Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Intoluene posted:

Should be a send-off.

If late hits on kickers or spear tackles aren't I can't imagine they'd start there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
There are no referees in Origin. Merely Entertainment facilitators.

Origin is Bill Harrigans lovechild, and lets face it, it is rather shite as a spectacle.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

iajanus posted:

If late hits on kickers or spear tackles aren't I can't imagine they'd start there

Late headshots on kickers, too. I'll give you that one.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
The blatant disregard the refs have for enforcing the rules of the game makes origin poo poo.

BobTheDestroyer
Dec 21, 2011
Wally Lewis is the worst commentator. Its less about describing plays and more about drinking beer and having the best seat in the house with a mike

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Can't believe that the refs still refuse to use the bin. The players are just taking the piss now.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
All over Red Rover. NSW have seriously been pretty ill disciplined, and have had very little ideas in attack. And Cronk is a decent half back.

Injuries got NSW this series, they have a better forward pack on paper, but they still need a decent halves pairing. Anasta's dream may not be dead (even if his bicep is).

Jejunity Jay
Sep 18, 2012

BobTheDestroyer posted:

Wally Lewis is the worst commentator. Its less about describing plays and more about drinking beer and having the best seat in the house with a mike

Yeah his great isn't he :swoon:

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Christ did you guys see that swinging arm Reynolds tried to hit Guerra with then? They're both really loving lucky it missed.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
What's that, the third try off a forward pass? I lost count, guys.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Again, amazing what a bin could do. Haven't seen it for a while, I think it's where they keep the Origin rule book.

malmal
Jan 28, 2009
They needed to rebreak coopers arm. Poor game plan.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

malmal posted:

They needed to rebreak coopers arm. Poor game plan.

I call that the Inglis-Barrett method. And Trent didn't get sent off either if memory serves.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Deserved result, but I'm still pissed that the refs won't bin anyone. The game could be so much better if they used their rules correctly.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

iajanus posted:

Deserved result, but I'm still pissed that the refs won't bin anyone. The game could be so much better if they used their rules correctly.

I think that's a motto for league in general. Along with no rape, no dogs and no peeing. If they are not going to enforce a rule, then remove it. Otherwise do your job.

Oh dear, time for awkward post game ceremony.

Gallen, ah there IS a god.

MiniSune fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jul 9, 2014

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Still not sure why we can't do the ceremony when the thing is won, rather than this awkward poo poo

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

iajanus posted:

Still not sure why we can't do the ceremony when the thing is won, rather than this awkward poo poo

I don't know, was redeemed a little by that reaction to Gallen getting player of the series, but your point is valid.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

In news that should surprise nobody, Liam Fulton has retired effective immediately. Now I'm worried what the results of the scans he got were; hope they weren't too bad and this is just being safe for his future.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

I hope its nothing to severe. I really hope this is the year the NRL actually get serious about player health and safety. Besides concussion and McKinnon there needs to be a system in place for all the players all grades, not just the popular high profile players. I'm going to write a letter when I can to the NRL boss beyond that I'm guessing its something that can only be agitated for through the clubs.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Bennett is leaving the Knights.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Busy day in rugby league today

- Wolfman banned from playing the rest of the season due to betting
- Liam Fulton retires
- Bennett quitting the Knights at the end of the year
- Darius Boyd doesn't surprise anyone with a terrible media presence
http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/darius-boyds-best-worst-interview/
- Trent Merrin out for a month with injury
- Reynolds, Teo and that guy that leads with the head and elbow all facing weeks on the sideline from Origin

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

bowmore posted:

Busy day in rugby league today

- Wolfman banned from playing the rest of the season due to betting
- Liam Fulton retires
- Bennett quitting the Knights at the end of the year
- Darius Boyd doesn't surprise anyone with a terrible media presence
http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/darius-boyds-best-worst-interview/
- Trent Merrin out for a month with injury
- Reynolds, Teo and that guy that leads with the head and elbow all facing weeks on the sideline from Origin

Bird has to be facing something for his lifting tackle on Myles, surely?

edit: also Darius Boyd is a spergy prick but I hate those airport ambush 'interviews' so that reporter can get hosed.

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jul 10, 2014

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Smorgasbord posted:

Bird has to be facing something for his lifting tackle on Myles, surely?

edit: also Darius Boyd is a spergy prick but I hate those airport ambush 'interviews' so that reporter can get hosed.
I'd have to agree with you on the reporter getting hosed thing

Also I have no idea if Bird got charged

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
Greg Bird almost getting his throat crushed by Nate Myles was fun.

I'd like to know what Williams's gambling involved, as well as everyone else that copped a suspension.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Jono C posted:

I'd like to know what Williams's gambling involved, as well as everyone else that copped a suspension.

http://www.nrl.com/nrl-statement-on-betting-on-rugby-league/tabid/10874/newsid/80135/default.aspx

Rest of the season seems awfully lenient considering he bet on games he was involved in.

Also Bird was suspended for 2 games so that's good. Oh and Reynolds copped 3 weeks for that shoulder charge to the jaw that the commentators said was nothing.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Jono C posted:

According to SMH, he bet quite a bit on RL matches, and had a few bets on matches he played in. Not clear if he bet on the other side.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

MiniSune posted:

According to SMH, he bet quite a bit on RL matches, and had a few bets on matches he played in. Not clear if he bet on the other side.

Given that he's not banned for life and facing criminal charges I suppose he must've just had simple head to head bets on Manly to win.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It's pretty drat lenient but I don't know if he's on contract next year of even getting game time at Manly right now anyway

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

It's message sending. We'd need more details to see whether it was soft or not.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Hopefully this is the only time we see a helicopter on the field this year.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

iajanus posted:

Hopefully this is the only time we see a helicopter on the field this year.

If you needed any more evidence manly are a pack of cunts their #1 ticket is Tony Abbott

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Byolante posted:

If you needed any more evidence manly are a pack of cunts their #1 ticket is Tony Abbott

Pretty sure nobody was in doubt.

Feel bad for the little kid, since he's a Tigers fan. Who would want a manly jersey or to be stuck in close proximity to Abbott if they weren't armed.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Robbed.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
What the gently caress? That was a try.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Complete loving bullshit

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Didn't take long for the first bullshit call for manly

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

iajanus posted:

Complete loving bullshit

I thought it was a try live, and the replay confirmed it.

If Manly gets this, the fix is in. The decoy is obliged to avoid the line.

E: Well gently caress. Not sure if I should bother with the rest of this.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
welp

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

More pissed off by a game than I have been in a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

To be honest the manly one was a try, brooks hosed up and took the decoy. Can't believe we've been hosed by Hayne yet again. Our record under him is abysmal, and there's always poo poo calls.

• Locked thread