Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

Automatic updates that download at ten times the speed of GOG's is kind of nice.

E: and don't take loving forever to install

Then uh haha why didn't you buy it from steam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

Automatic updates that download at ten times the speed of GOG's is kind of nice.

E: and don't take loving forever to install

Sometimes it's nice not having your saves or game itself bungled by updates. My gog speed is just as fast as my steam speed so I dunno.

Seriously why didn't you buy it on steam?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mortimer posted:

Sometimes it's nice not having your saves or game itself bungled by updates. My gog speed is just as fast as my steam speed so I dunno.

Seriously why didn't you buy it on steam?

Hey, I'm not the one who asked the original question, I'm just suggesting reasons why someone might prefer something on Steam to GOG. Maybe you should be asking Angry Lobster instead?

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I don't get why people always seem to ask if a game bought on a competitor digital download store will work on steam if the game isn't steamworks. yeah I'm sure steam would love to let you download stuff from their servers for free.

anwyay gog's download speeds are almost always perfectly fine for me.

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

Megadyptes posted:

I don't get why people always seem to ask if a game bought on a competitor digital download store will work on steam if the game isn't steamworks. yeah I'm sure steam would love to let you download stuff from their servers for free.

They actually do love it because it brings people into their Eco system. This is why on every other major download store you get steam keys for everything. (Humble, green man gaming, gamers gate, ...) And if I remember correctly indie developers can create steam keys for free once they are in the shop system. You almost always get a steam key to your drm free copy when you buy from developers directly.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Megadyptes posted:

Probably because a lot of things from amazon and the humble bundles and probably some other places too do actually let you install it in steam? It's pretty common for things you buy elsewhere to activate on steam.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Eulisker posted:

They actually do love it because it brings people into their Eco system. This is why on every other major download store you get steam keys for everything. (Humble, green man gaming, gamers gate, ...) And if I remember correctly indie developers can create steam keys for free once they are in the shop system. You almost always get a steam key to your drm free copy when you buy from developers directly.

Flame112 posted:

Probably because a lot of things from amazon and the humble bundles and probably some other places too do actually let you install it in steam? It's pretty common for things you buy elsewhere to activate on steam.

Now that I think of it, apart from the Witcher thing, I've only once gotten a GOG key from a 3rd-party site. IndieGameStand.com, if memory serves.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Megadyptes posted:

Considering that Valve is happy with letting people download stuff bought from practically all other digital distributors not called GOG for free, I can kinda understand why people ask.

Honestly, I wouldn't be too surprised if sales would increase noticeably if GOG also allowed developers to include an optional Steam key with their GOG game, either explicitly or underhandedly (see also Race The Sun, where if you active the code on the Flippfly's website for leaderboard purposes, you'll get an optional Steam key). I also realise that would result in the mother and father of all :qq: sessions on the GOG forums, since it's one of the last bastions of the :tinfoil: "Steam is PURE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVIL!" :tinfoil: brigade.

That also said, I would also like GOG to emulate Steam in the ability for developers to hand out codes to register their games on GOG. It'll be nice to reduce the number of locations I need to download games off of down to four (Steam, GOG, Humble and Desura).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Megadyptes posted:

Every other digital distributor regularly gives out Steam codes, even if they have their own client/download-infrastructure.

GOG is just somewhat special like that because their no-DRM commitment (and that for the longest time there was very little intersectionality between GOG and Steam's catalogues)

I suppose though that there's no reason they couldn't do that now if they really wanted to, although I'm betting they think a Steam-esque client in the form of GOG Galaxy would reduce peoples' desire for full Steam integration.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Delusibeta posted:

I also realise that would result in the mother and father of all :qq: sessions on the GOG forums, since it's one of the last bastions of the :tinfoil: "Steam is PURE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVIL!" :tinfoil: brigade.

I thought the last bastion was and always will be the paradox games forums?

