Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
That's actually a pretty good example of the sort of problem I've encountered- in AC instant takedown would target or prioritize more dangerous enemies, starting with armored goons. In AO it seems to select at random. I routinely tried to use a basic strike against a normal goon and have batman target an armored or shield goon in the same area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

That's actually a pretty good example of the sort of problem I've encountered- in AC instant takedown would target or prioritize more dangerous enemies, starting with armored goons. In AO it seems to select at random. I routinely tried to use a basic strike against a normal goon and have batman target an armored or shield goon in the same area.

Can you record this happening? This, especially if it happens routinely, should be pretty trivially to replicate and would show up easily on a video. That would be a pretty good example of the combat system being wonky.

I feel weird that I keep asking for it, but this is like the sole situation I've ever seen this happen in and it just strikes me as so weird. Every other major glitch in a big title I've seen is documented to hell and back or had someone fan-mod to fix it or or something but in this case it's like the glitch equivalent of a UFO sighting.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jul 9, 2014

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

You can take most of those out instantly with any given Takedown or basically instantly with the Shock Gloves.

I know, but there's so many of them and it really messes up the flow, and you only have so many combo takedowns.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sleepy Owl posted:

I know, but there's so many of them and it really messes up the flow, and you only have so many combo takedowns.

You get 1 combo takedown every 2-5 attacks and shock gloves charge almost as quickly. Once you've leveled up (when armored guys start showing up more) you can store two takedowns at once. If anything, I would say the opposite problem is true: armored enemies are too trivialized by the mere existence of shock gloves and you never really have to consider how to handle them because you've got a win button that completely nullifies their big advantage.

I really hate the Shock Gloves. They're such a dumb upgrade because they turn the cool combat system into mindless button-mashing. They're up there for the awful concussion grenade for one of the things that Origin really hosed up from City. (except the Wii U version which had the Shcok Glove prototype shoehorned in and it sucked there too.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jul 9, 2014

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

For me, it felt like it was harder to get to those takedowns in the first place, but the probably just means I'm not as good at this game as I thought :v:

Agreed on the shock gloves, though. I always tried to use them as little as possible but then I just get my rear end kicked

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I just replayed AC and I almost never used a beatdown on an armoured thug, because it's so easy to just punch other dudes 5 times and use the takedown. On the other hand, countering everyone who runs at you while casually pummelling some poor thug into paste is one of the best things in a game ever.

Ip(bat)Man

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

In Arkham City I usually dealt with armored goons by knocking them down with the REC over and over

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Was there a thread for Arkham City when it came out? I've been trundling through the archives trying to find it but no luck so far.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Lethemonster posted:

Was there a thread for Arkham City when it came out? I've been trundling through the archives trying to find it but no luck so far.

If it's any help I remember the title was something like 'Arkham City: Democracy just doesn't work'.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I just replayed AC and I almost never used a beatdown on an armoured thug, because it's so easy to just punch other dudes 5 times and use the takedown. On the other hand, countering everyone who runs at you while casually pummelling some poor thug into paste is one of the best things in a game ever.

Seriously, just pounding on some mook in the corner and irritably batting (no pun intended) away the other thugs as they rush up to try and get you is the best.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

ImpAtom posted:

You get 1 combo takedown every 2-5 attacks and shock gloves charge almost as quickly.

Only you don't get critical hits or the shock gloves until about halfway through the game and if you like to take your time and do everything you can possibly do inbetween story bits like I do, they simply aren't options for quite a long time. And yeah, you have access to the X5 takedown option from the start, but it's laboriously put behind 6 or 7 more upgrades before it becomes an option to unlock, so for a good chunk of time you're stuck with X8.

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jul 9, 2014

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Lethemonster posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3337288

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I've been replaying Arkham City and I have the pettiest loving complaint: I refuse to believe that a tech genius/known hacker like Riddler uses passwords that are real words like "Analytical" or "Genius" or whatever. I know it's just a game design thing but it irks me.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

CuwiKhons posted:

I've been replaying Arkham City and I have the pettiest loving complaint: I refuse to believe that a tech genius/known hacker like Riddler uses passwords that are real words like "Analytical" or "Genius" or whatever. I know it's just a game design thing but it irks me.
Well, every password in Gotham City is literally composed of standard dictionary words that additionally tie in thematically with whomevers' security it is ("SERVEANDPROTECT"). Poor form all around.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

CuwiKhons posted:

I don't know if you've noticed, but everyone in the Arkhamverse is a complete moron. From your average thug blundering into your fists right up to the genius who decided to wall off part of the city and turn it into a prison.

Even Batman has some moments of extreme idiocy.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The dramatic delay of Batman's "IT WAS JOOKERRRR" after pushing Catwoman out of the way of the Joker themed laser sight is incredible.

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

The dramatic delay of Batman's "IT WAS JOOKERRRR" after pushing Catwoman out of the way of the Joker themed laser sight is incredible.

I loved Origins but I still think the best part is the thugs singing jingle bells batman smells and watching Batman's horrified face as he screams NOOOOOOOOOOOOO. And then he basically kills them.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Jerusalem posted:

Seriously, just pounding on some mook in the corner and irritably batting (no pun intended) away the other thugs as they rush up to try and get you is the best.

Yes, that's a ton of fun. It's also a great way to build up your combo quickly.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Discendo Vox posted:

Ugh, yes, I know that feel.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Ugh, yes, I know that feel.

They will never find your body. Go back to reddit.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Hey guys just wanted to share what this creep posted in the "pyf favorite little things in games" thread:

7u880y posted:

In Batman: Arkham City's Catwoman DLC Catwoman is a playable character and is extremely sexy. One of her moves is a sliding attack where you run and then slide into enemies in order to knock them over. Functionally, Batman has the same attack, but Catwoman's is kicked up a notch.

When Batman does the sliding attack he does the kind of slide you see baseball players do when they slide for a base, it looks OK and it is powerful, but Catwoman's sliding attack is just as powerful and several times more sexy. What she does is; 1) she gets on her knees, 2) she leans really far backwards so she is almost lying down 3) she spreads her legs, all of which is sexy individually, but when put together and accompined with her battle moans is probably the single most sexy move in the Arkham Series.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I too only play Batman games to get an erection.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

They will never find your body. Go back to reddit.

I wasn't referring to my irritation in a "that feel" kind of way, but whatever.

Zombie Boat posted:

Hey guys just wanted to share what this creep posted in the "pyf favorite little things in games" thread:

Well, that's... yeah.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I enjoy fictional women made out of polygons that were animated to appeal to the lowest common denominator of gamers and/or comic book nerds. This is not sad or pathetic at all.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Does anyone have that gif that shows that Catwoman's walk and movement cycles were done by a chubby asian dude in a motion capture suit?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Does anyone have that gif that shows that Catwoman's walk and movement cycles were done by a chubby asian dude in a motion capture suit?

I haven't seen that, though I do know Harley's were done by this really slim guy.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
God please post that

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Here's the link about Harley: http://uproxx.com/gammasquad/2011/09/harley-quinn-is-a-dude/

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Zombie Boat posted:

Why would somebody write this, post this, then re-read their post and think,"Yep, it was a good idea to post this."

I've solved every riddle/gotten every trophy in every Arkham game and yet this one eludes me. :cripes:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

Why would somebody write this, post this, then re-read their post and think,"Yep, it was a good idea to post this."

I've solved every riddle/gotten every trophy in every Arkham game and yet this one eludes me. :cripes:
The riddle of the human heart, Jerusalem?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Zombie Boat posted:

You know, now that I read this...

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

CuwiKhons posted:

Something something the Riddler subconsciously wants to get caught something something.

Zenzizenzizenzic
May 25, 2012

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

I can't believe the nerve of that fucker -- posting jokes to rile people up, on the comedy forums! *fights back tears and an erection*

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It was pretty obviously a joke but I do think it's pretty sad the standards for jokes have basically fallen down to "posting exactly like you're on 4chan but 'ironically' "

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's like that awfully drawn comic where some guy acts like a retard, gets told to gently caress off, and then thinks "joke's on them I was pretending to be retarded."

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
i get swirleys even at work. I am a pathetic example of a pacifist human being, therefore i get a massive erection whenever batman performs a judo throw with an immediate elbow dislocation to a random murderous goon.

Zenzizenzizenzic
May 25, 2012

Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

It's like that awfully drawn comic where some guy acts like a retard, gets told to gently caress off, and then thinks "joke's on them I was pretending to be retarded."

If I were Catwoman right now I'd flog you partially for this insanely problemo ab*eism, but also partially just for fun.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The comic literally uses the word retard. I don't particularly subscribe to using that word as a descriptor. Sorry if I offended you.

Zenzizenzizenzic
May 25, 2012

Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

The comic literally uses the word retard. I don't particularly subscribe to using that word as a descriptor. Sorry if I offended you.

Oh I know, I'm just joshing around with my Batgoon friends on the line. We're all good here. :p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I can't believe what's been said

• Locked thread