Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

I'm looking for a plan, and having trouble deciphering all the vagueries of the various websites.

Location: Southwest Virginia, in particular the New River Valley region and around Roanoke.

Budget: ~$200 for a phone, though less is better. Can maybe stretch up to $60 a month, but would prefer closer to $40.

I'd like a monthly plan with unlimited talk and text, which seems pretty universal so good on that one! I'd like as much data as I can get. 4G/LTE stuff doesn't matter that much because there's pretty much none near me, and I have in-house wifi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Wapole Languray posted:

I'm looking for a plan, and having trouble deciphering all the vagueries of the various websites.

Location: Southwest Virginia, in particular the New River Valley region and around Roanoke.

Budget: ~$200 for a phone, though less is better. Can maybe stretch up to $60 a month, but would prefer closer to $40.

I'd like a monthly plan with unlimited talk and text, which seems pretty universal so good on that one! I'd like as much data as I can get. 4G/LTE stuff doesn't matter that much because there's pretty much none near me, and I have in-house wifi.

Moto G and Cricket.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Fauxton is correct unless AT&T service is really bad in your area (unlikely) as that is what the new Cricket uses.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Prepaid smartphone plan news:

* A new brand, Harbor Mobile. T-Mobile network, all plans also include hotspot.

* It is rumored that starting July 17, Verizon will allow prepaid users to get LTE data on their ALLSET prepaid plan.

I've asked about 5 times now for someone to step up and take over a new OP, but there has never been a volunteer. And yet this thread keeps getting new posts.

On July 17 I am going to take drastic action.

Please vote for what you would like me to do:

1. Close the thread.
2. Replace the OP with the message "There is no OP because nobody wants to maintain it. Good luck!"

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I'll see if I can whip something up this week or the next.

Edit: May need some help from some of the more common posters in this thread but I don't think it'll be too daunting.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Thank you.

You can also view my post history for this thread as I've posted suggestions and useful links.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I've been using BYO Wireless (Verizon MVNO) for the last couple months. They're probably not a fantastic bargain on a per-minute/per-MB basis, but for my needs they were perfect.

$5/30 days gets 100 minutes/100 texts. Another $5 can add more minutes, texts, or data (100 mins, 1000 texts, 100MB data). Unless it's a glitch in the display, unused minutes/texts/data roll over from cycle to cycle. I'm using it as a business phone for my self-employed work, so I can just leave the phone in my office after I'm "off work" for the day. All my contacts are handled through a Google Voice number, so I have calls forwarded only to this phone, but can get texts/voicemail notifications to my personal phone, work PC, and this phone if I choose to.

I probably only use around 40-50 minutes per month, so I set an auto-renewal up for the $5 minutes/texts plan, and did a single $5 topup for 100MB data. Since the phone is nearly always on wifi, the data is just for backup, or for when I have to run out of the house during work hours and take it with me.

They don't offer any devices, at all. You need to bring your own Verizon phone, CDMA only. I don't know if they plan to utilize 4G/LTE devices, I'm sure that's just a restriction of being a Verizon MVNO. I considered Ting, but for how low my usage is BYO is probably a better deal. Plus I already had a couple Verizon 3G phones laying around, so there was zero additional cost to try the service.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Rastor posted:

Prepaid smartphone plan news:

* It is rumored that starting July 17, Verizon will allow prepaid users to get LTE data on their ALLSET prepaid plan.

I've asked about 5 times now for someone to step up and take over a new OP, but there has never been a volunteer. And yet this thread keeps getting new posts.

On July 17 I am going to take drastic action.

Please vote for what you would like me to do:

1. Close the thread.
2. Replace the OP with the message "There is no OP because nobody wants to maintain it. Good luck!"

2, until we get at least a list of the prepaid options.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Stick100 posted:

2, until we get at least a list of the prepaid options.

I've never done an OP before but I'm willing to step up if no one else wants to.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Rastor posted:

Anyone have experience on a T-Mobile MVNO? Their $40/month for unlimited talk/text & 3 GB plan sounds appealing considering its about $5 more than I'm paying for the dork plan + extra minutes directly with T-Mobile now.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Anyone know of any reason my Aio/Cricket data would suddenly get worse over the last five or so days? They didn't change the APN with the name change or anything?

