Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Alhazred posted:

I like how the police shouts holy poo poo when you disarm them in Mirror's Edge.

The enemies in FEAR also swear. You have bullet time powers. It's hilarious chucking a grenade, activating the bullet time, and hearing someone go "HOLY gently caress!" in slow motion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Mirror's edge has the best falling animation.
It feels like I'm actually hitting the ground.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

scarycave posted:

Mirror's edge has the best falling animation.
It feels like I'm actually hitting the ground.

Yeah the falling animation is nice, but the "fall dead on the ground" is ther same as the one in BF3, which my little brother who watches me play, had to point out for me.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

Kikas posted:

Yeah the falling animation is nice, but the "fall dead on the ground" is ther same as the one in BF3, which my little brother who watches me play, had to point out for me.

IIRC during development the BF3 team didn't have neat animations for falling and mantling objects until someone pointed out the leftover Mirror's Edge resources they had lying around (both being EA games)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Big Grunty Secret posted:

IIRC during development the BF3 team didn't have neat animations for falling and mantling objects until someone pointed out the leftover Mirror's Edge resources they had lying around (both being :dice: games)

More accurate.

I wonder how the new Mirrors Edge will handle this. I'm hoping for the same level of stomach churning.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I'm hoping for more combat

... said no one, ever.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Starhawk64 posted:

The enemies in FEAR also swear. You have bullet time powers. It's hilarious chucking a grenade, activating the bullet time, and hearing someone go "HOLY gently caress!" in slow motion.

Rainbow Six Vegas had some fun enemy dialogue too. My favorite was the deadpan "poo poo. Bitch owed me money." when you killed someone.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Bioshock 1 + 2 has some a ton of enemy reactions and just general chit-chat when they're walking around. They range from completely messed up to genuinely sad.

The Swarm reactions are the best one though. Bees for everyone!

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Not enemy dialogue but the Halo games have always had an absurd amount of dialogue for the marines. I'm curious just how much there is because going back and playing it years later here and there I feel like there's something new that crops up.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Tracula posted:

Not enemy dialogue but the Halo games have always had an absurd amount of dialogue for the marines. I'm curious just how much there is because going back and playing it years later here and there I feel like there's something new that crops up.

I enjoyed how some of the Grunt's dialogue was the same as the NPC's in Marathon.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Far Cry 2 had my favorite enemy dialogue by far. If you're fighting a successful guerrilla battle against them, springing from the shadows just long enough to pop a couple people and then disappear again, the enemies will refer to you as if you were more than one person, things like "Where are they?" "I don't see them!," etc. If you abandon the guerrilla approach and charge in guns blazing, they'll all be shocked that it was just you. "How the gently caress was it just one man??"

My favorite incident, though, was when I was doing one of these guerrilla attacks on a train yard. I start creeping through the tall grass to sneak up on a couple guys who seem to be hanging around after one of my raids. As I get closer, though, I see they're standing over the corpse of a guy I had killed a couple minutes earlier, and I overhear this conversation (imagine this in the most :smith: voices possible): "Oh, poo poo, he got the new guy. What was his name, again?" "J.T. ... It was J.T. :("

Another one, and probably the most impressed I've ever been at AI behavior in any game, has to do with the fact that if you non-fatally wound an enemy, there's a chance they'll go down, at which point their buddies will try to rush over and drag them away to safety. So I put a guy into this wounded state and leave an IED next to him for his buddies. As the other bad guys rush over to him, though, he actually shouts out "stay back, there's a bomb!" causing his friends to stop dead and start rushing away from him. I've never seen an enemy warn his friends about a trap like that before.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Far Cry 2 had my favorite enemy dialogue by far. If you're fighting a successful guerrilla battle against them, springing from the shadows just long enough to pop a couple people and then disappear again, the enemies will refer to you as if you were more than one person, things like "Where are they?" "I don't see them!," etc. If you abandon the guerrilla approach and charge in guns blazing, they'll all be shocked that it was just you. "How the gently caress was it just one man??"

My favorite incident, though, was when I was doing one of these guerrilla attacks on a train yard. I start creeping through the tall grass to sneak up on a couple guys who seem to be hanging around after one of my raids. As I get closer, though, I see they're standing over the corpse of a guy I had killed a couple minutes earlier, and I overhear this conversation (imagine this in the most :smith: voices possible): "Oh, poo poo, he got the new guy. What was his name, again?" "J.T. ... It was J.T. :("

Another one, and probably the most impressed I've ever been at AI behavior in any game, has to do with the fact that if you non-fatally wound an enemy, there's a chance they'll go down, at which point their buddies will try to rush over and drag them away to safety. So I put a guy into this wounded state and leave an IED next to him for his buddies. As the other bad guys rush over to him, though, he actually shouts out "stay back, there's a bomb!" causing his friends to stop dead and start rushing away from him. I've never seen an enemy warn his friends about a trap like that before.

I was born in SA and I love that some of the mercenaries you fight yell poo poo out in Afrikaans.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
Speaking of funny Halo dialogue, here's a whole playlist just for stuff from Halo 3 (mainly enemy dialogue, but with some friendlies thrown in too). "You shot me, fool!"

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I had an awesome moment while taking down a checkpoint. I wiped it out except for two guys, but had to duck into some grass to hide and heal up. As I crept back to where the enemies were, I could hear them talking. They were absolutely freaked out, wondering who I was, if I was from the CIA, etc. Then they kept talking and started to get themselves pumped up, saying "Let's do this!" before charging right past me into the brush where I had fled before.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

7u880y posted:

In Batman: Arkham City's Catwoman DLC Catwoman is a playable character and is extremely sexy. One of her moves is a sliding attack where you run and then slide into enemies in order to knock them over. Functionally, Batman has the same attack, but Catwoman's is kicked up a notch.

When Batman does the sliding attack he does the kind of slide you see baseball players do when they slide for a base, it looks OK and it is powerful, but Catwoman's sliding attack is just as powerful and several times more sexy. What she does is; 1) she gets on her knees, 2) she leans really far backwards so she is almost lying down 3) she spreads her legs, all of which is sexy individually, but when put together and accompined with her battle moans is probably the single most sexy move in the Arkham Series.

Well that certainly was Something Awful.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I, for one, would like to know about the almost as sexy moves in Arkham history. The runners-up.

codenameFANGIO has a new favorite as of 04:02 on Jul 11, 2014

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Can we get an itemized list of video game moves on the sexy axis? I need an executive summary.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Tracula posted:

There is a loving crazy amount of dialogue in all the halo games
Just browsing this page it's insane
http://halo.bungie.org/misc/dialogue

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJkCWQcZYKo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TontoCorazon posted:

There is a loving crazy amount of dialogue in all the halo games
Just browsing this page it's insane
http://halo.bungie.org/misc/dialogue

There's an easter egg in most of the Halo games that will rearrange the dialog tables so that rare phrases become much more likely to be said, and there are some real gems in there.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I believe the dialogue in Halo 2 would change depending on the difficulty. Just do the mission where you start with a tank on the bridge, Johnson has a different speech on each difficulty.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Leal posted:

I believe the dialogue in Halo 2 would change depending on the difficulty. Just do the mission where you start with a tank on the bridge, Johnson has a different speech on each difficulty.

Yeah, this was also the case for Apone's Johnson's briefing in the original game. I love that on higher-difficulties he gets even crazier/badass in the original. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGM9t5VMyYA

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Even the cutscenes in general in the halo games would change subtly depending on the difficulty, like stuff that wasn't even important

http://halo3cinema.bungie.org/halo2/14_helljumpersdiff_hd.wmv

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Holy poo poo that's awesome. I know I'm a console scrublord or whatever for it but I genuinely love the Halo series (the games Bungie has done at least :can:) and it blows my mind how much detail they put into everything.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

carry on then posted:

Can we get an itemized list of video game moves on the sexy axis? I need an executive summary.

The sexiest move in all of video game history is Raiden's naked cartwheel in MGS2.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Tracula posted:

Holy poo poo that's awesome. I know I'm a console scrublord or whatever for it but I genuinely love the Halo series (the games Bungie has done at least :can:) and it blows my mind how much detail they put into everything.

It's legit one of the reasons I love bungie and the halo series so much. An insane amount of care and love went into those games.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

carry on then posted:

There just has to be a ScrewAttack video about that.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

My Lovely Horse posted:

There just has to be a ScrewAttack video about that.

http://www.screwattack.com/shows/partners/game-theory/game-theory-boobs

http://www.screwattack.com/shows/originals/screwattack-top-10s/top-ten-boobies

Probably :nws: on those. Close enough?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

JebanyPedal posted:

I was born in SA and I love that some of the mercenaries you fight yell poo poo out in Afrikaans.

Stuff like that is unsettling when you're so used to being yelled at in English, alien languages or beastly growls. I just started replaying Hitman: Contracts and even though I know it has stages in Rotterdam, the Dutch bikers still caught me off-guard (again).

It's pretty funny how they used someone with an accent originating from the Antilles for the big, burly, white guards though.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Starhawk64 posted:

Blacklist has the single greatest line if you keep slipping into air vents during a fight:

"He's in the loving VENTS. AGAIN. :byodood:"

The guy just sounds so exasperated and whiny.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That could as well be from Deus Ex. I went into vents so much I started feeling like a spider with a tranq rifle. One of the bits that analyzes your gameplay choices should have been like "unfortunately the augmentations instilled an irrational fear of open space in Jensen's mind."

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
The Far Cry 2 talk reminded me of one time I cleared out an outpost, and I knew from my recon that I'd killed all but one guy. I'm stalking along the edge of the road past some little huts when I hear clear as day someone whistle from inside the hut to my left, as I was passing its open door. An obvious "hey look over here" kind of whistle. I stopped, turned and looked into the gloom (Another little thing about Far Cry 2 was how your eyes would have to adjust to interior and exterior lighting) then walked in, confused because the hut was empty. Once I was in the center of the hut, standing there like an idiot, I saw a hand grenade get tossed neatly in through the open window and land at my feet. I had enough time to think "No way the AI just do that..." when I got blown to poo poo.

To this day, it still sticks in my mind as one of the best AI tricks I've seen. The crafty little bastard literally use an obvious lure on me into a trap, the kind I've used on countless idiot enemies in countless games. I'm incredibly disapointed that Far Cry 3 doesn't have the awesome AI tricks and features that Far Cry 2 had.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Blacklist has the single greatest line if you keep slipping into air vents during a fight:

"He's in the loving VENTS. AGAIN. :byodood:"

The guy just sounds so exasperated and whiny.

The Splinter Cell games have always had great dialogue. Same as the Batman Arkham series, the leftover NPC's get progressively more freaked out until its one guy screaming at the walls and firing randomly into the darkness.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I didn't notice this when I was playing, but I was checking out a Borderlands 2 video, and near the beginning, when Hammerlock is talking to you over the radio, you can actually walk up to him, and the radio switched to hearing him near you, as he's broadcasting what he's saying to you. Pretty neat, and given what (little?) I know of audio middleware, not even a tough trick to pull off.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, every character in Borderlands 2 will do that. It's a clever way to keep you from missing out on dialog and also save you from having to stand around doing nothing else while they talk.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Borderlands 2 is good for that - not so much for speech cutting out when you go to far, or important dialogue ending because Jack decided to randomly interrupt. So much missed dialogue because of that

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Far Cry 2 had a lot of issues (suicidal enemy car AI, half assed bus based fast travel etc...), but drat if it didn't have a lot of cool small details.

Not just the enemy AI, but the buddy system was pretty decent. You'd be randomly paired up with one of the player characters you didn't select as a partner. Before most missions they'd give you an optional objective which if completed would give you some sort of advantage in the main mission. More importantly though, if you went down in a fight they'd appear to drag your rear end to cover and revive you, then help you fight off whoever just killed you.

You could also revive them if they went down. The brutal part was you could only do it a limited number of times across all missions (three times I think). After that, instead of the normal revive animation you got one where they instead would scream about not wanting to be taken alive and start pulling your gun towards their face.

Your only options are to let them bleed out (while they scream at you the whole time) or mercy kill them :smith: .

Far Cry 2 was dark man....

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

pentyne posted:

The Splinter Cell games have always had great dialogue. Same as the Batman Arkham series, the leftover NPC's get progressively more freaked out until its one guy screaming at the walls and firing randomly into the darkness.

Chaos Theory had some funny exchanges but Conviction has the mouthiest thugs. That Penny Arcade cartoon is not exaggerating. It works in the game's favor, though, because I'm all for shooting a guy in the face for calling my dead daughter a whore.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Far Cry 2 had a lot of issues (suicidal enemy car AI, half assed bus based fast travel etc...), but drat if it didn't have a lot of cool small details.

Not just the enemy AI, but the buddy system was pretty decent. You'd be randomly paired up with one of the player characters you didn't select as a partner. Before most missions they'd give you an optional objective which if completed would give you some sort of advantage in the main mission. More importantly though, if you went down in a fight they'd appear to drag your rear end to cover and revive you, then help you fight off whoever just killed you.

You could also revive them if they went down. The brutal part was you could only do it a limited number of times across all missions (three times I think). After that, instead of the normal revive animation you got one where they instead would scream about not wanting to be taken alive and start pulling your gun towards their face.

Your only options are to let them bleed out (while they scream at you the whole time) or mercy kill them :smith: .

Far Cry 2 was dark man....
You could also find yourself in a situation where there is no chance that they will be able to be saved but will whimper for morphine anyway, and if you do give it to them they just die semi-blissfully anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Finished playing through Wild Arms XF a little while ago. One thing that I liked was that each of the main crew have their own lines they sometimes say when their turn comes around. As your progress through the main story and their individual arcs, though, they each pick up additional lines they can use, adding a little more personality to each of them. A really little thing, but I liked it. :3: