Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I really hope the veto stuff becomes a huge deal and casters get all worked up during 25min of map picking. Looking forward to anders and lurrpis letting the audience know how they are handling all of the excitement that comes with cbble maybe making it to the last 2/3 maps before being vetoed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gristley Bear
May 16, 2007

METAL

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

What team are you talking about? The only thing problematic about the pool being different is that they're going to have to learn to play cs like men and get better at nuke.

Na'Vi used to refuse to play nuke because they couldn't funnel the other team towards Markeloff's AWP. Literally.

When another team wanted to play it against them to practice they'd just say that they just played it.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Gristley Bear posted:

Na'Vi used to refuse to play nuke because they couldn't funnel the other team towards Markeloff's AWP. Literally.

When another team wanted to play it against them to practice they'd just say that they just played it.

Yeah that's p much exactly what I was assuming. I mean when it comes to the few(2 or 3 including season) maps that are only used in 1 or 2 tourneys that makes sense. :lol: @ going ahead and assuming you can auto veto standard rear end maps and never scrimming on them, that's some goon poo poo

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Clearly the development of new maps should cease. Nothig is good enough, we have the maps that we will play until heat death.

To get into competetive rotation, map has to be competetive level in advance. To reach competetive level, the map has had to be played competetively.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Let's not forget that season, mill/tuscan, russka, fire, lite are still out there to be played and/or remade. Look at cache as an example. It was barely played at a competitive level until fmpones re-re-make.

Seasons on its way to full time competitive use as well going the same route as cache. There are good maps out there, they just need some attention(to be properly ported to GO) and momentum to get played.

I'm guessing a lot of people have never tried those maps but their layouts are already very good, just gotta remake and polish.

mcvey fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 10, 2014

Gristley Bear
May 16, 2007

METAL
Toscan is good, it just needs to be more GOified probably.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I would pay money to watch games if a league would declare that three matches are played from a pool of Motel, Insertion, Mist and Rush.

That would be the tits.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Ahdinko posted:

Turns out the guy I sit next to at work used to play in 4 kings, im trying to make him play CS:GO so I can learn his ways

Someone from the 2008 Finnish line-up?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Is playing a lot of arms races something that will form horrible habits? I've been really enjoying them lately with a podcast on in the background. It has a feel of being masturbatory compared to the wholesome catholic missionary style competitive/casual game modes that god intended~

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
Ask your admin if BanMe® is right for you!
^o^

Vahakyla posted:

I would pay money to watch games if a league would declare that three matches are played from a pool of Motel, Insertion, Mist and Rush.

That would be the tits.

Hmmm yes

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Cobble was fine in 1.6. It had huge flaws, but they weren't flaws that made it unfit for competitive play. Just flaws that made it rotate out when better maps became available. Outside of "being one of the top teams in the world", cobble just heavily favored the better team provided one team didn't win T pistol while the other team lost T pistol. When it came to top teams it was more coin flippy than the more balanced maps. T pistol round was ridiculously critical, especially in MR12, but outside of that it had lots of room for varied strategies and stuff. Of course, it had huge flaws and was massively CT sided due to them. But a map having one side favored is somewhat irrelevant unless it's completely hopeless for one side, because you play both sides.

It was one of the better league maps, because if one team was better than another at being a team they'd likely win even if the other team had some players who were "better".

Prodigy and Aztec, now those are some really poo poo maps to have to play competitively. GO cobble also strikes me as bad. Not for the same reasons as 1.6 cobble, but for entirely new ones. They also took out one of the redeeming features of cobble that made it somewhat unique, it had a vertical element that other maps didn't have. Which made it mechanically difficult for many players when it came to aiming.

I also don't get why people hate new maps. Cache is pretty sweet, and it's right up there with mill/inferno/nuke/train/mirage as maps I like. Dust2 omitted because I don't like dust2 that much, especially GO dust2.

slev posted:

Bring back fire
Strike (mirage) is a better fire. It's the same drat map, but one of them has some poor design elements and the other has those poor elements omitted. Fire is also from mr12 with a long rear end round timer. It doesn't play well at all with the "short" timer used these days.