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

not every game on other sites gets you steam keys, in my experience its only the steamworks games that require steam to run, which is becoming increasingly common. still got a bunch of games bought on other sites over the years that I can't activate on steam.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Megadyptes posted:

not every game on other sites gets you steam keys, in my experience its only the steamworks games that require steam to run, which is becoming increasingly common. still got a bunch of games bought on other sites over the years that I can't activate on steam.

A majority of the games in my steam library (~700 games) were purchased on other sites. It's very common.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I'm still failing to understand why, if you want a game on Steam, you would buy a non-Steam version.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
You can both want to have games available through the Steam client and also have the option to not be married to Steam to use that game in the future. These aren't mutually exclusive desires.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Jamesman posted:

I'm still failing to understand why, if you want a game on Steam, you would buy a non-Steam version.

In my case, I bought Witcher 2 on GOG because it was cheaper in dollars than in euros, which Steam uses. It's not like I regret it, but I just don't care enough about DRM-free games to want to deal with manual updating and general lack of Steam features for a modern game. I have a lot of games on GOG, but they are primarily old, and I doubt I'll buy Witcher 3, or any other modern game, through them.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 7, 2014

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

and general lack of Steam features

Oh those nebulous "steam features" that are always brought up. I do love those unnamed steam features that aren't easily rectified by adding the exe as a non-steam game.

Manual updating isn't a problem for 99.9% of releases. The only real feature I wish steam would change (but never will) is how even if you add say, Papers Please, as a non-steam game, it obviously won't show up in your steam library and someone could easily double-gift you a copy without knowing it. Valve likes this, because it means people get to spend more money on stuff they otherwise wouldn't.

mbt fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 7, 2014

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jamesman posted:

Personally I like having a game on Steam because it's integrated into the client, which is cool for a whole bunch of reasons, but I also like having the same game on GOG/non-DRM-whatever so I can carry it on a thumb drive and play it wherever.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Mortimer posted:

Oh those nebulous "steam features" that are always brought up. I do love those unnamed steam features that aren't easily rectified by adding the exe as a non-steam game.

Well, for one there are no achievements, which I normally don't care about, but I did for Witcher 2 since it's one of my favourite games of the past decade. You're right, though, but I've never used that shortcut feature in Steam, and I don't really see the point. All or nothing, baby :getin:

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 7, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jamesman posted:

Sometimes other sites have better deals at sales time, although this summer that hasn't really been the case (Amazon, GMG, Gamersgate sales have been AWFUL). GOG had some of the biggest markdowns on indie titles this summer, and if those games also gave Steam keys it would have been nuts.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
Also, games often go on sale on other sites. For example: I got The Inner World on sale at GamersGate for 3.75 when it was 15 on Steam. I didn't even realize it would give me a Steam key until after I bought it. In fact, of all the games I've had on steam, I've probably bought less than 25% from Steam directly.

Edit: Well, guess I should have refreshed before posting since this question was answered multiple times over since I started this post.

choobs fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 7, 2014

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I have a USB flightstick controller and a burning desire to replay old wing commander games from GoG. I have heard that GoG uses some kind of dosbox trickery to work its magic to make things work on newer PCs. Does anyone know if it'll support my USB flightstick? (It's a Microsoft Sidewinder 3D or some such)

I'm trying to browse their site to find out, but at work it's loading super slowly for some reason.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

DosBox supports joysticks, so probably yeah. Sure works fine with my old Precision Pro 2.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

People are reporting that the version of Z that is up on gog.com is a port of the android/iOS version and that the controls and screen scrolling are all messed up to the point of being unplayable.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Entorwellian posted:

People are reporting that the version of Z that is up on gog.com is a port of the android/iOS version and that the controls and screen scrolling are all messed up to the point of being unplayable.

Surely a rectifiable mistake?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The question about steam was because I like to be able to have a game in multiple sites with a single code,for example I bought Dominions 4 on Desura and entered it in steam too. In the case of Xenonauts, I prefer GoG because it's cheaper due to no $=€ shenanigans. I suppose I like to accumulate endless games on steam, though.