I still get a high signal strength, but really horrible timeouts on my data. It's most noticeable in an online android game I play, in which things that used to respond instantly can take 10 to 20 seconds now. I checked, I haven't used more than 700 mb of data in the last month, so it's not like they capped me or something.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Bobulus posted:

Anyone know of any reason my Aio/Cricket data would suddenly get worse over the last five or so days? They didn't change the APN with the name change or anything?

I still get a high signal strength, but really horrible timeouts on my data. It's most noticeable in an online android game I play, in which things that used to respond instantly can take 10 to 20 seconds now. I checked, I haven't used more than 700 mb of data in the last month, so it's not like they capped me or something.

I'm on Cricket too and lately I've been noticing service dropouts all the loving time. Can't tell if it's my phone or what, but I'm thinking maybe it's a local tower issue rather than a Cricket issue. So, maybe my post has nothing to do with yours...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ok, finally home now. I'll start working on an OP. Since it's my first OP, I'll probably borrow a bunch from this one. :v:

So far, on my list I have:

AIO Cricket 2.0
GoPhone
Straight Talk/Net10
SIMple Mobile
Harbor Mobile
Verizon Prepaid
Sprint Preapaid
AT&T Prepaid
T-Mobile $30/mo plan
Boost Mobile
Virgin Mobile
H2O
Ting
Red Pocket

From OP:
Voyager Mobile
PagePlus
MetroPCS
U-Prepaid

...am I missing anyone?

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 10, 2014

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
Also do the weird T-Mobile MLM one. Solavei, or whatever it is. I see them recommended a lot for people who have good T-M coverage.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Please feel free to borrow from the current OP. If you want to keep coverage maps, you'll need to grab updated ones.

Here's what I said before:

Rastor posted:

I'm not really interested in doing a new OP.

If anyone else is, he/she may find prepaidphonenews.com to be helpful. For example:

AT&T and AT&T MVNOs Compared

T-Mobile and T-Mobile MVNOs Compared

Sprint and Sprint MVNOs Compared

Verizon and Verizon MVNOs Compared

Overview of prepaid plans which include data

http://www.phonenews.com/ also posts prepaid news but really just https://prepaidphonenews.com and the discussions in this thread should be plenty to keep you updated.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

ThermoPhysical posted:

So far, on my list I have:

:words:

...am I missing anyone?

You might as well group the MVNOs by carrier. There's not much reason for someone to start comparing service package offerings without the context of coverage.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

sweart gliwere posted:

You might as well group the MVNOs by carrier. There's not much reason for someone to start comparing service package offerings without the context of coverage.

Yeah, that list is unordered, I'll be listing by carrier and see if I can remember the URLs for those websites (and the apps) that show carrier coverage.

While I'm typing up this new thread, anyone have any ideas for a thread title? :v:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yeah, that list is unordered, I'll be listing by carrier and see if I can remember the URLs for those websites (and the apps) that show carrier coverage.

While I'm typing up this new thread, anyone have any ideas for a thread title? :v:

Prepaid Smartphone Thread: How to pay a fair price for lovely Sprint service

E: I've noticed a bit of slowness as well, but not timeouts or anything.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
Prepaid Smartphone Thread: Just get Cricket

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
My Cricket was slow yesterday but seems sort of back to normal-ish today.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I did a prepaid comparison chart on NEOGAF before they premabanned me. gently caress these PC assholes :argh:

Feel free to steal and reuse it.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
You should upload that to a public googledoc

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

whatever7 posted:

I did a prepaid comparison chart on NEOGAF before they premabanned me. gently caress these PC assholes :argh:

Feel free to steal and reuse it.

Oh fuckin' sweet. This'll help immensely. I'll toss it up into the OP as an image for now but transfer it into a Google Sheets thing in the meantime.

Thanks!

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lblitzer posted:

You should upload that to a public googledoc

It is on public google doc

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

whatever7 posted:

It is on public google doc

It is? Can you link to it?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ThermoPhysical posted:

It is? Can you link to it?