I liked fire, don't get me wrong, but as long as mirage exists it's not coming back. Now comrade, there's a man's map. If you like playing close catwalk you'll love playing comrade! I can just imagine the comedy of seeing top teams trying to play comrade with GO's smokes. 10 smokes every single round.

edit: I skipped source so if source fire had updates from the 1.6 fire then maybe I'm wrong. I played some source when everyone switched initially, but I lost interest quickly because the maps were really bad.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jul 10, 2014

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

So, my loot from four Breakout missions. Three SCAR-20 Storm and a G3SG1 Contractor.
:negative:
What has been your loot experience in Breakout missions?

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Smol posted:

Someone from the 2008 Finnish line-up?

Not sure exactly what years he was playing, but it was the 1.6 UK team. He stopped playing because he got a wife and a kid so can't really fly around the world to shoot mans anymore

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jul 10, 2014

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
If map makers didn't take such joy in including as many corners, cubby-holes and obstructions, every new map would be received much more easily. I'd sooner see a new map with too little cover than too much, letting players get used to the layout in general without having to worry about a million angles.

Running into B on Valve's cbble is honestly some sort of joke. A CT could be in about 8 different spots before I even turn to the right.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
don't get me wrong, i am 100% all about d2 mirage nuke etc i like to play and watch 'pros' play some standard rear end counterstrike but here is Lurppis speaking out for the unspoken ones

quote:

It really is too bad @csgo_dev think they know better than the hardcore community & assume including two untested maps in a major is "fine".

Ah yes the csgo hardcore crowd, definitely a group whom i better pander to while i tweet my charming opinions at the csgo_dev twitter account

there are times when i think it would have been cool to be into 1.6 during the revival or whatever, but man i dunno if it'd be worth the crippling nerd entitlement about your poo poo nerd opinions.
*posts furiously in the hltv comments section*

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jul 10, 2014

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

there are times when i think it would have been cool to be into 1.6 during the revival or whatever, but uh i guess it's good to not be desperately clutching the remains of your glory days in a high school social circle simulator
I wasn't around for the revival, but I literally played 1.6 in high school.

That guy is hilarious. If you have to play a terrible map I have news for you pal, the other team does too. And one of you is going to win. Probably not by chance. Treat them like any other map and practice them extensively, and it will probably be you who wins. Sure, practicing some crap-rear end map that will never be used in a tournament again is kind of wasting time in the longterm. But it's not wasting time for that tournament. And there will inevitably be new maps that don't suck, so learning how to approach a new map might just be a positive thing.

I remember when the redesigned inferno was new. Going to drop a spoiler bomb in this thread, lots of "hardcore counter-strike players" didn't like it because 'it's like the old poo poo map but slightly different'. Fast forward a few years and it overtook dust2 and other maps as a competitive standard. Nevermind the endless crying about the lamp posts being added in 1.6 or so.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jul 10, 2014

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

kalstrams posted:

So, my loot from four Breakout missions. Three SCAR-20 Storm and a G3SG1 Contractor.

I'd love to tell you but I keep getting the "Win a comp game on Black Gold" mission.

No good vibes come from that map.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Khorne posted:

I wasn't around for the revival, but I literally played 1.6 in high school.

if you haven't been flamed on nerdbuster.com pls do not offer anecdotes

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Unbound posted:

I'd love to tell you but I keep getting the "Win a comp game on Black Gold" mission.

Actually that is one of my favourite maps in Breakout. I think I like it even more than Castle, and definitely way more than Overgrown. I haven't played Rush, Mist and Insertion though. So far, 3 'win map' missions and 20 'Heavy' kills in casual.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

It's like gotfrag, gotfrag's posters, and ed had a very special baby. It pretty much embodies what I remember the average "competitive" player behaving like behind the scenes. And I just witnessed that site for the first time.

edit: Some of the posts are pretty amusing.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jul 10, 2014

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Don't even click accept if you don't have a steam level above 100 okay kid?

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

kalstrams posted:

I got "Win a competitive match on Castle." I've got like 9 hours total into CS, so I think that one's going to rot for a while. I got a glock nightshade skin from my other mission.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
I won my first map on castle because nobody had ever played it before and the CTs couldnt find the sites for their half

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

kcer posted:

If map makers didn't take such joy in including as many corners, cubby-holes and obstructions, every new map would be received much more easily. I'd sooner see a new map with too little cover than too much, letting players get used to the layout in general without having to worry about a million angles.