Entorwellian posted:

Bought it in GoG, it's not as responsive as I would have liked, and the mouse controls are not as intuitive as other RTS's, you use left click for select/attack but to select multiple units you need to use right click. Aside from that, it's playable enough.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

khy posted:

I have a USB flightstick controller and a burning desire to replay old wing commander games from GoG. I have heard that GoG uses some kind of dosbox trickery to work its magic to make things work on newer PCs. Does anyone know if it'll support my USB flightstick? (It's a Microsoft Sidewinder 3D or some such)

I'm trying to browse their site to find out, but at work it's loading super slowly for some reason.

Some games you might have to go into the Dosbox settings and change the joystick setting, but that's not hard to do. Strike Commander worked fine with no modifications using my Saitek stick.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Has anyone got an opinion on Sensible Soccer? I remember it being fun but insanely hard.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Red_Fred posted:

Has anyone got an opinion on Sensible Soccer? I remember it being fun but insanely hard.

I have no nostalgia goggles on the game, but there's something very exquisite and complete about it, yet it's abstract and cute enough to be fun and just a bit adorable. It's just a pleasingly balanced game in terms of its design and features. I'm not a video games journalist so I don't have enough buzzwords to describe it much better than that.

I find it hard because its controls are roughly analogous to a fighting game, in that you have to ingrain them into muscle memory to get any good at it. It jams a ton of functionality into a single button joystick, or in my case, a joypad. But the ride to competence is fun enough for me, even if I'm no drat good at it yet.

I also don't give two and a half shits for soccer/football, and yet I like it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm starting to tick off my backlog and Divine Divinity is loving brutal. I made it through the first dungeon after a 6 hour war of attrition. Magic is actually far more useful (at least in the beginning) than melee. I'm playing the warrior class but if I hadn't lucked out and got the magic shurikens spell in the first house I wouldn't have finished this dungeon.

I heard the deadly scorpion makes the game too easy but I've also heard it was nerfed so I don't want to put any points into the trap skill. And alchemy 1 seems really useless because you can't actually pick herbs until alchemy 2?

e: I have to say, I appreciate the trope subversion when you meet the big bad guy at the bottom of the dungeon. You resurrect this evil rear end in a top hat who's ready to take over the world. Suddenly he realizes how much it sucks to be undead, regrets the pain and torture he inflicted on his servants, and begs that you kill him which triggers his servants to attack you out of anger.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 8, 2014

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Alchemy 1 is useful in that you can drag minor healing and magic potions on top of each other to combine them into restoration potions, which makes them much more useful.

After the first dungeon the game becomes more like the old Ultima games than the 5 floor Diablo-like dungeon crawl it's been at first but I just couldn't get over the controls being finicky and every interior being pitch black outside of a tiny radius surrounding the protagonist.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

The biggest game breaking power in divine divinity is the floorspike spell followed closely by lvl5 trap skill with death scorpions.
Enemy bosses in Divine Divinity WILL chain attack you with floorspikes and there's no easy counter againist them.
...besides counter-attacking with floorspikes or getting a stunlock chain going.

floorspike spell eats up mana only, while the trap skill w/death scorpions needs consumable items+mana.
aka floorspike method is easier. death scorpion method requires more planning & item hoarding.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Being a Mage is pretty awesome once you get that second teleporter stone/pyramid. Just drop one near a bed (like the one you're given in the beginning of the game), go into combat, spam the crap out of your spells, drop the other stone and use it, snooze, go back and repeat.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I always have my Steam opened because I have a lot of friends who I play videogames with, it has basically replaced messengers for me. When I go to play a game that isn't DOTA2 or CS:GO I usually open up my Steam to see what I want to play. I like that I can right click the single icon on my taskbar and have my history and pinned games. I like being able to hit the Community page and quickly find guides for some games without googling them. I like the Steam Workshop for DLC for many different games. I like getting trading cards that I can sell for literal pennies to save money on future games. Steam is cool stuff.

edit: Another thing I like about Steam is that if I see someone that I play DOTA2 with playing CS or some other multiplayer game even if it's not someone I play with all the time I now have someone else to play that game with even if I might've never asked them while playing DOTA.

