic components with a splitter (running them under nearby bus conveyors if there are any in the way using underground belts), running them to assemblers, and then for certain components running lines back from those assemblers and adding a line to the main bus.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I assumed they were called a bus because that's what the big fat cable that comes off your motherboard is called.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
Your mother's so big and fat she has to take the bus to get from non-volatile storage to primary RAM.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Phssthpok posted:

There's no need to keep plastic flowing past the advanced circuit assemblers. It has no other use.

Personally, I like to make plastic right at the advanced circuit section, as I find it simpler to bring petrol and lube to the solids area than to send various solids over to the liquid area.

It's a bit situational, I'm extending it upwards as there's a couple of deposits to the north that I'm going to use to set up a dedicated secondary red chip factory for when required throughput exceeds the ability of a nondedicated factory to handle.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Phobophilia posted:

I assumed they were called a bus because that's what the big fat cable that comes off your motherboard is called.

This is indeed where the terminology comes from. Consider the belts as multiple data lines.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
yo momma so fat shes the reason why dos uses a file allocation table

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Baloogan posted:

yo momma so fat shes the reason why dos uses a file allocation table

yo momma give blowjobs like a failed os interface unveiling; ain't no-one wanna see her bob

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

yo mama so nasty she set the biter evolution factor to 2

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

yo mama is so fat, three fast belts are not fast enough to keep up with her food intake

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Is it possible to edit existing maps? I'm getting tired of the lack of oil close to my base.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
What does your resource extraction and transportation layout look like? I wasn't posting too clearly.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Not pictured: 10-15 pumpjacks scattered around the factory. All the oil goes into the top two tanks, which are perpetually empty. Under the refineries are storage for petroleum, light and heavy, from left to right. All the plants under the tank storages crack heavy into light and light into petroleum. I can barely feed a plastic assembler with this setup! Only one refinery is ever running. Am I doing it wrong?

edit: alt is better is for screenshots

Colonel J fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 10, 2014

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Colonel J posted:

Not pictured: 10-15 pumpjacks scattered around the factory. All the oil goes into the top two tanks, which are perpetually empty. Under the refineries are storage for petroleum, light and heavy, from left to right. All the plants under the tank storages crack heavy into light and light into petroleum. I can barely feed a plastic assembler with this setup! Only one refinery is ever running. Am I doing it wrong?

Have the pumpjacks hit 0.1 oil/sec yet? Are you using speed modules on all the pumpjacks and productivity on the oil refineries? Do the really far away pumpjacks have electric pumps on the pipes going out of them so the pressure stays high enough for decent throughput?

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Colonel J posted:

No - once you floor your oil wells, you'll almost never have any crude backed up (unless you fill up your output tanks). Make sure you put speed modules in your pumps, and hunt down as many new sources of oil as possible. Not much else you can do. Once you have filled up your storage depots for plastics/advanced circuits, you'll get a chance to build up some reserves.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Its easiest to just click the refineries that aren't working. Do they have 10 oil coming in? No? Add oil. Do they have output backing up? Add sinks/tanks.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've started turning oil up, both deposit size and frequency, because the wells are just too drat far away for it to be any fun. I think I went too high though, because I more than maxed out my pipes with just the deposits in my base.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Those are all good points. I actually just figured out many of my pumpjacks were lacking power, I didnt reconnect them after some work on the base. It all works for now but it won't for long, everything shoud floor out quick. I already had speed modules and pumps, but the productivity modules in the refineries are a better idea than speed.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
-edit-

Nevermind, newbie mistakes. This game is incredibly addicting.

Sipher fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 11, 2014

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
As expected, I bought this thing. Should I stick to the stable release or is the experimental okay?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

seravid posted:

As expected, I bought this thing. Should I stick to the stable release or is the experimental okay?

10.0 is fine
10.1 has some small bugs (turrets only fire at moving targets, etc)
10.2 has no bugs I know of except that it will eat your saves, but this can be worked around (load any mod, load your save to fix it)

Each version has a bunch of new features. I'd recommend 10.2 personally.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

10.0 is fine
10.2 has no bugs I know of except that it will eat your saves, but this can be worked around (load any mod, load your save to fix it)

Somebody a couple pages back was complaining about 100mb+ save files, looks like 10.2 fixes that. http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4593

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

DaveKap posted:

For anyone interested, here's what you make when you go through the missions straight and then start up a sandbox game and get to the end game without reading a single hint about how you're supposed to build anything.

So thanks to this thread, I jumped back into Factorio (it has barely changed since I stopped playing, you can see the images above for my no-exposure-to-advice end-game factory) and start a new sandbox game. I decided to take the advice of 1 person in this thread and went for the spaced-out belt idea and got this.

It's freakin' insane how easily expandable this setup is compared to what may as well have been a rats nest in my quoted images. My tech is flying off the shelf and I'm really excited for the prospect of needing to build some trains soon. For some reason needing to build railways always got me super excited. Thanks for scratching that OpenTTD itch, Factorio!

In any case, thanks to the goon with that idea.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Evilreaver posted:

10.0 is fine

10.0 has the shotgun nerf bug (only fires one pellet).

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
10.0 (at least, maybe others) also has a bug where if you're holding LMB to autplace power poles and your mouse happens to be on top of a tree when it's trying to place one your game crashes.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

bitcoin bastard posted:

Somebody a couple pages back was complaining about 100mb+ save files, looks like 10.2 fixes that. http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4593

I'm not sure if it "fixes" it or not, or if it's just broken by design, but save games are still huge.

Which isn't a problem itself, but the way the game saves is it zeros out the file and rewrites it entirely, so a 100mb save takes a while to save, and the game freezes while it's saving.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I'm really surprised they haven't put this on Steam already. It's better than like 90% of the poo poo they have on the New Releases.

And is there any good mods that expand research out without making it awful? The only one I found was some big pack that fucks with everything.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

DaveKap posted:

So thanks to this thread, I jumped back into Factorio (it has barely changed since I stopped playing, you can see the images above for my no-exposure-to-advice end-game factory) and start a new sandbox game. I decided to take the advice of 1 person in this thread and went for the spaced-out belt idea and got this.

It's freakin' insane how easily expandable this setup is compared to what may as well have been a rats nest in my quoted images. My tech is flying off the shelf and I'm really excited for the prospect of needing to build some trains soon. For some reason needing to build railways always got me super excited. Thanks for scratching that OpenTTD itch, Factorio!

In any case, thanks to the goon with that idea.

You're still going to get expansion issues with your green circuit factories running into your labs. You'll hit 15-20 circuit factories easy.

Moving the labs should be easy though, at least if you do it now before you happen to build all your refineries next to them or something.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Pretty much anything can be torn up and replaced quickly (or instantly with bots) except refinery complexes. Managing the squid of belts is pretty much all hands-on. Liquids! :argh:

:ocelot:

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Evilreaver posted:

Pretty much anything can be torn up and replaced quickly (or instantly with bots) except refinery complexes. Managing the squid of belts is pretty much all hands-on. Liquids! :argh:

:ocelot:

Nothing better than loving around with the pipes and suddenly realizing you've got water in your petroleum gas pipes or something. Welcome to tearing out the entire pipe system and starting from scratch. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Caconym posted:

Nothing better than loving around with the pipes and suddenly realizing you've got water in your petroleum gas pipes or something. Welcome to tearing out the entire pipe system and starting from scratch. :suicide:

Yeah I often run into this problem. Now I just barrel all the crude oil I get and conveyer belt it to the plant complex in my primary base.

Question: for the big babies among us who are playing on peaceful, am I screwed for getting purple beakers?