Running into B on Valve's cbble is honestly some sort of joke. A CT could be in about 8 different spots before I even turn to the right.

This is the honest truth. I think people like dust2 most just because the map is very straightforward so you end up playing against the other people not the loving map

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
Yeah, what kcer said. I liked cobble in source. It was a fun map, regardless about whether it was good competitively. The new cobble isn't fun at all, is super cluttered, has a million places, corners and objects to look at. It's just not a fun map.

I want to see a good remake of de_Piranesi. Or has that already happened? Some people were saying it kinda looked like the new cobble was more like cobble merged with piranesi so we'll never see it. That would suck.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Unbound posted:

I have a mission for winning a match on Castle but I get 20 fps on that map when I normally get 120. Absence of vibes. I've had good luck though with the deathmatch missions getting first place regularly trying to complete pistol missions. Either I'm that good or everyone else is that bad. Leaning towards them being bad.

hello internet fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jul 10, 2014

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

My first mission was on cs_rush and that map completely fucks over my FPS. But we won by camping with autosnipers.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Oh, so I'm not the only one who had to make extra compromises on graphical fidelity in order to maintain 'decent' FPS on Operation Breakout maps.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

I noticed the first time playing de_mist that my FPS dropped to 60, which might be okay for some 64 tick nonsense, but I'm gonna need the other half I usually get on any 128 ticks.

EDIT: Also I like de_mist, but I still get lost and don't know any calls or strats.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

I don't think lurppis and the pros are against Cobblestone and Overpass per se, they just hate the fact that Valve/ESL announced their addition only month a before the majors. That kinda fucks up everyone's practice schedule.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Smol posted:

I don't think lurppis and the pros are against Cobblestone and Overpass per se, they just hate the fact that Valve/ESL announced their addition only month a before the majors. That kinda fucks up everyone's practice schedule.

gently caress the pros. The few (if any) matches played on the new maps should be hilariously entertaining. I think there's something to be said for playing the game without knowing every single little corner of every map.

whoknew fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 10, 2014

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
Anti-Stumble unit is fail!
They only announced the tournament about a month before the tournament

Honestly I just want to see a top team knocked out on Overpass

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

whoknew posted:

gently caress the pros. The few (if any) matches played on the new maps should be hilariously entertaining.

I'm for expanding the map pool as much as any viewer, but I also understand the pro viewpoint. Their livelihood depends on placing well in these major tournaments, and making the results more random by using maps no teams knows isn't fair for any team.

Stumbletron posted:

They only announced the tournament about a month before the tournament

Honestly I just want to see a top team knocked out on Overpass

What the pros mean is that Valve could've said just after Katowice (or after Cologne!) "btw, expect Overpass and Cobble to be maps in the next majors, so start practicing". A lot of online leagues would've included them in the map pool that way as well.

Smol fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 10, 2014

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
sorry 'top team' but i'm too busy scoffing hard at you for being terrible at nuke to hear your map opinions heheh

lollin @ the short notice complaints though lmao it's not as if they are developing ideas for months upon months and then suddenly reveal it to the world in a meta-shifting moment of brilliance.

how could valve possibly have allowed them enough time to prepare in the first place? they still aren't prepared for nuke tho

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 10, 2014

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

fy_iceworld, the only real competitive map

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
^o^
lurPISS has problems not being weirdly obnoxious, as is typical of Tell It Like It Is dudes, even if hes not always wrong

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

tight dick, playa

Khorne posted:

gotfrag's posters

RIP killer_dog_men0r

Powerful Wizard IRL fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 10, 2014

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
I would legit pay money to watch a top-tier tournament played only using the current Operation map pool. Regardless of whether it occurred during Phoenix, Breakout, Bravo, idgaf.

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
^o^

Cuntpunch posted:

I would legit pay money to watch a top-tier tournament played only using the current Operation map pool. Regardless of whether it occurred during Phoenix, Breakout, Bravo, idgaf.

aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!

:lol::lol::lol:

The couple of times I've played Insertion, I found it useful to use cardinal directions ("NW of barn", etc) which is something you never do in a smaller map. Full disclosure, I have no problem with the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Oh cool someone made a callout for inser-:rubshands:

• Locked thread