The chart is a link, can you not click on it?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ai8ZiATihYWQdE9hNE5iZDhmUFFFWF9WcnVUT0JyeVE&usp=drive_web#gid=0

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Huh. Actually, it only enlarged the image for me at first but seems to work now... huh.

Ah well. I'll link to it in the OP then.

Thanks again!

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Anyone know which AT&T MVNO has the cheapest voice minutes (no data needed?). A relative of mine only wants voice, no data. Don't mind buying a bulk yearlong voice card either.

Edit: I just realized that she doesn't need that many voice minutes either, H20 wireless has a $10 plan that lasts 90 days and gives 200 minutes, that seems perfect. Is there any other plan that can beat that?

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 10, 2014

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ThermoPhysical posted:

Huh. Actually, it only enlarged the image for me at first but seems to work now... huh.

Ah well. I'll link to it in the OP then.

Thanks again!

No problem. I added Harbor Mobile since its the new hotness.

Let me clarify, these plans are optimized for smartphones only.

I have another chart on the doc for the cheap rear end dumb phones only, to be honest with you I didn't spend time to maintain that chat because whats the point? You can get free plans from Ring plus.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 10, 2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Just as a heads up, talked with Harbor about moving from tmobile's dork plan to their 40$ plan but they DO NOT port from tmobile.

Rep suggested going from tmobile to google voice, and then porting it over from there to Harbor.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010
Nice doc but it's missing the Page Plus $30 plan for 1200 minutes, 3000 texts, and 500 MB data.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Rep suggested going from tmobile to google voice, and then porting it over from there to Harbor.
Google Voice ports can be very difficult, I do NOT recommend going that route.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Rastor posted:

Google Voice ports can be very difficult, I do NOT recommend going that route.

I'd only recommend porting into Google Voice but is the general consensus now to just leave GV alone or what? I mean I know what I personally would do but if I'm outvoted then I'll just put what's best in the OP.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LiftAuff posted:

Nice doc but it's missing the Page Plus $30 plan for 1200 minutes, 3000 texts, and 500 MB data.

Its kind of competitive, I added it in for you.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'd only recommend porting into Google Voice but is the general consensus now to just leave GV alone or what? I mean I know what I personally would do but if I'm outvoted then I'll just put what's best in the OP.
GV has a lot of nice features and useful in many ways but some people find the lack of support for MMS (picture texts) / group texts, especially with iPhone users, to be a dealbreaker.

I wasn't saying don't use GV, only don't expect porting out of it to be straightforward or fast.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
Awesome chart! Small correction - cricket's $40 plan is 500MB, not 250MB

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

clockworx posted:

Awesome chart! Small correction - cricket's $40 plan is 500MB, not 250MB

Yeah, and ST is 3.5 GB, not 2.5.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

My wife needs a phone for the next week for reasons (FedEx sucks). All she needs is text and voice, no data. We do need to get the phone in person this weekend. Is a Go Phone from Walmart on the $25 unlimited voice/SMS plan with no data the most part economical way to do this? Are any of the low end handsets worth a drat? Is there a better way? Buying a used phone is basically a non starter because I won't be around to troubleshoot, and we have no old handsets to activate.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Loucks posted:

My wife needs a phone for the next week for reasons (FedEx sucks). All she needs is text and voice, no data. We do need to get the phone in person this weekend. Is a Go Phone from Walmart on the $25 unlimited voice/SMS plan with no data the most part economical way to do this? Are any of the low end handsets worth a drat? Is there a better way? Buying a used phone is basically a non starter because I won't be around to troubleshoot, and we have no old handsets to activate.

Have you asked around with friends/family/coworkers? Chances are you know somebody who has a spare phone and wouldn't miss it for a few weeks. I'd troll for an unlocked and reset phone lent from someone I trust before buying the cheapest convenient handset. Think of your nerdiest buddy, and borrow his least-favorite Nexus.

(still got the G-Nexus in a desk drawer, specifically for travel-lending and fallback)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Loucks posted:

For a dumbphone you can probably pick up one with a month of service from Walmart Straight Talk for like $40 ($30 service, $10 phone)

• Locked thread