Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

TraderStav posted:

Seems like a more meaningful metric would be average viewing per event or day of event.

It's equivalent but has fewer BIG NUMBERS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
Stage 6 Arras / Reims 195km

EN - Summary - Stage 6 (Arras > Reims)
EN - The Flamme rouge - The last kilometre - Stage 6

Full results

Stage 5 Ypres > Arenberg Porte du Hainaut

EN - On-board camera - Teams CANNONDALE and TREK FACTORY RACING

Etape n°5: Ypres / Arenberg Porte du Hainaut FR 95min
Highligh Etape n°5: Ypres / Arenberg FR 13min

Boom's strava for yesterday stage
Cobblestone chaos: The Tour peloton reacts to stage 5 crashes

EN - On-board camera - Stage 4 (Le Touquet-Paris-Plage > Lille Métropole

Stage 7 Épernay / Nancy 234km

Mountain passes & hills

Km 217.5 - Côte de Maron 3.2 km at 5% - category 4
Km 229.0 - Côte de Boufflers 1.3 km at 7.9% - category 4

Intermediate sprint & Finish

Weather

Wind = 15km/h

Stage 7 Winner odds

Time schedule

Start : 11h55
Finish : 17h07 (45km/h) 17h22 (43km/h) 17h38 (41km/h)

The new boss of le tour

Mr.Nice fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 10, 2014

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's equivalent but has fewer BIG NUMBERS

To be fair it depend on the coverage and number of hours available on tv which vary greatly by country, 622 hours in Belgium, 431 hours in France, 363 in UK per year on national channel (non eurosport), in the US, it's probably less than 100hours so it may paint a grimmer picture than the situation really is. Not to mention the time zone problems + graph is World tour (so no ToC) etc.
I think the record for audience in the US for tour de France is 300k (watching live) during Armstrong's era, Germany went for 3.5millions (Ulrich era) to 1.2millions last year on average per stage.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
OP any chance you could embed the full stage profile with these previews?

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
Done,I will try post each profile before the stage with the weather added, the TDF site usually have them in the morning.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
What is that female journalist looking at?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Xabi posted:

What is that female journalist looking at?

Quadzilla

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

Vino is a good looking man imo.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

If any of you guys are gonna date/bang cyclists go for sprinters or rouleurs, maybe even TTers, they still have normal body proportions.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Pocket posted:

If any of you guys are gonna date/bang cyclists go for sprinters or rouleurs, maybe even TTers, they still have normal body proportions.

ref

Withnail posted:

In case you didn't know professional cyclist Taylor Wiles is -not- riding in the Critérium du Dauphiné Touring of France. But here are a few pictures anyway...

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
Turns out Im like 1 of about 6 Australians who watch cycling according to that graph. I mean 35 times more interest in Canada than Aus? Really?

Yes, Im commenting on statistics and not lady cyclists... what of it :colbert:

edit: Laura Meseguer on the other hand....

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Dr.Bikini BSc. CEO posted:

Turns out Im like 1 of about 6 Australians who watch cycling according to that graph. I mean 35 times more interest in Canada than Aus? Really?

Yes, Im commenting on statistics and not lady cyclists... what of it :colbert:

My family must be the other 5

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
Graph is cumulative, if you watch every single hour of pro cycling in your country and there are 100 hours, you count for 100 peoples but yeah it's not super accurate, still give an idea of popularity.

Dr.Bikini BSc. CEO posted:

She is the journalist looking at Greipel's quad in the pic above

When it come to lady cyclists, everybody knows the best are redheads or as they said in France : rousses

Marion Rousse : Pro cyclist rider in Lotto Belisol,TV Consultant for Eurosport, ambassador Mavicshe, she is the girlfriend of Tony Gallopin.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

serious gaylord posted:

To be fair, the tv coverage is just garbage in the states its like its done by amateurs.