Wezlar fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jul 9, 2014

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I didn't get quuuuite the detailed answers I was hoping for in the Old-school PC gaming thread so I am gonna try here - I am looking to get cracking with Temple of Elemental Evil at long last, after my first playthrough way back when it came out was hindered by an impassable bug.

I have the Circle of Eight modpack and I think I am going to install all the extra content - so what is the best way to get the most out of this game as I highly doubt I will play it again just given how many games I now own on Steam and GOG :argh: - so any mod recommendations, 'what should I know before I play', party suggestions are welcome. I am taking up the advice of duelling a rogue and a few levels of barbarian, probably have a character focused purely on range, and then of course a mage and a cleric... but what about the others?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Mierenneuker posted:

Being a Mage is pretty awesome once you get that second teleporter stone/pyramid. Just drop one near a bed (like the one you're given in the beginning of the game), go into combat, spam the crap out of your spells, drop the other stone and use it, snooze, go back and repeat.

You can also create a makeshift bed from mashing two bundles of hay together in Divine Divinity. Makeshift bed can be put in your inventory. So you can drop the makeshift bed in a cleared out section/level of a dungeon and do a shorter pyramid warp for dungeon exploration purposes.

BadAstronaut posted:

I am looking to get cracking with Temple of Elemental Evil at long last, after my first playthrough way back when it came out was hindered by an impassable bug.

I have the Circle of Eight modpack and I think I am going to install all the extra content - so what is the best way to get the most out of this game as I highly doubt I will play it again just given how many games I now own on Steam and GOG :argh: - so any mod recommendations, 'what should I know before I play', party suggestions are welcome. I am taking up the advice of duelling a rogue and a few levels of barbarian, probably have a character focused purely on range, and then of course a mage and a cleric... but what about the others?

I have the same issue with ToEE.
ToEE is one of the first games to really adhere to the D&D 3.5 ruleset. So basically read up on D&D 3.5 ruleset and go from there.
hint: Caster classes are overwhelmingly powerful in D&D 3.5

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

BadAstronaut posted:

I didn't get quuuuite the detailed answers I was hoping for in the Old-school PC gaming thread so I am gonna try here - I am looking to get cracking with Temple of Elemental Evil at long last, after my first playthrough way back when it came out was hindered by an impassable bug.

All wizards, it's 3.5

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
ToEE is sort of technically E6 (as in you'll be within that level range for the first half of the game), so you're at the level where Fighters aren't complete and utter garbage and Wizards haven't replaced every non-Cleric/Druid class yet. I'd totally run one Fighter and one Rogue if you want to make the early game easier on yourself at the expense of making the later game harder.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I had a lot of fun throwing in a bard. I picked a gnome as the race as well, as I found the thought of the party's diplomat being a gnome amusing. The song buffs and the enchantment spells certainly don't hurt either.

BTW Divinity: Original Sin is now available on GOG, if you haven't obtained it already.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Quest for Infamy was released today. It was made by Infamous Quests. Sounds like a niche company.

It looks pretty silly but also really big with branching paths and stuff. Never heard of it, was this a Kickstarter or something? One of the reviews mentioned a demo, I think I'll check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
It was a Kickstarter and is published by Phoenix Games, who did Silver Lining and published Jane Jenson's Mobeus.

It's a :qfg:-like but, to crosspost from another thread:

Oh, yeah, OK, that's a crappy looking bear, but that's just one thing right? I'm sure the game doesn't still conform to creepy gamer tropes of sexism and

Surely they didn't sell in-game character slots to backers, so their fantasy world is full of monied nerds?

:smith: