Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Rhyno posted:

David Gabriel (Marvel VP of Marketing)'s wet dream is to get all those licensed properties back. I know he was super excited at the prospect of Disney buying Hasbro.

Dude, it's mine too. I want Godzilla to gently caress up a bunch of sentinels that identify him as a mutant. Then they have to build a new sentinel called MECHAGODZILLA.

VVVVVVVVVVVVV
I wish the Essential Godzilla collection wasn't 40 bucks. I need to read that poo poo ASAP.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Unmature posted:

Dude, it's mine too. I want Godzilla to gently caress up a bunch of sentinels that identify him as a mutant. Then they have to build a new sentinel called MECHAGODZILLA.

I want this

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

greatn posted:

What the hell is ROM? Aside from Quark's nephew and read only memory?

The backstory of ROM is that 200 years ago the people of the advanced planet of Galador were in a war with the evil shape shifting Dire Wraiths (they're like Skrulls but more evil and they also use a lot of magic in addition to technology.) In order to combat them Galador sacrificed the best and the brightest of their youth to become cybernetic "Space Knights." ROM was the first to volunteer for the procedure and was the greatest of them. Space Knights were all basically Robocop'ed in that their bodies were chopped up to fit into the armor they wear, with the promise of restoration when the war ended. Galador won the war driving the Dire Wraiths from their homeworld and out of the region but they didn't kill all of them so ROM started hunting them across the galaxy. After 200 years of this he arrives on Earth which the Dire Wraiths have secretly almost conquered.

Even though it was a toy tie in the only thing that really feels like it is how early on ROM doesn't kill any bad guys. Instead he has a gun that banishes them to Limbo which everyone constantly calls a fate worse than death. Although a major conflict is that only ROM can tell when someone is a Dire Wraith so a lot of the time everyone thought he was just straight up murdering random people.

The weirdest thing about the whole situation is that Marvel owns everything about ROM's book but not the character itself so stuff like Galador, the Space Knights and Dire Wraiths all make appearances in modern books. Galador itself was just blown up at the start of last year's Infinity event.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Don't forget his deadliest foe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwHq6lDG4jE

Sturm
Oct 19, 2003

It's Xander or Sgt. Fury
So most of the stuff that Marvel is putting out has been pretty good, was thinking about trying to get into some DC but I hear the opposite is true.

Which DC titles are currently worthwhile? What's worth going back and reading out of the New 52 stuff?

Unmature
May 9, 2008
It's only one issue in, but Grayson is pretty good.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sturm posted:

So most of the stuff that Marvel is putting out has been pretty good, was thinking about trying to get into some DC but I hear the opposite is true.

Which DC titles are currently worthwhile? What's worth going back and reading out of the New 52 stuff?

I liked Earth 2 but I stopped reading after Robinson left, also just finished reading Demon Knights which starts really good but ends a bit weak when the creative teams change

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I always hear people complain about continuity and writers who screw it up, but I can't think of a good example. What are some times when a writer just plain effed up continuity? Like had a character show up that was dead or something.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Unmature posted:

I always hear people complain about continuity and writers who screw it up, but I can't think of a good example. What are some times when a writer just plain effed up continuity? Like had a character show up that was dead or something.

In the most recent Ultimate X-men, when Brian Wood took over Ultimate Psylocke briefly showed up before someone reminded him she was dead (I think, it's been awhile since I read that and I didn't read the earlier stuff when she died). Supposedly that wasn't entirely his fault, he gave editorial a list of characters he wanted to use and they said okay.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Opopanax posted:

I liked Earth 2 but I stopped reading after Robinson left, also just finished reading Demon Knights which starts really good but ends a bit weak when the creative teams change

You shouldn't have dropped it. It has remained really good.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Unmature posted:

Ultimates 3

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Rhyno posted:

Let me tell you about a little thing called Doctor Who...

Splendid chaps, all of them.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Opopanax posted:

Ultimates 3

I've always avoided that. What happens?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Venom shows up even though he wasn't actually a thing that was around at the time. Loeb wrote Thor completely the opposite of how he was at the time, up to and including using a completely wrong Mjolnir.

Opopanax posted:

Ultimates 3

A lot of early Ultimate stuff was also a mess.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 11, 2014

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah muscles pretty much covered it but Loeb did not give one poo poo about continuity so he wrote pretty much everyone out of character

Unmature
May 9, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

A lot of early Ultimate stuff was also a mess.

I was a big fan of Ultimate Marvel Team Up and that was basically Bendis trying things out. Some of it. Affected the universe, but a lot of it (skrulls, white Nick Fury, totally different Iron Man, Spider-Man storming the Marvel offices) were later retconned/ignored. It was a really fun book.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Unmature posted:

I was a big fan of Ultimate Marvel Team Up and that was basically Bendis trying things out. Some of it. Affected the universe, but a lot of it (skrulls, white Nick Fury, totally different Iron Man, Spider-Man storming the Marvel offices) were later retconned/ignored. It was a really fun book.

Yeah, but I think most of that wasn't supposed to be in continuity, wasn't the first issue Ultimate Peter Parker showing up for an internship at the 616 Fantastic Four's headquarters.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't think they were explicitly supposed to be non-continuity stories. They just kind of quickly became ignored whenever someone else contradicted them.

That just reminds me of how lazy some of the Ultimate stuff was. Like Ultimate Daredevil was just... Daredevil. I don't think he even wore a different costume.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

That just reminds me of how lazy some of the Ultimate stuff was. Like Ultimate Daredevil was just... Daredevil. I don't think he even wore a different costume.

To be fair, Ultimate wasn't supposed to be different at the start, just without decades of continuity.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

WickedHate posted:

To be fair, Ultimate wasn't supposed to be different at the start, just without decades of continuity.

It got pretty different pretty quick, Ultimate X-Men and the Ultimates for instance.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

WickedHate posted:

And really, there is something to be said for not fixing things that aren't broken. Trying too hard to be new for newness' sake gives us stuff like Earth One.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

McSpanky posted:

And really, there is something to be said for not fixing things that aren't broken. Trying too hard to be new for newness' sake gives us stuff like Earth One.

I don't get the hate for Earth One(Superman, I'm assuming, haven't read any of the others). What's so bad about it?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Unmature posted:

I think the major continuity complaint is usually about ignoring character growth or history.

I don't have archives, and I don't remember what thread it was in, but someone posted a concise and kinda sweet summary of the relationship between Iron Man and Madame Masque, which based on that (I haven't read any of the actual comics) seemed like a real romance that ended tragically, like every time Daredevil and Elektra hook up. Something that Bendis used as a cheap punchline in Illuminati. I haven't been able to find a scan of it quickly, but it's the one where everyone is complaining about their wives, girlfriends and ex-girlfriends.

Or Sandman was given a long redemption arc, and then a good period of time being a good guy, and then nope, all of a sudden he's a bad guy again. Or Magneto's constant back and forth.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
That was forums cool guy Melvin The Jerk and it was an entire thread about cool couples and romances in comics.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mr. Maltose posted:

That was forums cool guy Melvin The Jerk and it was an entire thread about cool couples and romances in comics.

Was it goldmined, or if you have archives can you quote it? Because that was a pretty awesome post.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I would call early Ultimate U the opposite of lazy. It was a playground for writers to experiment without continuity dragging them down.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

ROM was the first to volunteer for the procedure and was the greatest of them. Space Knights were all basically Robocop'ed in that their bodies were chopped up to fit into the armor they wear, with the promise of restoration when the war ended.

Which reminds me of a cool piece of trivia. In RoboCop, during the convenience store scene, the comic rack is filled with ROM and Iron Man comics.

Unmature posted:

Giffen and DeMatteis decided to hell with continuity when doing their Super Buddies arcs. Guy suddenly had a yellow ring for some reason and Max Lord was no longer a cyborg supervillain.

Deadpool's backstory has been rewritten so many times that the recent run decided that a lot of it came from fake memories implanted in his brain by an evil dude who was experimenting on him.

Sturm posted:

- Batman
- Red Lanterns ONLY AFTER Charles Soule takes over at #21.
- Wonder Woman is pretty decent, but nothing seems to ever actually happen in it.
- Earth 2
- Injustice: Gods Among us/Injustice: Year 2 (not part of New 52, but current)
- Batman '66 (ditto)
- Captain Atom (lasted a mere 12 issues, but was very underrated)
- I, Vampire
- Frankenstein, Agent of SHADE
- Sinestro isn't bad so far.
- Supergirl unless it's in the middle of a Superman crossover story.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sturm posted:

Not current, but I dug Grant Morrison on Man of Steel.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Not current, but I dug Grant Morrison on Man of Steel.

You mean Action Comics?

Yeah that (AC 0-18) and in addition to those mentioned,
Grant Morrison's 'Batman Incorporated'*, Jeff Lemire's 'Animal Man' and 'Green Arrow' (#17+), Scott Snyder and then Charles Soule's 'Swamp Thing', JH Williams III & W Hadan Blackman's 'Batwoman' (provided you pick up 'Batwoman Elegy' first), Greg Pak's 'Action Comics' (#25+) and most of all, China Mieville's 'Dial H'.

*The New 52 'Batman Incorporated' volume is the culmination of years of Grant Morrison Batman comics. Can be read alone, but I'd strongly recommend reading all of his trades starting with 'Batman and Son'.

I'm also really enjoying the current 'Batman Eternal' weekly comic and Peter Tomasi's 'Batman and Robin' is fave, but that comic kind of relies on you catching up on Grant Morrison's Batman work too.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jul 11, 2014

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
A decent chunk of their digi-cyber-comics on the internet are good too. Most of them are "if you're into that kinda thing" good like the various tie-ins to Injustice, Arrow, and Batman '66. But there's also anthologies like Adventures of Superman and the upcoming Sensation Comics feat. Wonder Woman.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Injustice is pretty cool even if you don't care about the game.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I just saw a panel from Grayson #1 that had Dick fighting the Midnighter? Is Midnighter regulard DC universe now?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

I just saw a panel from Grayson #1 that had Dick fighting the Midnighter? Is Midnighter regular DC universe now?
Has been since the reboot. There was a terrible New52 DC Stormwatch comic that starred him and Apollo and whatnot.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's Batman think about all that. And is the whole Authority regular DC now?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

- Couldn't tell you

- Kind of? They're nerfed, alternate versions of their original WS characters (Apollo and Midnighter started off in the DCNu not even knowing each other, Midnighter had/has? a spike chinstrap...it's all dumb.)

DC's Stormwatch was a terrible comic and I stopped reading like 3 issues in, so if anything eventually interesting happened, beats me.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 11, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Most importantly, are Apollo and MN a gay couple?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Most importantly, are Apollo and MN a gay couple?
Guess so.

Ha ha, they literally just deleted the crappy reboot team from existence.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I dunno if Batman's met a Wildstormer yet.

I liked Stormwatch while Cornell and Milligan were doing it. Didn't even try the Starlin run.
Give it a shot.

They were also in Futures End with Hawkman and Frankenstein's fish head girlfriend on the team, but got blown up immediately.

e:

redbackground posted:

Ha ha, they literally just deleted the crappy reboot team from existence.

Reboot Midnighter and Apollo apparently came back in the last issue. I dunno to what extent Starlin's muckin' about did/changed anything in the end. Didn't read that one. But if it's any conciliation, according to Futures End, Apollo will have longer hair in five years.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 11, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

I haven't read it since the first couple of issues but the point of Stormwatch was that nobody knew they were around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

New 52 Stormwatch's whole deal is that they're so top secret nobody knows about them at all, like the Justice League mixed with the Men in Black. I'm sure if some writer wanted to he'd make Batman know because of that horseshit "he's Batman" excuse.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Reboot Midnighter and Apollo apparently came back in the last issue. I dunno to what extent Starlin's muckin' about did/changed anything in the end.

loving nothing. Apparently whoever was after Starlin for the last issue (or was it two?) of Stormwatch didn't like Starlin's run at all and decided to undo all of his stuff. Pretty funny, really.

"I don't like this reboot so I'm just gonna loving UNDO IT."
"Oh yeah, well gently caress YOUR WHOLE STORY."