I really appreciate the quaintness, compared to how it's covered at home, in France. It's sweet.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Actually, the tv coverage is probably one of the main reasons cycling is still as small as it is. Compared to almost any other televised sport its in the dark ages.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
It always seems like they're really bad at knowing where the hell anyone is at any given time, and slow to catch up to events that happen away from what's currently on screen.

peanut- fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jul 11, 2014

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

peanut- posted:

I always seems like they're really bad at knowing where the hell anyone is at any given time, and slow to catch up to events that happen away from what's currently on screen.

They dont have gps trackers on the riders do they? I often hear that as the main complaint from commentators. They dont have accurate timing data so they cant see if gaps are increasing/decreasing, and indeed they often don't have a clue where people actually are. They often get the breakaway riders wrong because the camera doesnt catch their number or whatever.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

serious gaylord posted:

They dont have gps trackers on the riders do they? I often hear that as the main complaint from commentators. They dont have accurate timing data so they cant see if gaps are increasing/decreasing, and indeed they often don't have a clue where people actually are. They often get the breakaway riders wrong because the camera doesnt catch their number or whatever.

They have GPS trackers on the tv bikes which is how they get the time gaps iirc. I'm sure it'd be feasible to stick timing matts down over the course occasionally just to confirm exactly who's in which group if GPS isn't possible and some live telemetry of speed and power would be loving awesome.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

They have GPS trackers on the tv bikes which is how they get the time gaps iirc. I'm sure it'd be feasible to stick timing matts down over the course occasionally just to confirm exactly who's in which group if GPS isn't possible and some live telemetry of speed and power would be loving awesome.

They've started putting gradients on screen now which is nice too.

However what I'd really like to see is an F1 style 'all your data goes to us and then we broadcast it' type of deal, so you'd be able to get comparisons of cadence, power etc between riders and in return, the teams would get a bigger slice of the tv revenue and hopefully reduce their dependency on sponsors a little.

But we all know teams wouldn't want that publicly available.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

serious gaylord posted:

Actually, the tv coverage is probably one of the main reasons cycling is still as small as it is. Compared to almost any other televised sport its in the dark ages.

I still love it. It makes me think that this must be what sports coverage was like in the earliest days of tv, when announcers created a radio style running narrative and the images were flavor

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Edit: ^^^ commentary in every sport is like this now.

serious gaylord posted:

I'm not entirely sure how the hell you'd improve it. By it's very nature, the things that are done to cover fixed-location events can't be done in cycling.

I mean, purely from a broadcast engineering point of view, we're pretty much at the pinnacle of what is doable right now. You get crisp HD pictures every day from vehicles in motion over a distance of 100-150 miles thanks to aircraft relays and satellite feeds. You could have some more cameras over mobile data connections but they'd look like poo poo on your TV. You could put data on all of the bikes or riders I guess which would give you some nice analytics.

What specifically are you looking for in a cycling broadcast that we don't have now?

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
One thing that is often underestimated is that the majority of people watching GT are not bike enthusiasts, the primary reason for watching the tour is scenery (61% scenery, 44% for mountain stage, 32% only for the competition for international audience, it's 23,16,12% for France). Even for those along the road one of the main motivation is the caravan. ( Inrng : Vive L’Indifférence )

fartmanteau
Mar 15, 2007

I was hoping this would be the year we'd see drones, though that would be a pretty amazing feat. They're pretty spectacular in CX coverage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKq0oFfA_Mc

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

thehustler posted:

Edit: ^^^ commentary in every sport is like this now.

I'm not entirely sure how the hell you'd improve it. By it's very nature, the things that are done to cover fixed-location events can't be done in cycling.

I mean, purely from a broadcast engineering point of view, we're pretty much at the pinnacle of what is doable right now. You get crisp HD pictures every day from vehicles in motion over a distance of 100-150 miles thanks to aircraft relays and satellite feeds. You could have some more cameras over mobile data connections but they'd look like poo poo on your TV. You could put data on all of the bikes or riders I guess which would give you some nice analytics.

What specifically are you looking for in a cycling broadcast that we don't have now?

Just more information. The picture quality is not the issue, its not knowing where riders are, what their timing gaps are etc. I was watching Stage 5 and it was clear Nibali was putting time in to Contador but I had to wait 10-15 minutes for a time gap to come up on screen. You also had commentators guessing about who was in what group because there wasnt a camera there. They had no idea Porte and Thomas had jumped until they were almost out of shot of the camera focussing on the favourites.

Basically more information is better.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yeah, giving the commentators the ability to relay more information than just describing what's happening on the screen would be good.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If you have gps on the camera bikes computing gap times is primary school math.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

peanut- posted:

Yeah, giving the commentators the ability to relay more information than just describing what's happening on the screen would be good.

That would be awesome. They just need a second screen with all of the timing/position information on, like in F1 when you get this:

Obviously formatted and presented in a way that would be relevant to cycling, with all the group information in. If every rider wore a transponder of some kind that reported certain data, it could be received at the stage finish and presented to the media. You could also stream it live on the net as the F1 website does.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

Isn't this how it's done already?

Edit: http://cyclingtips.com.au/2012/06/how-time-gaps-are-calculated/

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

The issue is there's only so many bikes and on narrow roads they can't get through to each group

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006

Elmiger, Huzarski, Pichot, Delaplace, Edet et Busche with a 3'25" lead, best ranked at GC is Elmiger at 9'25" from Nibali.

According to le tour medical report, Delaplace is on anti inflammatoire, i e Corticosteroid

Cannondale on the front of the peloton but the rest doesn't seem interest to chase. Could be the first breakaway win of the tour.

Live start at 2:15pm CET (in 75min)

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

evil_bunnY posted:

No problem when you have Peloton/Breakaway. The issue comes from when people disintegrate on climbs and you have riders all over the shop. Theres only so many cameras and I'd like to know that Talansky is 24 seconds behind Contador and losing more every minute.#

At the moment, you might not even know Talansky isnt in the main group unless you're lucky enough for a camera bike to spot him dropping.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Mr.Nice posted:

Elmiger, Huzarski, Pichot, Delaplace, Edet et Busche with a 3'25" lead, best ranked at GC is Elmiger at 9'25" from Nibali.

According to le tour medical report, Delaplace is on anti inflammatoire, i e Corticosteroid

Cannondale on the front of the peloton but the rest doesn't seem interest to chase. Could be the first breakaway win of the tour.

Live start at 2:15pm CET (in 75min)

It's almost certainly something like ibuprofen which is a non-steroidal anti inflammatory drug rather then a corticosteroid

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Any more info on Hernandez. They seemed quite concerned with his head injury yesterday.

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

Any more info on Hernandez. They seemed quite concerned with his head injury yesterday.

Latest news :
Jesus Hernandez is staying with team for two days as they're not confident he can take the plane now. He is being monitored by team doc #tdf
https://twitter.com/julienpretotRTR/status/487554251338825728

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

It's almost certainly something like ibuprofen which is a non-steroidal anti inflammatory drug rather then a corticosteroid

It was for a Knee injury so I assumed wrongly it was something stronger, still surprised to see him in the break today.

Stef Clement is also out of the race, crashed a few minutes ago.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Race radio just said hes being taken to hospital. The tour just cant ride bikes this year.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
The hits keep coming for Wiggo

Brailsford posted:

It's just unfortunate for Chris, he's worked ever so hard to be in good shape and really believed he could win this race.
We will, I'm sure, see him in the Vuelta and go from there. If it makes sense, if it's the right thing to do from the performance point of view, then why not?

Brailsford posted:

It (the Vuelta) is not confirmed yet (for Wiggins)

http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/news/55388/froome-eyes-vuelta-and-wiggins-too

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Those female cyclists...

:vince:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Am I crazy, or did they not pick up coverage until the second half of the stage? Watching the British EuroSport stream, if it makes a difference.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Am I crazy, or did they not pick up coverage until the second half of the stage? Watching the British EuroSport stream, if it makes a difference.

There's only so many château's and windmills you can talk about when there's not much happening on the road, especially on flat stages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If I'm not mistaken the feed always starts at 14:15 CET. For stage 4 this meant you got to see practically the complete stage, for long stages like today it means you miss a lot of kms, but nothing much happens there anyway.